Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

I am having terrible food cravings. I was doing great today. Went to a kid's birthday party (lots of cupcakes, junk food) and was fine. I did have a cup of coffee which is rare for me. Right now I need to be talked off the ledge as I just want to eat some chocolate or some crackers. ARRGHH. I think I will go take a bath and get away from the kitchen.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are your favorite fast fix meals? One that has worked well for me and is economical is Trader Joes Lime Chicken Burgers, guacamole (TJs or Wholy Gucamole) and salsa. Fast, cheap and satisfying. Trying to get some other ideas together for the protein/fat meal part.

We make a ton of beef burgers once a week, and sometiems chicken breasts. I do those with veggies (raw or cooked) and some nuts as my go-to lunch.

Now that my Whole30 is over, and after reading the latest reader story posted on this site yesterday, I realize why I'm disappointed:

Despite being extremely overweight, I don't really have any health problems that bother me on a day-to-day basis or that require medicine. No migraines, asthma problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, etc. My biggest health problem currently is carrying so much extra weight. My motivation to get healthy is to fit better into this world (airplane seats, "regular" clothing stores) as well as avoid the issues that seem inevitable at my current weight.

A lot of people seem to come out of the Whole30 having conquered (or at least improved) various medical/mental issues, but in the absence of those issues, weight loss is the MAIN thing I want to have happen. I did lose 12 lbs over this 30 days, but to be honest, I expected to lose a lot more than that. I feel like I've been eating such healthy food, resisting all temptations (save those Lara bars last weekend), and spending SO MUCH MONEY that to only lose 12 lbs is a disappointment.

It makes me think that my hormones are still way out of wack. Oh yeah, just remembered that I *do* have a medical issue: PCOS. Forgot about that. Anyway, and maybe related to the PCOS, I still need to get my hormones in check so that the weight loss can happen.

Tomorrow I'm going to take pictures in my "before" dress (which is too small) and label it "in progress 1" as I'm not even close to the "after." Then I will get busy cooking several more recipes from Well Fed, as I *do* believe that this is a better way to eat than what I was doing before. Hopefully within a few months of sticking thisclose to paleo/whole30-style eating, I will fit that dress and have a comfortable plane ride to Jamaica for my birthday.

Side note/rant: I don't even understand why I'm as big as I am. Even before Whole30, and maybe the reason I didn't have those early detox symptoms that many have, I wasn't eating THAT bad! Since my 6-months of Atkins 10 years ago, I've laid off bread, rice, pasta, soda for the most part. I never add sugar to any beverages (going with Splenda or Stevia instead). I was eating vegetables and some fruit. Breakfast was often green smoothies (coconut or almond milk, kale or spinach, a little frozen fruit, a spoon of nut butter or avocado for fat,, brown rice protein powder); Lunch was often a protein from the cafeteria with two veggie sides.... I often skipped the bread. I feel like my general efforts are not reflected by my body. I definitely over-indulged in cookies/pastries, but I can't imagine that that was enough to warrant my size. Time for some serious introspection on what I've been doing and will do going forward.

Now that my Whole30 is over, and after reading the latest reader story posted on this site yesterday, I realize why I'm disappointed:

Despite being extremely overweight, I don't really have any health problems that bother me on a day-to-day basis or that require medicine. No migraines, asthma problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, etc. My biggest health problem currently is carrying so much extra weight. My motivation to get healthy is to fit better into this world (airplane seats, "regular" clothing stores) as well as avoid the issues that seem inevitable at my current weight.

A lot of people seem to come out of the Whole30 having conquered (or at least improved) various medical/mental issues, but in the absence of those issues, weight loss is the MAIN thing I want to have happen. I did lose 12 lbs over this 30 days, but to be honest, I expected to lose a lot more than that. I feel like I've been eating such healthy food, resisting all temptations (save those Lara bars last weekend), and spending SO MUCH MONEY that to only lose 12 lbs is a disappointment.

It makes me think that my hormones are still way out of wack. Oh yeah, just remembered that I *do* have a medical issue: PCOS. Forgot about that. Anyway, and maybe related to the PCOS, I still need to get my hormones in check so that the weight loss can happen.

