Please help! Day 21, no positive impacts at all! Losing hope....

akayl

Hi everyone,

Would really appreciate some feedback. My whole 30 is not going as positively as I had hoped. (or positively at all, to be honest) Background: 36yo female, my first Whole 30, doing as part of a challenge at my Crossfit Gym. Bought the emails, read the book, I'm all in. I don't have any major underlying health issues, but I am 25 pounds overweight, and I have also had some minor issues with acne and occassional GI issues that I was hoping the whole 30 would help me identify the culprit causing both. As far as I can understand, I've been following the program to a T. Been eating 3 meals a day - protein, lots of veggies, serving of fat - but after 14 days of struggling with lethargy I read some forum posts and the general consensus was to eat more, so I added a pre-wo meal of a compliant Lara bar and a hard boiled egg on the 5 days/week I workout. (No post-wo meal b/c I workout in the mornings so I eat Meal 1 immediately after.) That has helped with my lethargy and I definitely am back to normal levels of energy, but after 21 days my acne is actually worse, my GI issues are now constant instead of occassional, and - while following protocol I haven't weighed or measured myself - I can tell my pants are definitely not any looser and, if anything, may be a bit tighter. Soooo below is a summary of my food log for the past couple days. Only thing I can figure is that I'm eating too much fat or too much red meat. I really can't say anything at all positive about the whole 30 plan, and I don't want to end up my month this way! I haven't had any sugar in the month, which has always been my vice, but I still want it (my addiction is as an emotional crutch more than a physical one) Would love advice! Thanks in advance!!

Monday

M1

3 egg scramble with loads of veggies (spinach, onion, bell peppers, etc) and ~1/3 C guacalmole

M2

1/3 Lb hamburger (85/15 - only type I can get grass fed)

1/2 head cauliflower sauteed in coconut oil, capers, onions, spices, etc.

Small closed handful almonds

M3: 6 oz steamed salmon

1/2 avocado

giant spinach/arugula salad w/ balsalmic vinegar

small amount slivered almonds & dried cranberries

Tuesday

Pre-WR

compliant Lara bar

one hard-boiled egg

M1

sweet potato hash (from ISWF, with ground pork)

M2

1/4 lb hamburger

1/2 avocado

plateful of steamed veggies

M3

6 oz sirloin steak

bell pepper with ~1/4C sunshine sauce (if not familiar, used as my fat b/c mostly sunflower seed butter & coconut milk)

• Moderators

There are several things that you can do that will probably improve things. 1) Eliminate all Lara bars. They are allowed only as emergency food and are a terrible pre-workout meal. Eat two boiled eggs before if you miss the Lara bars. 2) Eliminate all nuts. Many people find they are hard on their digestion and skin. And, nuts are high in fat. 3) I can see that you are eating some starchy veggies like sweet potato, but doing CrossFit five times per week is extremely demanding. You probably need to eat starchy veggies every day. 4) You would probably do better dropping your workouts from 5 to 4. 

You are definitely not eating too much red meat and your fat intake is fine. You did not mention how much water you are drinking, but that can be important. You need 1/2 to 1 ounce per pound of body weight per day. I weigh 190, so I drink roughly 1.5 gallons of water per day. 

Thanks Tom. I'm drinking a lot of water - minimum 64 oz/day but generally closer to 80 oz, which gets me to 1/2 oz per lb. I'll work to drink more. I'll also cut down on the Lara bars and watch the nuts, but truthfully these two days aren't a good reflection of that b/c I haven't been having nuts of any sort more than 1 to 2 days/week max. I can add more starchy veggies, but my energy for workouts and the rest of the day have been fine since I added the pre-wo meal, and I'm gaining inches not losing - any idea why or what I can do? I know this isn't meant to be a "diet" but truth be told I was certainly hoping to lose a few lbs and given I'm already 20+ pounds overweight, gaining is certainly not what I need...

• Moderators

Some people go 4-6 weeks before they start losing weight when they need to lose weight. And you could be adding muscle by eating good and training the way you are. In fact, if you are not gaining muscle, you should probably get your money back from CrossFit! :)

I have noticed a consistent pattern with my whole30's... first week lose some weight by that I mean I feel visibly slimmer especially around my tummy. Week 2 no real change, Week 3 bloating and fluid retention. Day22-25 major sugar cravings and a tendency to overeat, the rest of week 4 and 5, lose the bloating, lose some fat, gain some muscle, gain energy, sleep better and finally feel better.

