9 June Start

dcducks1

Alright W30 veterans,

I'm not having all of the terrible things that the timeline says I will have.  I have only had a slight headache and the noticeable change is I am super thirsty.  I can't seem to get enough water.  Not that I'm complaining but I question at times if I am doing something wrong.  Anyone else have any advice or have gone through similar scenarios?

@MyKidsBF, I have gone through phases of being super thirsty too. I think it depends a lot on what your diet was like before, which relates to how much shock your body is in during the transition, and how well you stack your W30 meals with the right amount of fats etc. I think the timeline is the worst case scenario.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darling Sadie, 

Welcome. Anyone with a great attitude, a caring style and the ability not to get tired when you hear what Dave does in a day, is welcome!

Sounds like you're on the right track with your eating. I've done every diet known to man and I'm still not quite the master of my sugar demon. Sadly, I think for me...I need to give up fruit for a couple of days just to get the cravings down.

You'll be feeling good here soon.

M

Sadie - we took a quick vote and you are officially part of team 6/9! Glad to have you onboard, feel free to have fun, discuss, ask questions, and be successful! We have waived the $5000 membership fee for this month.........

Dave

Mykidsbiggest fan - I am sorry to hear that you are not having all of the common symptoms usually associated with the program. Let me tell you what you are missing....dizzyness, stomach pain, diarhea, bad gas, bloating, unquenchable thirst, moodiness, hunger pangs, low self confidence, restless sleep, dry skin, chapped lips, queeziness..etc! I hope you get all of these in the next few days! hahahahaha....just kidding! I'm glad to hear you are sailing thru this. Keep your guard up so that nothing sneaks up on you. The first time I went thru I couldn't believe how thirsty I was......just couldn't quench it. It eventually went away after about a week. Hang in there!

Dave

Sadie, welcome! I was a seasoned WW girl, too!

When I was learning about Whole 30, I was pretty surprised about what was on the "compliant" list.

I said to my friend, "WHAT IF A WANT TO EAT 12 BANANAS? WHAT THEN?"

He looked at me like I had 3 heads and said, "Your body should be giving you cues to stop before 12." 

How crazy is my thinking?  I'm glad to report I have not consumed, or wished to consume 12 bananas on this journey!

I made it home with all my goodies and I forgot who told me to 'bulletproof' my coffee but thanks! I think I can palette it now. I did score a few more things I needed...balsamic vinegar (with naturally occurring sulphites), coconut oil, an immersion blender, and some great roasts. In fact one is cooking now smelling up the house. hmmmm

Rosann        Maybe you could ask if they have a 'catch of the day' fish. Hang tough! I get the emails everyday and it was just about this topic. There were so many good suggestions on how to navigate every social situation. A couple were eat first before you go, bring a little stash of your own, just in case they have absolutely nothing you can eat. Good luck. May the group be with you!

MamaMiki     You have had some trials already. Congrats on a compliant birthday!!!

Deb             You are a rock star!  All the good info you share and I love all the recipes!

Dave           Thanks Obi Wan! I will definitely keep that in mind to be aware for when the sugar cravings come. I knew it was wishful             thinking that they could be gone.

A big welcome to Sadie! This is a great group. We have it all...goofballs, intellects, and everything in between! I'm glad you jumped in! 

~Sandy

Hello everybody!

I'm jumping in after a few days of lurking reading the forum, and hoping I have something to add to what seems like a great source of support with everyday normal people like me.   I am 45, mom to 2, a former workaholic now doing harder work at home  ;) who reached that point where I just felt bad and couldn't stand to look in the mirror.  Know all the arguments for not living the life I've led but couldn't bring myself to turn it around.  Until this month.  Somehow ended up on the Whole30 website end of May and here I am in my first Whole30 month.  A bit overwhelmed but happy to finally have a plan.

Love that the sugar cravings are gone already!  Have done the walk through Costco seeing what I could buy and had to return a lot to the shelf (more like pile there.)  Spent a mini-fortune at Whole Foods (we nicknamed 'whole paycheck' at work) and have a fridge full of good stuff.  Made ghee because I didn't really love coconut oil.  

Headaches are intense - wow!  Trying so hard to like coffee black and not doing so well. I bought Trader Joe's new cold brew coffee concentrate and blended with water and then heated in microwave and it's definitely better than what I had been trying.  Probably not necessary to blend, but my Vitamix has been sitting unused and lonely on the counter, and it did make it a lovely lighter color.   I'm all about the visuals of food! 