Tomorrow I'm going to take pictures in my "before" dress (which is too small) and label it "in progress 1" as I'm not even close to the "after." Then I will get busy cooking several more recipes from Well Fed, as I *do* believe that this is a better way to eat than what I was doing before. Hopefully within a few months of sticking thisclose to paleo/whole30-style eating, I will fit that dress and have a comfortable plane ride to Jamaica for my birthday.

Side note/rant: I don't even understand why I'm as big as I am. Even before Whole30, and maybe the reason I didn't have those early detox symptoms that many have, I wasn't eating THAT bad! Since my 6-months of Atkins 10 years ago, I've laid off bread, rice, pasta, soda for the most part. I never add sugar to any beverages (going with Splenda or Stevia instead). I was eating vegetables and some fruit. Breakfast was often green smoothies (coconut or almond milk, kale or spinach, a little frozen fruit, a spoon of nut butter or avocado for fat,, brown rice protein powder); Lunch was often a protein from the cafeteria with two veggie sides.... I often skipped the bread. I feel like my general efforts are not reflected by my body. I definitely over-indulged in cookies/pastries, but I can't imagine that that was enough to warrant my size. Time for some serious introspection on what I've been doing and will do going forward.

12 pounds in 30 days is awesome!!!!! YOU did great!! If you lose weight too quickly, it's not healthy and will probably come right back. I would count your 12 pounds as a great success and know that you've started down a much healthier road. You're lucky now not to suffer from other major medical issues, but if you continued to carry extra weight, you may run into those medical issues eventually. I say CONGRATULATIONS and keep up the good work!!

Helen- so sorry! I did not see your post until this morning. All I have to offer at this point is if you haven't gone of plan already be strong! Your almost there!!! Trust me you will be disappointed if you quit now.

I decided Friday that I am starting completely over on Monday. I am clearly doing something wrong and have discovered that some of the things I thought were safe are not. This could be why I have not seen the results I wanted. Discovering that i screwed up despite all my efforts really sent me off the deep end. Many of the spices I cook with have gluten in them!!! :( If anyone can recommend a GF brand please do.

I am also going to restart with the mind frame of veggies first and meat/protein as a side. I think we ended up with more of an Atkins mind set in my house and were on like a meat free-for-all of sorts. Nuts are out too, ok not completely out but I was eating them several times a day. And yoga . . . Discovered that I love ashtanga yoga this week so the crazy stressful workouts are out for 45 days. That's right, I'm committing to 45 days starting tomorrow. 30 is not enough for me :)

So anyway . . . I will still be here posting a way and I am going to start a blog (I think) so you guys don't have to read my rants and rambles everyday ;)

My motivation to get healthy is to fit better into this world (airplane seats, "regular" clothing stores) as well as avoid the issues that seem inevitable at my current weight.

I did lose 12 lbs over this 30 days, but to be honest, I expected to lose a lot more than that.

It makes me think that my hormones are still way out of wack. Oh yeah, just remembered that I *do* have a medical issue: PCOS.

...I *do* believe that this is a better way to eat than what I was doing before. Hopefully within a few months of sticking thisclose to paleo/whole30-style eating, I will fit that dress and have a comfortable plane ride to Jamaica for my birthday.[/size]

I totally get your motivation. I've said the identical words over and over. For this Whole30 I had to take my emphasis off of Bad Nila Too Big For The World and put it on other measurable factors.

For me, I feel like this first 30 (I'm on day 27) is about resetting my body. I want to see big numbers when I get on the scale and I'm bracing myself for the possibility that the weight measure will be something I'll see over time.

I can also identify with the "why am I so big if I do eat pretty well" thought. I've been unravelling this for years for myself, working with a functional medicine physician for the past 4 of those years and years. He's measured and looked at things my old docs never did and thus discovered lots of off things that conspire to keep me metabolically deranged.

I'm no medical professional so throw out these thoughts and questions if they're meaningless... With PCOS, have you considered the possibility of other hidden issues...autoimmune, etc? Have you looked at inflammation markers (insulin, CRP)?

