Planning to start September 1. Are you?

KimberlyA1105

Also on Day 4 today... and I'm TIRED.  Feel like I would give anything for a nice creamy latte with a chocolate croissant!  Which is not even something I'd normally get, but wow, the things that surface when you're forced to pay attention... (honestly @kirbz reading your post mentioning cookies immediately got me thinking YES THAT SOUNDS GOOD PLEASE NOW haha).

Making myself a cup of tea instead and trying to just ride it out, reminding myself that I can get to bed early tonight and hopefully get some good rest.  Some days you just have to push through, I guess...!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I struggle with salad dressing too @nrmoody415. So far my most palatable concoction is EVOL, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and [lots of] garlic. My salads almost always have a little fruit in them and that bit of sweetness helps me. What I'd like to do is work some ACV into the dressing, but I just can't make that work yet. I'm with @kirbz. Like the book says, come up with something that doesn't try to replicate anything else. I like fruit vinaigrettes. The other day I tried to make something out of EVOL, ACV, and strawberries. That was truly vile. Don't do that. ;):( 

Well here I am up at midnight not able to fall back to sleep. I have been a little foggie. @nrmoody415 I am there with you on the food for me today and even my emergency food didn’t inspire me. If you can only do small meals then do more that 3 a day. When I start sometime I do 4-5 mini ones until I can ease my way up to bigger meals and spread them out more. Sometimes my sugar craving show up as disinterest in my meals and then I can’t eat them. I have never been one to be able to eat something that I don’t like. 

Everyone looks like they are doing great. Keep up the great work 

Today I had

compliant Apple chicken sausage with green beans, asparagus and roasted veggies 

Lunxh was Chinese broccoli with compliant teriyaki sauce, bok Choy and shrimp

Snack was some chicken and spinacj

Dinner was teriyaki beef over cole slaw. 

Thank you to all W30 peeps out there with the encouraging words and tips! I don't know if my personality has started showing through my written communication yet. If so, you have probably already figured out I am a little nutty and medium OCD.

@kirbz the salad dressing was Primal Kitchen Thousand Island. 1000 Island is my normal dressing of choice. Ranch is not a fave of anyone in my house and a lot of honey mustards have too much dijon in it which makes me nauseous. I can do italian and oil/vinegar. I'm not meaning to trash Primal Kitchen. My husband loved the dressing. It just tasted sour to me. I also bought the Honey Mustard flavor of Primal Kitchen for my hubs, then got home and saw it had honey in it (why didn't I think of that. I mean it is clearly in the name of the dressing!). So I probably should be banned from W30 for life! I'm sure I will find something. I can do vinaigrettes without lemon or lime. 

@Elizabeth33 Thursday (day 3 for me) was much better for food. Which I gladly embraced since Wednesday was such a bust! My hubs told me last night that he has really enjoyed everything he has eaten and that it hasn't tasted like "diet food". I am thinking to myself "glad to hear it since I'm the one that has been cooking it." HAHA! But thank you for setting my mind at ease about not eating a lot in one setting and that it is ok to eat more, smaller meals instead of 3 big ones and then be miserable with an overstuffed tummy! That advice will help me plan better this coming week.

So Friday, my Day 4, has started! Here's to good thoughts and wishes for happy outcomes by bedtime! Love to all W30'ers!

And, since I'm not a social media hound and don't use it very often, if the W30 forum is not the correct platform for me to have a conversation about my W30 journey and vent my frustrations as well as my warm fuzzy moments, please let me know. I am not only new to W30, I am new to forums.

@nrmoody415 I think you're using the forum exactly how it was intended! Please do continue sharing your challenges and warm fuzzies! And any questions (I think the moderators are pretty fabulous)! 

As for dressings, have you checked out The New Primal? They have some new ones that look really delicious. I just ordered their Citrus Zest dressing and am excited to try it! I also recently bought Primal Kitchen Lemon Turmeric Vinaigrette and it was absolutely amazing! So yeah, maybe try something that isn't a recreation of your favorite. :-) 

Hi all. I have another NSV. I'm not even gonna look for W30 mints so I'm brushing my teeth a lot. I don't know if this is even on the NSV list in the program, but it's a real thing. lol.

