TMI POST...Constipation. Help!

LTsurf

Hi Everyone,

This is probably TMI but I need to post. I am having some issues on the Whole30 with my ahem, poop schedule. Prior to starting Whole30 I was very regular and always went every morning at around the same time. Now I'm finding that I'm only going a couple times a week, and during the evening. Additionally it's hard for me pass bowel movements and not as easy as I'm used to. I'm pretty disturbed by this because I thought the Whole30 was supposed to make this part easier (not that I needed help anyway)

I also want to add that I drink enough water and while despite because constipated, I've had increased and frequent urination since starting whole30. So much to the point where I have to wake up in the middle of the night to pee and that never used to happen to me.

What is going on with me? Please help.

Thanks!

LT

I don't really have a solution for you, except to sympathize. I am having the same issue. I used to be regular as clockwork, first thing in the morning, maybe another time later in the morning. Now I am very irregular, and bloated as a result. I know I am drinking enough because I am peeing a lot, during the night as well.

I just keep hoping it will sort itself out.

I just started taking the Natural Calm, although my reason for that is to help me fall asleep.

Robin - I have a question connected to this that I'm hoping you can answer. I've been constipated/gassy for over a week and tried Smooth Move tea last night & Tuesday night. It got things moving, but then I read another post that said Smooth Move is a bad idea because it irritates the gut, even if it is all natural. What are your thoughts? I know I'm the poster child for systemic inflammation so I don't want to do anything to exacerbate that, but was feeling so lousy I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

Thanks, everyone. I have tried Smooth Move in the past and it wreaked havoc on my stomach so I am thinking i should steer clear of it.

For daily menu here we go:

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs + 1/2 sweet potato + Glass of cold pressed fresh vegetable juice

Lunch: One Chicken Thigh + Cauliflower Mash

Dinner: Paleo Tacos - Ground beef with spices with a lettuce "tortilla" and avocado and onion garnish

I've also been drinking one cup of black coffee in the morning, tea, and kombucha.

I appreciate the help, everyone!

I have the exact same problem and am on day 18.......after healing my gut for 2 1/2 years from undiagnosed celiac disease for 14 years, bathroom habits were something I never ever ever had had problems with until I started the whole 30. I was already eating this way about 90% of the time so when I was on day 3 yesterday of still nothing moving I started going through what could possibly be causing it. I had always taken a probiotic pill until about 6 months ago then I switched to homemade Kombucha, homemade sauerkraut and a thick cultured organic grass fed dairy drink I would have about 2 TBSP of a day.......since going whole 30 I ran out of my homemade kombucha but am brewing more and couldn't drink my cultured dairy due to the whole 30 rules and realized this morning this might be my problem also. But now that you say you have been drinking kombucha and you are still having this problem....hhhmmmm.

Thanks, everyone. I have tried Smooth Move in the past and it wreaked havoc on my stomach so I am thinking i should steer clear of it.

For daily menu here we go:

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs + 1/2 sweet potato + Glass of cold pressed fresh vegetable juice

Lunch: One Chicken Thigh + Cauliflower Mash

Dinner: Paleo Tacos - Ground beef with spices with a lettuce "tortilla" and avocado and onion garnish

I've also been drinking one cup of black coffee in the morning, tea, and kombucha.

I appreciate the help, everyone!

Hi, hope you don't mind me chiming in. It's also not smooth sailing for me on the bowel movement front. It's never the same more than 2 days in a row (I'm on day 15) - I go from runny to hard to not going at all. I think it is just an indication that my body is still sorting itself out.

A moderator will hopefully give you some feedback too but I did want to say that both your veges seem to be very light on. I'd try adding more veges (especially greens) to most of your meals. Some of the meals might benefit from more good fats as well.

Good luck I hope it sorts out soon.

I don't like any of the supplements or teas because they give me the runs or gas plus I just feel weird taking medicine for pooping, but I've found bananas, sweet potatoes, raw broccoli (chop it super finely and put on salads), and fermented beets or cabbage really help to bulk things up and get things moving out. Good luck!

I do have a go to solution which works for me - my yoga teacher got me to try it, and it works.

I have it as a drink - not compliant exactly, but I have a bowel stricture, which means that if I get constipation I'm at risk of a blockage, so if I am getting that way I take it in liquid form, but if you want to stay strictly compliant then don't blend it.

Ingredients:

5 organic preservative-free prunes (I used Crazy Jacks) and here's the important part - SOAKED IN BOILED WATER. I soaked them for 2 hours in a covered bowl, then heated them gently and simmered them for about an hour, until the prunes become rehydrated and soft.

1/2 can of coconut milk

pinch of cinnamon

1 tsp raw cacao powder (ensure no added sugar/sweeteners, must be 100% cacao)

I blend it for the reasons outlined above, but if you don't want to do that (and I'm definitely not encouraging non compliant eating, just that in my case I can't cope with solids if I get, ahem, a blockage) add the coconut milk to the prunes with the cinnamon and cacao powder and I guess you could eat it a bit like a porridge. It works better if it's warm, and I also drink a glass of warm water and lemon juice after it.

Some reason the combination of the soaked prunes and the coconut milk just works - and I'd rather that than taking laxatives, which I used to be dependent on until going Paleo.

I had the exact same issues and I attribute it to the radical change in my diet. The first nine days of whole30, I was a bloated, backed up mess!

I went from poops like clockwork to nothing. constant peeing too. It took till day ten when all of the bloating disappeared and now I finally feel "normal." Still not like before, instead of daily, it's maybe once a day/every other day.

I am eating way less on this program. without all of the sugar spikes (I think that's what it was) I am not constantly hungry, craving something to hold me over, and snacking. I am hungry at mealtime and that's about it.

I think I'm pooping less because the sheer volume of food going through my system is much smaller. I'm thankful for that! And I'm not feeling constipated or backed up either. It just took about 2 weeks for my body to figure it out!

Sorry for talking crap! lol.

Okay, so now I am having the opposite problem. I went from constipation to pooping 3x a day! What the heck is going on with me?!?!

I can totally sympathise. I was like that when I started W30 swinging from one to the other and back again. It took me several weeks to settle down but then it did and I've had absolutely no problems since. I think we just all take different times for our gut to fully adapt.

Archived