Tuna, Salsa, Coconut Milk, and Coconut Oil

I'm getting ready to start my first W30 on June 4th and am in the process of planning out meals and buying groceries. What brands of canned tuna, coconut milk, and coconut oil should I buy? I'm especially scared of getting canned tuna with a bunch of soy or MSG or something bad.

In terms of coconut oil for cooking, are there certain types I should be buying (refined, etc.)? Same for olive oil (virgin, extra virgin, etc.)?

Same question for salsa -- any recommended brands?

I buy my coconut milk from Trader Joes. Only $1 for a can, and you cannot beat that price. I buy extra virgin coconut oil from TJs as well, but I have seen it at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc.

As far as tuna i'm not sure of the brand but make sure you are buying the kind that are packed in oil - most of them do not contain soy.

Olive oil I get the 'light tasting' pure olive oil. This helps when I make mayo.

Plan on spending lots of time reading ingredient labels - sometimes three or four times. Plan to be absolutely astonished at how many things contain sugar and soy (not to mention msg dressed up in different names - I tend to look for the words "hydrolyzed" and "modified" though there may be a more reliable way to find it). I think the one that offended me the most (I took it rather personally :ph34r: ) was the tuna advertised as being packed in water, but actually packed in soybean broth. :o

So your best bet is not brands, but your eyes and that little teeeeeeny ingredient list. And prepare to be astonished.

Also, if you like the taste of coconut, you can get regular coconut oil. If you dislike the taste of coconut (I can't be in the same room with any form of processed/packaged coconut - shudder), you can get refined coconut oil.

Happy shopping, and take your magnifying reading glasses with you! :lol:

If you have a costco, they carry Wild Planet tuna packed in water for a GREAT price for 6 cans. Its tuna, water and salt. Sustainably fished and line caught so no harming other fish or dolphins. I prefer the taste of tuna packed in olive oil but cant pass up the price.

Thanks for all the advice. So I should look for tuna with no MSG/no soy/no sugar? And preferably light, packed in oil?

Any suggestions about salsas and green tea varieties?

Actually, you will have to look for the ingredients list and read it carefully. Just looking at "No X ingredient" on the main part of the packaging won't work.

Same with salsa and tea. I turn every jar around and look at ingredients lists. And with teas, many of them have soy or stevia, so look out for it.

Again, ingredients lists are going to be your most direct and accurate source of information.

I get tuna from Wild Planet cans (BPA free / water) or Cento cans (olive oil, may or may not contain BPA). Other brands may have oil in them, and those that do should not contain soy.

Watch out for soy when buying tuna!!! This almost derailed my W30.

If you have a costco, they carry Wild Planet tuna packed in water for a GREAT price for 6 cans. Its tuna, water and salt. Sustainably fished and line caught so no harming other fish or dolphins. I prefer the taste of tuna packed in olive oil but cant pass up the price.

Thanks, Susan! Was just at the store and saw Wild Planet for $3+ per can, so I think I may have to either find another store or go a different route.

Has anyone used Chicken of the Sea? I found solid white albacore tuna in olive oil. Ingredients: solid white tuna, olive oil, water, salt. Seems fine to me, I guess I'm just paranoid that there's something bad in there and I'm just not noticing. But that's all that's on the ingredient list.

As Amy said you in general need to be diligent about reading labels. You will be shocked to see sweeteners and MSg and wheat and corn and soy in all kinds of things. Until all these threads about soy in tuna I had no idea that was an issue. (I don't eat much so I usually buy Cento or one of the "sustainable" brands.)

You have to get into the habit of reading labels. Pretty much 90% of the "off track" posts are about people eating something non-compliant bc they didn't read the label. Get into the habit.

It can also be dangerous to think of it in terms of brand, because some brands have different varieties--some are ok and some aren't. Brands also change ingredients, or have regional differences. Like with coconut milk: Our TJs only carries lite CM and coconut "cream" with carrageenan. So double check that.

In terms of CO, I get big tubs of Nutiva from Amazon subscribe and save. (Before my W30 I also stocked up on grass-fed beef sticks, coconut aminos, Artisana coconut butter, a case of Native Forest organic CM and grass-fed ghee--all through Amzn. You might want to check for a case of complaint tuna for a lower per can price.)

Tropical Traditions is another source of CO. They always have different promotions running and do free shipping from time to time.

Does anyone have any advice -- is it better to go for full fat coconut milk or the light version?

Full fat fo sho. Always.

Like with dairy, low fat versions will have something to take the place of fat. In the case of CM it's usually water, but may also have thickeners. You can water CM in a recipe if you want, for a different texture, but you don't want to pay for it.

Plus, we want the fat. Fat is good. Fat is your friend.

Full fat fo sho. Always.

Like with dairy, low fat versions will have something to take the place of fat. In the case of CM it's usually water, but may also have thickeners. You can water CM in a recipe if you want, for a different texture, but you don't want to pay for it.

Plus, we want the fat. Fat is good. Fat is your friend.

How about this. Went to TJ's today and saw two coconut milk options:

Light Coconut Milk: coconut milk, water

Coconut Cream (Extra Thick and Rich): coconut extracted, sodium carboxy methyl cellulose, xantham gum, water

There was no "full fat coconut milk" -- is coconut cream the same?

One thing I will say about the TJs coconut cream is that it's pretty yummy. :D

Those thickeners aren't the best but I think it's fine for a recipe. If I was going through a can a day I might choose a different brand. (The arroy-d brand is another good one. You can get it also on Amazon.)

Happy shopping, and take your magnifying reading glasses with you! :lol:

Oh, no kidding! I was in a local shop that has (mostly) organic stuff. I was expecting the things they carry to be "cleaner" somehow, but boy were there lots of skanky things in so many products. I kept picking things up, putting them back. Maddening!

• 1 month later...

Good grief! I bought a 4-pack of tuna and have been looking forward to making some mayo and having something I know the kids will like. The front says, "Chunk light tuna in water." The ingredients? "Light tuna, water, vegetable broth, salt. Contains: fish (tuna), soy." They don't even have the courtesy to list the soy on the ingredient list, but I guess it's hiding in that "vegetable broth"??? Ugh.

I'm thankful for this thread, and the fact that I hadn't gotten around to using it yet.

Archived