Finally, I'm thrilled to read that you're walking through your disappointment and carrying on, that you're imagining yourself in that after dress and comfortable in that airplane seat. I love reading your thoughts, ideas...your commitment...your success...your humor. I'd love to keep reading such.

I decided Friday that I am starting completely over on Monday. I am clearly doing something wrong and have discovered that some of the things I thought were safe are not. This could be why I have not seen the results I wanted. Discovering that i screwed up despite all my efforts really sent me off the deep end. Many of the spices I cook with have gluten in them!!! If anyone can recommend a GF brand please do.

I am also going to restart with the mind frame of veggies first and meat/protein as a side. I think we ended up with more of an Atkins mind set in my house and were on like a meat free-for-all of sorts. Nuts are out too, ok not completely out but I was eating them several times a day. And yoga . . . Discovered that I love ashtanga yoga this week so the crazy stressful workouts are out for 45 days. That's right, I'm committing to 45 days starting tomorrow. 30 is not enough for me

So anyway . . . I will still be here posting a way and I am going to start a blog (I think) so you guys don't have to read my rants and rambles everyday

Gluten in your spices? Yikes! What brand have you been using? I *think* Penzey's has lots of safe stuff, as I think is Frontier that you can buy in bulk or bottles at Whole Foods and other health food stores. I order a lot of my seasonings from Mountain Rose Herbs.

I understand the meat free for all. When I first gave up grains, sugar and dairy, I seemingly forgot vegetables existed. That's been a big difference for me in this Whole30.

I'm sorry you had to go through the disappointment and have to start over. Selfishly I'm glad you'll still be around. :) I'll need the company as I keep cruising on this WholeWhatever. Your ramblings are appreciated. Put them here if you wish. If you blog, do give us a link.

I decided Friday that I am starting completely over on Monday. I am clearly doing something wrong and have discovered that some of the things I thought were safe are not. This could be why I have not seen the results I wanted. Discovering that i screwed up despite all my efforts really sent me off the deep end. Many of the spices I cook with have gluten in them!!! :( If anyone can recommend a GF brand please do.

I am also going to restart with the mind frame of veggies first and meat/protein as a side. I think we ended up with more of an Atkins mind set in my house and were on like a meat free-for-all of sorts. Nuts are out too, ok not completely out but I was eating them several times a day. And yoga . . . Discovered that I love ashtanga yoga this week so the crazy stressful workouts are out for 45 days. That's right, I'm committing to 45 days starting tomorrow. 30 is not enough for me :)

So anyway . . . I will still be here posting a way and I am going to start a blog (I think) so you guys don't have to read my rants and rambles everyday ;)

I agree with you...found sneaky things like sugar, maple syrup and honey in things after I ate them. Also, I feel like I am eating too much fat (too much coconut, nuts and avocados), and I think you have a good point of focusing on the veg...I have a hard time eating veggies at breakfast. I really wanted a glass of wine February 1, as I promised myself a booze-free January. I will start it all over again after that! We can do this! :)

12 pounds is pretty awesome but I totally get your diappointment. I do have depression and I do not think that Whole30 can help with my depression any more than what I already do nutrionally (I have had it all my life and I manage it very well). But I know how you feel about the weight loss being really important to you. I am predicting I will only lose about 2-5 pounds as I lose weight very slowly too. Losing weight is not that easy and personally I do not believe there is a program that is going to help you lose 50 pounds in a month or even a few months. I gained about 50 pounds since the birth of my children (oldest turning 6 next week). It took me almost a year to lose 30 pounds and I am hoping to lose 10 (and maintain this year). I literally exercise every single day which helps me maintain my sanity but I equate weight loss with being in debt. It is a slow process to reverse what accumulated typically over a long period of time. The process of this program helped me to really look at what I am consuming and why I need to consume healthy foods and recognize my emotional eating issues. *Sigh*. I am not helping. I think you have done an awesome job and I love hearing about your progress. I wish you would have just been elated today I guess!!

I think you might enjoy reading this woman's journey. I read it last night and certainly was inspired! http://www.thepaleomom.com/

Helen- so sorry! I did not see your post until this morning. All I have to offer at this point is if you haven't gone of plan already be strong! Your almost there!!! Trust me you will be disappointed if you quit now.

