9 June Start

dcducks1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carrying on with the tribe.  Yep.

Hoping you go on - check 

Let's keep riding this wave, we're on a roll - check check.

Thanks for sharing your success - great booster to keep going strong!  Hugs from all of us!

Hi all!  It's been awhile since I've posted.  I'm still going strong.  I've had my ups and downs like we all have.  I've managed to stay on track while socializing and have passed up many glasses of good free wine, home made cake, and pizza.  I was frustrated for awhile because I wasn't feeling so fantastic - headaches, still bloated, and tired.  I asked myself a couple times if it was worth torturing myself when I'm not feeling fantastic. I made the choice to stay the course and then overnight something changed.  The headaches were gone, my tummy was flat again like it used to be, and I had a clear head, energy, and my mood noticeably elevated. IT"S WORKING! I'm so glad that I stuck through the tough times to be rewarded with this second half of the program.  

I have one of the biggest challenges coming up this weekend. My husband and I are going on a 2 night backpacking trip.  It's going to be a strenuous uphill hike, so I'll need my energy.  Before Whole30 I would pack trail mix with chocolate, peanuts, etc, instant oatmeal, candy, wine, as it was quick/easy/and light. 

Please help me think of meals I can pack that won't spoil, take forever to cook over the jet boil (small container that quickly boils water).  The huts are primitive and we will have to bring in pots/pans if we want to cook over the stove.  Here is what I'm thinking of packing, I just want to have enough energy to do the hikes and not be miserable.  My husband is about up to here with this whole thing and I don' want to ruin the trip because I'm dragging or stressing about what to eat. 

Breakfast: Lara Bar, hard boiled egg, coffee, piece of fruit

Lunch:  Tuna packet, avocado, hard boiled egg, fruit

Snack:  Nuts, almond butter, fruit strip - not all at one sitting!

Dinner: ???? more tuna?  Gross

Repeat the next day to keep it easy.  I don't want to carry too much food with me and make the hike harder.

The hardest part will not being able to enjoy a bite of chocolate or wine after the long hike as the reward! 

Thanks for your input. 

Jess - welcome back! Your meal plan looks fine to me. I would take cashews (just because I love them).

Meadowlily - congrats! What a terrific success story.....we are all very proud and envious! Good for you and your husband!

All - grrrrrrrr....I have a ton of tiger blood today! Took my son and got his learners permit for driving, went grocery shopping, straightened the garage, tore apart the double vanity in the Master bedroom and replaced with new faucets. Went to the hardware store and bought paint and supplies to paint our front door (wife wanted Deep Mango...looks like Coral to me), waxed the hot rod, pressure washed the deck and sidewalk, took the blower to the driveway and now I'm cooking dinner! Will take the boys after dinner to the new Sonic that is opening in town. Good night for a cruise in the '66 Mercury!

Dave

Breakfast: Lara Bar, hard boiled egg, coffee, piece of fruit

Lunch:  Tuna packet, avocado, hard boiled egg, fruit

Snack:  Nuts, almond butter, fruit strip - not all at one sitting!

Dinner: ???? more tuna?  Gross

Jess, that doesn't look like nearly enough food for me! How about some sardines? If you roasted off plaintains or sweet potatoes, those would be fine for a day without refrigeration. What if you made up your own trail mix - lots of nuts, unsweetened coconut flakes, some dried fruit, toss them all in some olive or coconut oil and bake up. You could even add some plantain chips in there. Just extra fuel to keep you going. I bet a frittata would last a day or so as well. 

Have a look at this link:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/19487-camping-whole30-style/

Also these bars were recommended - the bison is not compliant (has sugar) but others are, find them at Whole Foods. 

http://www.epicbar.com/

I have to admit that I feel lost without my updates via email. Not liking it!!

I am having to force myself into the kitchen these days, yesterday we grilled rib eyes, chicken and dogs so plenty of leftovers today. Had a small breakfast that held me up until lunch. I am just having lunch now,

Off to enjoy the beautiful direct sunshine of 108 degrees.

I was up at 4:30 this morning - I hate waking up early because my mind starts spinning about the day and I can't go back to sleep!

I'm sure I was worried about what I was forgetting to pack for our month in VA.  The 8 hour drive was rough without the coffee/diet coke/sweets, etc., but I have to admit that I had good energy and was not sleepy. (We both drove our own cars so there was no trading off!) I packed hard boiled eggs, apple, cashews and seltzer. It wasn't sexy, but it was compliant.