So don't lose hope... notice I included week 5, I seem to need 35 days to reap the benefits and recover from day 22-25 in particular

I have noticed a consistent pattern with my whole30's... first week lose some weight by that I mean I feel visibly slimmer especially around my tummy. Week 2 no real change, Week 3 bloating and fluid retention. Day22-25 major sugar cravings and a tendency to overeat, the rest of week 4 and 5, lose the bloating, lose some fat, gain some muscle, gain energy, sleep better and finally feel better.

So don't lose hope... notice I included week 5, I seem to need 35 days to reap the benefits and recover from day 22-25 in particular

This is sooo helpful, Juzbo. Thanks. It's really good to know. I clicked on this thread because I'm in the same boat as akayl, getting on into my third week and suddenly not feeling changes/ things seem to be getting worse. This pattern that you've outlined is uncannily similar to my experience! 

Akayl: I don't know anything about anything but I do know that in terms of skin issues, they can take a really long time to resolve and also tend to be a get worse before they get better thing. Anyone I know who has undergone hormonal shifts in ordert o change their skin experienced and increase in the intensity of their acne before improvement. My theory: If your messing with your hormones and toxins on the w30--which you are, by shifting food patterns--then your skin may be in a purging/ detoxing mode, which unfortunately may look worse/be painful, for a while before it gets better. My advice: do anything you can to help it along in the detox, steam, ph balancing, charcoal masks, gentle things like that. Sleep, water, routine and self care are the obvious calmers that I'm sure you already know about. Good luck!

Maybe it's just a "thing", because I'm feeling the same... On a positive note, I haven't had ANY cravings... but I'm just all around not "feeling it"... I'm still tired, sometimes grumpy, constipated, my cellulite looks the worst ever and feeling fluffy and soft... I was so tempted to jump on the scale this morning, but didn't. But I'm just feeling really negative and like I'm undoing all my hard work somehow. Sorry for the whining, but I'm soooo frustrated. It's Day 21 for me. 

Maybe it's just a "thing", because I'm feeling the same... On a positive note, I haven't had ANY cravings... but I'm just all around not "feeling it"... I'm still tired, sometimes grumpy, constipated, my cellulite looks the worst ever and feeling fluffy and soft... I was so tempted to jump on the scale this morning, but didn't. But I'm just feeling really negative and like I'm undoing all my hard work somehow. Sorry for the whining, but I'm soooo frustrated. It's Day 21 for me.

That's how I still feel - now on day 26. Like this whole month has been a big fat waste of time, a whole lot of energy, and loss of a lot of social interactions. I appreciate Juzbo's post about  needing 35 days, but honestly I will have a very hard time continuing past 30 days when I am not seeing any benefits and only negatives!

That's how I still feel - now on day 26. Like this whole month has been a big fat waste of time, a whole lot of energy, and loss of a lot of social interactions. I appreciate Juzbo's post about  needing 35 days, but honestly I will have a very hard time continuing past 30 days when I am not seeing any benefits and only negatives!

I actually had to restart, but am not counting it like that, otherwise I will feel like I'm wasting my time - so I'm adding 10 days to my 30 (accidentally had something non-compliant). So I really am trying to stay positive. Let's stick it out together.

Hey all - Day 24 and nada here as well. I am actually sleeping excessively, have zero energy AND don't get to partake in food/drink I enjoy. Like akayl, just not feeling it and also constipated and really weird BM when I do go (yes, TMI) - I really have loved some of the meals I've cooked and I like that I am in a pattern of meal planning, but that's about it. I guess if that's all I take from the whole 30, then fine, but much like akayl, I won't make it past 30 days. I guess for my lifestyle, I function better on more meals during the day to keep my energy up and some slight indulgences to keep me happy! I wasn't in it for weight loss, but to find my energy, which has not appeared, but has declined. So...back to the ol' drawing board. 

Hey all - Day 24 and nada here as well. I am actually sleeping excessively, have zero energy AND don't get to partake in food/drink I enjoy. Like akayl, just not feeling it and also constipated and really weird BM when I do go (yes, TMI) - I really have loved some of the meals I've cooked and I like that I am in a pattern of meal planning, but that's about it. I guess if that's all I take from the whole 30, then fine, but much like akayl, I won't make it past 30 days. I guess for my lifestyle, I function better on more meals during the day to keep my energy up and some slight indulgences to keep me happy! I wasn't in it for weight loss, but to find my energy, which has not appeared, but has declined. So...back to the ol' drawing board.

Morkkel, do you have a food log, or can you post a few days of food? Perhaps your food is the cause of your issues and we could suggest tweaks?