Thanks for letting me join -

Anna

CC, some people just don't get it, do they? There have been times I would have done just about anything to get to eat 12 bananas. Or 12 of just about anything other than baby carrots, 12 slices of  whole fat cheese would be grand!

But am happy to report that I haven't missed my cheese or yogart yet - let's give it another week and we'll talk ---

Welcome Anna, You and Deb and your food...pictures (there's another word we're afraid to use on here for feel we'll get in trouble) will get along well. 

I saw that coffee at trader joes...I may try that. Traders has Ghee, have you seen it? on shelf my NO NO Almond butter (NO NO is for me personally).

Trader Joes has so many compliant items that are not as pricey as whole foods, but I'm addicted to the hot wing sauce at Whole foods...and the Pederson sugar free bacon.

Can we make a mock broccoli salad with raisins, raw cashews, our mayo, bacon, red onion and brocolli? My question is the raisins I guess...man that sounds SO GOOD.

Miki

Ahhhhh, had creepy dreams, slept through my alarm, missed the darn yoga class, ate two chicken drumsticks while standing at the kitchen counter for breakfast, but did manage to make the creamed kale and get to work semi on time.  Some days ya do better than others! Miki dried fruit is compliant but with caution as its so sugar dense (and be sure no added sugar - cranberries in particular fall victim to the added sugar, have seen this at Trader Joes). Dates, those things are like candy. And SO GOOD!

Welcome Sadie and Anna! Dave thanks, I thought you'd like the exotic starch day being the sailor that you are. Higs, if I can just inspire one person on one day...!! Sandy that roast sounds amazing! Happy Friday to all. 

Welcome Sadie & Anna. This is most definitely the right place to be.

Someone mentioned being really thirsty--and that made me sit up and take notice. I thought it was my imagination. Thankfully, it's easy to fix and it's compliant!

I still feel "off beat". Not that I was really on beat :)

I'm also thankful I didn't have to pay the $5000 membership fee Dave requires. What a relief.

Haha I remember the food dreams! I haven't had any this round, but I'm sure I still will! 

Ok guys, I've got my cooler ready to go for our 11 hour road trip tomorrow: scrambled eggs with veg for breakfast (will eat before we leave), salads with avocado, hb eggs, tomatoes, and balsamic vinaigrette for lunch, and paleomg's pizza spaghetti (squash) casserole (frozen, will heat up when we arrive). Pennsylvania, here we come! 

I went to Walmart (I never shop there!) and found individual packs of compliant guacamole, so those will be great to have with me when I'm traveling. I also found: compliant proscuitto, plantain chips (these can be a food without brakes for me, but the more stuff I have with me the more prepared I'll be to fend off pizza and cheesesteaks!), organic field greens, and compliant organic tomato sauce! It was a good lesson for me because I'd never have thought you could survive on Whole30 unless you lived near a Whole Foods.

Welcome to all the newcomers! 

I'm........not hungry tonight! Kind of just bored with everything! I had some tuna fish with my homemade mayo......and Tazo. I need to polish the car tonight, going to a car show with my boys tomorrow and a Veteran's home to cheer some great people up and talk military. Actually, I will keep quiet and just listen to them. It will be a great lesson for my kids too.

Sunday is Father's day and I should receive gifts from my boys........and the many children that I haven't met yet (woman in every port ring a bell?). I think we are taking the boat out and will also take the dogs and head for our favorite island to goof off all day. I will probably eat sand and jellyfish (both are compliant) and drink plenty of water. Have a great night.

Dave

What a perfect Day Dave. You really set a great example! Honoring yourself, eating healthy, giving back to those who are deserving...and guy time. Not all kids get that from their dads...your kids are lucky indeed...and so are we  "HAPPY FATHER'S DAY".

My coconut creamed kale was pretty good. If you like that kinda thing ;-)

So tomorrow's ingredient of the day is super flexible, healthy and amaze.

It is – GROUND TURKEY!!!

Here's a recipe round up:

Thai Pork and Turkey Meatballs

http://paleomg.com/thai-pork-veggie-meatballs/

Ground Turkey and Spinach Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

http://paleomg.com/clean-it-up-mondays-turkey-and-spinach-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/

Sweet Potato Spinach Bacon Burgers

http://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/2014/02/12/sweet-potato-spinach-bacon-burgers/

(make sure mustard is compliant)

Sweet Turkey Apple Sausages MY PICK!

http://leafparade.com/2013/09/16/sweet-apple-turkey-sausages/

Ground Turkey Shepherd's Pie with Cauli Crust

http://www.suesnutritionbuzz.com/2013/08/06/spiced-up-turkey-shepherds-pie-with-cauliflower-crust-for-weekdaysupper/

Happy Turkey Day!