In other not-news, I'm still in the low energy portion of reset. <sigh> Ridin' it out. Glad you guys are in it with me because there's no one in my three dimensional life to commiserate with.

Whole Foods carries a line of compliant salad dressings called Dress It Up.  You can buy them online, too.  A little pricy at $7.99 a bottle.  I buy a bunch when they go on sale for $5.99 at Whole Foods.   Bonus:  they are a woman owned company. :) 

7 hours ago, Prairie Dawn said:

@Danna W I feel you on the low energy part of this process.  Yesterday wiped me out and my mood totally took a dive.  I ended up just kind of mindlessly eating/snacking on compliant things all evening, and it didn't really feel good, physically or mentally.  Here's hoping the next few days are better!  

Follow the meal template! Aim for three meals and no snacks. You'll maximize your benefits, including regulating your hormones and becoming fat burning. Really, following the meal template is the key to getting the most our of your Whole 30.

Day six for me is done!

I'm just chugging along.... I did have a dream about eating my son's animal crackers last night so I guess my unconscious is having cravings! 

Headaches are gone with the help of lots and lots of water. I'm really enjoying the food this round, maybe because it is not my first time and I have an idea of what works for me. I usually just assemble breakfast and lunch (i.e hard boiled eggs,can of fish,veggies,homemade mayo,leftovers) and only really make a mess in my kitchen for dinner. I have my meals planned out and nothing is getting wasted so I feel good about that. Last night I tried the lamb apricot meatloaves from the "Whole 30 Fast & Easy" cookbook but with beef. Tonight was Prosciutto wrapped Mahi Mahi with green beans. I am roasting a couple of pork tenderloins and veggies for tomorrow night's meal.

I've got to start making my list for Sunday shopping again....I'm running low on Veggies!

I'm open to any links to recipes that y'all may have that are quick and easy (or can be thrown in my slow cooker or instant pot). I have just discovered https://meljoulwan.com/ and I am finding some great inspiration here :) I also <3 https://nomnompaleo.com/ it is an amazing resource. 

We totally got this!

Found an item at costco today that i think is ok,  Crepini Egg Thins - ingredient list:  cage free egg white, whole eggs, cauliflower powder, olive oil, sea salt, xanthan gum, spices, citric acid.   (not sure about the xanthan gum...)

I know W30 prohibits making things like pancakes from compliant ingredients,  but i’m hoping these will be ok.  Thought they’d be a good option to wrap around a chix sausage for breakfast.   Any experienced W30ers who can let me know?  TIA

Photo of the pkg is attached.  

EA707CDA-56F2-4E79-BDEA-E8B0EE252A69.jpeg

I'd say probably not on the egg thins from the package. The addition of the cauliflower powder and xanthan gum makes it look like these are trying to recreate crepes, which wouldn't be allowed... and the fact that they're commercially available would add to my own hesitation, as it specifies things like no commercially prepared fries, chips, etc. (though we can certainly fry or bake up sliced veggies at home).

That said, it's actually super-easy to get an egg cooked up capable of wrapping around sausage or whatever. You need a skillet/frying pan with an interior base as large as you want your egg to be. Use oil if the pan isn't non-stick and heat the pan to medium-low. Scramble an egg (or two if you're going for larger or thicker) and pour over the pan, tipping the pan as needed to spread it out across the whole base. Cook without a cover for thin egg, or with a cover to fluff it up a bit. Cook several minutes on one side, then flip to cook other (it'll probably burn if you try to cook all the way through on just one side). Top or wrap as desired :)

Thanks for the response Jihanna.   I kinda had a feeling these would be off limits, but I’m glad that i bought them because they seem like a great idea.   The good news is they can be frozen for up to 12 months, so in the freezer they go for now.  

I’m going to try making the thin scrambled egg “wrap” that you describe.  Thanks so much for that idea!