Everyone is different, but I came in to the whole 30 from 6-7 meals a day. My energy is much more stable on less meals, and I don't get the afternoon energy slumps like I used to!

Sure! Here is what I had yesterday and what I am having today:

Yesterday:

Breakfast: Sweet and Savory quiche (large piece - http://kateupdates.com/2012/09/20/5-quick-easy-whole30-breakfast-options/) with half an avocado, and broccoli. I also added full fat coconut milk to my coffee

Lunch: Thai speghetti squash (probably 1.5 c or so - didn't measure) with two mustard glazed chicken thighs, cauliflower soup (~1cup), broccoli (~1 cup) 

Supper: Large bowl of chocolate chili with half an avocado

Today:

Breakfast: Sweet and Savory quiche (large piece) with half an avocado, and broccoli. I also added full fat coconut milk to my coffee

Lunch - chocolate chili, cauliflower soup, broccoli, half of a sweet potato with ghee

Supper - thai chicken over stir fried vegetables and cauliflower rice

Yesterday I did not work out, today I ran, but it certainly was not high intensity training. 

Sure! Here is what I had yesterday and what I am having today:

Yesterday:

Breakfast: Sweet and Savory quiche (large piece - http://kateupdates.com/2012/09/20/5-quick-easy-whole30-breakfast-options/) with half an avocado, and broccoli. I also added full fat coconut milk to my coffee

Lunch: Thai speghetti squash (probably 1.5 c or so - didn't measure) with two mustard glazed chicken thighs, cauliflower soup (~1cup), broccoli (~1 cup)

Supper: Large bowl of chocolate chili with half an avocado

Today:

Breakfast: Sweet and Savory quiche (large piece) with half an avocado, and broccoli. I also added full fat coconut milk to my coffee

Lunch - chocolate chili, cauliflower soup, broccoli, half of a sweet potato with ghee

Supper - thai chicken over stir fried vegetables and cauliflower rice

Yesterday I did not work out, today I ran, but it certainly was not high intensity training.

Do you ever include pre/postWO meals? IMO, postWO is especially important to help refuel and recover.

You eat a lot of cauliflower and broccoli - perhaps too much? You mention being constipated, too much fibre can cause issues.

In the meals where you haven't mentioned fat, is there sufficient fat in the pre-cooked meal (chilli, Thai chicken etc)? Is it possible you need more?

And are you staying hydrated?

...and feeling fluffy and soft...

sorry for reaching back so far in the thread, but, I just have to respond to this: I have lost about 50lbs on the whole30, although maybe one at most during the first 30 days. Over the course of this I notice that my body changes in cycles. At first when I lose some weight, my skin feels loose and soft and somehow pudgier, then, after a while that skin tightens up a bit and my body feels more fit. I'm not saying this is or is not what is happening to you, but I just wanted to share that experience: feeling "fat" or "fluffy" doesn't necessarily mean that you are gaining weight.

And for the cellulite: Can someone explain to me how this is a thing, again? Cellulite is not bad. It is not a sign of being "fat" or "unfit" it is simply one way that bodies are. Some "skinny" people have it, some "fat" people do not. All bodies are good. There was a great article online about this, I'll track it down for you.

Here is the link: http://gokaleo.com/2013/03/06/cellulite-its-time-we-all-just-get-the-hell-over-it/

Those are good points amber - I do eat a lot of cauliflower, or brussels sprouts, it's the easy way to get in all my veggies! But maybe I should switch it out with non-fibrous veggies?? Are there non-fibrous veggies? LOL! I eat a lot of spinach too - last week was ALL spinach. There's only two of us, so we make a big batch for the week. So it may be cauliflower this week, then spinach and peppers the next. 

The Thai chicken has a ton of coconut milk. I feel like I get too much fat at times. The thumb means nothing to me, I tend to go through 1 avocado and 1/2 to 1 can of full fat coconut milk a day (on my own). That is not including ghee, coconut oil, etc. that I add to meals.

As for water, I aim to drink 6-8 liters a day, think that's about 24-32 cups?

I've been reading the pre and post wo stuff, but I don't feel like my running is high intensity, it's usually an easy 3 miler or something similar. Then I literally sit, all day long at work. Post wo is usually my breakfast - I know that's a no-no, but to run in the morning and make it to work in time, I have to combine. 

I can vouch for eating too many fibrous green veggies - making you feeling puffy and bloated.  In fact it caused me to gain weight (the fact that I was very stressed during this time also didn't help)

I do really well with a mix.  If I have fibrous veggies - let's say broccoli or brussel sprouts, then I have to make sure I pair them off with a cup of starchies. Roasted pepper squash seems to be a favourite of mine for the moment.  If I cut out the starchies - my body is just really not happy.  If I eat nothing but starchies for a while - I also have problems.  The key is to find a balance that works for you.