I took a bath and read about a woman who lost 40 pounds doing yoga in Prevention magazine. She is my height and reminded me a lot of myself (and she is 60!!). So no going off the program. I hate that I had those cravings last night though. I feel like all that kept me from gorging was this program if that makes sense. Sigh. But glad I resisted :)

I LOVE Ashtanga yoga! I am so excited for you. Ashtanga is like a physical meditation. So good for the mind/body.

As for spices, I get everything at health food type stores. No gluten.

I don't like meat much but I do think you have to make veggies first to make this work and control your portions. A palm size piece of meat is all that we are supposed to be eating per meal and honestly that is not all that much.

I am keeping on too, I plan on a Whole 45. I have to go through Feb 1st regardless as I ate a cup of greek yogurt the first two mornings of my Whole30. Will love reading your blog!

I just made some mayo. Got the dregs in my blender. What did you add to make the ranch?

vinegar, Italian seasoning, garlic and salt and pepper for the creamy Italian...paprika and parsley for the ranch, says chives but I didn't have those (page 59 if you have Well Fed)

All of your posts have helped me get thru this month that I MUST respond! 12 pounds is awesome in 30 days as an accomplishment in itself! I've lost about 10 but what I'm most excited about is, I believe I lost VISCERAL fat on this diet - that fat built up around my internal organs that will kill me early and you did too! I'm not sure that a type of diet can target certain fat but my middle seems smaller for the first time in years and I'm eager to do the test that shows fat levels in liver. Get 12 pounds of something together to look at and tell yourself your organs are free of all that poisonous fat!

Also - I haven't been doing a real exercise program while on my 30 days other than walking occasionally (I know naughty) but I can only handle so much at a time. But something I learned in past is, cardio only doesn't work for me for weight loss. I've done daily 5ks, spinning everyday for months, etc. and lost 0. But when I do something like p90x or 10 min trainer which mixes in anaerobic exercise, the weight comes off (not sure if others experience this). I'm a type 1 diabetic for 10 years (diagnosed at age 35) - which is totally nuts and am trying to figure how that happened.

But Anyway - thanks for all the posts this month Natpat. And don't be disappointed!

You did an awesome job with great success on the scale and tons of homemade cooking! Pictures are a great motivator. I took some for the first 3 weeks...skipped this week when I got discouraged, but it is a great visual of progress. Clothes are even a better indicator than weight loss and you will ROCK that dress!!!! :D

Help! I need suggestions for gluten free spices, vanilla, enzymes, and, probiotics. Discovered over the weekend that my spices have gluten, my vanilla has corn syrup and probably gluten, and I need supplements that are legal! I am reading practical paleo and I have so much work to do on my leaky gut. Nuts and seeds are now out and coffee is out too! Can't give up eggs though . . . Always learning :)

I was just buying the same old store brand cheap spices and stuff at Walmart :P guess its time to shop online.

Hi all,

I haven't had time to check in with you all. It's almost coming to a close. The last 2 weeks have in some ways been easier some not. The first to weeks were tough beacuse of the sleep issues and dreams and crankiness but my resolve was strong. The last two weeks, I've felt great but I was ready to just eat. I stood firm though.

Last weekend, I threw my little sister a bridal shower. I made all the food and was able to throw in a some deviled eggs that were whole 30 approved. I made the cupcakes too. So, twice this month I baked and did not even have one lick of frosting. I did have one small slip up. I had about 2 T of hummus, not thinking that it was a legume. BUMMER. This made me mad for not thinking it through. I just chalked it up to a mistake and let it go and forgave myself.

My main thing was to lose weight as well. I am about 80 lbs overweight. So, VERY overweight. 12 lbs is AMAZING to lose in a month. I won't even come close to that. I think you should be thrilled. This isn't The Biggest Loser. 12 lbs is MORE than an ideal number. Great job!

