9 June Start

dcducks1

Can you tell us how or if we can post pics? Some of us have tried but as yet no one has succeeded.

Here are the steps, courtesy of Robin Strathdee:

1. Choose "More Reply Options"
2. At the bottom left, choose Attach Files
3. Navigate to the file
4. Select Attach This File (below Attach Files)
5. Above Attach Files, you should see a thumbnail of your photo. Underneath it, select Add to Post.
6. Some text will appear in your post. Then, when you hit post. Voila!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 7 down :D. Another disastrous attempt at a run before work, at least I tried :D.

After a long day at work I got lazy and had some left over steak. It's now time to admit I am the worlds worst steak cook, no wonder I normally never cook it lol.

Deb C- thanks for the recipes they look amazing! I have this one on my to try list as well http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/03/08/indian-pineapple-cauliflower-rice/

CCLaymon- I look forward to your review. I hope there is not yummy non compliant catering where you will be!

Rosann23- okay now I have to ask do you have a sneaky cape hidden there. I am rapidly becoming convinced you are wonder woman with all the cooking and organising you have managed in such a busy life.

Okay, off to check if the children are sleeping and put some washing away!

Good Morning Everyone.  Hope you are all going strong or at least just surviving the process. 

I am not a runner but I'm working on walking/running on the treadmill.  Have been doing an exercise challenge for the last 6 months with a group of women to keep us accountable.  The last week of this challenge is to complete 26.2 miles - we can accomplish this though with any type of exercise - walk, run, bike, swim.  I'll be walking outside or doing a walk/run combination on the treadmill.  This morning I did 7.6 miles on the treadmill.  My body is really feeling it.  This was a lot for me. 

Goal for my week - drink more water (which I will need to get through my miles), keep fruit at 2 pieces a day, limit nut consumption to 2 - 3 days (of course, that does not mean a free for all on those days), complete 26.2 miles for my exercise challenge.   

Be back later to see how all of you are doing.

What part of Florida do the Florida people live in?  I'm also from Florida - Delray Beach.

Happy Day 8 6/9ers!

Yesterday I went on an adventure to a local organic farm.  I need to get my head around the fact that I am saving a ton of money not buying junk food/diet coke/froofy coffee, so I can not freak out at the high expense of good protein. In my estimation, 1pound of organic meet = 1 bar of gold, LOL!

I wanted to post a question to the group.  Next Friday-Sunday I will be in a class from 9am-10pm.  There is one lunch break at 6pm. Otherwise there are just a couple of 10-15 minute breaks.  There is no catering, so I will be packing a cooler for the hubs and me. I already ordered the YAWP bars.  However, I really need to figure out a FAST noon time meal as well as an evening meal that is compliant, and doesn't need to be cooked. I'm going to dig in on it this week, but if you have success stories or recommendations or websites to share, I would be grateful.

I'm attaching a picture of the eggplant stacks I made last week (Nom Nom Paleo) which was the best meal I've made so far.  I highly recommend it! (PS - I'm not a cook, so that shows you how easy it was!)

Have a great day!

post-46802-0-91147700-1402925248_thumb.j

Good Morning 6/9ers,

Okay Rosann, I apologize for saying "Dave Who?". I'm sure he'll post in a few and tell us about his family adventure, was it on an island? Well, with the  boat. I'm sure he got up at 2 am on Father's day and painted the boat, Made homemade bread for sandwiches for a picnic basket he put together. That man definitely got my allotment of energy in the world... ;) I do kinda miss him, but don't tell him I said that.

Cara, Good One about the kids putting the laundry away, that made me laugh. I was cooking all day yesterday (my son is actually trying to put on weight...) making a whole shelf of non-compliant food and a shelf of compliant food. The younger son is going to have to steal some of his brother's food. I did make the mayo and it is amazing. I had it with grilled chicken breast. Today I'll have a chicken breast salad with bacon, avocado and olive oil. Still haven't attempted the tahini dressing of Debs...but that is next...

