9 June Start

dcducks1

Sandy~ yes you could have a headache for a few days. Don't beat yourself up. In the beginning for me I had no energy and everyone else was going on and on about how great they felt. I was a late bloomer took a couple weeks before things came around and then they go up and down as your body adjusts and expels. PLEASE do not give up on yourself. You will have NO regrets!! 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a source on this site or elsewhere where I could get 5 days of meals already planned so I can get a handle on what to eat? 

Here are a few reliable sources:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

http://whole9life.com/2013/07/whole30-meal-plans/

Hello! Although I'm a little late to the festivities, I also started on 6/9. This will be my first W30 and I'm incredibly excited to see and feel the results. I'll be going at it alone, so I'll probably need all the support an awesome group like this can offer!

My motivation to complete the W30 is to see how my body reacts to what I eat. Back in 2009 (at age 29!!) I started experiencing very localized arthritis in my hands, jaw, and hips. Since then I've worked with my awesome rheumatologist and tried all kinds of medications, but I'm still living with a low level of constant inflammation.  Activities that I love, like cycling and tennis, have become more difficult and fill me with fear of injury. I'm finally at a position where I can devote the time and energy to modify my eating behaviors and tackle a program like this.

Whew! Let the fun begin!

Gabenick2 - I'm, also in the cranky w/ a headache camp.  I wasn't planning on telling co-workers what I was doing, but I was worried I might snap at someone for no reason, so I've warned all the people I work closely with.  Fortunately, all were supportive.  I might have had some choice words for anyone who told me this wasn't a good program today.  

It's interesting to me that as crabby as I feel, and esp. w/ the headache, I'm not tempted to eat something I shouldn't.  I'm sure that time will come, but so far from a taste perspective, the food I'm eating is really satisfying so I'm happily eating all of the healthy foods.  I did break down and make iced tea yesterday.  Figured I deserved a little something as a treat.  I'm hoping to hit the local tea store this weekend and pick up an interesting blend.  

I would like some suggestions for breakfast besides eggs. Up until now I was a protein smoothie or oatmeal gal, and I admit I miss them. An d it seems so weird eating so much beef & chicken....you know, especially when I've been used to the meatless meals with all the things I'm trying avoid.

So what are you eating at meal #1?

Started 6/8 Day 4 (kill all things)- I can't believe how much easier this is from my first whole 30 experience. Last time I decided to give up coffe and nuts along with the regular items that are non compliant. I was in extruciating pain and could not handle running because the pain became even more intense. I gave into coffee on day 21 and felt a million times better as soon as I did. This time I have kept coffee in my plan and am feeling amazing. I am still tired and definitely have had the sugar cravings but because of experience, I know that will pass. I also know that I will stop being hungry 4 hours after a meal. (I need to make it 5 hours because of my work schedual) I am definitely glad I took a full two days and prepped everything except vegetable before I started. If the food is ready it is so much easier to stay on tract. I hope everyone is doing great today and I look forward to the next 26 days and beyond! Oh and so far I don't want to kill anything, actually in a great mood so far today.

Hi Whole30 friends! I love seeing that everyone is doing well. Slaying the sugar demons are no fun, but it has been eye opening so far. Reading labels is a scary scary thing. So far, Day one and two have been a success. Haven't felt too tired or hungry, but I haven't had a good nights sleep in the last two nights. My runs have felt okay (not great but not bad) and I am making sure that I am getting enough protein and starchy veggies in to fuel those long, hot Florida runs. I am thankful that I am not a coffee drinker after seeing your coffee without sugar posts.

Admission: I have a horrible after-dinner cookie obsession. For the past 6 months, I have made a batch of home made cookies at least 3 times a week. No, I didn't eat the entire batch. I would usually make some for my stepson's lunch and then bring the rest to work, but always nibbled on the cookie dough. Horrible habit, but I am hoping that this breaks that cycle. You can't outrun a bad meal plan.

Here is to another good day!

Enjoying reading all the posts while eating my stuffed cabbage (grassfed beef, shredded carrots, onions, mushrooms) topped with homemade ketchup.  My kitchen is trashed constantly!  Dirty it, clean it, dirty it, clean it.........   I need a sous chef.  Any volunteers?

Miki --  How do you remember what everyone posted to respond??   As I read, I am moved and think of something to say but after I've read 5 or 6 more I forget who said what. 

