Whole30 JUNE GROUP (:

Mrsfrosty

post-24563-0-07349600-1370186997_thumb.j

My struggle right now is not sugar cravings, but instead keeping ready-to-eat proteins in the refrigerator for when I don't have a lot of time to cook. I've only been back to work for 3 weeks, and am still adjusting to no longer having hours and hours to plan and prepare meals.

PamH, I always try to keep quick proteins on hand, so here are a few suggestions that may help.

Boiled eggs are easy and keep for a week or so in the fridge. I boil a dozen at a time and try to add them to my meals when I can't cook meat. One egg has 10 grams of protein, so it's a great way to keep blood sugars stabilized and give you a boost of nutrition.

Another quick source of protein that I keep in my freezer are little turkey meatloaf muffins. You can find the recipe here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm

I make these up WITHOUT the oats and then freeze them. That is the only illegal ingredient for the Whole30 challenge. They are very tasty and are great when you're in a hurry. I brought these on our hikes in Colorado last year and found that they had thawed just in time for lunch!

Yesterday I had almond butter with an apple in the afternoon, and that was PERFECT for stabilizing my blood sugars. The apple filled me up and the protein kept my blood sugars from spiking. It was just the right amount to keep me content until dinner last night.

I hope this helps you out!

~Michelle

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PamH, I always try to keep quick proteins on hand, so here are a few suggestions that may help.

Boiled eggs are easy and keep for a week or so in the fridge. I boil a dozen at a time and try to add them to my meals when I can't cook meat. One egg has 10 grams of protein, so it's a great way to keep blood sugars stabilized and give you a boost of nutrition.

Another quick source of protein that I keep in my freezer are little turkey meatloaf muffins. You can find the recipe here: http://www.bodybuild...oaf-muffins.htm

I make these up WITHOUT the oats and then freeze them. That is the only illegal ingredient for the Whole30 challenge. They are very tasty and are great when you're in a hurry. I brought these on our hikes in Colorado last year and found that they had thawed just in time for lunch!

Yesterday I had almond butter with an apple in the afternoon, and that was PERFECT for stabilizing my blood sugars. The apple filled me up and the protein kept my blood sugars from spiking. It was just the right amount to keep me content until dinner last night.

I hope this helps you out!

~Michelle

I will definitely make some type of meatball for quickie protein! Eggs just don't seem to fill me up for some reason but I have a bunch I am going to boil for taking to work with me as snacks. I am also avoiding nut butters because I will binge on them. :(

Thanks!

I just realized that my calms has Stevia in it, so on day 18, I am starting over.

I Don't feel that it was my choice, just my ignorance.

It's my fault I didn't read labels.

What I am not doing is bingeing because of a mistake. I thought I would do 45 days anyway, so I am continuing this journey with this bump.

This time, I'll be part of a team!

It's a learning process, which always has bumps in the road, and you are handling it beautifully! Great decision to look after yourself, instead of beating yourself up over something you didn't know! I love your commitment to look after yourself!

Hey all, day 2 is definitely rougher than day 1 did. I am craving everything!!!! Even stuff I wouldn't normally eat. Trying to keep my self distracted, it doesn't help that I had a hard time sleeping last night as well so am grumpy and un-focused. Please tell me it gets easier, I was so gung-ho and excited but now I would sell my right foot for a ham sandwich.

Sorry I just needed to vent for a second to people who understand, the hubinator has no idea what I am going through atm. I hope everyone is doing well and I know things will look up over the next few days, just a lot of changes at once!

Keeping smiling though!!!!

-Liz

It does get easier! If you haven't been eating even close to this before, yes, it's a huge adjustment; physical, psychological and emotional. There will be bumps, but you can do this! You deserve it!

