Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Most delicious lunch I've ever had:

Ginger-lime shrimp on top of garlic mashed cauliflower, cumin-roasted carrots, and 1/2 banana sliced with drops of sunflower butter on it and a sprinkle of carmaleized coconut flakes in cinnamon on top.

omg.... drooling. you made this?

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emergency question to my W30 peeps!

Should I but a Cuisinart DLC-2007N 7-Cup Food Processor NEW in the box.

on Craigslist for $70 (firm)

I have to let the guy know and I'm doing this thing where I get undecided and my brain starts skipping. Help!

YES!! I paid $100 for mine!

Ginger-lime shrimp on top of garlic mashed cauliflower, cumin-roasted carrots, and 1/2 banana sliced with drops of sunflower butter on it and a sprinkle of carmaleized coconut flakes in cinnamon on top.

@Dukunbayi, I had coffee today for the first time in weeks (I tried it once during Whole30, but didn't like it without sweetener). I think I may be giving it up for good. It helps that I don't really like the taste, even with a lot of coconut milk.

Sounds fantastic. You are such a cooking inspiration. I am trying to eat up what we have but next shopping trip I am going to try the mashed cauliflower!

Thanks everyone for being so supportive. I am so sorry to be such a drag. But I was so mad this morning at the thought of doing this and not achieving what I want. I have been as compliant as I can be with the exception of some questionable spices and vanilla as previously mentioned. So I don't know what to think. I understand the whole water retention thing but that does really explain inches gained unless its major water retention like my patients see. There are only a few areas I can see needing improvement. I eat nut butter at least once a day, I don't eat enough leafy greens (I hate salad dressing). And maybe my meat portions are too big.? They said not to weigh and measure so I ate according to appetite :/ I thought that was kind of the point. Also I'm confused after reading practical paleo. She says if fat loss is the goal that you should not add extra fat to your meals .?

I have been doing P90X so is it possible that I gained that much muscle and just can't see it yet?

Btw . . . I did some research and all McCormick single spices are gluten free :)

And I need breakfast ideas that heavy in the veg and not so much eggs and bacon.

Thanks for the encouragement. I had several tests done a few weeks ago, but not sure if those were included. My A1C level was measured, if that's what measures insulin. Not sure about CRP. I did ask her to check that my thyroid is functioning properly. The only thing the doctor found was the Vitamin D deficiency. I have a follow-up in a couple of months to see if my Vitamin D level improved; I'll see about checking inflammatory markers then.

A1C doesn't measure insulin, it measures blood glucose.

I'm liking your new plan and so, so, so glad to "hear" you more "up" today. Yay!

@Dukunbayi, I had coffee today for the first time in weeks (I tried it once during Whole30, but didn't like it without sweetener). I think I may be giving it up for good. It helps that I don't really like the taste, even with a lot of coconut milk.

I sure wish that I a) liked seafood and B) were not allergic to it. My protein world is awfully small because I don't eat anything that has lived in water.

Hey, jtota, you're coming into this from a vegan diet, right? I feel like former vegan + Whole30 + P90X = recipe for muscle gain. Otherwise, where are you in your cycle? Are you adding a lot of salt to your food? Those are always two big contributors to bloat for me.

I think the general wisdom of the Whole30/paleo crowd is that reducing carb/starch intake is key for weight loss. I haven't been able to give up delicious, delicous sweet potatoes this Whole30, but I'm seriously considering it for the next month...

For those of you who will still be eating compliantly for the Super Bowl, what are y'all going to make for the game? I'm thinking about bringing my own containers of sliced cucumbers, plus deviled eggs and dairy-less chicken liver mousse.

I sure wish that I a) liked seafood and B) were not allergic to it. My protein world is awfully small because I don't eat anything that has lived in water.

Even fish? Are you allergic to fish or just don't like it?

I don't eat pork (the thought suddenly disgusted me starting about 5 years ago), which I feel is a tad restrictive. I like the smell of bacon, but get grossed out at the thought of eating it.

Thank you to the person who recommended paleomom's website to me over the weekend. I read some of the info on there today (but a lot won't show up on my work computer thanks to our super outdated browser) and will read more on my phone on the bus going home today. I felt like I could relate to her weight loss story in that I also lost a nice chunk of weight going low-carb ~10 years ago, but I wasn't focusing on HEALTHY/real food... Now, I'm losing slower but am eating healthier (and having more fruit/sweet potato than I had then).

I don't eat pork (the thought suddenly disgusted me starting about 5 years ago), which I feel is a tad restrictive. I like the smell of bacon, but get grossed out at the thought of eating it.

