Chicken thighs vs. chicken breasts

Nicole M

That makes sense. We usually eat breasts (probably because of the "lean" properties from our pre-Paleo days), but I am going to try to start buying thighs and see how they are.

I have also noticed that they are cheaper :ph34r: The hubs really likes chicken breasts (had to clarify what type of breasts, lol), so it might be a challenge to get him to switch.

I totally tried to talk him into chicken thighs at Costco over the weekend... and he said no :(

Apparently "they" told him that the breast is the best cut of the chicken. Not sure who "they" are... but I need to find out!

The fight continues... :blink:

I tried to pull a Whole 30 on him-- he's been pretty agreeable to stuff that I say we should eat because it was in ISWF or on the forums.

SO I said "well the forums said that it is a fattier piece of meat and better for us to eat than breasts"...he didn't buy it... -_-

How about boneless thighs? I love thighs, but I'll admit I prefer eating chicken breasts because it's just "easier". If it's a taste issue, it won't fix it, but sometimes, I just like to be able to cut and eat, without having to go around the bones.

Anyway, you can use chicken breasts in most recipes that call for thighs.

I think it's just because he's always been told that breasts are "better" cuts of the chicken. I would definitely purchase boneless, skinless because that would definitely be easier. I think I am just going to buy some and tell him to shut up and try it! :D

I tried using boneless chicken thighs when I started my Whole30, but I just don't like the taste. Chicken breasts tend to dry out, and sometimes they seem a bit tasteless, but they're easier for me to choke down. On the whole, I wish it was feasible for me to eat beef and pork all the time.

I grew up eating dark meat too. My Mom would roast/fry a couple of whole chickens for dinner, take the breasts off for chicken salad lunches and we had the dark meat left for dinner.

To get my husband to eat chicken thighs, I throw them in a slow cooker(skin removed) with diced tomatoes, green chilis, onions and seasoning of choice. I think it tames the taste of dark meat down a bit.

I much prefer dark over white, but also bone in because of all the flavir the bones add. My favorite thing to keep on hand are roasted bone in skin on chicken thighs from pastured chickens. I buy whole chickens most of the time and lately have been using the breasts for soup.

I much prefer dark over white, but also bone in because of all the flavir the bones add. My favorite thing to keep on hand are roasted bone in skin on chicken thighs from pastured chickens. I buy whole chickens most of the time and lately have been using the breasts for soup.

I wish that I could bring myself to pay the price for pastured chickens. I pay a kings ransom for quality pork so I had to draw the line some where. :(

Oh Sharon, I don't always spring for pastured. In fact, in Oregon, it is seasonal so it's not always available. I did find a new farm who says all of their meats are pastured and grass fed. Hogs and chickens are not fed corn or soy. Chris Kresser had the farm on his FB page. They ship to Northern Cal and Oregon, so it must be big. It's only 25 minutes from my house so I am visiting them on saturday to see how they pasture chickens in this weather. The farmer was tiring of my questions (he probably had chores to do) so he suggested I come out when their store is open for 2 hours on Sat and take a tour of the farm. Get this, their whole chickens are 6.99 per lb. That blew me away. I probably will come away empty handed but can't wait to see the place. I'm hoping they have some pork belly in my budget. :) I am determined to find "my farmer". I tried eatwild but everything is in Eastern Oregon so I know there are a lot closer to me. Wow...I certainly gassed on a bit. :)

No luck on finding a farmer here and any I read about are several hours away and delivery charges make it more cost effective to shop around here. $6.99 per pound... ouch! I did find a farmer I buy all my greens from at the local Saturday market. Just a tad cheaper than WF but he doesn't harvest anything til right before heading to the market and his farm is actually certified organic, plus he's a nice guy.

Sadly chicken from china is probably raised better than the ones in the USA, they don't use corn and usually have large roaming areas.

Chicken breasts are often preferred for their more uniform shape. They're low in fat and easy (and pretty) for slicing.

If you want to sneak more thigh in his diet, roast whole chickens and shred the meat. He may notice it's more tasty :)

I like both and the secret to not drying out chicken breasts is not to overcook them (if they're too thick, cut em up) and use enough fat (great in duck fat!).

Praxis, I hope this doesn't come off as too defensive but I have seen multiple posts from you about the low quality meats in the US. I am not very good at ignoring blanket statements. We have a huge variety of levels of sources to buy meats from. Yes factory farms are the worst, but it has actually gotten easier to avoid that without spending a fortune. Not everyone can afford to buy the top level, but it is available to everyone. I have to watch my spending carefully, but with sales and careful spending I would say I am doing very well in sourcing meat from happy animals.

Mostly, I don't see the point of such posts. It doesn't really help anyone in any way that I can think of. I hope you don't take this post wrong.

Archived