9 June Start

dcducks1

Okay kids, I just don't have it in me this week. I did do a quick readover and it sounds like everyone is doing great. The site is frustrating, I agree.

35ers (69/2[halfway through the program]=34 1/2 - rounded up to =35....thus 35ers.

cleaning -- I did one finger print that has been bugging me for weeks (really? - I cleaned the attic and garage and left an annoying fingerprint for...)

Boss is in town through Monday. This has been a really intense visit.

I'm so grateful for the things I'm learning about my body and what affects it physically. I still have quite a bit of work to do on the emotional drivers.

Sleep well gang...tomorrow is another day.

Miki

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning to all from gloomy Eire,

Eating as I type because I can't trust the site not to crash at any moment. More hash today (the sweet potato kind, those days are long gone), but threw on some leftover guacamole for some extra fat, YEAH fat. I've become evangelical about good fat since the start of this program, it seems to be reversing some of the ageing of my skin, and damn if it don't taste good.

Actually, I've kinda become evangelical about everything to do with paleo eating since the start of this. I backed my way into this challenge after doing lots of research for dietary management of rheumatoid arthritis and overactive thyroid, which my mother suffers from. I was worried about her and the odd approach she was taking to changing habits (she was eliminating single things for a few days here and there and trying to read the garbled signals her body was giving her-while still eating scones and jam for lunch. hmmm), so I trawled the net and bought lots of books and scoured research papers and that led me inexorably toward the whole 30 and ISWF. I began this as a way of trialling its consistency and effectiveness for my mom, and in hopes that she would see how things improved for me (and I'm in overall good health) and want to try it herself. But of course, she's my Mom, so she thinks I'm full of bullhocky and would rather listen to certain nameless friends of hers who follow bizarre diet systems that somehow still allow the eating of cake for lunch. Yeesh.

But. BUT, I feel like a 20 year old again, actually, I feel way better than I did at 20 because I used to live on pasta sauce, gummy fish and ramen when I was 20.

I had a small panic yesterday at the thought of how close the finish line is becoming. I am avoiding hubristic thinking because I know a lot of people seem to crash just before they make it to the end, and I don't want to build in failure, but tiger blood runs through my veins right now and I don't really want it to end. Also, I'll miss hearing about all of your lives. A lot. *Sniff*

Higs, you live the life I am working on building right now, with the gardening and the animal husbandry and the hiking and kayaking, you are the business my dear. 

Debs, happiness is a life free from hair extensions, I wish I could hang out with you over some real dirty martinis in a dive bar somewhere, sounds like dangerously good fun.

Miki and Dave, what would we do without your tough lovin'?

Rosann, Sadie, Anna, CC who kicks Rick's ass on the bike trail....and on and on.

You guys are solid gold.

Have a great 17 every fine 69er

Greetings, all!

I missed everyone yesterday, too!

Dave - I decided to push myself on my 3 mile run yesterday and averaged: 10:32 min/mile. That's 90 sec per mile off my time when I started this program!  Woo hoo!

Higs - I loved Deb's post about packing the cooler.  Traveling: it has been challenging this week, but not impossible. Just like all this cooking/planning has been when I'm home. Rick and I have really taken the time to research restaurants before we go, and then I order like a very high maintainence person, LOL!  I usually will take food any way it comes, so it's a little uncomfortable making lots of requests. HOWEVER, every single wait person has been kind and accomodating.

While I don't really think my clothes are fitting any differently, I am feeling really good, and I hope you all are, too!

Make it a good one!

Sorry for the lack of personals but it's been a long day. Great to hear how everyone is going, though I do question if I'm feeling better? Any less pains/inflammation? And tiger blood? No I don't think so. But I'll keep pushing and just maybe.... :D.

Oh and can I add that I think this push to eat Brussel sprouts is a debacle, the subject of a childhood nightmare will never make it into my kitchen. So yes I am certainly a party pooper on this ingredient of the day ;-)

I finished painting the interior of the car last night and it looks amazing! I also made a discovery last night. I was using carburator cleaner on a rag (potent stuff) to clean any over spray and I accidently put the soaked rag on the side of the front seat. HOLY CRAP! The good news is that it took 48 years of grime off of the interior viny in a matter of seconds. The seats now look like I just bought them......AMAZING! I then worked on the dash gauges and they came out exceptionally clean.

Cara- chin up......press on! Tiger Blood is around the corner for you.....go get it!

CClaymon - I knew there was a faster time in you. great job!

Theheywhohaa - nice job on the workout. I too will miss this group, but we still have a couple weeks left so we need to make the most of it. Chin up!

