9 June Start

dcducks1

Meadowlily - Hunkpapa "Head of the Circle"! I read the handbook of American Indians years ago and remember that. I like the name, thanks! I don't know if I follow my body or brain, but I feel like I follow habits more than anything! Not sue if my mind reminds me or not, but it feels like I have eating habits such as when I go to a friends party and they put out chips and dip......I can't eat a few and walk away. Not sure where many of our member photos went. This site is really annoying me.

Anna - welcome back, good to hear from you.

Beacon - best of luck!

Heading to bed, have a great night.

Dave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are the best! Love all your posts.

I got to share Whole 30 with close family members. Had them over to eat last night, they loved the Asian Beef and Broccoli and curry cauliflower. Sent them home with beef bones, coconut oil, and butternut squash I had ready to fix.

Brussel sprouts were wonderful tonight, fixed them with beef bacon. Also had Sage Braised Chicken with them - YUM!

I have been pretty tired all day - not sure what that is about. I am really for all that new found energy to come back!

GOing to hit the bed early tonight-

Take care ya'll -

I don't see any photos

Meadowlily - I think I'm backwards...my mind leads my body astray.

Good Luck Rick

Dave - Perhaps you can sent the site maintenance team a chore roster?

Anna - sleep is so important. I'm trying to lay  down early tonight and catch an extra hour. I'm feeling better today but I'm running on two burners for sure.

Rosann...it must be hard to do your job. You have tons of selfcontrol and determination, I'm so impressed!

Gabenick - If I never go in the kitchen again, I'll be a happy girl.

Laurie - take care of yourself.

I agree, Dave and Deb so much to keep us focused and intrigued by our commitment...THANK YOU!

We are still waiting for confirmation for a stem cell transplant donor for my boyfriend.  The first donor never responded to the schedule requested by the transplant team so I think we lost that donor.  There is a 2nd donor that will be contacted and hopefully, he/she will go through with the process.  The transplant is my boyfriend's only cure so you know what that means.  So much is going on and we have no control over anything.  I guess that's why it is so important that I stick to whole 30 and exercise.  It's the only aspect that I find stable in my life.  I have issues with depression/anxiety so I really need to fight and find strength  to get me through these days.  I am so grateful for our special group - the posts are encouraging, funny, stimulating, informative, etc.   Without knowing it, you all make my day a little brighter, and for that, I thank all of you!

Hey y'all,

Laurie,

Everybody on here is thinking of you and asking whoever or whatever they invest faith in for the best possible outcome for you and your boyfriend. Your situation is so frightening and isolating, any aspect of control you can exercise over your living conditions right now is positive. Every time I read one of your posts I tear up, and I know I'm not the only one. Your boyfriend is fortunate to have somebody so steadfast and loving by his side through such a miserable, terrifying experience. I hope the donor comes through and you get some much needed respite from the worry and the waiting.

Perspective. That's the thing, isn't it? We could all be sicker, sadder, less loved, further from home, more lost in the wilds of our minds. We could be but we aren't, we're here and we're ok. Better than ok.

Anna, your garden is making me envious, because snails have eaten all of my lovely chard and pak choi, and my neighbours' beans and peas are twice the size of mine. I try to grow my own food every year, but the joke around this house is that I have a black thumb, the gardening hand of doom. Perhaps its because I am a helicopter gardener, obsessively hovering over each new shoot like a spurned lover looking for a way back in. Maybe its just bum luck, the grumpy couch always seems to have a free seat on it, and that seat is yours if you need it, just make sure not to leave a butt print, because the rest of us need to use it too. You know what the 12 steppers say, this too shall pass.

Debs, I should have read your upcoming weekly ingredient list before I shopped last weekend, because I don't have a car (my fella takes it to work every weekday) and I can't get my hands on brussel sprouts or shrimp midweek in my local store. My local store sells such esoterica as slush puppy ice pops, but alas, a disturbingly small array of fresh ingredients. By this time of the week I'm always playing icebox bingo with ingredients. Tonight I have a chicken to truss (thinking lavender and lemon, maybe some thyme) and some veggies to sneak past my unsuspecting familia. Think I have an eggplant, a zucchini and a couple peppers kicking around in there, so it might be a ratatouille evening.