I had to cut out all nuts, avocado and coconut - they were causing me digestive issues, bloating, puffiness. It took time for me to recognize these items as the culprits but once I cut them out, I saw big improvements. Now I use lots of evoo, rendered animal fat and ghee as my sources of fat. Broccoli and brussel sprouts don't agree with me either (though sometimes I can't help myself because I love brussel sprouts so much). Veggies that don't cause me any problems - kale, spinach, chard, squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumber, celery, green beans, snow peas, cucumber, lettuce, pureed cauliflower, small amounts of cooked green cabbage (very small amounts), sauerkraut (and lots of it!!), parsnips, and many more...

Yes.  Think of it as - you are your own science experiment.

It took a lot of playing around for me to figure out what works best and makes my body happy.  Now since I have added running and some body weight excersises I am needing to tweak again.  But it's fun.  The reward - i get to be Migraine free!

sorry for reaching back so far in the thread, but, I just have to respond to this: I have lost about 50lbs on the whole30, although maybe one at most during the first 30 days. Over the course of this I notice that my body changes in cycles. At first when I lose some weight, my skin feels loose and soft and somehow pudgier, then, after a while that skin tightens up a bit and my body feels more fit. I'm not saying this is or is not what is happening to you, but I just wanted to share that experience: feeling "fat" or "fluffy" doesn't necessarily mean that you are gaining weight.

And for the cellulite: Can someone explain to me how this is a thing, again? Cellulite is not bad. It is not a sign of being "fat" or "unfit" it is simply one way that bodies are. Some "skinny" people have it, some "fat" people do not. All bodies are good. There was a great article online about this, I'll track it down for you.

Here is the link: http://gokaleo.com/2013/03/06/cellulite-its-time-we-all-just-get-the-hell-over-it/

I agree, everyone is different and some "skinny" people have cellulite, some "fat" people don't; however, my cellulite had been smoothing out, and then it all of a sudden seemed to reappear. Wasn't sure if it had something to do with Whole30, maybe more fat? Not sure...

Yes.  Think of it as - you are your own science experiment.

It took a lot of playing around for me to figure out what works best and makes my body happy.  Now since I have added running and some body weight excersises I am needing to tweak again.  But it's fun.  The reward - i get to be Migraine free!

You are right, that's a good way to look at the whole30, that being said, I think I will end up primarily eating paleo, but for me, adding in some of my favorites makes me feel good! I will be adding in some paleofied desserts, wine, and pizza (on occasion)! For me, these will be worth it and I still think my body will function well. Snacks will also be added back in, think this three meals a day thing isn't necessarily working for my body. I find myself over stuffing myself in the hopes of feeling full until the next meal! That's not listening to my body at all! Thanks again!

Trez - sorry I have zero advice for you, I hope some of the items listed on this thread help you out!

I would def cut the coconut cream in half if you want to lose a bit. Avocado is also problematic for many of us, try cutting back to half?

I've been gaining weight on my whole30s and feeling uncomfortable. This one I am excluding nuts, coconut, avocado, seeds, dried fruit, coffee and cocoa and limiting ghee and feel ever so much better. I might even be loosing wight but I don't really care because my meals and digestion just sort of feel right, like I can keep going for ever... Except for when I ate cauliflower three days in a row, that was ugly!

My skin flares up with coffee and I get irritable and hungry when I have it.... It's always been a love hate situation for me and I find it really addictive and it takes me two weeks to get over withdrawal symptoms, decaf isn't really any better either. I have a small amount of ghee each day, use a fair bit of olive oil and some sesame oil and I do have coconut oil plus animal sources of fat from salmon, fattier cuts of chicken and bacon, plus I have olives most days.... It's not hard to get the minimum 3 tablespoons of fat if you take care with your cooking eg I add ghee to a bowl of soup, cook big pots of ground meat and grated veg with oil added, bake veges in olive oil etc.

It's worth varying your veggies: nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant), cruciferous (cauli, broccoli, brussel sprouts), higher starch, lower starch, colours. You may find some things agree with you more than others, whether digestion or weight loss. We're all different :)

I love carrots but they sometimes make my blood sugar more crazy than other things which are higher in sugar. I don't have the same problem with pumpkin or sweet potato. If I have too many cruciferous with not many other veggies, I start getting stomach pains.

Archived