Deb - I gave them the last "piece of mind" I had left. They did respond with the usual "be patient" while we "replace the hootigator valve on the trisymmetric bracket cooling fan and adjust the headlight fluids" routine. It's up and running now....that's the good part!

Miki - hope you are doing ok. You sound busy........but good! That's all we wish for you!

Higs - good luck with the guests coming!

Today is clean the vents and ceiling fans day! Have a great day everyone!

Dave

I'm mad at this forum. 2 days not working and I happened to be here because I googled whole9life forums. The link I'd been using doesn't work. Feel like I'm talking to myself because the rooms seems empty, like I'm the only one here. Maybe everything will be like it was soon. Miss ya'll..

Rosann...hang in there.

Dave - how are you feeling?

Cara, Brussels Sprouts came into my life late 46 and now I love them. I started with lots of olive oil, a little ghee...wash and dry first, marinate in the fats with garlic, salt and any other spices, preheat oven to 450 and cook till dark brown and crispy...eat immediately...OFF THE CHARTS.

cclaymon - I too do not have my pants falling around my ankles...but it took me 50 years to get here...so just learning a better way to eat and feeling good enough to exercise are big wins for this go round for me.

HWH - congrats on your running time...GREAT JOB> Ireland is on my bucket list if I can ever string more than 2 days together.

Okay, long day ahead...I HAVE compliant sausage and eggs for breakfast at my desk (DAVE - I promise to cover while heating in Micro) Lunch is another crap shoot...but I'm hoping for a local bistro that has an amazing shrimp salad.

The 69ers are Amazeballs, Off the Charts, Super Duper, I think I'm still a food behind...sorry Deb, but I'm well withing the spirit of the law (Dave would not be happy with my cleaning) but I did pick up trash as we walked all our buildings yesterday.

Miki

Just realized that some of you found it yesterday. My link just doesn't work, I guess. I remember trying to post yesterday morning because of something good. Can't remember what. Oh, well, fill in the blank for yourself. "Hey guys, I'm really excited. I just had to tell you ___________________________." There, that was my post for yesterday.

2/3 of the way done and I'm having my first mental-crash. I'm still pretty good, but am struggling with not being able to taste what I serve to clients. I really don't think I WANT the sweet, I'm just not used to preparing stuff and selling it without being absolutely sure it's amazing. I've been packing it up and taking it to friends to taste. I think I don't trust their palate as much as mine. I know what I want it to taste like. I made some yesterday and the texture looked off. How do I ask someone to taste a texture? URGGGGHHH. Sorry for ranting. I will be glad when I can taste my own product.

Along the same lines, I made sauce and meatballs yesterday (using beef that was grass fed and grass finished) and tasted the sauce and immediately had a panic attack! What was I thinking! I'd been being sooooo careful not to taste anything while cooking. I've gone and blown the program 2/3 of the way done. Had to remind myself that it was okay to taste it because it was compliant.

I'm going to try brussel sprouts today (not a fan in the past). I'm going with the bacon ones. That ought to help.

CCTiger -- Love that name for you. You are a beast -- In the best way.

Dave -- thanks for being our leader and going direct about the forum craziness. They DO NOT want a bunch of cranky, 6/9ers on their case. We'll let you do it for us. And............. "Please won't you be my neighbor?"

Cara -- You got it right. Just keep pushing, knowing that it's for your own good.

Rose -- love your posts. You really draw me in.

Miki -- your work sounds crazy challenging. You are strong to continue here with us and the program.

Sandy -- Your new part of South Carolina sounds pretty sweet. I'd love a place to hike naturally. Like you, I love to walk, but with a destination. My brother has a cabin in North Carolina (about a mile from Virginia) almost on the blue ridge parkway. Fun to hike there.

I am having a few emotionally rough days.  Lots of tears this morning - just very overwhelmed - lots of stuff having to do with boyfriend.  Not in the mood to post much but I wanted to check in. 

Food and exercise is good. 

I was doing homework last night and the tv was on in the office with me and I was too busy to change the channel. It was "The Biggest Loser" and although the guy showed some amazing results (over 200 pounds lost in a year) the show itself was driving me crazy. It all looks SOOOOOOO staged with what is said, the emotions, the crying, the "ahhhhhwwwwwws" from the crowd, EVERYTHING! I just feel that what we are doing is so much better than the "flash in the pan/15 minutes of fame" diets out there. This group could have it's own show called "The Biggest Winners!" You have Deb (your personal dietician) and me (your personal trainer/motivator) to help you along the way. But this program is just like two of Newton's three Law's of Motion (here comes the Jet engine mechanic side of me). Newton's first law states that: Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it. This is the same as "a body at rest tends to stay at rest unless an external force acts upon it" ..ie...couch potatoes! You are the body of rest and I am the force that is acting upon it. The 3rd of Newton's Laws states: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. This is the cool law which states that if YOU get off your butt and exercise and eat right, there will be an opposite reward which is better health, longer life, and less weight. This ties back to the first law because if YOU are in motion   (you lose weight and exercising is easier)....you will tend to STAY in motion! We can talk about Bernoullis principles with regards to incomprompessible fluid flow and divergent/convergent ducts and their effects on pressure another day.  