Hey Laurie, I went to Florida for the first time this spring (Hobe Sound). The trip was a bit understated to say the least, but I enjoyed the little bit I saw.

Rosann...you're up there in the Dave book for me. How was it serving pasta last night. I really like the idea of going to Rome, although I kind of have my heart set on "under the Tuscan sun".

I wanted to exercise yesterday, but I used cooking as an excuse, but as you all know, excepting Dave and Rosann, if you're not used to it, it kind of wears you out. I have to say though, I'm getting better at it.

Make it a great day. I'll be checking on all of you to see what you're up to.

Miki

Dave WHO is here...sort of. Pretty good weekend except being locked out of the W30 forum for a day or two. I hand waxed the boat and the '66 Comet Friday night. Took two of my boys and my dog to our first car show....and WON 2nd place! Holy crap! The weekend started going down hill from there. My son celebrated his birthday with some friends (five girls) and I set up his bonfire, pizzas, etc. Got very tired Saturday evening and wasn't feeling well. Woke up sick as a dog, chest and head congestion, sore throat....Happy Father's day! Took a hot shower, sucked it up and got the boat ready for a day out to Shark's Tooth island. Took all three boys, wife, both dogs, tons of food, umbrellas, chairs, everything needed for an afternoon of fun. I FELT LIKE CRAP! And to make things worse.....my lower back/ kidneys started hurting. Found a comfortable way to lay and rested for awhile. Could have done a better job on the sunscreen in a couple areas that are tender today. Got home and cleaned the boat, put everything away....boys helped (rare) probably because it was Father's Day. Took a hot shower to try and clear out some congestion. Grilled steaks for the family......self medicated......took another shower......applied aloe to sunburn.....went to bed early! Woke up with sinus infection.....went to work anyway. Trying to get doctor's appointment today. I didn't eat much over the weekend since I can't smell anything and just dont feel good. Had shrimp one night.....a salad or two over the weekend.....some chicken breast or something......a dead cat......I dont know what i ate really but it was all compliant...maybe not the cat....not sure! Could really go for a shot of moonshine or scotch right now to "burn" the congestion out of me. I guess I will have to wait another three weeks for that.

Miki - you have now made my "list"!

Dave

Good Morning!!

Today I woke up one hour before my alarm was set to go off.... whats up with that! Last night I was wide awake and not tired at 10pm, this is not my norm.

I was challenged yesterday again, we went to cheesecake factory and I had voices in my head telling me to focus on my plate and not my surroundings. It was tuff to pass the bread basket from my hubby to my son, it smelled as if they had just baked it too. I maintained compliant, I have an image of me trying to squeeze into my jeans, that seems to help.

Deb- Thanks for the great links, I have been wanting to try cauliflower rice.

Rosann- Kahlua pork is yummy, I am not a pork person but am willing to eat kahlua pork.

Higs- I really enjoy this group as well! On Saturday while I was walking through the cinnamon bun place I wanted to log on and scream for help here because I thought I would almost breakdown. I have had several failed attempts to whole 30 and successful one as well and that was due to daily emails and this blog. My failed attempts were when I attempted to do it without the blogging and emails.

Dave- welcome back. Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well, hope you can get in to see your Physician today. Tequila and lime always seems to "cure" my sore throat.

I am noticing my skin is starting to clear up and.. I was able to get off my cysts medication..thats a big one for me!

On to day 8

Gabenick, thanks for the well wishes...I will survive. Nothing gets me down...not even Miki! Congrats on your skin and the removal of meds and for REALIZING that you are feeling some of the perks of the program. You are well on your way to a successful program!

I grilled about 16 steaks yesterday for dinner and leftovers throughout the week. I used the cherry BBQ sauce on some and a dry rub on others. Dry rub is my favorite.

Cara - make sure you start with a good cut of steak that's at least an inch thick. I prefer ribeyes, NY strip or fillet. Use a good dry rub and let the meat sit out and come up to room temperature. A good cut of meat will not need to be tenderized with a tenderizing hammer.

