9 June Start

dcducks1

Beets!!! I ate 'em today. I grew up with very vinegary and sweet canned pickled beets - on everything  - including hamburgers - so that's really my beet fantasy. Today I had a beet/apple and mint salad which was pretty nice with coconut milk chicken drumsticks (that's another story - had to get up at 1.30am to turn the slow cooker off ! #obsessedwiththeslowcooker)

Tomorrow's ingredient is - the super trendy ingredient of the year for the past few years -  KALE!!!!!

I've managed to eat a fair amount of kale recently and found it delicious (although confession green veggies are not my fave). I think one of the tricks to a good kale salad is to massage the leaves, yep you heard me, give it some lovin' ! There are tons of great recipes out there that include this hardy healthy green both raw and cooked. 

Anyways, here are some recipes for inspiration:

Massaged Kale Salad!

http://www.insonnetskitchen.com/how-to-make-massaged-kale-salad/

Kale Chips - I think a moderator might say - make sure to eat with your main meal? (just in case it encourages non stop snacking)

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2648091289/baked-kale-chips

Sauteed Kale and Bacon

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3082537932/quick-and-simple-stir-fried-kale-and-bacon

I'm so making this - Creamed Kale! Made with coconut milk

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/vegan-creamed-kale/

This sounds healing and lovely Chicken/Lemon/Kale Soup

http://aiplifestyle.com/creamy-crockpot-lemon-chicken-kale-soup/

Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash and Kale

http://deliciouslyorganic.net/chicken-stew-butternut-squash-kale-gaps-paleo-grain-free/

ALL HAIL KALE!

Scroll to the end for a sneak peek at next week's ingredients of the day!

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

For those of you just catching up, a few of us decided it would be fun to declare an ingredient of the day each day of the W30 just for some creative inspiration. There's no pressure at all to participate, just something fun to think about to mix things up a bit!  We all know that some days all we can do is get through with compliance and don't want to think about anything extra so again, no pressure, only if it feels fun. And of course report your thoughts/findings/recipes and eatings back to the group so we can inspire each other with new and yummy ways to use compliant ingredients.

Here are the ingredients of the day (IODs) for this first week:

Mon - Sweet Potato

Tue - Chicken Breast

Wed - Red Cabbage

Thu - Beets

Fri - Kale

Sat - Ground turkey

Sun - Olives

And...I know you've all been waiting for this - here's a sneak peek at next week's IODs. Yes, I'm just busting out with it. 

Mon Cauliflower

Tue  Nuts! 

Wed Bacon (or prosciutto)

Thu  Ground beef 

Fri   Cherries 'n berries

Sat  Plaintains/yucca/taro/hearts of palm (exotic starch day)

Sun  Zucchini 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CCLaymon- I wondered about this too, this is the best I can come up with:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/18135-adding-photos-to-my-posts-not-changing-my-profile-picture/

Jenn, very sorry for your loss. 

Duke, keep safe! We are thinking of you!

This round is going so much better for me and I feel great! BUT I'm leaving for a trip to visit my husband's family for a week and am terribly nervous about it. I've already explained my whole30 to one set of in-laws, one more to go. I feel rude/self-centered/like a princess/difficult for eating this way while staying at someone's house. I plan to buy groceries and cook my own meals, but even that feels like it will be hurtful. I sort of shared this on another thread, but I also feel like no matter what, I'll be disappointed with my week, even if I stay compliant. If I eat too many nuts/too much fruit/skip protein at breakfast/not enough veggies, I'll feel like I didn't do a good enough job. I wish my eating habits weren't so all or nothing. My worst day of eating on whole30 is far better than my best day of eating when I'm not doing a whole30. 

I'd like to ask my husband to drive a couple hours out of the way so we can stop at a Chipotle for lunch, but I guess I'd better just pack a huge cooler instead.  ;)

I'm so crazy proud of my mom, who also started 6/9, and is going strong after a rough day yesterday! She's given up diet coke to do this, which is huge! I hope these next 26 days make her feel amazing.

Have a good night, everyone.

CClaymon - have a great time in Maryland and don't worry about our crab cakes, there is plenty of compliant seafood here. Don't fret over trips, if you thinks it will be tough...IT WILL! Mind over matter. If its not on your mind......IT DONT MATTER! I tried several different ways to put a pic in and couldn't figure it out. I will keep trying until I crash the website.

Jenn - So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you and your family find the peace and comfort you need during this trying time. It would be wonderful if you could stay with the group but I understand if you can't. Even if you can't do a compliant program at this time, feel free to stay with the group for encouragement, meal ideas, advice, and the support that you and your family probably need at this time. Prayers with you and the family!