SingingMom - I agree with what you said about being bombarded with bad food choices.  It's mostly an American thing, I think.  We want lots of stuff (including food) for a little money.  It can meld into gluttony.  We want to buy chicken or beef in a restaurant for $5.95 -- so they use hormones, antibiotics, etc. to grow 'em fast and cheap to do that for us.  Advertising here can be persuasive.  I go to Italy once or twice a year and it is starting to flow there in the big cities.  Processed food being advertised strongly, etc.   We need to stand strong.  For me, it's all about making a conscious choice BEFORE the temptations arise. Planning helps, too.

Those who are struggling, stay on course.  I know (I'm believing, anyway) that it will be worth it.  I envy those of you who know how and why your body feels what it does.  I hope to be introduced to that during/after this program. 

Hi everyone!

Sandy- do you get the whole30 daily emails? I found them so helpful! Todays title is actually Day 3: One of the Toughest Days. You are not alone! Here's a (long) excerpt from today's:

It's day three, and you might not be feeling quite so bright and shiny today. Remember we said the first week is full of ups and downs? Today, we want to talk about some potential downs you may be experiencing, and give you some light at the end of your tired, cranky, rumbly-tummy tunnel.

Tired: You're probably more tired and lethargic today. This is your body adapting to its new fuel source – fat – and transitioning out of your old “sugar-burner†days. (We'll talk about this more on Day 6, when you've had some more time to adjust.) This is normal, and will resolve quickly, as long as you do your part to help. Sleep lots. Take naps. Take time off from the gym, or make it a “half-intensity†week. Don't lean too heavily on caffeine or sugar from fruit to see you through mid-afternoon slumps. Basically, be patient, accept this is a normal part of your transition, and don't expect any personal bests in the gym, or miraculous energy highs this week. Those things will come in due time, we assure you.

Cranky/Moody: At this point, you may be kind of cranky about the foods you “can't†eat. Your brain is probably throwing tantrums; missing sugar, cookies, cheese, or wine. The fact that you're tired isn't helping your mood, either. We have just one word of advice—patience! This passes within just a few days, as much of it is blood-sugar-regulation related. As your hormones start to get back into balance, your mood will regulate too – and once your energy picks up, your brain stops fighting your efforts, and you start feeling the Whole30 magic, you'll be brighter and shinier than ever.

Detoxin': You may be experiencing some physical symptoms; the result of your body starting to heal from the damage done by your old less-healthy food choices. Acne and rashes, worsening allergies, and digestive distress are common during this first week. Sometimes, things get worse before they get better, but know this is a common, even healthy stage as your body starts to heal. Be patient—by the second week, these should be largely resolved.

Hope this helps everyone who's having a hard day! Subscribe to the emails and hang in there, it gets so much better!

Rosann- I agree, this forum is too quick for me to be able to reply to everyone! But I love reading and I'm rooting for everyone!

Happy Day 3 everyone!

I had sauteed bacon, cabbage and apple for breakfast and it was DELISH. I am following yesterday's plan of trying to eat more fat so as to avoid the dreaded hunger. 

Sandy - hang in there. Sugar is a drug and can take long time to detox from, as can diet sodas. Club soda with lemon helps me out. 

Emotionally, I have been thinking a lot about this. For me, I love food and am a total foodie, food scholar, and cook from way back when. However, I ALSO use food to numb my emotional pain, to comfort me when I'm sad, etc etc. Especially sugar. If I cry, my next step is to look for sugar for the pick me up. I was thinking last night about how hard it is and how brave we are to go off our "drug". And that that means that sometimes we really do have to sit with the pain that we were numbing, and move through it, just let stuff come up and breathe, breathe, breathe. If you have a lot of "stuff" that can be really big, and tough. I am pretty even keeled most of the time but I also have a great therapist to help me out if I get stuck on something. Being human is amazing !! But it can also be super tough. So, again, I think we have to be very forgiving of ourselves here, know that stuff may come up and just - try to move through it - especially if we have been emotional eaters. 

I also wanted to share a great quote - I read a book written by a Dr who specialized in addictions - including food. He said that someone had come to him and said "I've tried Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig and every diet ever and nothing works, the weight just won't come off" And the Dr said "have you tried suffering?" 

