Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Thanks for all the kitchen suggestions. I think I may just get a simple chopper, either a hand chopper or a one-button deal, and see how it goes. I saw a Braun stick bender (which I would really like for pureed soups and gravies) on CraigsList for 15 bucks. That's pretty good. In fact, there are a TON of great finds on CraigsList... a brand new KitchenAid for $50 (we wanted to buy that even though we already have one, just 'cuz!)... folks must get things as gifts and, either they're duplicates, or just unwanted, so they sell them on CL cheap, brand new in the box.

It sounds like several of us are planning cook-ins this weekend. I'm with you. I just learned a Penzey's just opened up close by and I'm thinking of a little splurge. I'll be excited to hear what you all conjure up with your kitchen magic.

I too made it though a night in the hospital with the typical vast array of crap spread out on tables far and wide. It was all rather unappealing to me (I LOVE not having cravings anymore). Brought leftover pulled pork, roasted kobacha, and stirfried kale. Found a banana and that's as sweet as it got for me ;-)

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone explain Penzey's to me? Can you buy just the amount of spices you need or are they already in certain sized containers?

I'd never heard of it until this thread, but turns out there IS one about 20-25 minutes from me... which is 1/2 the distance of where I currently go for my spices. Central Market (an HEB store that exists only in Texas, I think) has a bulk section with tons of spices. You can get as small an amount as you need or a big tub. When I lived 3 minutes from it, I'd stop in on my way home from work to get 1 bay leaf, for example, for my pot of soup. The spices are WAY cheaper. I went yesterday and got like 10 different spices for less than $6. Only thing is, it's now a good 45 minutes from where I live, so if Penzey's is the same, I'd much rather go there.

Can someone explain Penzey's to me? Can you buy just the amount of spices you need or are they already in certain sized containers?

I'd never heard of it until this thread, but turns out there IS one about 20-25 minutes from me... which is 1/2 the distance of where I currently go for my spices. Central Market (an HEB store that exists only in Texas, I think) has a bulk section with tons of spices. You can get as small an amount as you need or a big tub. When I lived 3 minutes from it, I'd stop in on my way home from work to get 1 bay leaf, for example, for my pot of soup. The spices are WAY cheaper. I went yesterday and got like 10 different spices for less than $6. Only thing is, it's now a good 45 minutes from where I live, so if Penzey's is the same, I'd much rather go there.

Our local coop has bulk spices. As does Earth Fare (like Whole Foods). Do you have any of these types of stores near you?

Our local coop has bulk spices. As does Earth Fare (like Whole Foods). Do you have any of these types of stores near you?

No Earth Fare here. I did find a co-op.. but it's only open on Wednesdays and is 30 min from where I live. I've never been to a co-op before, though, so I will keep an eye/ear out for if one opens nearer to my house.

No Earth Fare here. I did find a co-op.. but it's only open on Wednesdays and is 30 min from where I live. I've never been to a co-op before, though, so I will keep an eye/ear out for if one opens nearer to my house.

I love our Food Coop as so many local farmers bring stuff, etc. You maybe could call them as ours is a non-profit so they might be able to give you ideas where to find bulk spices near your house. I seriously love bulk stuff. I just bought about a tbsp of nutmeg for a recipe because I know I won't use it much.

My oldest daughter is in K and comes home starving since they eat lunch at 10:20 a.m. I just fed her some organic strawberries, organic milk and Bob's Red Mill organic whole grain pancakes (with extra egg added for more protein). Her sister had 3 Stonyfield Farm organic tube yogurts (she rarely eats dairy except occasionally she will go on a yogurt binge) and an apple. Before the Whole30 I would have been happy with these choices in terms of being healthy. Sigh.

I am wondering about almond or coconut flour pancakes instead for a start? I used coconut milk instead of milk in the batter. Also, I found the Sunbutter so sending that tomorrow with her oatmeal bread (likes and is gluten free at least). Again, Sigh.

I too made it though a night in the hospital with the typical vast array of crap spread out on tables far and wide. It was all rather unappealing to me (I LOVE not having cravings anymore). Brought leftover pulled pork, roasted kobacha, and stirfried kale. Found a banana and that's as sweet as it got for me ;-)

Isn't it great to not even have to debate over whether or not you wanna it that crap. What's really getting irritating to me is all of the older nurses that are just appalled by the fact that I eat fat :o . After all, don't I know that it will cause me a heart attack or stroke! Ha! Whatever. Makes me wanna get out of medicine and be a health coach. I am no where near the end of my journey but I have so much I wanna teach people.

Isn't it great to not even have to debate over whether or not you wanna it that crap. What's really getting irritating to me is all of the older nurses that are just appalled by the fact that I eat fat :o . After all, don't I know that it will cause me a heart attack or stroke! Ha! Whatever. Makes me wanna get out of medicine and be a health coach. I am no where near the end of my journey but I have so much I wanna teach people.

You should do it! I bet you would be a great nutritionist :) Probably not make as much money though.

You should do it! I bet you would be a great nutritionist :) Probably not make as much money though.

Also, I have a friend in my dance collective who was a hospital nurse for a long time (worked in a cancer center). She is a 'holistic' nurse now and works with private clients who have cancer on their nutrition. She is a vegan though and really, really into fresh green juices. She has like a store grade very expensive juicer. She makes wonderful green drinks to sell at our dances.

Today is Day 28 for me. I thought it was a good time to evaluate how much I've spent over the past 28 days on food etc to do this Whole30, so just did an analysis:

food - $1061.55

supplements - $21.31

books - $22.92

tools - $140.19 (includes things like pans, food prep materials)

TOTAL: $1245.97

And that doesn't even capture times I've paid cash (or used a different card), nor does it capture the $50 Amazon gift card I used to buy several related items.

So... CLEARLY if we're going to continue to eat unprocessed food, we need to do it in a more budget-friendly manner.

Nat - I know I've gone over my usual budget, too, although I've been avoiding adding up my receipts just in case it's a big scary number. But maybe I'll get around to that this weekend. I know there's got to be a way to eat good food and not go broke, just need to figure it out.

Today is my Day 24, and everything is going okay. My headache is just about gone, and Natural Calm is on my list to buy for the weekend. Along with super enzymes, because I visited part of the Troubleshooting forum to see about some things and it sounds like those might help with some digestive issues I'm still having. I have to say, even though the mods all say "this is why it's a Whole30 and not a Whole24" or whatever, I'm a little disappointed that I'm not feeling better by this stage. I sincerely hope the next week shows some improvement.

So... CLEARLY if we're going to continue to eat unprocessed food, we need to do it in a more budget-friendly manner.

Nat - I know I've gone over my usual budget, too, although I've been avoiding adding up my receipts just in case it's a big scary number. But maybe I'll get around to that this weekend. I know there's got to be a way to eat good food and not go broke, just need to figure it out.

I am thinking of the initial expense as start-up cost. It's been such a fast, radical change and, like all radical changes, it'll morph into my new norm and the cost will come down. I think in the the long run it will be cheaper. That said, I refuse to add up my receipts, lalalalala, don't want to know.

I got a, "you're looking skinnier," last night at work :D. I just said thanks and I've been working on it. I am lucky that I can hide out with my food, out of range of prying eyes and assumptions and and requests for explanations. But, even it that weren't the case, my glass containers hold the most colorful fare; I'm eating more veggies than I ever have, in both variety and amount. The animal protein seems more of an adjunct to that, rather than the other way around.

Another thing, almost everyone I work with has weird food things. They're vegan or raw or allergic to this or to that. I'm just "one of those weird food people," now, and that's ok. It makes me feel less subconscious than foraging for sugar and carbs the way I used to, in true addict fashion with all the commensurate battles in my head. This is a lot easier. Gotta keep it up. I am one bite away from my old ways, I know that.

food - $1061.55

supplements - $21.31

books - $22.92

TOTAL: $1245.97 So... CLEARLY if we're going to continue to eat unprocessed food, we need to do it in a more budget-friendly manner.

Nat, you'll drop off the "tools" and "books" - you've got those so that's $150 / month towards food. Also, healthcare costs will be much lower with fewer doc visits, no need for HTN or DM meds, etc. :) It's a tradeoff. Spend it here, spend it there...

I hope you're noticing all the positive benefits. For me, I have less acne, more energy, I sleep well, I've been getting compliments such as "wow you look great!" AND (my fave!) my belly bloat is down so my clothes fit better. Whatever we focus on is what grows. I choose to focus on the positive and watch that grow! :)

Way to go! We're almost there.