Dave

P.S. I'm about 12 years away from having a hungry teenager (wow, that actually seems kind of soon...), but I pretty much stopped buying junk/snack food for my husband- and if he wants something snack-y now I make him popcorn on the stove. I like it every now and then but it doesn't kill me to smell it while I'm on a whole30, and because you have to make it, it doesn't haunt me as it sits in our pantry, the way, say, oreos would. 

Plus it's super versatile! My sister mixes buffalo sauce into butter before tossing it, I make kettle corn sometimes, and there's loads of other ideas for flavoring out there (including BACON). Hope this helps. Hope my baby never grows up. JK. Kind of.

abbyn - with little kids......don't blink! I did and my boys are now 14, 15, and 19. It goes quick!

I was at work today and one of my coworkers is morbidly obese. We were talking and the subject of weight loss came up and he was asking me what I was doing to make the weight come off. I told him about the program and that I had lost 34 pounds since January! He said, "me losing 34 pounds would be like the Titanic losing a deck chair!" and laughed. Although it was a humorous analogy, I told him that it would be a start in the right direction. I didn't want to be too stern, but I told him that he was barely 30 years old and with his health and eating habits, he would be lucky to see 40. He explained he had always been a bad eater and heavy. I told him that it could be just as easy to say one day, "I USED to be a bad eater and heavy!" He asked me to help him get ready to start by the end of August. He's in!

Keep the faith everyone. We are moving in a great direction with so many benefits in our very near future.

Dave

Deb! I love that you are sharing daily ingredient ideas. I may not do ALL of them, but I've been having fun working with them when I can. And it will really come I'm handy when all this food prep gets challenging.

CCLaymon: me too. I was feeling like I was feeling a little TOO good for this early on. This afternoon I got very, very sleepy but had a marathon work day and no time to nap. Early to bed for me tonight.

Jenn: so, so sorry for your loss. I agree with Dave to stay with or rejoin the group if/when you are able.

Day 4 just about in the bag here!

So this has been one crazy half hectic, half dead day! I thought I started out great until I got busy sat down to take a break and woke up 3 hours later! I did not get any shopping done and almost blew it. I was just looking at a can of applesauce thinking there can't be anything wrong with that. Wrong! And I had it opened and all. Lethargy be gone! I must shop in the morning or resort to eating my limbs, but there's probably sugar still in the tissues! 

I am going to be moving and am trying to do this after the whole 30. I'm going to move as close to Myrtle Beach as I can get! 

Going to put this crazy day to bed. Sleep well all! 

Jenn - sorry to hear about your loss.  As you know, the food is just an escape.  It will not make the bad feelings go away.  Whole 30 can be extremely difficult during this time but it can also give you a sense of control and stability.  Just do your best and we will always be here if you want to come back to the group.  You are in my thoughts..  Take care of yourself.

Now that I have completed 4 days, it's time to make my first change and that is the fruit.  I will buy one or two individual pieces of fruit for each day.  No more watermelon because I buy 1/4 watermelon and I eat the whole thing in one day or one sitting - that is not whole 30; that is whole Laurie.

So it is early and I am getting ready to do the shopping I was going to do yesterday. Hopefully I don't pass out in the produce. lol Here is one thing I have noticed, and this is no small thing, I am NOT CRAVING SWEETS. Where did that go? Well I don't care but thank God!!! I hope this is not temporary. Is that what happens when we eat decent food? Just that alone is worth doing this program for me. 

Have a wonderful day all and I am so grateful for all your posts!!! I love this forum!

Well, due to a death in the family I am going to leave this group. I will be staying as W30 as possible, but given the upcoming viewing and funeral, staying compliant is not possible. If you have ever been to a southern funeral you will understand.

Hubby hadn't started as I thought, and had already planned to start Monday. This will give me time to menu plan and shop as well.

Right now, all I want is soda and chocolate. If I was farther along in this journey I might be able to resist more, but I am doing good not to curl into a weeping ball.

Connie was hubby's uncle'svelte on his dad's side. She was one of the first to welcome me into the family. She was well loved and will be missed.

Good luck to all.

So sorry for your loss. My family is from Texas so I know what a southern funeral is like and you are right. It would be next to impossible to stay compliant. I hope you stay around though and chime in as much as you can. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this tough time. 

Lots of up and downs here yesterday.  My internet is down so getting here is tough. I love all of the support and encouragement here.  I'm not having too tough a time.  I have to be mindful and that makes food always on my mind, but so far it's not that bad.  Occasional headaches/crankiness/starvation/deprivation.  Other than that, all is well!  LOL    Seriously, as long as I keep a reasonable balance of fat/protein I'm feeling alright. 

I am, however, meeting the gals for dinner tonight.  Been thinking about what to order - other than a naked salad and plain sweet potato.  I will bring ghee with me and hope for some plain steamed veges.  Do you think hamburger (plain) is alright?  Even if you ask you never really know what's in 'em.  Bacon more than likely has sugar in it.  I know they inject all sorts of bacteria into beef and chicken to make it tender (unless we go to an upscale restaurant -- which I'm sure we won't).  So, any ideas for a Chili's type restaurant?  