Miki - I am operating at 137% efficiency! Thanks for being a responsible microwaver and for picking up trash. It sounds like you got some exercise in too (walking the buildings). Don't be too hard on yourself....that's my job and I promise you will ALWAYS disappoint me. hahahaha....NEVER!

Rosann - It's ok to talk to yourself.........the problem is when you start answering yourself!

Have a great day everyone of you.......I'm not asking you to......I'M TELLING YOU!

Dave

Thanks Meadowlily! Mallards are beautiful.......but they pale in comparison to the North American woodduck........a truly spectacular bird of unbelievable colors and beauty! Are you Native American by chance? One of your pics that you posted looked like it was a group of people in front of the Crazy Horse mountain sculpture. I would love to get to see it when it is finally finished, I am a big fan of Crazy Horse and have read many books on his life. Congrats on getting this far, only 5 more days...wow! I hope you have seen or felt some good things from this process and continue to benefit from it. Thank you for your posts throughout your time with us.

Dave

Love reading everyone's posts. 

Higs - traveling/house guests - I sympathize, I am terrified of having to be a house guest actually.  And yes to jicama as an IOD of course - everyone please speak up with any requests for next week! People's Choice ;-) 

Miki - feeling you on the boss visit and sending you strength, although you seem to be trucking through - congrats bcs that is tough. Glad to see you're adding Ireland on to the Italy trip!

Rose - dirty martinis, dive bars, and I have had a very tumultuous relationship over the years..ohhhhhh the stories I could tell...I think the last time I over indulged in DMs I ended up throwing up on the driveway of a very hip hotel on the Sunset Strip and my shame was topped only by hearing the valet scream "HOUSEKEEPING!" ahh the good old glory days of my glamorous Hollywood life  :lol:  :P  ;) 

CC you are an inspiration! 

Rosann I can' tell you how impressed I am that you work in the baked good industry and are managing to do that without tasting. Truly huge kudos to your other senses, and to your willpower. I imagine you must feel very powerless at times but you're even managing to find new business so - you go.

Laurie - sending you some good vibes. Its a hard time to be without comfort food so your strength is very noble.

Dave - I work in reality tv and I can tell you that great creative license is taken with the word "real". But shhhh you didn't hear it from me  :blink:. You are our personal trainer and motivator and I need to do more CLEANING!

Allright, back to it!

Laurie- sorry to hear, hang in there and take some nice deep breathes.

CC- I feel like a diva when I go out to eat and order my food, especially when my mother in law is present. I just hope they dont spit in it.

Is anyone else getting tired of the kitchen?! I feel like I need a break from it.

Meaty is back on steroids so no more cooking for the dog...at least until we wean him off of them again.

I didnt realize how much I needed this group until the darn thing was down.

Feeling good, craving exercise today..I dont exercise btw.. I had purchased the T25, maybe I will dust it and start. I should be able to do 25 min a day.

I have a friend that went to the biggest loser ranch..EXPENSIVE!!!! She worked out around 5 hours a day and was on a caloric restricted diet...yup DIET. She is now doing the whole 30, although not compliant with staying off the scale. She lost weight at the ranch but ya know.... life happens and you have to work and just not able to dedicate 5 hours a day to exercise.. and gained it back. She does enjoy eating without the need to count anything.

Gotta get back to work.

Meadowlily - yes I do. What nation are you with? I am of Slovenian descent so not very Native American but I enjoy reading about their cultures. I am third generation in this country, my great grandparents met at a train station when they were fleeing Europe, married and came to the United States. He was Anton and she was Antonia Czerchyk. It was "Americanized" to Church when they arrived. Everyone assumes my last name is English...but no! As far as a Chief's name, we had a Korean foreign exchange student who called my Chung Dane which meant "Big Sky Dave" which is the equivalent of Church Dave. I was a warrior for 23 years with the Navy so if you give me a name, make it powerful and frightening.....hahahahaha! I was called "Chief Church" for many years in the Navy but not because of an Indian heritage. Be well..............

Dave

Hello 6/9ers!

If anyone is on the grumpy couch today, move over and make some room for me! 

I have to say I've been very compliant but the last 24 hours have been really challenging.  Want. Chocolate. Bad.  