I'm allergic to shellfish. Scallops or crab-cakes make my face swell and cause breathing difficulties. I haven't had any for years. I don't like fish - haven't liked it my whole life. I can tolerate super mild fish (tilapia or really fresh cod are only ones I can think of) when it's battered or breaded and deep-fried; in other words, when it no longer tastes like fish or resembles healthy food. And of course, I don't feel so hot after eating it that way. The smell of salmon makes me ill. Tuna...oh how I wish I liked tuna because carrying that would make life easier at times. I even despise sushi, including the vegetarian kind because the wrap tastes like fish. Seaweed salad...ewww. I'm extremely sensitive to the smell or taste of sea-anything.

Have you thought, "dang, this girl's crazy!" yet? Because I get that look when I tell people any part of this. :D

I do, however, like being in the ocean, just not eating from it.

For those of you who will still be eating compliantly for the Super Bowl, what are y'all going to make for the game? I'm thinking about bringing my own containers of sliced cucumbers, plus deviled eggs and dairy-less chicken liver mousse.

I was thinking of making deviled eggs, bringing tons snap/peas and carrot, a mixed salad and I am making two batches of almond banana bread and bringing almond butter. Unfortunately, my friends will all eat this up (especially the wives!) first. I will probably throw some larabars in for good measure ino my purse!

Thank you to the person who recommended paleomom's website to me over the weekend. I read some of the info on there today (but a lot won't show up on my work computer thanks to our super outdated browser) and will read more on my phone on the bus going home today. I felt like I could relate to her weight loss story in that I also lost a nice chunk of weight going low-carb ~10 years ago, but I wasn't focusing on HEALTHY/real food... Now, I'm losing slower but am eating healthier (and having more fruit/sweet potato than I had then).

You don't eat bacon?? I love bacon :) Although I didn't realize my Applegate farms uncured bacon had sugar until the 3rd week (luckily we only have bacon on Sunday and so I was only 'not compliant' once). I kind of wish I had never known, lol.

I really got a lot from Paleomom too. I don't have the same background but I am a scientist and I work part-time now teaching and trying to decide what to do when my youngest is in school all day (plus she loves yoga!). I'm glad you liked her too :)

I'm allergic to shellfish. Scallops or crab-cakes make my face swell and cause breathing difficulties. I haven't had any for years. I don't like fish - haven't liked it my whole life. I can tolerate super mild fish (tilapia or really fresh cod are only ones I can think of) when it's battered or breaded and deep-fried; in other words, when it no longer tastes like fish or resembles healthy food. And of course, I don't feel so hot after eating it that way. The smell of salmon makes me ill. Tuna...oh how I wish I liked tuna because carrying that would make life easier at times. I even despise sushi, including the vegetarian kind because the wrap tastes like fish. Seaweed salad...ewww. I'm extremely sensitive to the smell or taste of sea-anything.

Have you thought, "dang, this girl's crazy!" yet? Because I get that look when I tell people any part of this. :D

I do, however, like being in the ocean, just not eating from it.

I love fresh fish in Mexico on the grill but less when cooking it at home. We are committed to eating either salmon or mahi mahi once a week and I find if I line the pan with aluminum foil and then throw it away and take it out of the house that I like it more (i.e. when the smell doesn't linger). I made salmon cakes with salmon cans from Trader Joes which still had the bones and skin (apparently you can leave in the bones but didn't realize it). I gave the skin to my dog but it kind of grossed me out. I love eating the salmon and Mahi Mahi each week though (we broil and top with seriously a bulb of garlic). I have a special can opener for tuna (I give my dog the juice) and it is in a plastic bag. I love tuna but not the smell preparing. So in other words, I am pretty weird about fish too. I use Dr. Bronners peppermint soap to wash my hands after preparing (and dispose of all cans etc to the outdoor garbage or recycling bin) before I sit down to eat even!

Thanks everyone for being so supportive. I am so sorry to be such a drag. But I was so mad this morning at the thought of doing this and not achieving what I want. I have been as compliant as I can be with the exception of some questionable spices and vanilla as previously mentioned. So I don't know what to think. I understand the whole water retention thing but that does really explain inches gained unless its major water retention like my patients see. There are only a few areas I can see needing improvement. I eat nut butter at least once a day, I don't eat enough leafy greens (I hate salad dressing). And maybe my meat portions are too big.? They said not to weigh and measure so I ate according to appetite :/ I thought that was kind of the point. Also I'm confused after reading practical paleo. She says if fat loss is the goal that you should not add extra fat to your meals .?

I have been doing P90X so is it possible that I gained that much muscle and just can't see it yet?

Btw . . . I did some research and all McCormick single spices are gluten free :)

And I need breakfast ideas that heavy in the veg and not so much eggs and bacon.

I know Whole9 says that there's "more going on" if their plan doesn't help you with the weight loss, but I mean, there's a lot of experts out there. Mark Sisson and Diane Sanfilippo talk about the sweet spot for carb intake to achieve fat/weight loss, and Whole9 advises against paying attention to macronutrient ratios. It's hard to know who is right, but the only way to figure out is to try.