Rosann, I don't know how you do it, the waft of vanilla up ones nose, the heat of the oven at the legs, its too much for me. I haven't baked anything in weeks (unprecedented, baking is what got me into the mess I was in). I am working on a couple of paleo recipes for when I finish and one of them is for a proper coconut buttercream to sandwich together macarons. I love making macarons, people are so dang impressed and its not hard enough to justify missing out on other people's awe. Also thinking about a coconut sugar meringue mixture, you should swing by Ireland on your next European tour and we'll figure it out together.

All are welcome to come to our drippy little island in the Atlantic. Its not what the tourist industry will have you believe anymore though, lots of malls and condos, not so much with the stone walls bestraddled by friendly donkeys. Clearly, Ireland's greatest attraction is typing this missive...clearly.

Legs are painful, shoulders ache, but today is day 4 of the workout commitment and I'm doing it for all of us. I'll offer it to the fates in return for a good day for every 69er.

Love,

Rose

Long day today. I have work, then class tonight, followed by my my youngest son's swim meet. Loooonnnnggggg day! No worries! I have decided to take the next nine days off of work so that I can spend some time with my boys before our vacation at the end of July so I am planning on some boating, tubing, canoeing, fishing, and maybe camping. Should be fun! I will still be this forum (if the damn thing is working) so don't worry about not being told to do your chores. I added the chores for the rest of the week below. YOUR WELCOME!

Thursday - Vacuum/declutter a vehicle today! Clean out the garbage from last summer's road trip! A wash job wouldn't hurt either!

Friday - Garage or shed - it's time to try and find the floor and walls. You might just find that bike you bought to EXERCISE on!

Saturday - COME OUT OF THE CLOSET................right after you have straightened the shoes, hung everything up, and sorted out the winter and summer clothes!

Sunday - Relax......NO REALLY...RELAX! Take a minimum of 30 minutes to do slllooooowwwww stretches, cose your eyes, lay down, get a massage, take a swim (take a short swim if it's in a hot tub), rent a prostitute, take a leisurely walk, listen to soft sounds, take a nap, meditate, medicate................today is your day to take it easy! You can thank Miki (and God) for this day! You all deserve this day...you are doing amazing and I am very proud of all of you!

Dave

Dave I had a hunch that if I re-uploaded my photo to my profile, it would reappear. 

It worked! 

Sadie YUM on the brussels!!!

Thanks Deb....you are so smart! Can you start working for the Whole 30 IT department?

Dave

Good morning, everyone and HAPPY DAY 18!

I just have a few minutes to catch up on everyone's goings on.  Laurie, I am thinking of you and your boyfriend.  You are strong and resilient and it's awesome that you're taking care of yourself through this ordeal.  I hope you both get good news about a donor really soon.

Anna and Rose, my fellow gardeners, I was crushed to discover that some critter ate every. Last. One. of my Hood strawberries -- despite bird netting, flash tape and little dishes of Pabst beer (PBR!  Best slug bait on the market).  I'm not sure what ate them but the berries were about two days away from being ripe.  I think I need to sit out there with a shotgun next year.  In the meantime, the raspberries and blueberries are growing prolifically and I'm hoping they're high enough off the ground that the same critter won't get them.

Deb:  on my walk this morning I was mulling what to cook in the week ahead and some of my ingredients include, besides jicama, things like endive, parsnips! and some sort of less common meat.  I'm thinking rabbit, duck, or elk.  Take 'em or leave 'em for the IOD!  And I'll add brussels sprouts back in since I didn't get to eat them this week.  Also a suggestion, Deb:  throw your ingredient posts and links on a blog!  I would reference them all the time.

Everyone, you are each and every one of you AMAZING, strong, funny, generous people.  Go Team 6/9!  We got this!

So glad the forum is working well for 2 days in a row. Goody-goody. Realized today that tomorrow is my 2/3 of the way done day. (That'd be day 20 out of 30 -- my math is good, right? 21 years of homeschooling will do that for you!) Don't know why I thought it was a couple of days ago. First I don't know my age, then I miscalculate how far I've come. No matter, I'm in it for the duration. I just remember that I can eat regular paleo on July 8. (I began June 8).

Laurie -- You have my heart and prayers. Love that you are staying strong and taking care of yourself.