Good day to all of my fellow compliant folk. 

Rosann- play it safe and get a very tame salad and a steak that is not marinated. Maybe you could sneak in your own salad dressing?

Sandy - glad you are not craving sweets, but there will be other days when the temptations will be stronger. Use the good days (now) to mentally strengthen yourslef for when they occur.  

Deb -  I am onboard for most of your list next week. These are great suggestions - very clever girl!

Dave

New things I've discovered today:

1) The dreams about eating non-compliant food have started for me last night.  Stress!  Guilt!

2) Advil is compliant.  Thank goodness, I need some today.

3) Black coffee is actually starting to taste good.

Good luck on Day 5, everyone!

Good Morning 6/9ers,

Higs, the dreams...they make me obsess. I actually like my coffee black know, I never would have guessed that. I'm not using any NSAIDS (advil) as a psuedo AI W30.

Rosann, I look forward to hearing how you do at  the restaurant. I'm a chicken, so I call the restaurant ahead and ask all my questions, if I order a steak, hamburger, can I get it plain, what does the chef mix in the hamburger, what spices do they use, would they refrain from using spices. My fallback is shrimp...if it's a louie...I thing you're good, if it's grilled (same questions).

Sandy, as long as I'm compliant (3 days or so, anytime) the personal cravings do disappear unless I get too fruit crazy. It is a wonderful.

CCLaymon - I hope today is a better day for you!

Laurie, I too am having a tough time with portion control on fruit (nuts or nut butter too). DAVE - do you eat fruit? or just steak and cashews?

Abbyn - my babies are 17 and 23...each age is amazing...what a blessing kids are.

Deb - like your list. I will replace ground beef with ground chicken (I feel a taco salad coming on) and the only way I eat zucchini is DEFINITELY not compliant, so I'll have to augment that too.

Make it a great day kids!

MamaMiki

Good Morning, my name is Sadie and I started my first Whole 30 on June 9th. Yesterday I was looking around for support and what to expect, etc and fould this forum. I was hoping it would be okay if I join ya'll.

Short background: I had never heard the word paleo until a few weeks ago, but in April after 5 days in bed sick and with not much help from doctors other than take this pill (I was given 8 RX during all this) - I got on the internet and started trying to figure out what I could do to heal myself, I knew I didn't plan to take all those meds long term - and I found Whole 30 - ordered ISWF, read it, bought 3 cookbooks and here I am.

Staying compliant has been fairly easy so far but after several years of living Weight Watchers, it's nice not counting points and weighting everything and I can eat a whole avacado in one sitting if I want too :)

I feel pretty lousy but thats just more of the same for me, can't wait for the no headache, energy week!!

I haven't read all of ya'lls posts but hope if you let me join in, I will get to know you all soon.

MamaMiki - nuts/nut butter are also problem foods for me.  I haven't bought any nut butter yet  and I've been fairly good with the nuts.  I've had one serving size of almonds (according to the label - that's 24 almonds) every day.  The almonds are not a permanent in my apartment.  My boyfriend has almonds at his place so I ask him to bring them to me.  I don't want to be too piggy so I just count out  my 24. However, in the past I have had no control with nuts.

I love how everyone is so open, honest and support! 

Sadie, welcome! This is my first official Whole30 too. You've found an awesome group here -- a great mix of people with lots of experience all the way to us newbies on the other end of the spectrum. I have found it so helpful to connect with this group every day. Yay team 6/9!

My kids biggest fan - welcome to the group. We are here to help you become healthier and eat smarter. Never regret who or what you are or what you have become (large or small), at one time (two days ago) you were ok with it. Today, however, is the second day of a life changing program to make you feel better, relieve the aches and pains, and lose the weight. Unfortunately, you might have to change your screen name to "My kids smaller fan"! ;) Good luck and stick with us!

Dave

Thanks Dave!  I'm looking forward to this journey.  I appreciate all the support this group gives.  Thanks everyone!

Alright W30 veterans,

I'm not having all of the terrible things that the timeline says I will have.  I have only had a slight headache and the noticeable change is I am super thirsty.  I can't seem to get enough water.  Not that I'm complaining but I question at times if I am doing something wrong.  Anyone else have any advice or have gone through similar scenarios?

MamaMiki - nuts/nut butter are also problem foods for me.  I haven't bought any nut butter yet  and I've been fairly good with the nuts.  I've had one serving size of almonds (according to the label - that's 24 almonds) every day.  The almonds are not a permanent in my apartment.  My boyfriend has almonds at his place so I ask him to bring them to me.  I don't want to be too piggy so I just count out  my 24. However, in the past I have had no control with nuts.

I love how everyone is so open, honest and support! 

Archived