A few of us decided it would be fun to declare an ingredient of the day each day of the W30 just for some creative inspiration. There's no pressure at all to participate, just something fun to think about to mix things up a bit!  We all know that some days all we can do is get through with compliance and don't want to think about anything extra so again, no pressure, only if it feels fun. And of course report your thoughts/findings/recipes and eatings back to the group so we can inspire each other with new and yummy ways to use compliant ingredients.

Here are the remaining ingredients of the day (IODs) for this first week:
 Sat - Ground turkey

Sun - Olives

And here they are for next week: 

Mon Cauliflower

Tue  Nuts! 

Wed Bacon (or prosciutto)

Thu  Ground beef 

Fri   Cherries 'n berries

Sat  Plaintains/yucca/taro/hearts of palm (exotic starch day)

Sun  Zucchini 

Sadie -- Welcome.  Newcomers/latecomers welcome.  Hope this help with your energy, health, strength.  I can't imagine that it won't.

Miki -- Did better than expected at the restaurant.  Red Lobster -- never would've been my choice, but whatever.  Had a plain salad (brought my own thinned down mayo with lots of fresh crushed pepper), grilled tilapia (was assured it would be grilled plain and it seemed to be) and some steamed broccoli plain.  I brought ghee with me as well and put some on the fish and broccoli.   Tasted very good and I wasn't tempted for the cheese rolls.  The cheesecake one friend had -- that was another story on the tempted part. She offered to not get it, but I wasn't feeling too shaky, so it really didn't bother me.  It did look pretty good, though.  :)

My fruit "problem" is frozen grapes.  I might have between 5 to 10 each time, but I grab them maybe 4-6 times per day.  I know if it's true hunger we should opt for protein and fat, but sometimes I need sweet to quash the cravings.  I'm working on it, but not kicking myself too hard about it. 

Dave --- Ummmmm, clementines. Love those. Haven't thought about them in awhile.  Lovely little things, aren't they?

Yea for a successful day 5. 

Sandy -- Thanks for the thoughts about the catch of the day.  That is sort of what I did.  I am probably overly cautious because I CANNOT imagine starting over.  Should've seen my checking out the fish after they served it.  I stared at for a few minutes, picked it up and looked underneath, smelled it, ran my finger over it and tasted it just in case there was something "bad" on it.  Tasted just plain.  Topped it with my ghee, some salt and pepper.  Good to go.    Now I'm not afraid of restaurants.  I had a little container in my purse with 3 smaller containers - ghee, thinned mayo for a dressing, and homemade ketchup.  Didn't need the ketchup, but used the other two.  I was discreet, but not overly secretive and it wasn't a problem. After all, I didn't bring food -- just my special toppings.  I'm ready to go now ---- lemme at'em. 

Today was the first day I felt really fatigued all day.  Too tired to cook tonight (alas, kale, I hardly knew ye!) so I had a compliant pork sausage and apple sauce.  Not the best meal, but I stuck to the plan.  It's OK, I had a huge pile of various vegetables for lunch with a leftover lamb burger.

Early to bed for me since I'm going hiking tomorrow and have to figure out what food to pack with me since it ain't going to be wasa crackers and peanut butter.  Maybe nut butter and apples?  And proscuitto!

Keep it up, everyone!

Oh, my goodness!!  We're back.  Today has been my worst day by far and this site hasn't been working - that only multiplied everything.  I had hoped to log in and find lots of new posts, but I guess the problem here hasn't just been with my server.  SOOOOOO good to be back.  I'm not a chat/support group type person -- or so I thought.  This morning I noticed that the website for my business isn't opening in the correct format and it looks terrible -- really bad.  That's not soooo bad except that I just did my biggest promotional event Friday and I've been getting a lot of new hits and I'm bummed that it doesn't look right.  GRRRRRR......  Have to wait until Monday to "chat" with my free web master to see what's up.  That plus not being able to be here has made this day stressful.    I've not cheated, but I did take a 3 hour nap just to make the day go away.  

Sorry for the venting - I'm better now. 

How are ya'll?  I will be back in an hour or so and see who's figured out that it's working again.  Happy day 6 everyone.  It's mostly done.

Archived