As soon as we got here I headed off to the grocery store with my Whole 30 list and got us stocked up for the week.

Deb - that poor check out girl! She kept asking me, "What is this?" Leeks.  "What is this?" Fennel.  Kept her on her toes.  Just 3 weeks ago I didn't know what a shallot looked like, LOL!

Meadow - WOO HOO!!  So glad to hear about your success. VERY INSPIRING!!

Jess - You could carry a LOT of food (weight wise) if you're not taking a bottle of wine! HA!  When I would back pack with my mom she would make us go as light as possible. We were not allowed to take a full bar of soap or a full roll of toilet paper. While I'm not a big fan of it, what about compliant beef jerky?  I've learned that sometimes the food it not going to have a lot of jazz when you have so many contraints. Stay compliant so you can feel good about it - accept it won't be as tasty as wine and chocolate.  :)

I may be missing something, but is there any reason that we can't all continue to meet here in the forum? Everyone has access and they are comfortable going here to post. There is a way to post pictures (check out the "More Reply Options" and you can see the "attach files" button.

Just an option to consider!

School holidays here, (winter so only 2 weeks) so I have a few days off work to do some things with the boys. Yesterday, waking to torrential rain meant in-door plans, so off to a movie (I'm in a regional area, so it meant a trip to the city, 1 hr drive and the same again in a train). A big day but we all ended the day happy. I was so nervous and excited to eat something that I had not cooked, it was my 1st time on Whole30 a bit of pre-research meant I found a new gluten free/no added sugar store to try for lunch and can I just say my dull looking little salad and chicken bowl was not only delicious but compliant as well. More challenge will come on the weekend when I hit the road for a few days with the ex mother in law and kids for a few days. We will be in regional areas and eating will be a struggle I dread.

Jess great to hear you are still going strong. May I suggest more food, 1 boiled egg in a sitting does not sound enough to me unless you have another protein source, your body will need fuel with all that walking. Sounds like fun though, I would live to do more hiking.

Laurie life is certainly hard how it hits us in multiples. Between my family and my exes we have seen way too much cancer and it can have such huge effects in everyone. Take care and make sure looking after yourself stays a priority too!

MeadowLily- Hooray to you. Wow! You seriously made my draw drop with what you have achieved through whole30. So, so exciting. Can I also say as my children whinge and moan (they are feeling house bound with our winter weather & I've cruelly just put a Luce treatment in their hair which they despise) I remind myself my happy time is coming :D.

Thanks to all those sharing a bit of their day to day lives and what you do. Sounds like some amazing jobs out there. I'm a ranger, working in the field of environmental education. The park I work in spreads across about 20% of the little island I live on (though on an island we are fortunately connected to the main land via a bridge), we are probably best known for our little penguins :).

Lily, Check you out! Congrats on a job well done-very impressive. I am so happy and excited for you. Thanks for sharing!

Higs, my daughter took me to Powell's on one of my visits. One of her favorite stores. We usually hit the road  when I am there (last year stayed in a cabin off the grid outside of Ashland, one year a lighthouse trip, Sisters , just different stuff)so haven't been in a few years, I will have to make it a point to try and stop by next time I visit.

My supper tonight was beet & collard greens cooking with beef bacon. Roasted turnip, beet, & sweet potato mix. Chicken breast cooked in rosemary, thyme, sage, garlic - very tasty!! My leek is still in the frig - but I'll get to it. Oh, I also had a cup of lamb bone broth- I have a cup of broth while I am fixing supper at nite, it's nice.

You are all superstars in my book - I am so proud of us for hanging in there - your  commitment  to this program and to each other is amazing  - have a wonderful evening!!

Hey 69ers,

Glad you all had such a good day. I can't remember what the food of the day is, forgive me deb. I made a yummy swordfish today with lemon olive oil, basil and garlic...then to the bbq. I had grapefruit, arugula salad, grilled brocolli. Fun day. Feeling really good tonight.

Planning on having a 4 day weekend this weekend and it will be great. Heading to a 4th of July parade, then hiking, beach, gardens...just R&R - NO DAVE MANIA WILL GO ON...just R&R.

hugs and good night to all.