OY!  But it made me think of W30. 

Anyways, those are my musings for the day! 

Hang in there everyone! 

Dearest 6/9 Family,

Rosann, As I always tell my 30 something tennis friends, "honey, you may be thinner, stronger and more agile, but I'm meaner and I don't mind cheating!".

So, how do I cheat here? I read through everything once, then I hop into my dialog box, and then scroll up and down, back and forth, responding to each post as I can or feel compelled to do. That's it in a nutshell.

DebC - you and I may be related, I'm just not sure anymore.

Miki's program adjustments. I think in an effort to be compliant, I may be creating my own disaster. I know this about myself and have to watch for it. I do have an eating disorder, not an unmanageable one, but one that needs/or has needed constant monitoring. I am not a meat fan. I have been eating too much meat for my personal well-being. The other thing I suspected is that sweet potato turns on my bingeing (not a word?) gene. So for breakfast I had celery, radishes and an egg white (the yolk dropped out of the eggwhite and sailed across the kitchen floor like there was wind). Low on Calories I realize, at 12:30 - 1:00 (although not hungry - remember I added back in coffee and that is an appetite suppressant, especially if your stomach is empty and there is no sugar or milk to dilute it). I had a salad with two whole eggs, 1/2 avocado, about a thumb of meyer lemon olive oil, tons of broccoli, purple cabbage, celery, onion, grated carrot, salt and lemon pepper. I am very satisfied (1:42, but I am going to have 1/2 of a cantaloupe. I have chicken stirfry at home after my meeting, sadly that may be 9pm. I think for me I will stick to shrimp, bacon (that's not meat is it?), ground chicken & eggs, with lots of veggies and a little fruit (at 2 meals). I will post this on the food critique page and see what they say....I need to find a little more peace in my eating but I do want to be compliant...so Moderators, fire away, I can take it!

Abynn - Great info, thank you so much.

This is not a fun day.  My tummy is complaining now and for a little bit this afternoon I was afraid I wasn't going to make it through the afternoon (at work, no question of sticking to the food).  But I'm doing a bit better this afternoon.  Looking forward to clicking the button this evening saying I made it.  

I have a quick/easy dinner planned for tonight, but need to do something about lunch tomorrow so I'll be hitting the store tonight.

Mum-bum-- we need to keep reminding ourselves and each other that if we can hold on for an hour or so, the bad feeling usually passes.

Make sure you have a plan when you go to the store -- browsing can be dangerous when you're not at your strongest.   I'll look forward to hearing tomorrow that your day 3 was successful!

I would very much like to post a picture of my fabulous dinner in the sense of - if I can do this, so can you!  I'm having some challenges with it - are photos discouraged in the forum? I don't want to be a rule breaker right out of the box!

Hey. Wow, can we say crash and burn? Ate breakfast an hour after saying I would because I was not motivated enough to eat. Seems I should have added in some more fat or maybe fruit. Hubby and I went to the Chiro and then to a local organic store. We were to make 2 stops on the way home, but I asked to go home because I felt very week. Now, last time I did not have this happen, so it caught me off guard. I crashed for almost 3 hours. I just woke and am eating chili with avocados and a side of jicama apple slaw. Hoping tomorrow allows me to 1) stay awake all day, and 2) eat more than twice...I expect in a few hours I will have a small meal, but I am pretty darn full now.

Bacon...yum. can someone share where you are finding complaint bacon and the brand. Thank you.

Abbyn - Thank you so much for the great info. Yes I do get the emails. It made a ton of sense and I am hanging in there. I think it has gotten a little worse. I am lethargic and foggy and I have the stomach rumblings which makes me not fit to be in public. 

Here's one thing though, this food tastes great. I just ate dinner and that plate was full, baked Tilapia, fresh green beans, and sweet potatoes and I almost couldn't finish it. Boy it was yummy. Real food is the real deal. There is a definite difference in the flavor. 

This group is the poop! lol  Great rhyme, huh?

We made 1/.10 of the program! Haha. That helps me somehow.   

Hey. Wow, can we say crash and burn? Ate breakfast an hour after saying I would because I was not motivated enough to eat. Seems I should have added in some more fat or maybe fruit. Hubby and I went to the Chiro and then to a local organic store. We were to make 2 stops on the way home, but I asked to go home because I felt very week. Now, last time I did not have this happen, so it caught me off guard. I crashed for almost 3 hours. I just woke and am eating chili with avocados and a side of jicama apple slaw. Hoping tomorrow allows me to 1) stay awake all day, and 2) eat more than twice...I expect in a few hours I will have a small meal, but I am pretty darn full now.