Those with gardens, good for you! I can't grow much. Truly. Even my children were grown by someone else - they're all adopted :) I've tried many timed, but to no avail. I think one year we had enough harvest for 2 meals. I was so excited. That was my best year. Now I keep stuff in pots so they're easier to replace. (the plants, not the children)

Rose -- the best thing about having a business that sells macarons is how impressed everyone is. Especially when they taste their first one. They think I'm amazing!!! I smile and let them believe it. Everyone confuses French macarons with coconut macaroons, so I purposely don't offer any macarons with coconut. Too confusing!! A friend's daughter has relocated to Sligo recently. So at least I know someone on your little island.

Dave - you're taking time of to spend with the family before you go on vacation with the family? Love that.

Good Daddy-O you are.

I download a lot of recipes (thanks to Deb C and pinterest), but keep making the same things because my brain doesn't want to think so much. In time this will become the natural way of preparing meals and that will be nice. I do have brussel sprouts and am going to make them tonight. (I try to experience IOD suggestions, I just don't always get the right day.) I AM trying to expand my vege base.

Have a good rest of the day everyone. Keep on caring for yourselves.

Checking in on Day 18:  I took Rick to the airport this morning - we were up at 3:30AM.  My morning run was not my best, but I wasn't too surprised!  I was lucky to squeeze in a 2 hour nap this afternoon and feeling much better.

Last night we had pork chops and brussels sprouts to try to get caught up on some ingredients of the day!

I just saw this on the Whole 30 website: http://www.tessemaes.com/

They have compliant salad dressings, sauces and mayos. It looks like they are only at Whole Foods. I may check them out and let you know how it tastes!

Laurie - we are praying for you and your boyfriend.

I'm sorry to hear the challenging gardening situations!  I have actually killed a cactus like plant in my past, so I applaud you for the effort!   :)

Laurie- I have been thinking about you and your boyfriend, sending prayers.

Yesterday was a super long day. I am a nurse by day and a rhinestoner/screeprinter by night, my hobby is turning into a full time job. I was up at 0600 ad went to bed at 2330 and was full of energy, the guys at the shop were pretty impressed that I was up and going. Energy level is good, still waiting for my pants to fall.

I would love to have a garden BUT I kill everything...I killed 3 mint plants.. I keep hearing "you cant kill mint" yup I did.

Had a small breakfast and had lunch late today, albondigas for lunch. I will have a salad for dinner while my husband eats fresh tamales.

Have a great one!

Hi all,

Just wanted to drop in for a minute. Like you guys I'm a 6/9er, but I haven't had time to keep up with the forum. I have just now been trying to catch up with all that is going on here over the last few weeks. You guys really rock!!!

I am still complient with W30 and have found some days really hard, but most days okay. I atribute my sucess so far to shear will power, or being 'Bull Thick' as we say here in Ireland  (hi Rose!). Also the belief that W30/W9 is by far the best nutritional program out there and a desire for sustainable health keep me going.

I love the daily ingredients thing and the myriad of recipes on here and through the emails, although I have found that for myself using plain easy repeditive meals has helped take the focus away from food during the day, rather then constantly thinking about the next new recipe. I have always been a foodie but this experience has taken me back from food a bit, I guess when its over I'll turn to some more adventurous paleo meals. For now head down and keep going.

Anyway, big shout out to the 6/9ers, keep it truckin'

Road Warrior Report - Toronto Day 1:

After a challenging day of travel, I have to say I made it through successfully. Good strength workout at the hotel fitness center (rare for me; of course CC always gets in her workout on the road) after a much-needed nap... Pink Peppercorn Steak with grilled asparagus for supper. Pretty tasty!

Great to hear from you @Eoghan! 

Higs  - I will totally throw everything on a link before we're done and post it here. That makes me sound more blog savvy than I am lol. But I think I can do it. I have a sneak peek of next week's IODs at the bottom of this post - thanks for the suggns!

Gabenick - nice tiger blood. Rhinestones what? Do we all need some? I might!

Rose - go you workout Day 4!

I come from a long line of gardeners, sadly, to date, I have a black thumb and have also killed a cactus when I tried to take it from CA to CO. I am feeling maybe just a little kitty plasma myself, not sure not sure, cautious optimism. 

Have cooked more boringly this week for convenience - boo, not my style but ya do what ya gotta do 

Ok, on to the excitement of the IOD! Did anyone shrimp it up? 

Which came first, the chicken or the…..

Yes, tomorrow’s ingredient is – THE EGG!!

