Coconut & Tapioca Flour

lscott

• Moderators

Most of the Paleo treats out there are dangerous to your relationship with food and not okay during a Whole30.

You can use coconut or tapioca flour to brown meat or thicken a sauce. You cannot use any flour to make baked goods, pancakes, or desserts during a Whole30. Just because an ingredient is acceptable does not make its use in a recipe acceptable. During a Whole30 we ask you to avoid replicating conventional foods with acceptable ingredients because that stops you from learning to eat in new ways and makes you susceptible to slipping back to foods that are absolutely not acceptable.

Thanks Tom! I sort of figured that but didn't know I could use it to thicken and brown. There was a paleo "oatmeal" recipe with coconut flour, milk, pumpkin and bananas. Its sounded very much like a treat and thats what I was doing, "replicating". Looking for the hot breakfast item! Thanks again

I wanted to add a little personal story here. I'm not currently on a whole30 but I am relatively strict about 90% of the time. As a rule I used to never bake or make blatant SWYPO foods but lately, probably starting around the holidays, I have been dabbling a bit. I recently discovered a tapioca flour pizza recipe which is clearly SWYPO and uses dairy. But not being on a whole30 I thought I'd try it and just make it an occasional treat. The good news? It was incredibly delicious. The bad news? I couldn't stop eating it and in fact ate the whole thing, then continued to make it about 3 times in 1 week. Each time I woke feeling bloated and gross with stomach cramps and I ate the pizzas out of convenience and because they were faster than cooking a real protein and veggie. COMPLETE AND TOTAL FAIL! I think it sort of illustrates the danger with SWYPO type foods. For me, some things are triggers for bad habits so allowed or not, always consider what makes sense in your own context and even if you can slip something in by some technicality, remember it might not be the best choice.

I recently discovered a tapioca flour pizza recipe which is clearly SWYPO and uses dairy.

Very interesting! I seem to have severe problems with tapioca flour... Too starchy?

I made an almond meal pizza crust once which I enjoyed very much but it didn't cause problems or unleash any brakes thank goodness... Although I made this after first trying the foodee chicken pie with almond crust... So I can see how these things can be triggers .... in a number of ways

You probably can make rutabaga hash browns. They may take a bit longer to cook even in shredded form. They usually take about 15 min longer in the oven for me over sweet potatoes.

So did you try them?

I did! I cut the baga into some big chunks and pre-cooked them a bit first. They were still really firm, but I could pierce them with a fork. Then I shredded them and fried them over pretty high heat. They were FAB. Making more right now, actually!

Archived