MamaMiki

Late to the party tonight! Had a good food day and an average workday today. Leftover fish with the leeks/cauli for breakfast. I'm a little bit obsessed with that leek/cauli dish! Lunch, marinated roasted chicken breast with veggie "tabbouli" (included jicama - was delish - recipe posted yesterday), Dinner buffalo rib eye, white sweet potato skillet fries (my new fave, I sliced the sp very thin and then fry it - tonight in duck fat!), green salad. Snacks apple/smoked salmon, peach, cherries. Wow. 

Laurie – I think you’re amazing and hope your bf is ok today. I give you so much credit for pursuing positive and healthy ways to ground yourself. It is so true that good health and life on this earth can be gone in a flash. We are all on borrowed time. We have to get through as best we can, we humans; sharing the experience makes it easier. I love the sound of your online exercise challenge; tell us more.

CC – I’m SO HAPPY you’ve found the joy in cooking and fun ingredients to the point of stumping check out girls!!! Honestly that just makes me smile.

Rose, lol on the weeds/non weeds. I become homicidal with caffeine so have given it up.

Anna, good to hear from you! I think kombucha tastes like sour fizzy gingerale. Worth a try! That’s a sweet story about your son and I am so glad your hairfall is less, mine too.

Dave you are a MACHINE. That’s not tiger blood its t rex blood!!

Meadow, remaining so inspired and encouraged by your results!

Cara so interesting you are a ranger! Are you on Phillip Island? ?

Sadie yummmmmmm

Miki – LOVE that you are feeling so good. We’re jicama today, parsnips tomorrow. Lol Dave mania.

INGREDIENT OF THE DAY! 

Guys, sorry so late with the parsnips!! These sweet carroty veggies are terrificly yummy baked, fried, or turned into a puree.

Carrot and Parsnip Puree

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4105061950/carrot-parsnip-puree

(use ghee instead of butter)

Parsnip Hummus!

http://gourmandeinthekitchen.com/2014/parsnip-hummus-dip-recipe/

Baked Parsnip Fries

http://ancestralchef.com/baked-parsnip-paleo-fries-recipe/

Parsnip Mash

http://www.amazingpaleo.com/2012/11/20/7-paleo-thanksgiving-recipes-4-of-7-paleo-parsnip-mash/

Roasted Parsnips

http://makobiscribe.com/paleo-diet-roasted-parsnips-recipe/

Pan Seared Chicken and Curried Parsnips

http://everydaypaleo.com/pan-seared-chicken-and-curried-parsnips/

Parsnip Breakfast Hash

http://www.worthypause.com/2014/01/roasted-parsnip-breakfast-hash.html

Cherry Bacon Short Ribs with Mashed Parsnips – AIP

http://food52.com/recipes/26740-autoimmune-paleo-cherry-bacon-short-ribs-with-mashed-parsnips

Parsnip and Pear Soup with Fried Sage – AIP

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/parsnip-and-pear-soup-with-fried-sage/

Shrimp Callaloo (there’s a new one for us) and Parsnip Curry

http://www.paleofondue.com/2014/04/25/shrimp-callaloo-and-parsnip-curry/

Parsnip Apple Latkes with Smoked Salmon

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com/2013/11/paleo-parsnip-apple-latkes-with-smoked.html

Parsnip Ribbons with Bacon, Parsley and Capers

http://nourishpaleofoods.com/2013/09/06/parsnip-ribbons-with-bacon-parsley-and-capers/

Parsnip Shepherd’s Pie

http://www.paleoplan.com/2009/12-03/paleo-shepherds-pie/

Cauliflower Parsnip Puree

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/3248352-Cauliflower-Parsnip-Puree

And coming up next – perhaps the highlight of our IODs – EXOTIC MEATS!

Break out the duck, venison, rabbit, ostrich, kangaroo, squirrel, possum (c’mon Kiwis, lets get real) fancy fish, and more! 

Can I get an amen?

Strutting our stuff up in this joint, working some amaze shizzle. CC, Rick, your relationship is inspiring, managing a whole 30 together when often separate for work, you sure like to take on the tough stuff, but you have those demons under the thumb. Also, CC, you're totally right, it didn't occur to me about the forum here being highly accessible. Captain Obvious has left the building at the moment...the only problem I have with the forums is how often they have been out of action, but apres whole30 we're not perhaps as vulnerable as we have been during.

