Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Thanks Physibeth! I don't eat eggs or almond flour but maybe I'll improvise. :)

Hope the dentist went well. I also need to have some cavities filled in my son's mouth.

I'm sorry you weren't feeling in top form, but glad you listened to your body. I guess we all have to do that more in our old age. ;) In all seriousness, it's hard to let go of that old drive to push through the pain, especially in a race. Better to walk a but now than walk for weeks and weeks after an injury.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jen - Thanks!

Beets - Thanks!  I'll comment on your not pushing through in a minute.

Dentist went fine, although my son bit through his lip when he still had the Novocaine effects.  Annoyingly, they only did 2 of the 3 cavities, so he has to go back AGAIN.   :rolleyes:   I'm trying not to be annoyed by this, but I'm super annoyed.

Yesterday I got to work early because my husband took off to take my son to the dentist and go to Father's Day karate.  So I was home early.  Alone.  Perfect time to fit in a good run.  Especially as I didn't run all weekend.  And can't run again until at least Friday because of scheduling.  So I sat on the couch and watched a couple shows.  I really don't know what came over me.  Was it because I had been off of running all weekend?  Was it because I needed a break?  Was I being flat out lazy?  I'm leaning towards the last...  Anyway, it isn't the end of the world, but it is amazing that I went from my high mileage week of 30 miles to two weeks in a row of single digit running.  :wacko:

Tonight I'm getting my hair colored (Jen, we're almost on the same schedule) and hopefully my eyebrows threaded.

M1: Egg muffins, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast and 1/3 avocado over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt with berries

M3: Pork chop, mixed greens with O&V; glass of wine

• Moderators

Well, sometimes you just need to rest. Call it lazy or whatever if beating yourself up makes you feel better, but one day soon you're going to be super eager to run and it will be wonderful. I wouldn't worry about it too much!

I would be so annoyed at the dentist, too!  They should know better than to make a kid come back if at all possible.  They did that to my husband when he had his wisdom teeth out.  He told them to get all 4 even if he was waking up when they did the last one.  They left one in.  He refused to go back so he still has it.  Luckily, he has never had trouble with it.  I'm sure they are thinking of safety, but it's hard not to think they're trying to get another payment.  Cynical us.

My poor son's lip looks so awful.  He says it doesn't hurt at least.

Nothing much to share.  I realized after a few more attempts that the Trail Mix was definitely causing bloating.  I'm not sure why, sprouted seeds, nuts, dried fruit.  Maybe it is the dried fruit?   Anyway, not worth the bloating.

I hit the grocery store tonight in preparation for going away this weekend.  It will be nice to get away.

M2: Chicken breast and 1/3 avocado over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt with berries

M3: Fresh ham (not sure how I'm feeling about this, as I really don't like ham, but have only had cured ham), mixed greens with O&V; glass of wine

• Moderators

Everything about trail mix is a bloat bomb. I tend to do better with sprouted nuts, but I think nuts and seeds in general are just hard to digest and thus bloat inducing. It's so delightfully nosh-worthy, but good riddance!

It is funny, because I don't seem to have any issues with nuts.  Maybe it is the combination of the nuts, seeds, and fruit?  I guess it doesn't matter, because although it tastes good, it isn't worth it.

Tonight is my son's first swim meet!  I'm excited for him.  He was worried about winning.  I told him that for right now he should compete against himself, like I do for races.  I have some salmon cakes to eat before/during the meet.  I'm not sure how this is all going to work, so I'm winging it.

We got some great news last night from our neighbors - they are expecting, due in January.  They've been trying for awhile, so I'm really excited for them.  And excited to have a little one right next door.   :D

M3: Salmon cakes...?

I think in general it's really important to teach kids to have an internal rewards mechanism. The concept of personal best definitely falls by the wayside when sports are totally focused on winning.

Happy news for your neighbors. It's really hard to watch people struggling with conceiving, and good when it has a happy ending. Good friends of ours just completed an adoption after many years of fertility treatments and then the long painful process of trying to adopt. I was so so happy for them.

Thanks, ladies.

Beets, big congrats to your friends!