Get the grill hot and place over direct flames for about 1-2 minutes on each side to sear the outside and seal in the juices. Move steaks off of direct heat and place lid back on grill. This is usually when I have a beer or Captain Morgan and Sprite....now I just drink rain water and eat dirt and pine cones. Anyway, flip them every few minutes or so and when you think they are done to your liking, cut into the thickest piece of the steak and check for "doneness". If still to pink (bloody) continue a few more minutes. Do not overcook a good steak. YOU CAN ALWAYS PUT IT BACK ON THE GRILL IF NOT DONE ENOUGH! You CAN NOT "unburn" a steak. Remove steaks from the grill and put on a plate or platter and cover them with foil and let stand for about 5 minutes....they will continue to cook as they sit. Enjoy! You can also cook steaks in a skillet using alittle bit of olive oil to coat the bottom of the skillet.

Laurie - great job on all of the exercising...good for you!

Rosann - I totally started this thread and I get the feeling that Miki is working some kind of coup d'etat......I will not be overthrown by a goat walker!

Dave

Good Morning everyone!

I had a great weekend.  I felt a little bipolar this weekend.  I wake up every morning with so much energy and then about midday I crash and I am exhausted. Almost like I hit a brick wall.  I felt bad because I yelled at my husband on father's day for waking me up.  Oops.  I'll be making that up to him for a while.  I'm glad that I made it through week one without any major conflicts.

I was reading someone's post about the pork and turkey meatballs and it calls for sriracha .  What brand of sriracha is complaint?  I can't find one without sugar.  The same goes for tuna.  Any suggestions?

MKBF - well.......what were you doing sleeping in anyway? Rome wasn't built in a day.......but they didn't work Banker's hours either. Energy in the morning and none in the afternoon sounds like you are not eating right. You need to adjust your fats and proteins. Hopefully a moderator will chime in and get you where you need to be. Google sugar free sriracha and you will find several recipes so you can make it yourself.

Dave

Hello although I am on Day 15 I thought I would jump in, if that's okay.  There was a Forum for people that started 1 June but it's gone??  I have read many of the post and it inspires me.  I had the carbohydrate flu--- couldn't even look at food for a day+ because of nauseousness ( day 6-7)& no desire to eat.  I had to force myself.  Once I past this stage it's been fairly good.  I have had challaging moments where I just want cheese, pizza, a glass of wine!! bread!  But I say how will I feel after I have that? Not good, so I carry on which is not easy but doable.  I have poland springs carbonated water for something that is "cocktail like" with lemon/lime & lots of ice that seems to work.  Weekends are the toughest for me.  I work during the week full time, and I am in a routine.  I noticed there I times I am not hungry at all and make myself eat, then there are days I feel like I can't get enough food (I add a sweet potatoe with ghee).   I had my yearly physical last week Day 10 and my fasting bloodwork was great except for it seems I have a hypothalmis.  I kind of had a mini cry session with my doctor when I was explaining how frustrated I was with my weight and that's when she said perhaps it's not all your fault.  I have to have another blood test next week to confirm the elevation (hypothalmisium) I drove home and said to myself why am I even doing this!  I know we are not suppose to do this for  weightloss but I was hoping for a fair amount of loss by day 30.  I shook that wah wah poor me off.  I can tell my body is changing slightly, small changes but in the right direction.  I know that this is a life time habit I need to incorporate in my eating/attitude pattern.  Of course it will be a version of Whole30 because it's not meant to be a 365 Whole30 program.  I do excersice 4-5 per week. During this I started a class in SUP Yoga!  One, I have never been on a paddleboard & 2 it's been months since I have done yoga.  The 1st 2 classes I was just starting, I noticed the 2nd class my stregth wasn't that great because my energy level was low (Day 9).  I am hoping tomorrow morning I will feel stronger and be able to stay on the board better & stand up and paddle back out/in.  Hope you all don't mind me joining in but I thought it may help to hear from someone who is slightly further along in the program. 