Breakfast got kind of hard for me here at the end to include veggies! Today, though, I had some leftover sauteed red onion and mushrooms, and some sauteed grape tomatoes from dinner last night that were delicious with a couple of scrambled eggs. I used to saute some shallot and then throw in some spinach and let it get nice and wilty, then add some vinegar. For some reason I am not crazy about omelets but everything separate on my plate is good, but you could certainly try sauteing up several vegetables and store them in the fridge. Then in the morning, warm them up, take them out of the pan, make an omelette and put your veggies inside?

Also, don't be afraid to try dinner for breakfast. I made these meatballs and they were SO GOOD for breakfast (or really any meal omg so good). I had them with this tomato salad though you'd probably want one more veg to round out the plate. I like sauerkraut, I buy Bubbies brand (which is at Whole Foods, Wegman's, etc) though I'm hoping to start a batch of my own tomorrow. If you like carbs in the morning, leftover roasted butternut squash (in cubes so it gets nice and brown and caramelized on the outside) is really tasty alongside sausage.

Nom Nom Paleo posted some chili-lime chicken wings. We're going to a friend's house and it's just a small gathering (just our two families). She's making a paleo king cake (apparently it exists!). That's about all we've figured out at this point. I probably will do the green salad I made last time and I might request the shrimp kebabs she made too. ;)

About fish: I was never big on fish. I had sushi when I was 18 and loved it though. Cooked fish? Nah. But I married a Spaniard who lived on fish so I have learned to love it!

Game food? Hot wings. Now Nom Nom's chili-lime wings are calling my name too! But plain ole Hot Wings. Compliant Hot Sauce and ghee. Pour over wings and bake until done. Then pull, put on baking sheet, paint more marinade on and broil until bubbly. I love hot wings :) If you want crunchy you could make some roasted spiced nuts, or that cinnamon baked coconut chips. Sweet potato fries? Man hot wings and sweet potato fries, the paleo game food of champions.

I know Whole9 says that there's "more going on" if their plan doesn't help you with the weight loss, but I mean, there's a lot of experts out there. Mark Sisson and Diane Sanfilippo talk about the sweet spot for carb intake to achieve fat/weight loss, and Whole9 advises against paying attention to macronutrient ratios. It's hard to know who is right, but the only way to figure out is to try.

Breakfast got kind of hard for me here at the end to include veggies! Today, though, I had some leftover sauteed red onion and mushrooms, and some sauteed grape tomatoes from dinner last night that were delicious with a couple of scrambled eggs. I used to saute some shallot and then throw in some spinach and let it get nice and wilty, then add some vinegar. For some reason I am not crazy about omelets but everything separate on my plate is good, but you could certainly try sauteing up several vegetables and store them in the fridge. Then in the morning, warm them up, take them out of the pan, make an omelette and put your veggies inside?

Also, don't be afraid to try dinner for breakfast. I made these meatballs and they were SO GOOD for breakfast (or really any meal omg so good). I had them with this tomato salad though you'd probably want one more veg to round out the plate. I like sauerkraut, I buy Bubbies brand (which is at Whole Foods, Wegman's, etc) though I'm hoping to start a batch of my own tomorrow. If you like carbs in the morning, leftover roasted butternut squash (in cubes so it gets nice and brown and caramelized on the outside) is really tasty alongside sausage.

I gave up about 1/2 way through and went back to my old breakfast but made it Whole30 compliant (meaning I made a green smoothie wtih 2 cups of kale, 1/2 cup blueberries, avocado and coconut milk and then ate twoor three fried eggs as the protein). I don't feel like cooking in the morning and this worked for me.

I love fresh fish in Mexico on the grill but less when cooking it at home....

That's how I feel about steamed snapper. It is SO GOOD whenever I get it fresh in Jamaica, but in the USA, it's never as good.

Tonight, I made the egg foo yong from Well Fed. My husband REALLY liked it. It was okay to me (but had to double the sauce).

I have an issue...I got sick last night I believe from the dinner I ate. Funny thing is I had grass-fed ground beef ready to cook up, but I didn't like how it looked (the bottom was gray, and I have been having that issue with grass-fed or organic meat lately). Anyway, I made my last Pre-Made Paleo meal protein which was Cajun turkey breast, had a side of broccoli and cauliflower and at 4am it all came up (sorry for that! :unsure:) Of course, when I'm sick all I want is pasta, toast or something carby. It's 10:30am and I have not eaten. Any recommendations or should I try not to eat and stick with tea and water? I thought of applesauce and avocado, and I also have a bottle of kombucha if that would help the gut... thanks.

Archived