Does everyone know that ….to cook the tops of your sunnyside up eggs – just put a lid on your pan? And all poached eggs need a splash of vinegar in the water? I have been cooking for years and only got these tips a couple of years ago so thought I would share!

GET EGGY WITH IT.

(btw I missed the BEST pun opportunity yesterday so I’m gonna say it now “PIMP THAT SHRIMP!”)

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7332351633/perfect-hard-boiled-eggs

Prosciutto Egg Cups

http://www.generationyfoodie.com/2013/06/prosciutto-egg-cups.html

Crazy Clown Eggs

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/89854861117/crazy-clown-eggs

Scotch Eggs

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/11/23/paleo-breakfast-sausage-scotch-eggs/

http://www.primallyinspired.com/5-ingredient-smoky-spicy-scotch-eggs/

Italian Style Baked Eggs

http://www.cindystable.com/italian-style-baked-eggs/

Devilled Eggs

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/classic-deviled-eggs-recipe.html

Avocado Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps

http://www.simplebites.net/avocado-egg-salad-lettuce-wraps-with-bacon-paleo-dairy-free/

Paleo Quiches

http://paleogrubs.com/quiche-recipes

Egg Muffins

http://www.lesleywgraham.com/2013/06/whole30-egg-muffins.html

Bacon Buttie (with eggs)

http://meatified.com/no-bread-bacon-and-egg-sandwich/

Sweet and Savory Blueberry Tortilla/Frittata

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/20/sweet-and-savory-blueberry-tortilla/

Green Eggs and Ham

http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-recipe/green-eggs-and-ham/

Smashed and Egg Loaded Sweet Potato

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/29/paleo-smashed-loaded-sweet-potato/

Mayo (just in case)

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/08/19/mayo-how-to-video/

OMGGGGG you guys, Nom Nom Paleo getting’ a little cray (but make sure you read all the way to the end!)

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/20282441042/tong-zi-dan-virgin-boy-eggs

INGREDIENTS OF THE DAY!

THIS WEEK:

Sat   Grapefruit

Sun  Leeks

SNEAK PEEK AT NEXT WEEK

Mon Jicama

Tue Parsnips

Wed Exotic Meat Day! (rabbit, goat, duck, venison and maybe some lamb even though its not that exotic)

Thu Stone Fruit (peaches, plums, apricots)

Fri Squash (butternut, acorn, spaghetti, etc)

Sat Herbs (mint, basil, thyme. oregano and more)

and Spices (cinnamon, coriander, cumin, tumeric and more)

Sun Love! Put some extra in those dishes and share your favorite recipes and go to dishes of our most awesome 6/9 W30!

It's almost 1030 and I am just getting home from work - night school -kids swim meet! Pretty tuckered out! I did have time at the swim meet between his events to clean the interior and the windows of my '66 Comet so I was able to knock out the chore of the day! Ta Da!

Just one more day of work and I can have the next 9 days off! I had shrimp.......Ta Da for lunch with a salad. Having eggs for tomorrow will not be a problem since I love them and eat them daily. Thanks for the egg cooking tips though.....pretty clever!

Had midterms tonight which was pretty tough on my tiny brain after a day of working on multi-million dollar budgets. I have seen so many numbers today I think I would spell my name with numbers if I had to fill out anything. I can't even think of my cell number......I think there's a "3" in there somewhere.....or a "Q". Anyway, welcome to the group and thanks for posting Eoghan! Nice job on the travel BeaconRick! CCLaymon - your times should be in the 8's by now, stop slacking (and napping)!

For all of the bad gardeners......if you really think you can kill anything, maybe you should try to grow bamboo! If you can kill that stuff, that would amaze me!

Good night everyone.......sorry I am a lazy poster today! I wish I had a little more in the tank to offer as far as encouragement but I am running on fumes........let me rest for 10 minutes and I will be back to yell at everyone!

Goodnight all of my wonderful, funny, happy, athletic, cooking, cleaning, energetic, gardening, goat walking, caring for loved ones, Native American, rainy Irish, running, Tiger Blood, cycling, Kiwi, Reality TV, traveling, rhinestoning, struggling, succeeding, 6/9er friends!