Meadowlily... well hey now ho now, that's some news I love to hear. I'm in it for the long haul apart from the reintro phase (wanna know exactly who is pressing my body's buttons, accountability is important, even for food) and some occasional offroading for paleo treats (and maybe some non-gluten homemade rye sourdough once in a blue moon when people come to eat here) It's good to know you're out there, putting manners on the world and getting s*&t done.

How cool is everyone on here? TV producers, aircraft managers (sorry Dave, I know that's not exactly what you do, but my eyes glaze over when confronted with too much technological information, your job sounds cool to me anyway), park rangers, bookety folk, finance whizzes, former doctors, nurses-come-rhinestoners. So interesting and so cool.

Jess, I think Deb was spot on about including some kind of carbiness and making trail mix of your own, and a good point was made (CC?) about the weight of a bottle of wine perhaps displacing some food....

Cara, you can make Lara bars pretty easily, they only have about three ingredients (basic recipe) and you can pimp em however you please, check out nomnompaleo for a recipe that's foolproof (and heavens bless Michelle Tam for her many many awesome whole 30 compliant recipes, without her and Melissa Joulwan I would have eaten a lot more dully for the last 3 weeks).

Laurie, as always your trips down into this 69er rabbit hole are a delight and a constant reminder of the preciousness of health and love. I send you both in a package made of rainbows (no doubt U.S. postal service will damage or lose it. Poop.)

AM on day 9 of personal exercise challenge and feeling so much better. Little colourful story here, yesterday I ran up the stairs and at the top of the third flight I had to stop because there was something oddly lacking...it took me a moment, but then I realised that I was no longer accompanied on this journey by the sound of my thighs applauding (slapping together, oh yes they did). No more audience appreciation for stairway freerunning. I think I can live with it. Also, spent half an hour throwing my small people around (helicopters and rocket launch, obviously) without getting remotely winded or dizzy. I'm enjoying my children so much more since this began and that alone would make the permanent sacrifice of all the world's chocolate completely acceptable to me. 

I do have to share one more thing...a date dipped in raw cacao powder is the truffliest thing in the world, not swypo, just amazing yumminess for pre-menstrual weirdos like this gonzo right here. Try it, you'll like it (just one mind, its not a free for all).

Love and other communicable delights,

Rose

I am up early (as usual) and made breakfast for the family! Took the two dogs for a quick walk, waxed the boat, took it to get gas, loaded the tube and rope, packed the cooler and I am almost ready to go. Taking two of my sons (third has to work) and my niece, nephew, and my niece's friend tubing! I will be lathered up from head to toe in sunscreen with the consistency of vanilla icing! I will be wearing long pants, heavy sweatshirt, beanie hat, winter parka, and overalls to protect myself from the sun (so my wife thinks)! Actually I will be very liberal with the sunscreen, no shirt coming off today, I will wear a visor hat and keep the bimini up on the boat. Should be a great time!

Theyheywhohaa - my eyes glaze over too when things get too technical.......which is every day! I am in charge of the Navy's advanced Jet Trainer aircraft which trains all of the Navy's pilots before they start flying combat aircraft! It's a cool job because I work very hard to make them the safest jets they can be since many sons and daughters are in my care. Thighs applauding.....................pure comedy! That is hilarious! Glad you are feeling better and having fun with the little ones!

Cara - Park Ranger sounds like an awesome job! 

Today is pick whatever you want to clean day. If it's nice outside...work outside! If the weather sucks.....clean indoors!

Dave

Darling Rose, you get the "dirtiest (Dirty 30 69ers) post of the morning"  today. You had me laughing with you "thighs applauding" and on a more serious note, your ability to be present in your life and truly have the energy to enjoy your children. Your date sounds wonderful, but for me I think that would be a trigger. I exist in a highly sensual relationship with food, so I do better to keep it a little less intoxicating.

Cara - nice to hear from you. You too should take some compliant snacks with you to tide you over just in case stress raises his ugly head on your trip with the EMIL. For me it would be veggies cut popcorn size (why that is more fun to me, I don't know), nuts and dried fruit if it's not a trigger, even maybe an egg or two.

Dave- You are such a wonderful dad. Not all kids have that and some day your kids will realize that. I envy your day on the boat, I must admit. I love the water, but don't often have the opportunity to go out on the water.

