Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so hard to come back to reality.  I spent a week in a lovely golf villa on a beautiful resort.  We even had a housekeeper so I didn't have to do dishes or laundry.  I cooked just a couple times.  We played at the beach and the pool, swam with dolphins, zip-lined, read a ton, played games, relaxed.  It was so nice to be away from work and the routine. 

Of course, now I'm suffering from vacation hang over.  I did not get enough movement.  I also didn't eat the best.  I had alcohol every day, though most days was just one drink, but still...  I failed Lent and had ice cream (I'm back on it now, though).  I didn't get nearly enough veggies due to reading warnings about eating produce at restaurants.  The couple meals we ate at the villa I was able to disinfect some produce and get my fill, but at restaurants I sometimes ended up eating bread, etc, just to feel full.  Definitely not normal.  My weight is up and I'm feeling bloat-y.  I am working on getting back on track.  I loaded up on veggies and am trying to get back to calm, normal for me eating.  I'm also getting back to yoga and making a renewed commitment to get out for a walk at lunch most days.  It's been months and months of working through lunch.  That's not healthy.  I know that I'll feel better soon.  No sugar, lots of veggies, yoga and walk = back to normal!

I'm doing well so far.  2 days of good food, a lunchtime walk and yoga.  Today might not be as great.  It's rainy/snowy out so I'm not sure I can get in a walk and we are busy tonight so no yoga.  But, I will eat well.  :)

It's still a work in progress.  I could have gone for a walk yesterday but I was busy and it was cold and windy - excuses.  I need to force myself out to get back into the habit.  I also did some snacking (almond butter sigh) because I got hungry.  Again, I need to force myself to live with a little hunger or make myself a real meal.  It's so easy to lose good habits but so tough to bring them back!

Fingers crossed that I can get a walk today.  It's still cold and windy but I can still go out.

• Moderators

When spring truly arrives and stays, it will get easier. What if it doesn't have to be a fight? <-- I like to ask myself this A LOT.

"No sugar, lots of veggies, yoga and walk = back to normal!" <-- all the yeses to this!!

And I'm also on the I need to learn to live with a little hunger or make a real meal track. It helps me to think about giving the body time between meals to digest. Ayurvedically speaking, snacking is seriously ill advised. Dampens digestive fire and all that.

We'll get there!

Glad you had a lovely vacay that was truly a vacay. You deserved it!

Ugh!  I need to do something different.  I just can't get my mojo back after vacation.  I'm not doing what I want to do.  I hate that.  I'm going to try posting everything I eat here for a while to see if that gives me a sense of accountability.  If I keep this up, I will have to buy a new wardrobe, which I do not want to do.  Not to mention that it's not good for my body or mind to feel out of control.

So, here goes... It's not pretty so far today but hopefully putting it on "paper" will help myself more aware so that I can knock it off!

Friday-

eggs, kale

coffee, coconut millk

cupcake - yep.  Sigh.  Just because somebody brought them in.  Despite Lent and my own desire to say not to sugar.  Moving on, but not happy about it.

Rest of the day - I forgot my lunch at home.  I'm hoping I can get out at lunchtime to run errands and will pick up a salad at Whole Foods.  Dinner will be that lunch salad.  Yoga tonight.  No walk (see errands).  I did get out for a very short walk yesterday, though.  And will try to do yoga and walks this weekend.  Maybe I'll even clean out my exercise room so I can use my machines if it's cold/windy.  Aiming for a calm weekend!

• Moderators

I'm sorry you're struggling, Jen! You're where I've been the past few weeks. It sucks. I find the best thing is to come to some kind of "NO CHOICE" decisions around food. For me, sometimes that's W30, sometimes it's a cleanse of one sort or another. These between season periods are good times to do cleanses--and particularly difficult times to get a grip, I find. Spring is especially challenging. Easter is a little more than a week away. Do you want to have a repeat of--when was that?--two or three years ago? (I had the face plant in Easter candy in 2012 and vowed never again, so again, this comes from a place of real empathy.)

My suggestion? Do what you have to do to move away from fear. Living in that place is even worse than an expanding waistline--and remember I'm saying this from a place of only being able to fit into my roomy pants. Wanting desperately to be able to wear my favorite cute spring clothes! Let's both get into our happy places together!

Also, sorry you left your lunch at home. WF sounds like a great plan B, though. Yoga tonight, too!

I think it's so hard to adjust after vacations or holidays.  I'm dreading this after my upcoming vacation!  I wouldn't beat yourself up but do what you know works -- posting your food diary, getting in your exercise, etc.  You'll get back on track!  

I'm still not making the best choices but I'm committed to recording it so that I can't fool myself into thinking I'm making better choices. 

Yesterday - lunch was a salad from WF and a few handfuls of granola (not the best choice...) and one chip with guac.  The WF by work moved to a new location and OMG is it huge and beautiful and tempting.  I can't go there too often!  11yo's almond cheese was on sale, though, so it was worth the trip. :)  Then, dinner was salad, fish and avocado.  And, a spontaneous happy hour with a glass of wine and a couple pieces of flat bread.  So, not great choices from start to finish.  However, it helped me remember that what I want is to skip things like work cupcakes and WF samples so that I can enjoy a spontaneous happy hour without guilt. 

