Rash. Incessant. Unbearable. Who Else Has It?

I am on Day 11. My rash started on Day 3 and keeps getting worse and worse. It is all over my body from my neck to my ankles. It very much appears to be hives with one difference being that the goosebump textured rash on my arms seems permanent rather than intermittent. A trip to urgent care two days ago resulted in a steroid shot and a twice daily cocktail of oral antihistamines. Completely ineffective.

I have not introduced any new foods, nor have I increased the amounts of the foods that I eat. As an avid CrossFitter, I have been transitioning to a primal eating style for several months now. My goal for the Whole 30 (aside from moral support to my fibromyalgia suffering, grains-dairy-beer-cupcake addicted husband) is to wean myself from Weekly Cheat Day, random snacking, Splenda, and pack-a-day sugarless gum chewing. So this is what I have done and I can't really wrap my head around the idea that I have some condition that the junk food was protecting me from.

The ironic thing is that I am doing great otherwise. I experienced tiredness and mental fog for a few days but I have since hit two lifting PR's. I am less stiff and can feel some overuse injuries healing. I haven't been nodding off in the afternoon in spite of the sleep I have lost this week because of the discomfort. Most miraculous is my facial skin. I spent a year in Afghanistan and became afflicted with asphyxiated skin from the sun damage. It took a series of medical grade peels, prescription retinol, and regular deep exfoliation to get it under control. Then last week, my face was suddenly clear, smooth, and dewy. I can actually go without makeup! I wonder how great I would feel if I wasn't a big pile of itch?

I have perused the forum and it seems that I am not the only one suffering (and I mean reeeeeally suffering) from a mystery rash. There have been mentions of rash from ketosis. The thing is, I have done intermittent fasting, carb cycling, and full on low carb (albeit with artificial sweeteners and processed reduced carb fare) with no side effects. With my side of fresh berries and my post workout sweet potato or pumpkin each day, the Whole 30 is much less restrictive on carbs than other diets I have tried. People have also mentioned something called candida die off, but that seems far fetched. I have had yeast problems before and they are years in the past, along with yeast-friendly eating. Emotional stress? Life is demanding, but I wouldn't say my stress has gone up. In fact, I'm feeling quite positive. My husband and I are enjoying the time we spend sourcing local foods, preparing our meals, and sharing peaceful suppers. Furthermore, feeding primal foods to our son is really improving his behavior. So far, none of the conventional ideas are making any sense.

Is there anyone at all who knows something or can help? I am truly desperate. I have hardly slept in days, I can't focus on anything, and I am constantly clawing at myself. I would seriously consider cutting off a finger if it would make this go away. Please help!

The skin is an elimination organ, a pathway for detoxification - perhaps the Splenda and pack a day of gum are exiting your body in a less than peaceful way?

Doesn't seem to fit well. I would chew up to a pack a day of Orbit but there were plenty of times that I would run out of it (or leave home without it) and have none. I also started drinking my coffee bulletproof right after Easter which just about eliminated the Splenda long before this. It seems unlikely that the difference is significant enough for such an excessive response. I am lactose intolerant and prone to carb bloat/carb coma but other than that I have no history of allergic response to any food or drug.

I'm skipping work tomorrow and taking the long drive to walk in to my primary care doc. Or rather I'm going to have my husband drive me just in case I get dosed with something serious. I'll report back if I get any useful information. In the meantime, I would still welcome information from anyone else that might be useful to discuss with my doctor.

The doctor today couldn't actually identify the rash but seemed to think that it is contact dermatitis. He also said that, under the circumstances it is unlikely that we will figure out exactly what I "got into." He insisted on the prednisone taper and also prescribed hydroxyzine to cool the itch. I was so grateful that I could have kissed him because the OTC stuff that the other doctor put me on was useless. Because it is so sedative, I have only taken half a pill so far but (knock on wood) the edge seems to have come off of the intensity. I'll be taking a full pill along with the prednisone at bedtime and I am cautiously hopeful that I will actually get some sleep tonight. Praying and praying that I will be better when I wake up. 19 1/2 hours of labor was way less torture than this has been.

