breaded fish

TimeForChangeMike

I literally just finished eating cod that had an amazing crust! I do this with chicken too. Put almonds with salt pepper and whatever other seasonings you want into blender and grind it up. Dip the cod in egg then coat in the crushed almond mixture- bake or fry! I fried it :) the crust tasted great and stuck to the fish perfectly.

I have had luck using almond flour as a "breading" if I dip the protein (usually fish or chicken) in a beaten egg first. Last night, I tried something different based on a recommendation from Robin Strathdee on ways to use up the Well Fed mayo--I sprinkled a rockfish fillet with salt & pepper, spread mayo over both sides, then dredged it in almond flour. That got me the nicest crust I've had yet--nice & even, cooked up well, and tasted great! (and I am not a mayo fan, so there was no over-the-top mayo flavor) Paired with a quick homemade cocktail sauce, it was wonderful!

Does the mayo taste like anything? Aussies aren't as mayo crazy as our American cousins ;) I cannot imagine it with salmon.

I don't even like mayonnaise. Everyone else in my house does, but not me. But, I had some on hand one afternoon when I was out of other cooking fats and I slathered it on some chicken breasts before baking. It kind of melts/softens/whathaveyou and doesn't retain it's mayoness IMO.

I don't even like mayonnaise. Everyone else in my house does, but not me. But, I had some on hand one afternoon when I was out of other cooking fats and I slathered it on some chicken breasts before baking. It kind of melts/softens/whathaveyou and doesn't retain it's mayoness IMO.

Ooo yum! Mayo and dill on a thick slab of white fish is SUPER yummy. Mayo on my chicken sounds super yummy.

I'm with praxis, I think the time honoured aussie tradition of coleslaw smothered in a mayo dressing in the 70's (and the KFC salads) has skewed the tastebuds against mayo for ever! I did make pulled pork and carnitas today and sort of enjoyed the novelty... a little bit... but its just not really something we eat here despite our profuse multiculturalism

You know Juz I think that's exactly where my mayo aversion comes from :lol: Too many 70s white coated salads with unknown lumps in them.

I had some purple slaw of some kind a few months back, at a mexican place (with pulled pork) and I loved it, but I have no idea what was in it except purple cabbage and a few bits of carrot, the waiter didn't know.

How about this Sweet Potato Crusted Fish?

http://www.mylifeasamrs.com/2011/05/sweet-potato-crusted-fish-with-cilantro-lime-vinaigrette.html

I made it last night with tilapia, and it was delicious! Obviously, I had to make some subs to keep it compliant - ghee for butter, almond flour for flour. I didn't have all the ingredients on hand for the Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette, but will definitely try it next time.

Archived