What about DARK (VERY) CHOCOLATE

ozgur

All,

Sorry if this has been posted before, I tried searching and couldn't find one. I'm on my 5th day of Whole30, and it is not going bad. I'm enjoying rewiring my taste buds:)

Question is for those who love DARK chocolate, what is the protocol during and after Whole30.

I know added sugar is out, so that probably means 99% of the dark chocolate is out. Are there any approved Dark chocolate for the Whole 30. I recall a friend from the UK who had no sugar added chocolate.

What are the best dark chocolate, with the least sugar added, that we can buy in the US. Both for DURING and AFTER WHOLE30.

Looking forward to your answers.

Thanks,

suggestions for after your whole30:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-5-best-dark-chocolate-bars-in-the-world/#axzz24BryLfVV (the chocolove one is pretttty delicious)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-all-chocolate-created-equal/#axzz24BryLfVV

http://www.etherealconfections.com/akasha-chocolate-bars-1.html (haven't tried these, but one of the owners was featured on mark's daily apple; these akasha bars sound delicious and are free of soy)

endangered species (which you can get at whole foods) makes some delicious ones as well, but i don't remember if they have soy lecithin...

lindt is probably the easiest to find :)

Many of the chocolate bars featured on Mark's daily apple have soy lecithin. My wife is allergic to soy and dairy but loves chocolate so I read every chocolate bar I see. Equal Exchange are the most readily available bars that are dairy free and soy free, and come in several flavors (I think the dairy free ones are orange, mint, espresso, and almond). They do have sugar. There are some raw vegan bars that are cacao and agave or cacao and coconut sugar, but I can't find them online. I'll have to see if any have survived her sweet tooth when I get home tonight.... ;)

Before we started out whole30 I was making my own dark chocholate-- it is super easy and very yummy!

I used raw cacao powder (navitas naturals) mixed it with a little (1/2 packet) stevia powder (not whole30 approved!), pinch of salt and melted coconut oil (it is always liquid in my house since we live in the south). Mix it all around until you get a nice shiny dark color and smooth consistency. Then spread it out onto a plastic wrap lined plate (makes it easier to remove) and pop it in the freezer! Within about 10-15 min you have dark chocolate! We like spicy chocholate in our house so we often added some cayenne for a kick! There are endless mods, you could add almonds, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, course salt on top... you get the idea! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a big measurer when I am experimenting with recipes, so you kind of just have to play with it and see how chocolatey you like yours! I would start with 1 T coconut oil to 2-3 T cacao powder ratio. If it is way to thick and not spreadable, add more coconut oil... if it is way to runny add some more cacao powder! :) Enjoy, once you are done with the Whole30 of course!

• 1 month later...
I'm not a big measurer when I am experimenting with recipes, so you kind of just have to play with it and see how chocolatey you like yours! I would start with 1 T coconut oil to 2-3 T cacao powder ratio. If it is way to thick and not spreadable, add more coconut oil... if it is way to runny add some more cacao powder! :) Enjoy, once you are done with the Whole30 of course!

I'm wondering if you could make this with applesauce to add a little sweetness. I'm having some people over for dinner next week, and whilst i will stay whole30 compliant, i want to make something for the other guests, that if i surccumb to eating, it won't ruin me and my whole30.

Or maybe i could just make bitter chocolate with saltanas or dried berries...

Lindt 85% and higher is soy lecithin free as is higher % Scharffen Berger, the 100% is actually pretty good shaved. Taza (OMG)...so, so good! And for anyone in the UK...Montezuma's is absolutely the very best chocolate around...organic, soy and gluten free, vegan.

I added cocoa as a spice last nigt to my sweet potato and over did it. So i think its best to just leave it out completely. Better mentally for me too.

It would probably be tasty if you mixed it into some melted coconut oil or even some coconut butter to top your sweet potato.

Hmmmm sounds delicious. I have a friend coming over for dinner on friday night, so maybe i'll make sweet potatoes with a little cocoa and coconut oil on them.

She's doing the whole30 with me, and she's doing amazingly. I didn't think she'd enjoy it or stick with it, but im soooo glad she has, and she's loving it. I just have to show her some good ways to prepare thefoods, so she sticks with a paleo lifestyle after. As i feel she would benefit from this heaps.

Hello!

I currently live in Germany and am doing my first Whole30 :)

I try to go raw as much as possible and before I started I went to an organic health market and found 100% RAW chocolate ... totally vegan with no added soy or any 'garbage' ingredients.

It was so freaking good and sweetened with coconut milk .. I mean you can't lose (maybe not during a whole30 but after) and it's 'sinfully' good AND good for you .. as far as chocolate goes (the best part).

Here is a link, you can buy it buy it by the case/individually on amazon.de (use a translator to read the page as it's not for sale yet on the amazon.com page):

http://www.amazon.de/Lovechock-Pur-Kakaosplitter-Riegel-40g/dp/B008156JL0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1352055998&sr=8-4

Facebook (in english): https://www.facebook.com/Lovechock

I don't know if this helps but I was seriously impressed with it and wanted to share ;)

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Lindt 85% and higher is soy lecithin free as is higher % Scharffen Berger, the 100% is actually pretty good shaved. Taza (OMG)...so, so good! And for anyone in the UK...Montezuma's is absolutely the very best chocolate around...organic, soy and gluten free, vegan.

I happened across mini bars of Montezuma today in a health food shop and rem reading it was very good and indeed it was!

Archived