So the first swim meet went well.  The other team didn't have many boys in the 8 and under division and our team only has four.  My son competed in four events - freestyle, backstroke, breast, and freestyle relay.  He came in first out of four in freestyle and back and came in second out of two in breast.  The other team didn't have enough to do the relay, so it was just our boys out there - so I guess that's a win...  Anyway, he had a lot of fun, once we got past the initial nerves (LOTS of crying and drama).  Next meet is tomorrow.

Our weekend away was fantastic.  The weather was perfect, just beautiful.  Lots of relaxing and we barely spent anytime at all inside, mostly just to sleep.  My eating was mostly on track, some snacking, but that was nuts or kale chips.  Definitely had some wine.  I went for a gorgeous 7-mile run on the rail trail in the PA Little Grand Canyon.  I was a bit sore yesterday, due to my lack of running, but I should be back on track this week.

totm0907_01.jpg

I'm planning to do a 5 miler tonight.  And I'm having HB eggs this week because I just couldn't fit in one more thing yesterday with trying to get unpacked from the trip, laundry done, cooking for the week, making dinner, and getting ourselves to bed.  I think the next time we are away for a weekend I'm going to try to have breakfasts and lunches for the following week prepared before we go.  And maybe try to do at least some of the laundry (sheets, towels) before we go away.  Any peace I found over the weekend was gone in the mad scramble to get ready for the week.

M1: 2 HB eggs, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Salmon cake, mixed greens with O&V and 1/4 avocado, yogurt and berries

M3: Beef burger, mixed greens with O&V

• Moderators

So happy for your gorgeous relaxing weekend and your son's swim meet! I can imagine the dread of coming home to all that work, though. Ugh. And being unprepared for the week ahead can throw off the whole week. Sounds like you've got a handle on it, though. Just don't get sick of HB eggs! Or tart them up a bit, at least. . . .

That picture . . . Stunning!

Feels like I haven't been here in forever.  I'm not sure when the boards came back up.  I'm pretty sure they weren't up Thursday morning when I checked in.

The week was good, the weekend better.  I got in good runs Saturday and Sunday.  We finally finished spreading the mulch that's been sitting in our driveway.  We had an impromptu neighborhood gathering on Friday evening.

Tonight is my late night for month end.  I stopped and had x-rays and blood-work done for my hands this morning.  My doctor is pretty sure that my issues are related to the onset of osteo-arthritis.  The blood-work is to rule out rheumatoid arthritis, which she doesn't think it is.  Unfortunately, there is no cure for arthritis, just management.  She told me it is important I keep using my hands and exercising.

M1: meat quiche, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast over mixed greens (from the garden, woot!), yogurt with berries

M3: Not sure about this, working late - I have an apple and almond butter for a worst case scenario

LadyM, finally made the meat quiche again and it turned out much better.  I used these thin pork sausage patties we got from our pig.  I also used spinach and sweet potato.  Yum!

• Moderators

Yay for a better quiche! I find ground pork makes the most satisfying "crust" by far.

Oof. Sorry that the news may not be so good with your hand, but glad you're getting closer to an answer and managing whatever it turns out to be.

Thanks, ladies!

I wasn't stuck at work too  late last night, so that's good.  I got to bed a bit earlier than Sunday night, which is good.  But I'm still dragging today.

Tonight is another swim meet, so I'll try to get out of work a bit early.

M2: Chicken breast over mixed greens, yogurt with berries

M3: I have a lara bar packed, not sure how this will pan out as I didn't make real food to travel

ETA: Changed my avatar as my other one seemed to not be showing up.

Jen - I survived yesterday, but unfortunately got to bed even later last night.  But I feel less tired today?  Strange.

Swim meet went well last night.  My son finally got all of his ribbons back to the first meet, so he was really excited about that.  Tonight I'll run to the grocery store and then pick my son up from karate.

M2: Chicken breast over mixed greens, yogurt with berries

M3: Pork chops and salad, I think

I think we get used to being tired.  Remember the baby days?  I barely registered that I was exhausted.  Now, I can't imagine going through that again. 

Glad the swim meet went well.

Archived