Bacon

Sugar can be used in the curing process and still contribute negligible amounts toward the end product... the same way that sugars can be shown in the nutrition data for totally compliant items, because sugar occurs naturally in many compliant ingredients.

For Whole30 purposes, the ingredients list is what matters. So regardless of what you see in the nutritional data, rely on the ingredients to make sure an item is compliant. In this case, unfortunately, the bacon you purchased isn't compliant... BUT bacon does usually freeze well so you could always save it for once you're doing reintroductions.

Thank you!

I actually had chosen not to eat it, although it was very hard lol.  Sugar is the main ingredient I'm trying to remove from my diet, so I want to make sure I'm understanding this completely.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DonnaGail said:

Can I just boil my bought rotisserie chicken bones like I have done in the past, add a little salt and it will be Whole30 compliant?

If the rotisserie chicken was compliant then yes.

Definitely check that rotisserie chicken label first, though. One of my early slip-ups was assuming that a "naked" chicken would, in fact, be compliant -- it had rice starch in the seasoning blend intended to keep it moist while cooking. I got to where I just bought whole chickens (several at a time when I find them on a really great sale) and cooked them whole in the pressure cooker, giving me cooked meat and an organic carcass to boil down for broth. It's not quite as quick as just swinging by and grabbing a rotisserie chicken, does take a little bit of planning ahead, but it was definitely worth it for our family.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:20 AM, Jihanna said:

It's not quite as quick as just swinging by and grabbing a rotisserie chicken

@Jihanna It's pretty darn quick though, isn't it? My Instant Pot takes care of a decent sized chicken in about 40 inutes - time to make a decent salad and a great dressing and get the table set. I love doing this and the bone broth is already started with the leftover liquid in the pot. I strip the meat off the carcass and set it aside in the fridge; throw the bones back into the IP; throw in a big bunch of organic veggie scraps from my ever replenished store in the freezer; and set it for another 45 minutes. Fabulous!

@Lorna from Canada Indeed, it IS pretty quick! For mine, we throw everything (bones, scraps, and any juice from cooking that I didn't use to make a gravy) into the crockpot and cook it on low overnight... then I cool it and store it in the morning, instead of having to get it all done between dinner and sleep :D  We do a straight meat and bone broth, and I add veggies during cooking if I need it to be more than that.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, DonnaGail said:

Ah...never thought about what the stores coat the chicken in prior to baking.  I will try to do better and cook my own when I can.  Thanks! 

You'll pretty much never find store bought chicken that isn't coated, marinated or brined. It's how they make it moist and tasty. And it's seldom compliant, sadly.

Kelli, 

I purchased bacon too that  at the grocery store that states NO SUGAR UNCURED BACON by Jones. Ingredients are: Pork, Water, Vinegar & Lemon Juice concentrate, Salt, Cultured Celery Juice.  Under the label, it says:  Not a significant source of Dietary Fiber, sugars, Vit A, Vit C, Calcuim and Iron.  So I assume it is compliant but I don't know how the pig was treated.  

I also found bacon by Applegate that is total zero sugar, uncured, no antibiotics, etc. and the pig were raised humanely so that passes.  But although the ingredients state: Pork, water, sea salt and contains less than 2% of the following: cane sugar, celery powder.  Now...that makes me question.  Applegate does sell in the grocery stores beef hot dogs that actually have the Whole30 label on them, so I kind of assumed the bacon was compliant. 

Any thoughts on that? 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, DonnaGail said:

Kelli, 

I purchased bacon too that  at the grocery store that states NO SUGAR UNCURED BACON by Jones. Ingredients are: Pork, Water, Vinegar & Lemon Juice concentrate, Salt, Cultured Celery Juice.  Under the label, it says:  Not a significant source of Dietary Fiber, sugars, Vit A, Vit C, Calcuim and Iron.  So I assume it is compliant but I don't know how the pig was treated.  

I also found bacon by Applegate that is total zero sugar, uncured, no antibiotics, etc. and the pig were raised humanely so that passes.  But although the ingredients state: Pork, water, sea salt and contains less than 2% of the following: cane sugar, celery powder.  Now...that makes me question.  Applegate does sell in the grocery stores beef hot dogs that actually have the Whole30 label on them, so I kind of assumed the bacon was compliant. 

Any thoughts on that? 

It doesn't matter how the pig was treated (for the purpose of compliance on the program) so the first one would be compliant.  The second one, anytime a product says 'less than 2% of a non compliant ingredient, that makes it no go.  This is a sneaky way for manufacturers to get around listing all the ingredients on the main ingredient panel but because it's still included in the product that makes it no go.  Definitely don't assume that because a brand has some compliant products that ALL their products are compliant because that's definitely not the case so unless it has the Whole30 label on it, you'll have to read the ingredients.

Archived