Hi all. Day 8's been good. My energy is better so maybe I'm through the worst of it. I spent quite a bit of time today in the W30 cookbook and picked out some things this non-cook can cook. Got menus together for the work week coming up. And the Cowboys are winning. lol. I'm in a good place to launch my week. We're almost 1/3 of the way through our 30 - - we got this. I think I'm channeling my inner cheerleader or something. :)

Hi all,

Day 9 today.  I had a great weekend--made the Chicken Chowder and Cold Thai Salad as planned.  Both are fabulous dishes.  Note on the Chicken Chowder: while the recipe states 45 minutes prep, it took me 2 hours.  Need to speed up my chopping skills :)  The Cold Thai Salad (which I have leftovers with me for my lunch today) could use a little more spiciness (there is a poblano chili in there so not sure why it is not hotter). And while I thought I was past the tired stage, I slept almost 10 hours last night which is the most sleep I have gotten in more than 10 years!  Have a great day!

Hi everyone.  Technically it's Day 8 for me, but I had some pretty crushing personal stuff happen over the weekend, and I'm not sure I'm in a place to continue the whole30.  Strangely enough, I stayed technically compliant in the midst of crisis, but it wasn't in a healthy way.  I'm trying to decide if it's better for me to stick it out and continue what I've started, or if that will put more pressure on me emotionally than I can handle right now.  I know I'm an adult and can make my own decisions, but I'm genuinely not sure what route would be better for me right now.

At this point I am feeling like I may as well continue, only because everything in my house is Whole30 compliant already and I REALLY don't feel like getting out and going grocery shopping.  And it's not like I'm craving anything off-plan either: more like my stress levels have skyrocketed and I've lost my appetite completely.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome... I really appreciate everyone's support and participation on the forums!

So here I am getting ready to finish up Day 7. I am still feeling depressed and distraught because I don't think I am doing everything I am supposed to be doing. I have bought a lot of W30 approved items. And also items I thought were W30 approved until I eat them and look at the label AGAIN and see something in there that I missed the first time that is not W30! UUGGH! This is getting frustrating. I did better with meal planning this week, (at least I think I did, we will see as we go along) but I am still getting the meal template all jacked up (it seems like every meal). At least for me anyway. My husband is doing better with the meal template. My OCD of needing to get everything just right, follow the rules exactly, no mess ups is truly messing with my psyche. I want to cry and start all over!

We went out to Outback this weekend. We special ordered everything with no butter, no dressing, no stuff we couldn't have. And everything still tasted so good I am freaking out because I don't think they fixed everything right. My husband won't give up his snacks during the day (albeit he has changed what he is eating at those times to nuts & fruit). I'm not accomplishing this.

@nrmoody415 I'm so sorry this is stressing you out so much. I can't give you advice, but I can make one suggestion. Is it possible that you just feel under-prepared? You might feel more sure of yourself if you re-read It Starts with Food and the Whole 30 program book. As for eating out, I'm not even going to try that until day 26. Like you, I don't have enough confidence in the server and the kitchen staff to trust that they'll do what I need - even if I promise a big tip. 

I hope you can hang in and do this. For myself, I began to feel better just a few days into my W30 and I kinda want that experience for everyone. I think it's safe to say I drank the Kool-Aid and I'm a big W30 fan after only 9 days. It doesn't help for someone to tell you to try to relax - but - try to relax. :)

Day 9 for me.... I am starting to feel great!

Got out in the back yard yesterday and wrestled with some nasty weeds with my husband which I would normally not have the energy for (I work 9p-5a over the weekends), so my NSV is getting my yard work done!

I see lots of people are frustrated trying to do "the perfect Whole30" and follow the meal template and all the rules and that can really drive a person crazy! I remember this from my first few rounds-- It is a lot with all the rules and it is SO DIFFERENT from the way anyone else we know eats. You have to step back and let good enough be good enough (I've read a ton of the books and Melissa talks about it constantly, and she is the authority on the subject). As long as it is on the Whole30 ingredient list, it's OKAY. You may have compliant hot dogs and a sweet potato for dinner. Is it the perfect meal template? no. Is it Instagram worthy? no. Is it Whole30? YES. Did you eat real food? YES. Are you going to push through and continue the program? YES PLEASE DO!

Take it from someone who has terrible food addiction--and has 50 lbs to lose--and half a thyroid-- and somehow screws up re-introduction every time--and is DYING to jump on the scale today juuust to make sure it is working--Give yourself some grace. Life isn't perfect. Finding what works for you takes time. It did for me at least....heck I'm still figuring it out. Anyone who did one Whole30 and magically became a perfect person in 30 days and no longer had any health issues and didn't at least consider stopping when they drove past a Rita's isn't anyone I want to be friends with. 