Dave -- So sorry you aren't well. Can't believe how much you accomplish while sick. The rest of us are just slugs, I guess. However, I don't think pine cones are compliant so......... back to the beginning with you. Day one for Dave.

Big Fan -- I have some chicken of the sea solid white albacore tuna that just says solid white tuna, water, salt as ingredients. Have fun making up with your hubs.

Gabe -- I'm sort of afraid to be around warm, fresh bread. Don't know what the smell will do. I need to make some kimmelweck rolls for a friend love them because she's been sick. I'm just not sure how not to eat one out of the oven.

Miki -- I guess I smell the pizza so much that, thought I'd love to have a slice, it doesn't bother me too much. The only thing that got me last night was when I delivered a white pizza because the warm garlic smell called my name. Tuscany is definitely gloriously beautiful. I actually have olive oil packaged at Bramasole - Frances Mayes' (the author of the book) home in Tuscany. Interesting thing about her oil is that it can only be shipped to the US -- you can't buy it in Italy!!!

Laurie -- your goals sound very practical. Good for you. Specific goals is the way to go.

Jax- welcome. We are glad you came to our (the best) thread. We have a variety of people in the group from just starting to having been thru the program a few times. Whether you are here to receive encouragement, give encouragement ...or both....this is the place for you. Let's hope everything is medically ok with you and we will work to figure out how to get you to where you want to be. Glad you didn't give up at the first sign of it getting tough. You are correct, this is not a weight loss program, but if you were eating garbage and now you are eating clean, the weight will eventually have to surrender to your better eating lifestyle. Same with the strength, little by little to build your strength and stamina back up. You must have patience ( I have none) or you will do too much too soon which will end up in an injury and then it opens a door for an excuse of why you need to stop exercising. Slow and steady....keep going!

Dave

Hi Dave

Thank you for the welcome post & the great advise.  I was sick a lot this winter (nothing major just flus, colds, etc) so I was down in the excercise department & making good food choices.  You're absolutely right on the doing too much too soon.  I love being on the ocean so being on the paddleboard is good medicine for me although I am not graceful on it.  I think this is the BEST program I have been on as of yet.  And I can see making this a life time way of eating.  These Forums are so very, very helpful !  The people are great and it's so nice to read and get encouragement & try to give some encouragement to others. 

Jackie

MKBF - well.......what were you doing sleeping in anyway? Rome wasn't built in a day.......but they didn't work Banker's hours either. Energy in the morning and none in the afternoon sounds like you are not eating right. You need to adjust your fats and proteins. Hopefully a moderator will chime in and get you where you need to be. Google sugar free sriracha and you will find several recipes so you can make it yourself.

Dave

Dave,

Adjust how?  More?  I can see eating more fats but I feel like I am eating enough proteins.  Or should I reduce?  And yes, I crashed.  Hard.  I'll try adding more fats and less protein and play around with it.  Thanks for the advice.

MKBF

Just a quickie to say Rosann yes to bacon drippings from compliant bacon, totally yum to saute things in. 

I'm about to post a bacon mayo recipe - make mayo with those drippings!!

Everyone else, Happy Monday!!!

Something I am really missing is condiments!  I have yet to make some compliant condiments.  I am definitely using curry, turmeric, and other spices more often but boy I need to make some condiments.  Anyone have some simple yet tasty suggestions?

Dave, I'm so proud of myself. Usually I make men's lists in 3 to 7 days, you and I have been together for almost 2 months, don't you think that is impressive.

I think Rosann has a very legitimate point about the pinecones, but don't worry, we'll all be here to support and cheer you on!

MAKE SIRACHA...how in the WORLD did I end up with this group...I am so unworthy. I'm still patting myself on the back for making my second batch of mayo...HOWEVER, I'm buying canning jars and trying it with my wand next time.

Dave, you do more on a sick day then I do on three well days. All kidding aside, please take care of yourself. Lucky your body doesn't have any sugar or alcohol to process on top of it. I'm glad your boys were good and helped you yesterday.

