Green Pastures Butter Oil/Fermented Cod Liver Oil

lbosmer

I am currently doing a W30 and I am wondering if this is compliant?

Green Pastures Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil/Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend- non flavored

Ingredients: Fermented Cod Liver Oil, High Vitamin Butter Oil, Silica

The label says "Contains Fish, Milk" Which is why I am asking if I can take it. They have a variety that is just the Fermented Cod Liver Oil that does not contain milk.

Here is their site:

http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Products/ButterCodLiverBlend/index.cfm

Great question, but I'm going to have to phone a friend here.

This is a GREAT supplement for general use, and judging from the prep of the butter oil, I'm 95% sure that you're good to go with this supp on your W30. The milk proteins are separated from the butter oil in much the same way as clarification (except without heat), so it should be in on the same rule that allows ghee and clarified butter.

The Head Diesel, Melissa, is offline for her Tuesday, but I'll shoot her an email for the official thumbs up tomorrow.

Robin, I think the cod oil is the nutritious ingredient where you get a lot of vitamins but they add the butter oil to make it more palatable. Just my guess. I tried to take some sort of fancy pants Nordic cod liver oil and hard as I tried, I could not stand the taste. But wait...these are pills. I'm confused too, but do let me know if I should up my consumption of ghee. :0)

Robin, I think the cod oil is the nutritious ingredient where you get a lot of vitamins but they add the butter oil to make it more palatable. Just my guess. I tried to take some sort of fancy pants Nordic cod liver oil and hard as I tried, I could not stand the taste. But wait...these are pills. I'm confused too, but do let me know if I should up my consumption of ghee. :0)

My understanding is different- that the butter oil is a superconcentrated form of the buttery nutrients (especially K2, I believe) and more potent than ghee in part because of that concentration and in part because it's separated centrifugally as opposed to with heat, so none of the enzymes/nutrients are destroyed. I've also heard that it is not yummy at all, which is why they put it in capsules or if you buy the liquid, include a syringe so you can just shoot it into the back of your throat.

Also, the centrifuge seems more effective at removing the trace lactose and casein that can remain in ghee processing, especially when we make it at home.

So in answer to Robin's question, you get the nutrients without the allergic reaction, if you're supersensitive, and/or you don't have to eat mad quantities of clarified butter.

In answer to the OP- my bet is that Melissa will say that if ghee is fine, HVBO is fine. Though now that I think about it, what's the rule on silica?

(This is simply a more tolerable way to get your cod liver on, Robin. Have you ever tried to take the stuff on its own? Vile.)

Melissa

Are you saying that cod liver oil by itself tastes worse?! Hard to believe that's even possible.

This is fine on your Whole30 - there are little to no milk proteins left in the butter oil, much like clarified butter. (This is simply a more tolerable way to get your cod liver on, Robin. Have you ever tried to take the stuff on its own? Vile.)

Melissa

Ah...gotcha! No, aside from the one shot of SFH oil I tasted at a W9 Seminar, I've never tried any dietary supplemental oil type thingies :) I figured there had to be more to it than really expensive ghee + cod liver oil :)

B-b-b-but I LIKE the taste of cod liver oil. Like the dark vein of a good swordfish steak. Yum! I got annoyed with Carlsons when they started putting lemon flavoring in their cod and fish liver oils, and now you can't even FIND the unflavored stuff any more.

Is sparkling water with aromas aloud`?

Hi, in the US i believe there is a flavoured sparkling water that is compliant. Sorry I can't remember which one. Here in the UK I've never found one that didn't include some kind of sweetener or chemical ingredient that ruled it out. What are the ingredients of the water?

Hi, in the US i believe there is a flavoured sparkling water that is compliant. Sorry I can't remember which one. Here in the UK I've never found one that didn't include some kind of sweetener or chemical ingredient that ruled it out. What are the ingredients of the water?

It only says: Natural water with arome of lemon. Thats all, not any other information...

Sounds good to me. Of course you can also take plain sparkling water and add some lemon. i like to cut a lemon or orange into 8 parts and pop in the freezer. Then when I add a bit to sparkling water it mildly flavours it and cools it down - a few mint leaves and I'm all set :)

B-b-b-but I LIKE the taste of cod liver oil.

Before starting the whole 30 I could barely choke mine down with a spoonful of raw honey- once I started I didn't even WANT to take it if I couldn't have the honey. Well after Melissa gave the A-ok, I tried it that night. I measured out my portion and dipped dried strawberries into it. And I couldn't believe it but I like the taste WITHOUT THE STRAWBERRIES. By the time I was done I was licking the spoon. I can't believe how much w30 has changed my tastebuds!!

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the FCLO/BO.... I've been taking these for a a few months now. My kids get the blend, I take FCLO and FSLO (skate) and BO all separately. I was following WAPF before I started W30 and they consider FCLO the best superfood you can get so living in Canada with flu season and all I figured we'd try it.

The Buttter Oil (K2) makes it so that the FCLO vitamins are optimally absorbed. Some say that if you take raw dairy you can just do the FCLO on it's own.

About the taste.... I NEVER thought I could do this. Had tried fish omega pills before and always burped them and found them to be totally disgusting. I gotta say this Green Pastures stuff is doable!!! The kids take the Cinnamon Tingle blend and they love it! The non flavored BO is kinda gross - you get a really strong butter taste and it's thick and kinda gritty. Was told to get the Butter Pecan flavour but it was out of stock. I have Cinnamon Tingle CLO and Spicy Orange SLO and those are tolerable. Somedays are harder than others and so I pinch my nose and chug water after each spoonful. And it's all gone! They also say refrigerating them makes the fish taste go away. I actually just put mine in the fridge yesterday and will see.

We've not been sick at all this winter so it must be working!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Weston Price say you should have butter and butter oil for the vitemin K. However dairy doesn't even make it into the top 10 sources for Vit K

http://www.healthali...f-vitamin-k.php

I've always heard differently. Grass fed makes a difference too vs conventional milk. Thought you might find this interesting too http://chriskresser.com/vitamin-k2-the-missing-nutrient

Archived