Coconut oil and coconut butter...

I love it on a spoon..sends me to the moon<<<my weak attempt at a Dr. Seuss type rhyme. :wub:

...... Then little Sally Sue, her mouth did swoon.... It was great in march, it was better in June....

The With a tear in her eye, she waved bye bye... For the coconut butter would make her swell like a balloon.... :);)

Hahahah! Ok, so I'll just eat some on it's own then :)

The pack I found (Dunn's River and there's nothing but coconut in it) is cheap in Tesco. 99p for 200g whereas it's £6-something for 250ml (ish) of the oil. I know grams and ml aren't comparable measures but it looks to me like six packs of the butter would be more than what I get in my little pot of oil. Might be wrong though!

Just to confuse you even more I bought Nutiva's 'Coconut Manna' which seems to be coconut butter, Higher Nature's 'Coconut Butter' is just cocout oil with the smell and taste removed and is still used for frying. Most supermarkets stock Patak's Creamed Coconut in either blocks or sachets which is usually cheaper and contains nothing but coconut but is more like the butter. Ain't life confusing :)

Watch out for solid coconut stuff (often comes in a wrapped fridge block) that's uber-cheap, it may be nasty nasty Copha :blink: It smells weird and is loaded with trans fats.

Some brands are annoying with the wording. Artisana Coconut Butter is thick like a nut paste (but white), it'll go hard when it's cold and sloppy when it's warm. We get a coconut oil in Australia from a brand called Loving Earth and while it's very nice, they annoying label it coconut butter, but it's just virgin coconut oil in a jar dark enough you can't see inside. The fat and carb counts will give away coconut oil vs coconut butter. The oil will be 0 carb and almost all (or all) fat.

Thanks all - I wonder if this isn't more like creamed coconut you know... It has that consistency I associate with coconut cream, but clearly companies all use different names for the various products.

Regardless, it is "meh" at best so I shan't be buying any more I don't think!

Archived