I just added mine up for the last 30 days and including dog food and some cleaning supplies I spent $1386. I normally spend around $800 a month on groceries but we also eat out every week for around $200 extra a month. So I spent almost $400 more and not sustainable for us. Our frig and pantries are stocked FULL though right now so I shouldn't have to buy anything next week at all except maybe some fresh kale or spinach. It does freak me out a bit though.

I don't think we're spending much differently. I was already buying ghee, grassfed beef, and so on plus eating out. In fact, several months ago I had to cut it back quite a bit and did so by buying in bulk and some other conscious shopping and prep. I was also eating all sorts of expensive gluten free goodies. So I think I'm going to end up with a tradeoff at worst or maybe even a reduction.

Nat, you'll drop off the "tools" and "books" - you've got those so that's $150 / month towards food. Also, healthcare costs will be much lower with fewer doc visits, no need for HTN or DM meds, etc. :) It's a tradeoff. Spend it here, spend it there...

HTN and DM?

I just added mine up for the last 30 days and including dog food and some cleaning supplies I spent $1386. I normally spend around $800 a month on groceries but we also eat out every week for around $200 extra a month. So I spent almost $400 more and not sustainable for us. Our frig and pantries are stocked FULL though right now so I shouldn't have to buy anything next week at all except maybe some fresh kale or spinach. It does freak me out a bit though.

The dining out is a good point. In the next few days, I'll check mint.com to see what we've been trending for eating outside of the home. That may make up a couple of hundred.

I've spent a terrifying amount. I made a promise I wouldn't total up our grocery spending until the end of the month, but I'm sure I've spent about $900 for two of us. And that's with cutting corners (non-grass-finished beef, farm-raised shrimp, etc., and the cheapest cuts of pasture-finished meat I can find, like lamb neck) AND a stockpile of pastured pork and compliant pantry items.

I already have tons of pots and pans and food prep tools, so at least I didn't have to buy more. But yes, to do this long-term--which is what I want--I need to figure out a more financially sustainable path forward. I suspect that a chest freezer will factor in big time.

I don't think we're spending much differently. I was already buying ghee, grassfed beef, and so on plus eating out. In fact, several months ago I had to cut it back quite a bit and did so by buying in bulk and some other conscious shopping and prep. I was also eating all sorts of expensive gluten free goodies. So I think I'm going to end up with a tradeoff at worst or maybe even a reduction.

I thought the same thing. I already shopped pretty much exclusively at our Food Coop, Trader Joes and Earth Fare (a smaller Whole Foods). But honestly I go days without eating meat, and cheese/yogurt (even natural from these places) are a lot cheaper than meat. I am trying to figure out why we spent so much more honestly. I know one thing is that I bought some food that first day I couldn't eat (for some reason I thought greek yogurt was okay which is why I have to at least do a Whole 32, lol). I spent about $25 on yogurts for the month as I usually eat one a day. Also, I eat a lot of black beans and basmati rice with salsa meals and those are very inexpensive.

I can cut back on some things though. I am not going to buy ghee as it is easy to make clarified butter for example (a small savings but still one). I also can buy veggies cheap in about 2 months. I am going to go to the berry patches this summer and pick a lot of blackberries and freeze them. I am going to make my own turkey burgers and freeze them when ground turkey is on sale, etc. Plus, we have a LOT in the freezer/fridge right now to sustain us.

I am still contemplating where I want to go with this. Sadly, most of what I will add back will be for economical reasons :( Why did I go into education as my profession? lol

I just can't wait until I am in a house (the new one has a big pantry) so that I can have appliances and be able to buy in bulk. Our new fridge will have a bigger freezer so that I can put more up. I have to start a Pinterest page for all the kitchen tools/appliances I want to get once we move.

I already had the basics, in fact, I am trying to hold off buying more until we move. I am almost out of coconut oil, coconut flour, olive oil and such. I am completely out of coconut flakes/chips and have been since before I started this Whole30. I didn't want to be tempted to eat it as a snack.

Day 24...six more days (well seven for me), but seriously, I am so proud of all of us for sticking it out and doing what needs to be done.

It's day 25, we're almost there!! Great job everyone for hanging in there! I know I plan on eating this way the majority of the time. I've loved trying all these new recipes and not feeling sick/bloated after eating all the time. Definitely good benefits with this plan!