Bacon...yum. can someone share where you are finding complaint bacon and the brand. Thank you.

I too am so lethargic. I hear ya! I found the bacon at Publix. You have to be careful though because they have a few different kinds. This was Publix brand that says No Sugar Added but it also is not sugar cured. You still have to read the label because they have another one that says the same thing and it IS sugar cured. What is jicama apple slaw? 

Oh, I just thought you might not have Publix where you are, hope so. 

Hi everyone! It's late morning here in New Zealand and day 4 for me.  I woke up with a headache and it's still lingering.  I suppose it's a sugar/carb withdrawl I'm experiencing.  My energy levels were fantastic the first two days.  I might have pushed it yesterday and did two workouts - weights in the morning and ran at night.  Just feeling a little more blah today. I think an easy yoga class and massage would be a nice way to end the day. 

Sending good vibes to everyone and hoping these headaches go away soon! 

Jenn - I buy a brand called Gwaltney, it might be local. I found one that was sugar free but was terribly salty. They had another sugar free with much less salt.

I went to my youngest son's 8th grade graduation today and then family and friends all went to a Greek restaurant to celebrate. I had a water and waited until I got home and then I made a fantastic tuna salad with my homemade mayo....terrific. Then...................I felt dizzy! This happened the first time I went thru the W30 program and only lasted a couple days. I felt like I was out of gas and layed down for a few minutes. I woke up three hours later.....................I think I time traveled! So, it appears I might be part human after all. Hope everyone is doing well. I hear some are cranky, hungry, sad, mad....................sounds like you are doing the program correctly! This is a temporary condition for a lifestyle change. YOU ARE GOING TO BE FINE! DO NOT QUIT ON YOURSELF! Pain is temporary! We all have faith that YOU are going to be the most successful one in the group!

Dave

I would like some suggestions for breakfast besides eggs. Up until now I was a protein smoothie or oatmeal gal, and I admit I miss them. An d it seems so weird eating so much beef & chicken....you know, especially when I've been used to the meatless meals with all the things I'm trying avoid.

So what are you eating at meal #1?

I eat chicken or turkey or left overs, even compliant-chicken sausage is pretty awesome for Meal 1. It is liberating to step out of the "breakfast" box and have what you would like to for breakfast. I get pretty weird stares but I like grilled chicken, broccoli and sweet potatoes for Meal 1. You can also do a ground turkey hash with a starchy vegetable and greens, maybe even some carrots.

Are you motivated? 
Sir yes sir 
Are you dedicated? 
Sir yes sir 
How motivated dedicated are you? 
Motivated motivated downright dedicated 
You check us out you check us out what? 

Motivated motivated downright dedicated

Dave, I have seen that name, but we are outside the sales area. I must have seen it traveling.

Sandy, sadly Publix has no intent to expand to the area--I tried to convince them it would be a smart move over a year ago... they were having none of it.

I made my own s-f corned beef in Jan. I may have to find a recipe and buy some pork bellie...

My shopping options are Kroger--with limited choices, Walmart--now importing organics from China, a little place for organic veggies, or traveling an hour to Whole Foods--can't really afford their prices. My CSA did start up again, and I pick up Saturday. My veggies are always, thankfully, bountiful and organic. I am looking into buying a 1/2 cow so my meat will be good--just have to figure out how to store it. Will get the bones and organs. It is grass raised and finished--- from my local farmer. Of course, I need to still buy poultry and fish. Lots of problem solving to do.

Legallygoofy - I am right there with ya in regard to making cookies several times a week.  I usually baked 1-2 times a week because I loved the dough, enjoyed making homemade cookies/cakes for my family, and also sharing what I bake at work.  It was a stress releaser for me.  Something I could start and finish and be totally in charge of.  I really miss it!!!  I have to admit that often times I would get a headache from eating the dough.  My guess is from the sugar.  I decided that since I can't do that for Whole30 I will fill that time reading everyone's great posts, going outside, making phone calls, etc.  Anything to get out of the kitchen!

Archived