Help! I need suggestions for gluten free spices, vanilla, enzymes, and, probiotics. Discovered over the weekend that my spices have gluten, my vanilla has corn syrup and probably gluten, and I need supplements that are legal! I am reading practical paleo and I have so much work to do on my leaky gut. Nuts and seeds are now out and coffee is out too! Can't give up eggs though . . . Always learning :)

I was just buying the same old store brand cheap spices and stuff at Walmart :P guess its time to shop online.

I found out my probiotics have freaking potato starch :angry: in them so I can't help you there and need to find something else. I do have a recommendation for you that I got from a naturopathic physician when I transitioned from being a vegan to eating meat. Helps with digestion of proteins big time, take them with every meal. Robb Wolf even talks about it in his Paleo books. Betaine HCL & Pepsin capsules by Thorne Research - you can get them on Amazon.com.

@NatPatBen, I hope you are perhaps feeling a bit more optimistic today? W30 is a lot of work, SO much work. Outside of job and family basics, I have done nothing in the last month but think, read, learn, shop, spend, shop, buy, cook and clean. So, I totally get wanting a whoppingly measurable bang for your buck. (IMHO, and I know you know this intellectually, 12 pounds is excellent). I think for me the magic trickles in, and manifests as the acumulation of all the imperceptibles. Oil, bit by bit, to make mayo. And ranch.

Speaking of which, now I'm paranoid about my spices. I'll have to go though all of them tomorrow :huh:.

Oh my gosh. I hope I didnt freak everybody out with my spice discovery. The singles spices seem to be ok usually. It's the mixed ones and rubs that are bad and my husband apparently has been using them alot when he has cooked. I just didn't even think to ask or to check them. I mean there spices for god's sake. Also, my vanilla that is labelled 100% pure vanilla has corn syrup in it. After looking on line, I guess vanilla is just on the no list unless I make my own. My digestive enzymes- made with oat fiber or something so

I have order the Now brand.

Oh my gosh. I hope I didnt freak everybody out with my spice discovery. The singles spices seem to be ok usually. It's the mixed ones and rubs that are bad and my husband apparently has been using them alot when he has cooked. I just didn't even think to ask or to check them. I mean there spices for god's sake. Also, my vanilla that is labelled 100% pure vanilla has corn syrup in it. After looking on line, I guess vanilla is just on the no list unless I make my own. My digestive enzymes- made with oat fiber or something so

I have order the Now brand.

You can get pure vanilla at a health food store. It is expensive though but worth it. Have you ever shopped at a local food co-op? Mine is small but awesome. Local meats, eggs, milk, veggies, etc. And they have pure bulk spices!

Have you ever done yoga? I am obsessed with yoga. Like anything else you have to really search around but there are a lot of really great instructors that can work with you one one one and teach you all the safe modifications. My main instructor is also a LMT. Yoga has changed my life in more ways than I can say. I want to do crossfit maybe in the Fall. I don't have time in my schedule to commit to it right now but the strength training will help repair your back too. It is all about building up your core strength to help relieve back pain but you have to go slow with injuries.

Only on my Wii Fit. I will have to see what is available in this area.

Can you share that recipe for me, please? I have a good friend from Louisiana and her sister's about to go GF (her daughter is on the autism spectrum). I bet she'd love something she could make that's like home.

I can tell you all the ingredients and how we do it, but we never measure when we cook gumbo. So...

Cut up your chicken (we do a whole chicken and we de-bone ours and boil the bones for all of the stock that we use to cook the gumbo). In another pot, we put about one and a half pounds of okra into a large pot with a little chicken stock to begin cooking it down. If the okra gets slimy, put a little vinegar (a tablespoon at a time until the slime is gone). Once that is cooked down, add onions, green peppers, celery (whatever vegges you cook with), add water and stock (depends on how big your pot is - about half way up the pot), add your smoked sausage (we use about one and a half pounds, cut up in about 1 inch pieces - you can also use Tasso, if available, but you don't need nearly as much) now and then cook until boiling then let simmer for about an hour. Then add your chicken. Bring to a boil and continue to cook fairly high until the chicken is cooked. Throughout the cooking process, we continue to add stock to the pot. The okra will thicken the gumbo. We add boiled eggs (peeled). Season to taste.

Archived