This morning I fried up a whole bunch of green onions and some garlic in refined coconut oil (DH doesn't like extra virgin), added baby spinach and tossed, then cracked 4 eggs in the quarters of the pan and sprinkled garlic salt over. Lid on for 15 minutes and we had a wonderful breakfast skillet (thanks to whoever I read that blog from, I will be using this one all the time with different veggies). Paired it with a small fruit salad with blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and a fresh orange squeezed over all with pulp scraped over hte salad, and I had breakfast heaven. I actually only ate 1/2 of the skillet, DH ate the other half - I could have eaten the whole thing!

Hello everyone, I am in - I actually started yesterday but didn't find this site until now. I have been 'semi-paleo' for a couple of weeks and have had good success so far. Yesterday I was driving to the bike trail to meet my sister for a walk and made a commitment to myself to go a full 30 days paleo - this solidifies it!! I have downloaded quite a few cookbooks over the past couple of weeks and have done tons of research. I have mostly avoided processed foods and sugary drinks for many years so that is not an adjustment for me - I think I am still trying to wrap my head around the whole 'eat fat lose fat' concept. I know it makes sense, my brain is just resistant right now :) Yesterday I made an amazing pork shoulder in the crockpot and today I am going to be making fresh mayo for the first time ever. My husband won't 'go paleo' with me since he can't give up his grains but I will not falter! I have autoimmune issues and inflammation and am looking forward to feeling and sleeping better! congrats to all on a successful first day!

Hello everyone, I am in - I actually started yesterday but didn't find this site until now. I have been 'semi-paleo' for a couple of weeks and have had good success so far. Yesterday I was driving to the bike trail to meet my sister for a walk and made a commitment to myself to go a full 30 days paleo - this solidifies it!! I have downloaded quite a few cookbooks over the past couple of weeks and have done tons of research. I have mostly avoided processed foods and sugary drinks for many years so that is not an adjustment for me - I think I am still trying to wrap my head around the whole 'eat fat lose fat' concept. I know it makes sense, my brain is just resistant right now :) Yesterday I made an amazing pork shoulder in the crockpot and today I am going to be making fresh mayo for the first time ever. My husband won't 'go paleo' with me since he can't give up his grains but I will not falter! I have autoimmune issues and inflammation and am looking forward to feeling and sleeping better! congrats to all on a successful first day!

Buttercup: are you going 30 full days of Whole30 or 30 days of 100% Paleo?

Eat fat to lose fat REALLY threw me. I tell you, it works! For me, it works by satiating me so I don't eat all day.

Good luck to you! If you loved the pork shoulder, try Mark's Daily Apple crispy carnitas:

http://www.marksdail.../#axzz2V5RvrScd

Use butter lettuce or bibb lettuce for an awesome wrap that even your husband will enjoy! Top with Whole30 appropriate salsa and some chopped avocado for an awesome meal. Only problem with this dish is I pick and pick at it until it is gone. I find I eat a lot less of the carnitas if I leave the majority of the fat on the meat prior to cooking.

My husband won't go Paleo, either, because his family has a history of heart disease and he is on a statin drug already at age 47 (preventative; crazy!). He is an MD, and they seem to be the most stubborn to change! They are waiting for conventional medicine to tell them that coconut oil and grass fed meats are good for you before they actually believe it and adopt it, I guess.

HEYYYOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

How are the June 1st-ers doing today!??!? How are you feeling?? This is my 2nd W30 and I am still super pumped!! We are 2 days down (almost)... WOOHOO!!!!!!

I signed up for the daily emails-- did anyone else? I didn't do that my first W30 and if you haven't, and this is your first, I completely recommend it!! TALK ABOUT INFO IN AN EMAIL!!!!! Stuff I may have missed from reading ISWF or trying new things since my first W30... it's amazing!

Alright, let's keep at it! Hope everyone has a fantastic afternoon- SUNDAY FUNDAY!! :)

Cheers!

