Day 16: Where's my Tiger Blood?!

Hi all,

I've done quite a bit of long-term juice fasting (14-30 days) in the past, and always feel amazing after the first few days. I have more energy and strength as the days go on. The cravings, however, can get pretty bad. I'm now on day 16 of my first Whole30. Oddly, I have not had one single craving since starting this program (I'm assuming because being able to eat anything at all during a cleanse is such a novelty), BUT my legs have been weak, I've been fighting to get out of bed in the morning, and I'm starting to drag in the middle of the day. None of this is like me at all. Pre-Whole30 I was always bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 5:30 a.m. I've upped my sweet potato and squash intake, but it hasn't helped much. Any other suggestion? For reference, here's what I've eaten the past two days:

Yesterday:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, half a sweet potato, half an avocado

Lunch: beef and broccoli

Dinner: grilled chicken, sauteed mixed greens, more watermelon than the law allows (it was a holiday and, for the record, I didn't even look twice at the homemade strawberry shortcake or the deep fried Oreos even the health nuts were raving about)

Today:

Breakfast: 3-egg, spinach and tomato fritatta, banana

Lunch: spinach and artichoke salad, apple

Dinner: salmon cakes, whole sweet potato

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Maybe tiger blood isn't in my future, but I'd like to at least go back to feeling normal.

Thank you!

Fat, fat and fat! It looks like your lunch and dinner yesterday were missing it, and your meals today don't appear to include any fat sources at all... I never go by solely relying on whatever fat I cook my meal in. Overall you may not be eating enough also. And always err on the side of "too many" vegetables (although I don't think that's possible). Make sure you're getting enough protein and fat, then just pile the crap out of your plate with veggies. :) It'll happen for you! Try journaling your food for a few days along with how you're feeling each day to catch any trends (had lunch of spinach & artichoke salad and an apple, tired all afternoon --- no fat!)

Good luck :rolleyes:

Plus, there is no protein in the spinach and artichoke salad, but you did have the apple (sugar boost). A lunch with sugar and without protein is a recipe for a late afternoon slump for sure.

The template is key.

That said, a lot of people don't feel tiger blood at 16 days. Many don't feel great till the end.

Day 19 and no 'Tiger Blood' either. I'm starting to wonder if it is just a state that a rare few ever get to.

Dont get me wrong, Whole30 is a wonderful reset and a great way to begin a Paleo way of eating - but I am not seeing any 'amazing' results so far and I don't really expect to.

I think unless you were eating a cruddy diet to begin with or you had eaten yourself into some major illnesses; you just shouldn't expect any 'wowza' results. That's okay though, I'm very happy to have found something that is healthier and will give me 'good' results (& If I'm wrong and Tiger Blood zaps me on day 30 - then that's a bonus! :) )

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it. I'm not sick or stressed or anything that would cause sudden fatigue. For the first time since I can remember I'm getting more than 5-6 hours of sleep a night (huge thumbs up for that; if only my good night's sleep wasn't followed by an hour trying to pry myself from my bed). I think I'm getting enough fat (there was about 1/4 cup of cashews in the artichoke spinach dip, and the salmon cakes were topped with guac). I think CRCBN might be right: with the exception of being overweight, I am very healthy and always feel (well, felt) great. Maybe I've been living with tiger's blood all along. Anyway, thanks again!

• 2 years later...

I don't think Tiger Blood shows up until you reach the fat adapted status.  It's rarely talked about anymore but I think it's because of remaining a sugar burner for 30 days  vs. a fat burner.

Fat burners find Tiger Blood.   Those that lean on dried fruits, fruit and nut bars, more than 2 fruits aday, nut butters, coconut cream with fruit...have a harder time reaching the fat adapted status. Without fat adaptation, I believe Tiger Blood status is difficult.

After 30 days...moving in and out of budgeted weekend splurges and trying to find Tiger Blood - Monday through Friday is an imaginary activity. 

On the contrary, I think the Tiger Blood is easier to feel if you came into the Whole30 "relatively healthy" and feeling "pretty good." Because then the TB makes you feel

ABSOLUTELYFABULOUS

ICOULDCONQUERTHEUNIVERSE

HOWAMISUPPOSEDTOMAKEMYSELFSITSTILL

but that's just my thinking.

Archived