Today - yogurt and a banana before yoga (early morning yoga is tough.  I need something that sits well but isn't too much - this works for me).  Latte with almond milk with a friend.  Eggs and kale for lunch.  I'm not sure about dinner.  I'm hanging out with my sister tonight.  She had gastric sleeve surgery in December so it will definitely not be a lot of food/drinks.  I'm just not sure what we'll end up doing. 

Tomorrow - most likely yogurt/banana before yoga and eggs n kale for lunch.  We're going to my grandma's birthday thing for lunch, but it will be deli meat/cheese/rolls and cake.  I'm going to eat before we go.  It's not a sit down lunch, just an open house/buffet thing so it's ok if I don't eat. 

Oh, and I ended up skipping yoga last night.  It took too long to get 11yo fed, packed and off to scout camp.  I took a walk instead.  That worked.  The happy hour was with another mom during 14yo's soccer practice.  I went to yoga this morning, though, and convinced my sister to try it with me tomorrow! 

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

• Moderators

And, a spontaneous happy hour with a glass of wine and a couple pieces of flat bread.  So, not great choices from start to finish.  However, it helped me remember that what I want is to skip things like work cupcakes and WF samples so that I can enjoy a spontaneous happy hour without guilt. 

I love this! And I try to do the same. Remind myself that making the best possible choices as my norm allows for flexibility and spontaneity when the opportunity arises.

Figuring out for ourselves what is truly worth it is totally the name of the game, don't you think? And something we're always negotiating and learning about, i might add. . . . 

Yay for yoga and for getting your sis on board!

I have really been struggling during this back end of winter this year.  Telling myself I would reign it in, doing it for a day, and then going back to the old pattern.  I finally managed a good week, including the weekend this past week, after my sister invited me to get accountable with her.  I am TRYING to do this in a way that is kind to myself.  Lots of movement, lots of veggies, but really trying to kick to the curb the habits that aren't benefiting me.

Your post over the weekend definitely sounded calmer and more grounded.  Keep it up.  And I'm glad to see you are getting in lots of yoga!

Jen, I think our mind has to be there first and then the body follows.  I also need to work on what I really want.  I love a glass of wine but if I want to have that I need to not eat the work sweets.  I'm with you all the way!  

Thanks for the support!  My goal this week is to say "no, thank you" at least once!  Hopefully more than once.

Saturday ended up fine.  Dinner was shrimp, salad and sweet potato.  Sunday continued my inability to say no.  I had my yogurt and banana for breakfast, eggs and kale for lunch, and then did not manage to say "no, thank you" at the party.  I had some salad, veggies and guac and then gave in to pressure and had a sliver of cake.  Not horrible, but not necessary and not that good, anyway.  I need to relearn how to just say no (to others AND to myself).  I've done it before so I know I can do it again.  I just need to get back into the habit of saving the "yes" for something I really want.  That is going to be my goal this week - to say no unless it's special and I really want it.

Dinner last night was chicken, roasted veg (LOVE roasted broc, but a bit bloat-y today because of it), salad and the unnecessary 2nd half of my sister's yogurt for "dessert".

So far today - eggs, kale, coffee w/ coconut milk, a lick of sunbutter (while making 11yo's sandwich - need to relearn to say no to that, too!).  Salad, avocado, tuna.  Dinner in the crock for the family is BBQ beef roast.  I will miss dinner due to carpool so might just have more eggs n kale.  I miscounted and bought too much kale this week.  Not a bad thing, in my book! :P

Hopefully yesterday continued to be a good day.  Extra kale is yum in my book!  I'm really trying to look to vegetables as my go to when I get snacky or hungry.  Not reaching for nuts (or various other things, yes, chips, I'm talking about you!) has seemed to really be helping me.

Yesterday continued to be a good day.  I ate some plain salad while waiting for carpool pick up and then kale and eggs after carpool.  And a post (really good class!) yoga banana.  Yay!

Today - eggs, kale, coffee w/ coconut milk.  salad, avocado, tuna.  salad, veg, beef.  post yoga something. 

Hey Jen! Can you believe this is our fourth spring here? (Can that be right?? It was 2013 the first time, right?) I've really been struggling with the will I or won't I thing lately. I agree that at times like this maybe a clean break is needed. At least that's what I'm hoping. :)

And I love the, what if it doesn't have to be a struggle? What if indeed!

Beets!  It's so good to see you.  I cannot believe it's our 4th spring.  Crazy!  I am determined NOT to fall into the Easter candy this year!

Yesterday was as planned!  Yay!  It feels good.

Today - eggs, kale, coffee w/CM, swpot w/ CB (noticed I got hungry pretty early yesterday).  Lunch out with my dad - got my usual salmon, spinach, goat cheese salad - YUM!  dinner is chicken soup in the crockpot, which will be so nice as it's cold and snowing right now!  I did not dress appropriately for cold and snowing!  Oh well.  No walk because of lunch with dad and no yoga because of 11yo dodge ball practice at my house (and I don't really like the Wed class anymore.  sad).  So, I guess it's a rest day.  I need to get to bed a little earlier tonight.  We started watching Downton Abby last night and so got to bed later than I'd like.  

I ended up fitting a walk in between dinner and the kids arriving for dodge ball practice. 

Today - eggs, kale, coffee w/ CM, swpot w/ CB.  salad, avocado, tuna.  chicken soup, salad.  lunch walk.

Archived