I find it hard to eat that much protein

rubbersoul

I'm only on day #2 of my Whole30, but I'm already fed up with all these protein sources in my meals. I'm just not a big meat eater. I do like meat, every once in a while, and I feel the same about eggs and fish - once or twice a week would be plenty for me!! Having to eat SOME protein with each and every meal actually spoils the meals for me - quite often I would very much prefer just a simple vegetable or fruit salad.

Do you guys have any ideas how to improve this situation? Would it be terrible to just skip the protein once a day?

• Moderators

The reason the Whole30 asks you to eat a palm-size portion of protein at each meal is because your body needs that much protein. You may think you are fine when you eat a lot less, but you are actually not fine. Your health requires that palm-size portion of protein. If you skip eating the protein to maintain what you have become used to, you will not experience the full benefits of what the Whole30 offers. 

I don't have any advice about how to accomplish the transformation that you need here, but it is important. 

In "It Starts With Food", there's a part where they mention eating vegetables and how some people don't like to eat them. Their response? "We don't care." There are just some times when you have to suck it up and do things you're not fond of. Maybe that seems to be protein, in your case.

Then again, I think you should just know your priorities - what do you value better, meals that sound appealing or sticking with the meal template of the program and seeing how your body responds to it :) It's your call. OR maybe it's time to try new recipes? I personally don't eat meat, but absolutely love eggs and smoked fish! You could play around until you find something that suits your fancy? 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm trying the best I can, but there's no way I can stomach a handful of meat / fish / eggs 3 times a day. I guess that makes it impossible for me to do a "real" Whole30. I'll try to eat as much as I can but I get sick from eating too much meat (plus I have joint pain the day after I ate lots of meat). So basically I will try to eat a palm sized portion of protein at least 2 times a day.

I get what you're saying by "We don't care if you don't like it", but it's not just a lack of appetite for meat. It literally makes me nauseous easily. I guess my body is just not meant for eating that much meat. Veggies never make me sick, even though I don't always feel like eating them (but I don't care and eat them anyways!).

I'm pretty short, maybe it's just too much protein per day for my size.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try to eat the protein if it's just lack of appetite for protein, but I'll skip it if it makes me feel sick.

Hang in there!  My suggestion would be to keep trying different protein sources/cooking methods until you (hopefully) find something that works.  Chicken breasts are fairly benign and can be grilled/roasted/pan fried/sauced, mixed in a salad, be the salad, etc.  I struggled with finding the right fat source for a little while.  I gleefully jumped on the clarified butter bandwagon until I began to dislike the oil-slick feeling in my mouth.  So I experimented and found avocado and a measured amount of sunbutter to work better for me most of the time.  I hope you find a protein source that works for you!

rhonda

I'm pretty short, maybe it's just too much protein per day for my size.

Keep in mind that the protein recommendations are scaled to your size "1 palm" of protein for you is less than "1 palm" for a big guy for a reason. I agree with the others: do the best that you can to meet the guidelines, trying different protein sources and preparations.

In addition, if eating protein is making you feel sick, that might indicate a need for digestive enzymes with your meals--that will help in the short term as your body gets used to eating more meat.

Here is a great article that might help with the transition: http://www.whole9life.com/2011/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged/

I know someone who struggles with early sateity.  Do you just feel "full" before you're done eating, or is the protein just really unappetizing?

Maybe a blend of protiens per meal (e.g. a couple of shrimp and a piece of chicken) could make things more palatable?

I'm on day seven and have been going through the same problem.  We are supposed to eat three meals a day but when it comes time for me to prepare and eat that meal the last thing i want to do is eat meat.  I feel both satiated and physically full from the previous meal and, while the thought of a big salad doesn't bother me, I have no desire for even a small portion of meat.  

In my case, I think it was a bout of constipation for the beginning of my plan that made meat unbearable,  In the past couple days this has finally passed.  In the meantime, I have been focusing on portion sizes.  I know that we are not supposed to measure too closely but some people are better at estimating than others.  Be sure that your palm size portions are truly like the width and thickness of your palm and not how much you can hold in your palm.  The latter might be too big for you.  Also make sure you are getting those healthy fats that are about the volume of your whole thumb.  And then make sure that your veggies are 2-3 cups.  The suggestion to fill the whole plate with veggies after putting the meat in the middle is way too arbitrary for me.  I was shortchanging myself on veggies which for me may have meant that the meat part was too much for that meal.  