JAX - Welcome.- Same as Dave Said. I get a low sodium albacore at TJ's...but I too found a lot of them had soy and other stuff...really? 

MKBF....I hit that wall too...I keep wondering if I'm dehydrated...so am working on the water. There is no doubt I get plenty of fat and protein.

Don't tell her, but I'm going to try and get Deb C over to my house for a cooking afternoon...how fun would that be? I could keep her company while she cooks and I'll clean up the mess! We could have Dirty 30's...I forgot to try that yesterday, there's always tonight.

Gabenick - I had that last whole 30 (wake up before the alarm rarein to go - I thought I was channeling Dave), but not yet this time. 

I keep getting the feeling I'm eating too much and doing something wrong which is not helpful. I just look forward to a day when eating and food is not such a focal point of my existence. 

Okay, back to work. 

MamaMiki

Dave, I'm so proud of myself. Usually I make men's lists in 3 to 7 days, you and I have been together for almost 2 months, don't you think that is impressive.

I think Rosann has a very legitimate point about the pinecones, but don't worry, we'll all be here to support and cheer you on!

MAKE SIRACHA...how in the WORLD did I end up with this group...I am so unworthy. I'm still patting myself on the back for making my second batch of mayo...HOWEVER, I'm buying canning jars and trying it with my wand next time.

Dave, you do more on a sick day then I do on three well days. All kidding aside, please take care of yourself. Lucky your body doesn't have any sugar or alcohol to process on top of it. I'm glad your boys were good and helped you yesterday.

JAX - Welcome.- Same as Dave Said. I get a low sodium albacore at TJ's...but I too found a lot of them had soy and other stuff...really? 

MKBF....I hit that wall too...I keep wondering if I'm dehydrated...so am working on the water. There is no doubt I get plenty of fat and protein.

Don't tell her, but I'm going to try and get Deb C over to my house for a cooking afternoon...how fun would that be? I could keep her company while she cooks and I'll clean up the mess! We could have Dirty 30's...I forgot to try that yesterday, there's always tonight.

Gabenick - I had that last whole 30 (wake up before the alarm rarein to go - I thought I was channeling Dave), but not yet this time. 

I keep getting the feeling I'm eating too much and doing something wrong which is not helpful. I just look forward to a day when eating and food is not such a focal point of my existence. 

Okay, back to work. 

MamaMiki

Miki,

I agree!  I feel like my whole day is revolved around food.  More than before.  I can't wait to get to the point where it is more second nature and I don't have to think so hard about what brands are complaint and which ones are not. 

Good point on the water.  The day before we had went on Segway's for 4 hours.  I know I didn't have enough water that day and probably carried over into my next day.  I didn't even think about that.  Thanks for the input.

MKBF

MKBF - For me, I found that enough healthy fat was the key to squelching hunger and fatigue. I try to add nuts or ghee or mayo to everything if there's not obvious fat. I guess it's being in tune with your body and finding what works. Paying attention to how food makes me feel is new. I've always just paid attention to how it tastes! And how much I could eat without getting sick!!

Miki -- AMEN to not having food be such a focal point. I'm sure, as we get more accustomed to healthful eating, it will take its rightful place -- wherever that is. And I highly recommend making mayo in a canning jar with a immersion blender. Dump, blend, cover, refrigerate. Done! Love that.

About ketchup -- I found a recipe that called for honey and I substituted 4 pitted dates. Worked really well. 6 oz. tomato paste, 4 dates, 1/3ish cup white vinegar, 1/3ish cup water, pinch each of salt, cinnamon, and onion powder. Blend till smooth. I cook it for a bit (don't know why). Chill then refrigerate. Lots of recipes out there. Some add cloves or use apple cider vinegar or add chopped apples or garlic. Just have to tweak one to make it work for you. I don't really measure and I treat recipes as suggestions. (Except for the silly macaron shells whose ingredients must be carefully weighed in grams.)

Archived