....Steps off soapbox....

I did cook two dinners today so I'm off the hook until Wednesday :) 

15 hours ago, Prairie Dawn said:

Hi everyone.  Technically it's Day 8 for me, but I had some pretty crushing personal stuff happen over the weekend, and I'm not sure I'm in a place to continue the whole30.  Strangely enough, I stayed technically compliant in the midst of crisis, but it wasn't in a healthy way.  I'm trying to decide if it's better for me to stick it out and continue what I've started, or if that will put more pressure on me emotionally than I can handle right now.  I know I'm an adult and can make my own decisions, but I'm genuinely not sure what route would be better for me right now.

At this point I am feeling like I may as well continue, only because everything in my house is Whole30 compliant already and I REALLY don't feel like getting out and going grocery shopping.  And it's not like I'm craving anything off-plan either: more like my stress levels have skyrocketed and I've lost my appetite completely.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome... I really appreciate everyone's support and participation on the forums!

Hi Praire Dawn,

I’m so sorry to hear you are going through a tough time in your personal life. I’ll be honest with you, I have quit a Whole30 in the past because I was so stressed out about something going on in my life. Looking back, I wish I would have stayed on program - it was the one thing I could control at the time and I would have learned better coping mechanisms than comfort food and alcohol (which after all, is one of the biggest points of Whole30). 

Staying on program may allow you to handle your personal situation better because of all the NSVs people experience on Whole30 (in this instance, I’m thinking better sleep would be especially helpful, I know I have a hard time sleeping when I’m going through a tough time and keeping my diet clean helps mitigate that). 

However, if sticking to the program is just too overwhelming right now or if it becomes unrealistic based on your situation, you can always try again at a more calm point in life. Things happen! For now, don’t worry too much if your meals aren’t exactly “perfect” - just make sure they’re compliant. Your appetite will come back, don’t worry.

Hope this helps and best of luck! 

Good Morning all you gorgeous September Whole30ers!  Is there a perfect Whole30? ever?  Mine sure isn't and this being my 2nd rodeo, I can tell you that my first time through, despite not being perfect, worked for me.  I felt better, slept better, looked better, weighed better, better, better, better. I think the idea is to interrupt our path.  Also, change typically takes a while to take hold.  I think I recall reading once that making a change in habit takes 3 weeks to start sticking, so we can all just keep trying our best everyday.  I made a pot roast in my crock pot and had it for dinner yesterday as well as for lunch today and tomorrow, and am planning on grilled salmon and spaghetti squash for dinner tonight.  Will need to devote tomorrow evening to making a couple more dishes for the week ahead. 

@Prairie Dawn So sorry to hear of your personal crisis but am glad you are sharing. I can totally relate to what you are going through.  My first time through, last year, I picked a time I felt would be the least dramatic and crossed my fingers that nothing would come up during that time.  Well, a couple things did happen, like right away into my 30 days and I considered quitting a couple times as a result.  There is nothing like real life pressure to make me, personally, want to run to comfort foods, which usually means sugar for me.  And while Whole30 is great, it is not the easiest program--there is a lot of work and vigilance to it.  I do remember a couple of long Sunday afternoons spent thinking through my problems as I chopped away at veggies. :) It was therapeutic.  I hope you continue on with us but obviously only you can decide that for yourself.  

@Prairie Dawn I'm sorry for whatever it is you're going through! Whatever decision you make, I hope it helps alleviate some of the burden! Best wishes to you! 

@nrmoody415 I can totally relate to the frustration that comes with not doing this perfectly. I'm a perfectionist and I tried to do the most perfect Whole30 my first round. What helps me is this. I'm more interested in building lasting food habits. And those are never going to be perfect. So if I can get through the unplanned stuff that happens in life and still eat clean, then I'm doing good! So yeah, maybe focus on habits that will last rather than perfection? That definitely helped me be less hard on myself when I wasn't perfect. And not I'm not even trying! I'm just doing. If I don't break the rules, the day is a success! And if you do, that's okay! Just move on to the next meal! 

Archived