LP

Hello all! Wow...lots of great posts here....got home from an appointment with a client and saw that there were several pages of posts that I needed to get caught up on! Too many for me to repsond individually, so thanks for everyone's ideas, suggestions and feedback. So, for a newbie to Whole30 AND to Paleo...this has been my expereince thus far 1 1/2 days into it:

Day 1 - I already posted my meals yesterday. They were all good...learning how to cook (believe it or not)...so it takes me longer than most people to gather ingredients and follow a recipe...which is why as a newbie cook, I need to stick with the simple, basic ones (: It's a huge change for me to go a full day with NO type of processed food...not even multigrain pita chips from Trader Joe's! Also, I normally have snacks throughout the day, so stickly strictly with 3 meals was interesting...freeing in a way....fewer meals to think about/plan for. I do miss my crystal light and MIO and Starbucks Frappacinos....but managed to drink "just" water all day yesterday...but in the evening decided to add some lime juice and lemon juice and ice...and it was satisfying. I need to go get some Pellegrino or something for a change. I didn't feel any mahor cravings all day EXCEPT after dinner when I would normally be in the kitchen looking for "something". I distracted myself and did other things. The other HUGE adjustment for me yesterday was weighing myself and then giving the scale to my hubby...not to be stepped on again until July 1. Since I normally weigh DAILY, this is tough. I walked into the bathroom several times yesterday and looked down at the spot where the scale "normally" lives....looking forward to breaking that obsession/cycle with the scale and a "number". Speaking of numbers, I asked hubby to take before pic for me (ick) and I took my measurements (double ick)...but I told myself I am getting healthier...from the inside out....and that eventually I will "release" the excess weight, fat and inches. Slept well last night. Felt pretty good overall. Did not work out, but cooked and ran errands.

Day 2 - Today I had to get up early to eat and then meet a client...I had kale/chive egg muffins, avocado, strawberries/blueberries and coffee with coconut milk. After client, got home and was hungry for lunch..plus slight headache. Drank water with lime/lemon juice...had a burger with avocado, a HUGE serving of broccoli with ghee (my first time trying ghee...tasted like butter to me!), and some sliced mango. I'm stuffed, and headache still pounding...so will go rest for 30 min or so..then making a crock pot recipe (never used my crock pot...in 14 years!.....Paleo Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken...will throw it all in and see what happens...intended dinner tonight. Hubby is NOT doing this with me, but he's going to try tonight's dinner. He liked the Thai chicken/veg curry the other night. He's VERY picky and hates veggies...I'll have to lead by example!

OK, again, thanks for the great posts...will check in later.

Kelly

I am really excited for all of you. I completed my first whole 30 at the beginning of the year I actually probably on whole 5months now. I have tried a few things off whole 30 and did not like how I felt!! I am a mother of 8, a current ww(weight watchers) member. I just want all you ww members to know that I really felt like I was cheating on the program. I had no food cravings and was never hungry. the only reason I am currently still going to ww is because I have paid them so much money over the years and I am only 7 lbs from goal and really want to be a life time member!!! but I do not track or weigh, or nothing and continue to lose weight. I have to say I think the whole 30 way of eating has changed my life. I think you guys will be very successful. and I hope you all have amazing results. I am going to continue to check into your blog because it also keeps me on track. also I found the daily emails super helpful with my 2nd whole 30 loved the book couldn't have did the first one with out it. stay on track! this is an amazing way to eat. think of it as a lifestyle change.

Just wanted to weigh in on a couple of discussions in this thread...

Salt: I have seen in several places that table salt is fine. I have never heard of it containing sugar before...? Tom has a good reply in this thread: http://forum.whole9l...pic/10290-salt/

Coffee/Caffeine: Coffee is definitely OK on Whole30! Phew, I don't think I'd be doing it if it wasn't. It's all the stuff you put in the coffee that is to be avoided. :) I switched to drinking black coffee a week or two before we started so that I'd be used to it, and I find it's totally fine; I just need to make sure I'm buying beans that suit my tastes (light roast and not too bitter).

Also, for any of you who haven't read the book yet and have no plans to do so? READ IT. Buy it or get it from the library. But DO read it. It's a really easy read, and it's super helpful at explaining all the questions we all have. You may find yourself questionless after you read it! :lol: My hubby is about halfway through it right now and keeps finding answers to all the things he has been asking me since I read it and since we decided to do a Whole30.

HEYYYOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

How are the June 1st-ers doing today!??!? How are you feeling?? This is my 2nd W30 and I am still super pumped!! We are 2 days down (almost)... WOOHOO!!!!!!

I signed up for the daily emails-- did anyone else? I didn't do that my first W30 and if you haven't, and this is your first, I completely recommend it!! TALK ABOUT INFO IN AN EMAIL!!!!! Stuff I may have missed from reading ISWF or trying new things since my first W30... it's amazing!

Alright, let's keep at it! Hope everyone has a fantastic afternoon- SUNDAY FUNDAY!!

Cheers!

LP

I totally agree about the emails, and i love the victory videos when you check that you are banking another whole 30 day!

Today is day 1 again, and hubby and I made sausage, egg monster, breakfast meat, avocado chicken dish, and we have compliant soups thawing for supper.

We are going away for several days this week, and we have a hotel with a kitchen. We have food to take with us, and plans. We have also located the whole foods close to the hotel! We may allow some specials, like fruit with coconut milk, to feel like we are not missing out. After 19 days, i feel fantastic, and i don't want to jeopardize this 30 day plan. I am working hard to slay the sugar demon,.so I am not allowing myself treats. Also, I am working on the premise that i don't need to eat every two hours, and it is working. My blood sugars are stable! Three meals a day and no snacks. Eat enough protein and fat and i don't get hungry. I did lose 10 pounds in the first 18 days. I weighed in because of day 1 again.

The first week is the hardest folks. The body is fighting back. And healing is work, so is detox. Drink water water water to help flush things out, and if you feel weak, get a spoonful of coconut oil. It helps your body see fat as fuel.

By day 15 you will feel very different, if you eat differently!

If you need a cookbook...get"well fed"

Easy, and i will make every recipe in it! I have never said that before! Usually my cook books have bookmarks for the few recipes in them that I use.

I am leaving this book on the kitchen counter!

got it a couple days ago and about to dive in!

Salt: I have seen in several places that table salt is fine. I have never heard of it containing sugar before...? Tom has a good reply in this thread: http://forum.whole9l...pic/10290-salt/

Coffee/Caffeine: Coffee is definitely OK on Whole30! Phew, I don't think I'd be doing it if it wasn't. It's all the stuff you put in the coffee that is to be avoided. I switched to drinking black coffee a week or two before we started so that I'd be used to it, and I find it's totally fine; I just need to make sure I'm buying beans that suit my tastes (light roast and not too bitter).

Also, for any of you who haven't read the book yet and have no plans to do so? READ IT. Buy it or get it from the library. But DO read it. It's a really easy read, and it's super helpful at explaining all the questions we all have. You may find yourself questionless after you read it! My hubby is about halfway through it right now and keeps finding answers to all the things he has been asking me since I read it and since we decided to do a Whole30.

Thanks for the info.....head still pounding...just put the chicken in the crock pot...my first time in 14 years using one! Hope it turns out good...will see in 5 hours (:

Guest Srptskrts

Coffee/Caffeine: Coffee is definitely OK on Whole30! Phew, I don't think I'd be doing it if it wasn't. It's all the stuff you put in the coffee that is to be avoided. :) I switched to drinking black coffee a week or two before we started so that I'd be used to it, and I find it's totally fine; I just need to make sure I'm buying beans that suit my tastes (light roast and not too bitter).

Also, for any of you who haven't read the book yet and have no plans to do so? READ IT. Buy it or get it from the library. But DO read it. It's a really easy read, and it's super helpful at explaining all the questions we all have. You may find yourself questionless after you read it! :lol: My hubby is about halfway through it right now and keeps finding answers to all the things he has been asking me since I read it and since we decided to do a Whole30.