So I've finally caught up reading from my last post after some crazy busy days and I want to thank you all for helping me

with the mental game.  Laughs, smiles, sad stuff.  It's nice to know someone out there is having it all like me.

Thanks DebC and Dave for being the backbone of the group  :)

I think some of my "weakness" has been that I've stopped getting 8 hours of sleep at night.  Hubby got a promotion

at work (Yay!) but in order to see him, I'm staying up way too late and now am down to 6 hours a night and I think

it's really making a difference.  It's really hot and humid too so being outside for long periods is draining.  Rose, I think

my hound and I would like to come visit your pirate cat and enjoy the cool Irish morning air.  Do I need to bring a 

sweater?  Sounds heavenly.

Anyone a gardener?  So I have 4 raised veggie beds.  Second year for serious veggie gardening for me and I went a 

little crazy.  It's so overgrown with all the plants I intentionally put in there and then 100 tomato plants voluntarily came

back after last season.  I get nervous walking out there, like the cucumber vines might just reach out and grab my

ankles and suck me in there and eat me for lunch.  And no one would ever find me until winter, because my family 

is not going anywhere near something that needs to be tended to outside.  Part of my problem is that I feel so bad 

tearing out things when they start growing.  I mean, if the plant gods wanted me to harvest 4000 cherry tomatoes, 

shouldn't I?   

I was AWOL during zucchini day but I had one of those moments where I went to harvest one (only planted one plant by

some miracle) and the cute normal sized zucchini there a few days before was the size of pirate cat, I'm sure.  My kids

asked me what it was when I brought it in because they didn't even recognize it.  So I made zucchini chips - that huge

honkin' thing dehydrated down into a medium bowl of chips that were so light I could read through them.  But yummy.

We always said at work "Discharge planning begins on admission" and I'm starting to wonder about the end of the 

whole30 and what to do the day after.  Thinking I need a definite plan.  Worried I'll try one item and like an addict be back

to old habits.

Anna, great to hear from you! Love your garden stories LOL! And congrats on the zuke!

There is a cure for chocolate cravings that I've seen @GFChris tell people..let me see if I can find it - shoot I can't, maybe she will see this. Hang on and hang in! I love  "Discharge planning begins on admission" - wise words. 

Ok so our ingredient of the day tomorrow is: SHRIMP!

Have fun with these critters, they always feel like a treat to me, who doesn’t love shrimp cocktail?  Easy to find frozen or fresh.

Shrimp Cocktail

http://www.foodlushblog.com/2013/01/homemade-shrimp-cocktail.html

Baked Coconut Shrimp

http://www.hellobenna.com/2014/03/baked-coconut-shrimp-whole30paleo/

Coconut Shrimp with Mango Dipping Sauce

http://brittanyangell.com/coconut-shrimp-with-mango-siriacha-dipping-sauce-glutengrain-free-paleo/

Shrimp Puttanesca with Sweet Potato Noodles – looks amaze!

http://againstallgrain.com/2014/01/20/guest-post-shrimp-puttanseca-sweet-potato-noodles/

Ginger Lime Shrimp with Zoodles

http://www.beyondtoast.com/2013/06/whole30-day-7-ginger-lime-shrimp-and.html

Curried Shrimp with Coconut Cauli Rice

http://twokitchensonepassion.blogspot.com/2013/01/whole30-day-15-curried-shrimp-with.html

Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/37988064841/paleo-shrimp-stuffed-mushrooms

Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi

http://paleogrubs.com/spaghetti-squash-shrimp-scampi

Bang Bang Shrimp

http://www.paleofondue.com/2014/01/01/bang-bang-shrimp/

Shrimp Fra Diavolo

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2013/10/17/paleo-comfort-food-heres-creamy-shrimp-fra-diavolo

Shrimp Ceviche

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/18/simple-shrimp-ceviche/

Shrimp Ceviche – AIP

http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2014/06/15/easy-shrimp-ceviche/

Creole Shrimp with Cauliflower Grits (CAULI GRITS!)

http://blog.emeals.com/paleo-dinner-recipe-creole-shrimp-with-cauliflower-grits/

Shrimp Pineapple Lettuce Cups

http://paleofoodiekitchen.com/2013/10/chipotle-pineapple-shrimp-lettuce-cups/

Satay Sauce cuz its so good with shrimp

http://everydaypaleo.com/everyday-paleo-thai-no-peanut-sauce/

Shrimp Satay

http://thedomesticman.com/2011/04/20/shrimp-satay/

Fri     Eggs

Sat   Grapefruit

Sun  Leeks

Bring on the requests for next week! 

Archived