Thanks for your concern. Please send me some happy, non-itchy thoughts. I'd love to be able to fully experience the other benefits we are seeing from Whole 30. Such as that yesterday my husband woke up pain free for the first time in six years!

Stephanie, how are you doing? My husband had contact dermatitis one summer. We blamed everything and eventually narrowed it down to our dog!!! Now, he wears pants year-round and things are fine.

I became sick during my W30 and blamed it on the program. Waited until about day 32 to find out it was not food-related.

Anyway, I hope your skin doesn't encounter whatever bothered it anymore and that you are doing much better now.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear you're finding some relief!  I've just become aware of something called histamine intolerance, which can cause skin-related allergy symptoms.  Here's the link to the article (and shopping list) we've recently created addressing it (in case it may be useful for you) :)

http://whole9life.com/2013/06/expanded-iswf-shopping-lists/

I'd look into your laundry detergents, softeners, etc. if the doc says contact dermatitis. Did you switch brands on any of those? What about a new lotion or sunscreen? I get an itchy rash that looks like red goosebumps from the Banana Boat sensitive skin sunblock (go figure) that I discovered on my trip to Greece two weekends ago. I get the same from a kukui nut skin butter lotion that I tried. As someone with super sensitive skin (seriously, I get rashes almost monthly, but they go away in a day or so), distrust everything that has touched your skin, including your laundry stuff.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been on the Whole 30 for about 20 days now.  Last Saturday, I broke out into a horrible rash on my arms and lower legs. At first , the doctor thought it was an allergy to the sun but then thought it might be a reaction to food or a chemical that I came in contact with.  Upon starting the Whole 30, I transitioned from milk to coconut milk in my coffee and had also been eating a lot of salmon so I was concerned that the allergy had something to do with either of those.  I have since eliminated coconut milk and salmon from my diet.  I am on a steroid cream right now and my rash is gradually going away on my arms by not really on my legs.  It is very aggravating.  I have a feeling it is related to the coconut.  Last night, I accidentally, put some coconut aminos in something and began to itch shortly after I ate it.  Could it be possible that coconut products could create such a terrible rash?  I've never had an experience like this before in my life.  I find it hard to believe that my body is detoxing and feel that this is definitely an allergic reaction of shorts.  

• Moderators

I find it hard to believe that my body is detoxing and feel that this is definitely an allergic reaction of shorts.  

I don't think your rash has anything to do with detoxing. It is probably an allergic reaction and coconut sounds like a good suspect.

• 3 months later...

I just went through this myself....horrible eczema type rash on my lower legs, plus some general water retention, also in my legs. I noticed a slight reaction on my first Whole30 last year but not as as severe. I had let dairy products back into my life but recently decided I couldn't deal with the post nasal drip and morning "smokers cough" they gave me. So I went out and bought lots of coconut milk, coconut creamer, etc.

Dropped it two days ago and even the first day was WAY better. It is very disappointing but maybe I can sub almond milk in cooking. I do not seem to have a problem with the oil, just the milk and coconut meat (maybe? Haven't confimed that but assume it would be true). Web searches make it seem like coconut allergy is rare.

I have had hives on the bottom half of my legs for some time now. It was getting way better. On day 3 I had 3/4 of a can of full fat coconut milk and a heaping handful and a half of shredded coconut (I also cooked everything that day in coconut oil per usual) and that night the hives were back with a vengeance. Yesterday I avoided coconut anything and am down to just a handful of hives today, which is day 5. I really hope it's not coconut :( But thinking back it seems this always seemed worse when I binged on coconut butter and full fat coconut milk.

Edited to add: I spoke too soon. More hives and rashy spots have shown up this afternoon. The left over veggies I had at lunch MAY have been cooked in coconut oil; I can't recall.

Archived