Hello Malie,

Morton iodized table salt here has added dextrose...not Whole30 compliant.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/faqs/food-salt-faqs

It is minimal, but still...sugar=sugar=sugar to link another Whole9 post:

http://whole9life.com/2010/06/sugar-sugar-sugar/

Take care

I am not using a cookbook yet. Trying to fit this into my normal menu plan. But I hate plain meat. Found that hot sauce doesn't have any bad items - so that will become my go to condiment. Also, I made ghee and LOVE it. I won't miss butter at all.

For now I have only had water - but may look at getting tea tonight. I am sure I am going through caffeine withdrawals as well as sugar.

I have been able to stay compliant, but it sounds like I may be eating more food than some of you. Plus nothing exotic for this southern girl.

Brunch yesterday - Hamburger patties and a salad.

Dinner yesterday - Pork roast in the crockpot and sweet potatoes with ghee

Snacks - Fruit from the farmers market.

Brunch today - hamburger patties and leftover sweet potatoes

Happy that I've stayed on track!!!

Took a looooong nap and drank lots of water, got up ready to re-attack! Cooked up a bunch of protien, prepped veggies, and made a few sauces. Dinner was satisfying:

Grass fed steak with garlic powder, paprika, s&p grilled

Brussels and cubed sweet potato, coated in coconut oil and roasted with nutmeg and a squeeze of lemon

Green beans (mostly for the hubs) with prociutto and lemon zest.

Excited for breakfast tomorrow, attempting the ground pork and apple suggestion in ISWF, but adding in butternut and brussels (I could eat brussels at every meal). Feeling more motivated and happy that the weekend is over, I think I'll have an easier time of it when my regular schedule is present. I will have also made it to day 3 with no cigarettes!

Very much enjoying reading everyone's posts! Keep up the good work folks!

I am really excited for all of you. I completed my first whole 30 at the beginning of the year I actually probably on whole 5months now. I have tried a few things off whole 30 and did not like how I felt!! I am a mother of 8, a current ww(weight watchers) member. I just want all you ww members to know that I really felt like I was cheating on the program. I had no food cravings and was never hungry. the only reason I am currently still going to ww is because I have paid them so much money over the years and I am only 7 lbs from goal and really want to be a life time member!!! but I do not track or weigh, or nothing and continue to lose weight. I have to say I think the whole 30 way of eating has changed my life. I think you guys will be very successful. and I hope you all have amazing results. I am going to continue to check into your blog because it also keeps me on track. also I found the daily emails super helpful with my 2nd whole 30 loved the book couldn't have did the first one with out it. stay on track! this is an amazing way to eat. think of it as a lifestyle change.

I am also a WW member, reached Lifetime back in my 20s (30 years ago), maintained for years, but several life changes allowed weight to creep back in. I have been back following the plan but didn't see any change plus I felt terrible. So I found out about Whole 30 and started 6 days ago. I already feel better but am fighting to not step on the scale to see if there is any change in numbers.

Hi, I'm Linda and I hope no one minds my jumping in/on here, too. I actually started my Whole30 on May 25. I've tried countless times and the longest I've lasted in 20 days before I succumb to my sugar demon. Ice cream is my biggest nemesis!

So far I've been doing pretty well, looking forward to hitting double digits, LOL. A bit discouraged because I'm still a little tired and a little bloaty, but some of that might be due to some supplements I've been playing with for my joints. Have resisted two big ice cream cravings, which I'm very happy about. Looking forward to boundless energy and tiger blood!

I've decided to see these 30 days - and possibly more - as a "reset," but I plan to keep following the general Whole30 plan with the occasional "holiday." It's helped me to have peace about this whole thing instead of thinking I'm depriving myself for 30 days and then going back to my old diet.

Looking forward to reading everyone else's posts in the group!

Linda

Archived