Jess - it was nice to see your post. I agree with others that when you're on an adventure that requires a lot of physical stamina you want to have plenty of available. Light stuff like a hand full of nuts or raisins or dates. It sounds like such a fun thing to do and I'm sure you'll be great.

One thing I've learned (probably re-learned) is that I like food to fun, when in fact the fun is fun and if you get past thinking it's about the food, the event is more fun and the morning after is WAY MORE FUN. I have our company picnic coming up July 19th and I'm already thinking "it's not going to be as much fun if I can't eat the fried chicken or the brownie bites, but honestly that is not true. There will be salad and fruit, many things that will be with in the whole 30.  I feel so good and will have such a better day if I don't do things that steal my health and well-being.

My goal is to complete a whole 50 at least. My son and dad's birthdays are in august and I would love to relax for that party. I thought I would hit the nomnom site for dessert type items and then we'll do Mexican which will super easy to keep healthy if I do the marinades my self, make jicama and mango salsa and bring Taro chips for myself.

Make it a great day filled with the joy, love, passion and excitement that is SO rightfully ours!

Miki

Holy moly, it is hard to keep up with the forum right now -- sooo much energy on here!

Laurie, your story is so touching and it sounds like you and your boyfriend have been dealt more than your fair share by life's curveballs.  My partner has had similar experiences -- so daunting at times, but we keep plugging away.  You are doing so well to take such good care of yourself through this.

Meadowlily:  wow, happy dance!!!  Go Pooh Bear, Go!  Congrats on your astonishing results!

Rose, your garden story reminded me of every time someone besides me takes out the mower.  Some little baby shrub or plant I've been nurturing always seems to get decimated.  Intentions are good, but geez!  How can anyone not see that that's a baby lilac/flowering currant/madrone seedling??  I want to do an exercise challenge, too - next step for me is to start a Couch to 5k program, which I'm planning to start next week.  Love that you're enjoying your kids more!!

Dave and Miki:  watch those sunburns!  Another use for coconut oil??

Anna:  are shrews bitter?  Your hound brings 'em, my cats bring 'em but never eat them.  Kombucha is pretty good, slightly sourish and tastes sort of yeasty to me.  I've gotten to really like it, actually - even though it sounds gross.

Jess:  sounds like you had a breakthrough!  I was looking for backpacking advice on the forum just for long day hikes, and found this link as well:  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/19771-backpacking-for-3-days/    I tried one of the Epic bars last weekend and I thought it was gross, sadly - like a cold greasy lamb burger patty.

Sadie:  you know Powell's, too!  How fun that you've been there, too.  The big mothership store is undergoing a huge remodel right now which involves moving a LOT of books.  It's going to look amazing.

Deb:  those sweet potatoes fried in duck fat sound fabulous.  What is wrong with my sweet potato hash that always turns out so gummy? I have been disappointed too many times.

CC:  you're right.  Why not stay on here?  I've seen on other forums that everyone migrates to reintro boards after the 30 days.  But this group is full of renegades, right?  We could keep this thread going and going and going!

OK Team 69, we are so rocking this!  Day 23!!!!!  I realized the other day that I don't remember when I last had night sweats.  It's been at least a couple weeks.  I'm feeling really good although I'm not sure I'm losing much weight.  I really would like that belly felt to start melting and sliding away.  I'm trying not to focus tooo much on that and I'm really trying to pay attention to all the ways that I'm starting to feel great - but I can stand to shed that tire too.  Anyway, though, I get to make parsnip puree tonight, yummmmmm!

Go team!

Morning Higs,

Just a quick shout. I'm adding in hiking this week, and light strength training and maybe a yoga class or two. I'm afraid to even try to jog or play tennis. I think once I have full strength and no pain walking up stairs I will start treadmill walking. I may add elliptical as that doesn't bang the hip but just keeps it mobile, although it is required to hold my weight...well, we won't go on about that!

I think it is so interesting reading the early posts and the posts now...we've all grown, went through the emotional period, the overwhelm and now we're starting to be inspired by this type of lifestyle. The transformation of everyone is overwhelming - of course, with the exception Dave who started walking in formation at 4 months, organizing the crib and crawling out in the middle of the night to dust before his mother woke up.

I'm starting back to my planks, crunches and other "middle" focused firming and muscle building exercises. The weight has to come off to, but being firmer helps me.

Hugs to Higs and All

Mix

Archived