Cooking plantains

I read about plantains in a thread a few days ago, so I bought some. I read about a twice fried method. I am wondering if there are other methods. For example, we'll have the grill out (in the snow) tomorrow and I was thinking we might be able to grill one before frying it. If so, would we grill it in the skin and peel and slice it to fry?

Any tips you have about plantains would be great!

Thanks!

Green or ripe?

I picked the ugliest ones I could find based on what I had read here. I kept reading on other sites and saw that I could do a preparation involving the grill, but mine aren't black yet. I have them in a bag in the warmest part of the kitchen and I hope they are ready to cook before my husband has to leave on a business trip so that we can try them together.

I made those tostadas this weekend with ripe ones (the only kind available) and they were delicious. I threw a clove of garlic in the blender when I mashed em up. The consistency was more like thick pancake batter so I just spooned discs onto the parchment paper. I didn't even have to flip them. Everyone in my family loved them. They were super easy and delicious. Thanks for a great recipe.

For I ripe plantains...... Quick and dirty....

Cut off the ends and microwave for 2-3 min until it starts to soften and the peel will come right off..... Slice into 3/4 inch slices.... Pop back in microwave for one min. M then with the edge of a thick chef knife ( rocks glass will work to) smash them down to 1/4 inch thick..... Heat some coconut oil ( a good amount)over med flame and sauté until crispy crunchy.... Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy with just about anything

...... You can skip the microwave and deep fry them twice, 1st over slow heat until soft, then smash...... I find the microwave easier and less messy and you save a ton of oil.....

I schlepped out to Whole Foods yesterday because they're the only place I know in this city that sells plantains. This morning I tried the above method - epic fail! :( Apparantly I am genetically inadequate as I do not have asbestos hands. Wow this was freakin hot coming out the microwave - yes I know - what did I expect? :huh: Have you ever tried to peel anything wearing oven gloves? :wacko: Also I don't think I left it in the microwave long enough as it was still really difficult to peel. By the time I'd finished I had a chopping board full of little bits of plantain, nothing approaching slices :unsure: However I threw them all in the pan with some coconut oil, bashed them about as they were cooking, added some cooked ground beef, spinach and topped the lot with a couple of fried eggs - delicious :)

I schlepped out to Whole Foods yesterday because they're the only place I know in this city that sells plantains. This morning I tried the above method - epic fail! :(

Plantain drama :) Let them sit on your counter to ripe them next time. Time consuming but fail proof method.

Btw - you can boil them unpeeled! First, rinse and scrub the plantains well. Cut off the ends, then slice each plantain in half, crosswise. Add the plantains and salt to a large pot of water and bring everything to a boil. As soon as the water starts to bubble, drizzle in some olive oil and allow the plantains to simmer for about 15-20 minutes. You'll notice that the peels will start to open up when they're done.

I schlepped out to Whole Foods yesterday because they're the only place I know in this city that sells plantains. This morning I tried the above method - epic fail! :( Apparantly I am genetically inadequate as I do not have asbestos hands. Wow this was freakin hot coming out the microwave - yes I know - what did I expect? :huh: Have you ever tried to peel anything wearing oven gloves? :wacko: Also I don't think I left it in the microwave long enough as it was still really difficult to peel. By the time I'd finished I had a chopping board full of little bits of plantain, nothing approaching slices :unsure: However I threw them all in the pan with some coconut oil, bashed them about as they were cooking, added some cooked ground beef, spinach and topped the lot with a couple of fried eggs - delicious :)

I'm sorry for your pain, but I literally just spit my cup of bone broth across the room as I was sipping and reading I was laughing so hard....

I was just trying to imagine you peeling them with oven mits on... PPWOMO. instead of SWYPO.....

I guess I forgot to mention I have asbestos for hands after 30 years in the kitchen.... I learned how to efficiently peel green plantains from all my Haitian cooks ( I still let them do it at work as they are ten times faster than me). At home I pop them in the microwave to soften so I don't have to fry twice....

So .... New technique

Step one: get some plantains

Step two: find someone from a Caribbean island

Step three: pay them to peel the plantains for you

Step four: don't use oven mitts....

I was just trying to imagine you peeling them with oven mits on... PPWOMO. instead of SWYPO....

It's so like Kirsteen to keep at it until she had a meal no matter what. :)

Ok, I'm really laughing out loud now, PPWOMO, that's going to be my new motto :D

And oh no, I don't give up easy, not where plantains are concerned :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

I fried up a plantain today in ONE STEP and it was wickedly delicious. It had ripened on the counter for a week- but even so I find them difficult to peel. I slice both ends off then score the skin lengthwise about 5 or 6 times all the way around- then it's only about 3/4 inch strip to peel off and it's much easier. Then I sliced it in half crosswise and cut it into strips lengthwise. (I don't think it matters much about the slicing). I was preheating my cast iron grill pan which has a lid that fits inside which serves as a press. I arranged the slices in the hot coconut oiled pan and placed the lid on and fried me up until intuition and delicious smells told me to flip them over. Gave me a couple more minutes then turned the heat of and let them rest a bit. They were gorgeously browned with grill marks and chewy and soft on the inside. Sprinkled with sea salt, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ok....grammar police....

The use of " me " is always either a direct or an indirect object, never the subject of the sentence. I believe you should have stated " I gave (myself) a couple more minutes....." But really you gave the plantains a couple of more minutes so they are the real subject if the sentence!

Ok conjugate the verb to its correct tense.... Make sure you don't have a dangling participle ( hey teacher! I got a dangling participle for you right over here)..... now was it for whom or who the bell tolls?

Me ain't gonna tolerate no poor grammar from y'all!!!

LMAO...... Woooooo sorry I think my workout went to my head today

Have a great day :) :) :)

Ok....grammar police....

The use of " me " is always either a direct or an indirect object, never the subject of the sentence

. I believe you should have stated " I gave

(myself) a couple more minutes....." But really you gave the plantains a couple of more minutes so they are the real subject if the sentence!

Ok conjugate the verb to its correct tense.... Make sure you don't have a dangling participle ( hey teacher! I got a dangling participle for you right

over here)..... now was it for whom or who the bell tolls?

Me ain't gonna tolerate no poor grammar from

y'all!!!

LMAO...... Woooooo sorry I think my workout went to my head today

Have a great day :) :) :)

Oh brother ....

It was actually supposed so same 'em, short for them, but autocorrect had a mind of it's own.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived