carrageenan from seaweed

hulaomanini

Hello,

looking into buying some deli meats from applegate farms. Can somone confirm if Carrageenan from seaweed is okay? I don't think we are supposed to eat carrageenan but wasn't sure if from seaweed made a difference?

Also, is applegate farms a reputable source to buy deli meats and hot dogs from? just wondering!

thanks!

• Moderators

Carrageenan is never okay. It may have been seaweed when it started life, but it was transformed into something that harms your gut significantly.

Applegate Farms has some good products, but some of them are not okay during a Whole30.

I think seaweed is the source of carrageenan. I just finished the book, or so I though, and never saw the details on that, MSG, and sulfites. I'll have to look again.

On the other hand, there are some compliant (and yummy) products made by Applegate Farms. I often have their organic chicken apple sausage for breakfast.

got it thanks! and just to make sure evaporated cane sugar is out right? some people say they have aidell's sausage the chicken and apple kind but it has evaporated can sugar in it?? or maybe it has juice concentrate? i don't know my gut said not to buy it but if its compliant it would be a nice option.

Just purchased some smoked turkey (applegate farms brand) today from the deli section where they slice for you by the pound at whole foods. The applegate ingredients were turkey and salt.

My Whole Foods said it's basted with sugar and white wine or it would look unappetizing. He said only the roast beef has just beef and pepper.

Oftentimes, companies add extra ingredients to packaged foods to help them keep their texture on the shelf (or in the cooler case). I've found this to be the case with AF deli meats. Those sliced at the counter of my local health food store seem to be compliant, while those available pre-sliced have carageenan in them.

got it thanks! and just to make sure evaporated cane sugar is out right? some people say they have aidell's sausage the chicken and apple kind but it has evaporated can sugar in it?? or maybe it has juice concentrate? i don't know my gut said not to buy it but if its compliant it would be a nice option.

As far as I am aware, Aidell's chicken and apple sausage doesn't have sugar in it except from fruit juice. Some of their other varieties do. If you see it with sugar, it may be a regional variation.

Archived