Coconut oil vs ghee

missmatie

I'm 4 days into my whole 30 and it's going well.

I had previously replaced most cooking fat in my daily cooking with coconut oil but picked up some ghee because it was on the list of 'ok to eat.' I'm curious about whether it is a healthier choice to continue to primarily use coconut oil or if the added/different flavor of ghee is an ok swap?

I also picked up some avocado oil and love the light flavor. Would it work in mayonnaise?

Thanks so much!

Avocado oil is awesome for mayo! 

As for the other questions, I feel coconut oil to be a bit superior nutrition-wise. Ghee made from butter from grass-fed cows is way better than regular butter and has lots of fat-soluable nutrients in it, but coconut oil is about 2/3 Medium Chain Triglicerides (MCT) which are an awesome fuel. Your body is actually incapable of storing them as fat and burns them for energy. I have started melting 2 tbs. of coconut oil into my coffee in the morning and using a stick blender on it to make it frothy and almost instantly I feel perky and energetic. It's really amazing. Also, coconut oil is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. I rub it on my feet daily to help with athletes foot and psoriasis, and I also make a home-made toothpaste with it. It's great for oil pulling and has a myriad other health benefits.

That said, I just can't stand the taste of coconut oil with certain foods, so to cook those, I use grass-fed ghee or butter.

I do both coconut and ghee, and have discovered that a sprinkle or so of salt calms the coconut flavor. I second you on the avocado oil! Picked up a bottle at my last run through Costco and it has become my go to oil for salad dressing and for roasting veggies lately. Love it! I haven't tried it in mayo though, because I have read here on the site that it can be strong in mayo. 

I haven't found a good use of avocado oil yet. Tried 1/4 c in mayo combined with 1 c light olive oil: didn't like the taste: too intense. Tried on salad: yuck. And I love avocados!!  Maybe I'll try roasting veggies with it next.

And I love both coconut oil and ghee/clarified butter.

• 4 weeks later...

I made mayo with avocado oil yesterday and liked the taste. It's very different than what you are probably accustomed to in the jarred stuff (I'm a Hellmann's lover normally). You have to remember to season it with a bit of salt. This is a quick and easy method for mayo: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-homemade-mayo-in-2-minutes-or-le.html

I made mayo with avocado oil yesterday and liked the taste. It's very different than what you are probably accustomed to in the jarred stuff (I'm a Hellmann's lover normally). You have to remember to season it with a bit of salt. This is a quick and easy method for mayo: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-homemade-mayo-in-2-minutes-or-le.html

My first batch of mayo was made with avo oil...if I wasn't such a stickler for not wasting food, it would have been binned!! I thought the taste was horrid, love my olive oil mayo so much more!

I've just discovered the delight that is cauliflower rice cooked in ghee. Yummy!

try that as a base for a kedgeree with smoked haddock and hard boiled eggs and more ghee to stir through as you serve it. A great British/Indian Raj dish :)

Archived