Penzey's has high quality spices. I specifically like some of their blends (Sunny Paris, Fines Herbes, Fox Point) though I belong to a Frontier Herbs coop that I plan on buying my singles. You can look up recipes online for spice blends, and I can find the bookmark I have for some of them somewhere around here for some if you'd like. They will be more expensive.

I am wondering about almond or coconut flour pancakes instead for a start? I used coconut milk instead of milk in the batter. Also, I found the Sunbutter so sending that tomorrow with her oatmeal bread (likes and is gluten free at least). Again, Sigh.

My daughter is in K too. Paleo Parents posted a pancake recipe this last weekend (Friday?) that was a hit in our home. I plan on using it as sandwich bread AND breakfast food. Also look at Elana's Pantry. I made her Breakfast Bread and my son loves it.

Today is Day 28 for me. I thought it was a good time to evaluate how much I've spent over the past 28 days on food etc to do this Whole30, so just did an analysis:

food - $1061.55

supplements - $21.31

books - $22.92

TOTAL: $1245.97

And that doesn't even capture times I've paid cash (or used a differnet card), nor does it capture the $50 Amazon gift card I used to buy several related items.

Where are you located? Try to find coops. Here in the DC area we have a yahoo group called NOVA-FamNatLiv (Northern Virginia Families for Natural Living). Families for Natural Living is actually a country-wide program (maybe worldwide, not sure) so you might be able to hook up with like minded people in your area to purchase bulk items. For example, I am in a coconut products coop where we order from Tropical Traditions and Wilderness Family Naturals. When you order by the case there is not only a discount but usually free shipping and sometimes they do extra deals for their wholesale customers. Polyface Farm is here and I have gone in with a few people to purchase half pig or a half cow. Some farmers even do quarter. If you can find a Frontier Herb coop then you can get discounted food there, too. Stay away from Whole Foods if you can because their prices are always super inflated. People around here call it Whole Paycheck. Costco has a lot of good food options these days I understand. Once my tax return comes in I'll be signing up - canned wild salmon, nuts, some dried fruit, fresh fruits/veggies, I think I've even seen organic chicken there. Nuts.com is pretty good if you can buy in bulk. I'm thankful for the investment in my Vitamix because I can buy a bag of almonds or sunflower seeds and then make my own almond/sunflower butter. Paleo Parents has a post on their website about paleo on a budget, they also have an "affordable meals" section under recipes. I know they've gone to several stores in the area and checked out who had the best prices between Trader Joes, Costco, Wegman's, and Amazon's S&S. I barter with a farmer to maintain his membership base for food every week (that's where the majority of my meat comes from). Also, check out Groupon. There's a local butcher that does them from time to time and they carry venison and some grassfed meat (though it's often too gamey for me). Check out Azure Standard or http://www.unitedbuyingclubs.com/ to see if there is a group for that in your area. We also have Quail Cove Farms here in DC and Neshaminy Valley Coop (www.nvorganic.com I believe).

We had friends over yesterday that hadn't seen me in almost two weeks. She said I was visibly thinner! YES! :D She also noted how much calmer I was just sitting and talking with her than I normally am. I am normally more scattered trying to clean up from dinner and handle the kids and stuff. We took the kids to bed around 8:30 and I noticed I was rather sleepy. When I could remove myself from the boy without waking him I went downstairs, got my water and meds and came upstairs. I think I was asleep by 9:15! I feel really good this morning, even without having coffee (I finished the last of it yesterday so it's not even there and a temptation, I am drinking some green tea instead).

I have to go to the store today to find gloves for my son (it snowed yesterday and will snow again today) and while there I need to get a couple of extra limes to make that Sunshine Sauce! I'm also going to make the mayo. One of my favorite "meals" with my MIL are tapas and we always dipped cooked green beans and asparagus in mayo. I also want to try a that creamy salad dressing and make a tartar sauce to have with the ISWF salmon cakes (which are really good, btw, if you haven't tried them yet).

I have to say I have felt more confident and stronger in general in the last week. I moved a bed frame from one bedroom to another that required a bit of disassembly/reassembly to get through the doors. I had to move mattresses around (our bedroom is basically a wall of beds ;)). My friend also noted how nice my house looks, that I must feel pretty good inside because it is reflecting in my environment. I love that she notices this stuff. ;)

Archived