You might need to space your meals out a little more so that you feel a bit more hunger at each one.  Are you snacking at all during the day?  The joint pain could very well be part of the detox.  In fact the distaste for protein may very well be your body's version of 'Low Carb Flu'.  Are you getting the daily emails?  The first week is not supposed to be pretty.  It really is a "tough your way through it" proposition.  But the payoffs start appearing towards the end of the first week.  I can tell you already, Day2 is not a good day to give up on the plan, or adjust it in any way.  I promise you will start seeing benefits before this weekend is over.

Keep it up.  If you're anything like me, you did this major thing because you needed major changes to happen.  If you need a program buddy, i would love to do this together.  I suspect that once we are both clear of the first week our challenges will be similar and we can support each other.

Thank you guys. Yes I guess portion sizes might have to be just slightly smaller for me. I'll keep an eye on that.

I think one problem with my protein appetite might be the selection of my proteins. Since I am on a very tight budget, I need to go for the cheapest choices. Most often those are eggs and cheap, relatively fatty cuts of pork. I guess it would be a lot easier with salmon, shrimp, beef and chicken. And more variation in general. Well I'll do the best I can. Have to make do with what I can afford, I already spend way too much money on all that fresh fruit and vegetables. I won't go back to regularly eating bread after I'm done with the Whole30, but I need to go for cheaper starches (potatoes and rice, I think) or else I will be in serious trouble lol. This was a VERY expensive month foodwise. Bread and pasta are so much cheaper :S

Thanks for the article on problems with eating meat. I guess psychological barriers might also apply; since I can't buy organic, I have to make do with CAFO meat :S It's not very appetizing to know that you're basically supporting animal cruelty. I don't have a good solution for that; other than including beans after my Whole30 and trying to keep meat and fish to a minimum.

@Knoonell: Snacking could be a problem; I tend to plan my meals according to my work shifts, sometimes it's a bit chaotic (too little or too much time between meals). I try to avoid snacking but can'T cut it out totally, or else I don't have enough energy at work (I snack on an apple or some tangerines).

I am not on the official programm (too expensive) but I'm already on day 23 ;) Still figuring stuff out and getting better at planning from day to day. It's a nice learning process.

I think one problem with my protein appetite might be the selection of my proteins. Since I am on a very tight budget, I need to go for the cheapest choices. Most often those are eggs and cheap, relatively fatty cuts of pork. I guess it would be a lot easier with salmon, shrimp, beef and chicken. And more variation in general. 

What about canned products?  Canned chicken, salmon, or tuna?  Sardines?  I use those products to create my cheap meals. 

You can go for cheaper cuts of other meats as well. Chicken is cheaper if you get thighs instead of breasts or buy a whole chicken which is the best option and really easy to cook. For beef roasts tend to be the cheapest and if you have a slow cooker you can make them up really tasty. Canned seafood is your best option. I've also found good prices on flash frozen wild caught salmon at grocery stores. What I do sometimes is go to the store and pick the cheapest protein from each section and then come home and find recipes for what I bought. 

I do buy canned tuna occasionally (I love the taste), but it's kinda expensive. I've never seen canned salmon or chicken. Fresh chicken IS on my menu, thighs are cheaper, but occasionally I also buy breast meat (which is a lot tastier / easier to swallow in my opinion. I am seldom hungry for fatty meat. Lean meat is a lot more easier to eat, I think?). Can't afford beef, but I will buy cheap pork chops. Unfortunately, those are the fattier parts as well (lots of ground meat with 20% fat and more), and I feel it's pretty unappetizing.

And lots of eggs. That's the cheapest protein source I can find (well, aside from beans and cheese and curd cheese)

I guess there is just no perfect solution. Wish I had more money. I am not surprised most people eat bread, pasta and rice, it's so much cheaper :(

What I do when money is tight and I have to purchase the cheaper packs of ground beef is I make taco salad--sturdy greens--kale, romaine, arugula (rocket) and the like, tomatoes, bell peppers, olives, and the like and when I cook the meat, I toss in chopped onions and seasonings and I use the juices as dressing for the salad. Works for us!

Not sure what prices are like in Germany, but sweet potatoes and both winter and summer squash tend to be fairly inexpensive vegetable options that I'm finding really useful as someone on a limited budget.

They're about 4-6€ per kg over here

Archived