Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

• Moderators

School IS exhausting!

I've been eating some locally produced yogurt from happy healthy cows, too, to add even more good gut flora. It does right by me. I've read that even people who have problem digesting dairy can be fine with yogurt because of the fermentation. Fermentation=magic. I feel sorry for people who haven't figured that out. . . . 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't eat a whole lot of dairy, other than yogurt and some HC in my coffee.  I am very happy I can tolerate it.

My son seemed a little less tired.  My nephew stayed over last night.  They did a good job getting out the door this morning.  But the conversation in the car!  The amount of rampant misinformation that passes between the two boys as fact is startling.  Then I'm trying to figure out whether I should jump in and correct it all or if I should just let it go.   :lol:

I think I am pretty back to normal now, digestion/bloating-wise, so that's good news.  Runs are hard to come by this week, guess I'll have to wait for a good run at the beach on Friday.  Then my sister and I are going to go for a run on Sunday before I head home.  I'm trying to decide what to do on Sunday, maybe 8.  Then 6 on Monday back  home?  And maybe a short 3-miler one day during the week next week?  I'll definitely try to get a few walks in after that, to keep things moving without strain.  Maybe if I had bothered to follow a plan, I would know how to properly taper for this race!   :rolleyes:

• Moderators

Glad you're feeling more like yourself physically. Good luck giving your body what it needs for the best possible race. Remember that fueling from here on out will be a big factor in how you feel and perform in addition to your workouts. Don't skimp on starchy carbs and water!

LadyM - Hydration is never an issue, I drink a lot of water.  But fueling, that's a good point.  Making sure I'm in a good place nutritionally is a great idea.  A sweet potato a day for 4 or 5 days before the race is an excellent idea.

Last night was busy with a meeting and packing, but I think we are ready to go.  I'm leaving work early, grabbing my son and nephew and heading to the beach.  A couple of days there and then down to DC to return my nephew.  Back home on Sunday and I have to come into work to close the month.  So I'll be looking forward to relaxing on Monday.

My running plan is to do about an hour at some point at the beach (5-6 miles), maybe 8-10 on Sunday with my sister, and then about 6-7 on Monday.  Hopefully I can make all that work.

Have a fantastic Labor Day weekend!   :D

I had a great weekend.  All my travel plans worked out well and I managed to not have any major traffic issues.  The beach was great and the boys had a blast swimming, swimming, swimming.  My eating was eh, not horrible, not great.  Definitely not enough veg.  My nephew is a vegetarian and at one point he specifically asked for vegetables.  I'll have to remember to bring more veg if this opportunity presents itself again.

I was able to get in a 6 miler at the beach, an 8 miler (horrible, hot, humid, not enough sleep) in DC, and I did another 8 miler at home yesterday (better, but still slow).  My plan is to do a slow 5 miler on Wednesday and then do a fast-paced walk on Friday and a more leisurely walk on Saturday.  We'll be having house guests Saturday night for the race.

My eating strategy for the week is: Eat extra carbs, namely trying to eat a small sweet potato daily.  Lots of water (even more than usual, and I drink a lot normally).  Make sure I'm having enough salt to go along with the extra water.  No wine!  This is a big one.  I think I will allow myself one glass on Friday night.  Saturday will be an early bedtime, as I have to get up at 5 for the race.

This week starts our new schedule which will include swim team.  We are going to try out the following and see how it goes: Tuesday - Karate at 4:15, dinner for my son at my parent's, swim team from 6-7, home to shower and bed.  Wednesday - Karate.  Thursday - Swim team, so dinner beforehand at my parent's.  I'm not sure if Tuesday is going to just be too much.  If it is, we will probably skip Karate and do it on Saturday instead.

After we get through the first swim team practice or two, I'm considering trying to get a run in during practice.  It would be utilizing an hour that otherwise I would just be sitting around.  I will have to think about that.  I don't like that I will have to interact with people after my run (I am sweaty and stinky), but I might have to deal with that if I want to get any runs in during the week.

Back to reality!

Ha, I don't know if anyone will be able to get past the smell in order to admire me!   :P

Yesterday was a bit crazy, but it seemed to work out.  I really like the new swim coach.  My son says he doesn't like it because like 2nd grade, it is hard work.  Get used to it, buddy!

So my carb plan has been foiled by zero sweet potatos/yams at the grocery store.  How is that possible?  I'm going to make a batch of white rice to use instead, unless my husband can find some SP close to his work.

Power went out last night for a couple of hours.  Very strange, as there didn't seem to be any cause.  Despite my brain trying to convince me to have a glass of wine, I  sensibly told myself I could go for a week without and did just fine.  Funny how those little thoughts can sneak in and try to sabotage.

So tonight an easy 5 miles.

I stopped back at the grocery store yesterday, and they were busting at the seams with SW, so I grabbed a bunch.  Phew!

I almost didn't get my run in last night.  My husband had an unexpected conference call, so I had to do Karate duty.  I got home at 6:30.  I decided to just buck up and do it anyway.  I'm so glad I did.  A strong 5 miler.  I hope I didn't overdo it, as my times were much better than they have been.  Now if I can just keep healthy!  No wine last night, no problem.

We finally had the kahlua pork yesterday.  Yum!  Love it.  It was so good.  My husband and son also both loved it.  That makes me so happy.  We have tons of leftovers and it was so easy.  I know what we'll be doing with the rest of those roasts!

Tonight is another swim team practice and I have to run by the grocery store, again!  At least it isn't the karate/swim team combo, so my son should be able to get a full meal in without being rushed.

The race went great!   :D   I did better than expected and beat my B goal (my A goal was completely unrealistic).  I felt really great during the race, just the last mile or so felt rough.  I actually had negative splits, which I can hardly believe.  The day was beautiful, after a really hot and humid Saturday.  The course was lovely, almost completely on the canal path of the Lehigh River.  And no marathoners finished ahead of me.   :P   Overall, a great day.  And running it with friends and family made it really special, even though I didn't see them after the start.  My mantra during the race was "run your own race", to keep myself from going out too fast.  It seemed to work.  I'm tired today, and my foot is bothering me (I've self-diagnosed myself with plantar fasciitis), but otherwise I feel great.  Phew, I did it!

My sister is so fast, she finished 2nd in her age group and 27/628 of all females.  Impressive!

So our weekend was a bit crazy with the race and having house guests.  I stuck to my no drinking pre-race and I'm really glad I did.  Yesterday I had some celebratory drinks and food.

A couple of days of rest and I have to start thinking about how I want to continue my training.

Thanks, ladies.  I'm ordered some new work shoes and I've been doing some strengthening and stretching exercises with my foot.

Yesterday was a calm day, nothing too exciting.  I went with a darker hair color for fall and got a trim (which I really needed).

Swim team got cancelled for tonight, so I think I'm going to try to get in a short, easy run tonight.  I'll see how that goes.

I'm back to normal with food.  But I did want to comment that I think my sweet potato a day before the race seemed to work well.  I didn't fuel at all during the race and that didn't seem to be a problem.

Juz - Thanks!

I went to a viewing last night, never pleasant.  Otherwise, nothing special, but the salmon was delicious!

Tonight I have a dentist appointment and then swim team.

I'm trying to decide what to run tomorrow.  I was thinking 8 miles, but I'm not sure if that is over doing it after the race.  Any thoughts?

I've been getting some reflux after eating yogurt in the afternoon.  I'm thinking I'll try cutting back on the amount before cutting out the yogurt back completely, since it seems to help my digestion.

Archived