Dave

Guten Morgen mein damen und herren,

I have a confession to make to you all... I am a grouchy person. A touch misanthropic, a mite bit judgemental, a tad cynical (a large tad, which I think should be called a toad). It is not really in me to be an Elmo, I'm an Oscar. Or I thought I was. I thought my curmudgeonly approach to life was simply my nature, but it turns out I was sort of wrong. In fact, I was on a hormone roller coaster that tainted my view of the world and lent everything a grey sheen, where in reality the hues are often closer to rose. You guys shake me out of my complacent tendency to find other people lacking each and every day. Just a group of ordinary people dealing with everyday situations, some of them fraught with pain and difficulty, and you do it with such dignity, and poise, and unselfish kindness. You give me hope for humanity and for my petty self. So thanks for that you guys, because obviously you only behave in such an exemplary fashion for my benefit. What a pompous poop I come off sometimes.

Anyhooo..... welcome Eoghan (that's pronounced Owen guys, we love our consonants on the emerald isle), you're doing a hella fine job managing this without daily leaning on the forum, props to you for the strength of will to fly in the face of convention and do your own thang.

Dave, you hurricane of achievement you, I hope you soak up every moment with those boys, you deserve some time to recharge, Those kids are lucky to have a man like you to teach them how to be in this world. I cleaned my imaginary car yesterday, it looks awesome, you can have a look if you peak in between my ears, try to ignore the whistling of the wind through that aperture.

CC and Rick, you are wonderfully overachieving kids. Kudos for the travel compliance and the exercise one-upmanship. 

Debs, how does a girl find time to track down so many wonderful recipes (oh, wait, its obsession with food, I gotcha...still impressive and worthy of gratitude), you take one for the team every day. Yesterday I risked a trawl through pinterests' food and drink without filtering out the weird box-based treats and it was fine. I didn't feel attracted to the giant cookie cakey doo-dads. A small victory is mine.

Higs, love your alternative IODs, I can't get jicama here for love nor money, but I'm on the bandwagon for interesting protein (I'm thinking ostrich, which is rather steaky, but will probably have to settle for venison because its easier to source around here) I cannot tell you how happy it made me to think of you rocking on your porch with a shotgun tiny enough to destroy all snails that cross its path.. Oh happy day!

Laurie, I'm not arrogant enough to think I can offer you any solace, but I do believe that kind thoughts have some power in this world and so I am sending you a buttload of sunshine girl.

Meadowlily, you are a dusty gem. Crying over a sweet potato indeed. What are we like?

Hugs and other overfamiliar gestures of affection to all of you,

Rose

I just wanted to share some good news .  The donor came through.  My boyfriend will be admitted to the hospital on August 6th, chemo starts on August 7th and the stem cell transplant is on August 13th.  I am happy, nervous, excited, scared - all the emotions you can imagine :):o:D:huh:.  His whole immune system will be completely wiped out and he will receive a new one. 

Dave - I better practice my cleaning skills because cleanliness is key after transplant.  I might need to visit you to get top notch cleaning lessons.  I'll definitely need to pass the white glove test.

So back to Whole 30.  I feel good about my journey so far.  I've kept things really simple.  Just put the food in the oven, and turn oven on - minimal seasoning.  I eat mostly chicken, salmon and eggs, along with veggies and fruit.  I have not been eating many nuts lately.  Oh, I have one disclosure - I ate a plain baked potato once when I was out to eat.  I know it's not whole 30 - so please excuse me.   I am going to allow a plain baked potato once in a while (I am sorry moderators - I know that my journey may not be considered an "official Whole 30").  My relationship with potatoes is just fine.  In fact, I have a better relationship with potatoes than I do with myself.  I find that plain potatoes are much easier on my stomach than sweet potatoes - the sweet potatoes give me stomach aches.  I am not pushing the veggies off my plate in favor of the potato.   When I ate the potato, I also had salmon and a big salad.

Things for me to work on - less fruit, more fat, less unstructured eating.  More sleep - I have sleep issues but I won't even go there.  It's 2:18 a.m. and here I am "talking" to all of you.

Oh, I have one disclosure - I ate a plain baked potato once when I was out to eat.  I know it's not whole 30 - so please excuse me.   I am going to allow a plain baked potato once in a while (I am sorry moderators - I know that my journey may not be considered an "official Whole 30").  My relationship with potatoes is just fine.  In fact, I have a better relationship with potatoes than I do with myself.  I find that plain potatoes are much easier on my stomach than sweet potatoes - the sweet potatoes give me stomach aches.  I am not pushing the veggies off my plate in favor of the potato.   When I ate the potato, I also had salmon and a big salad.

Thanks for your honesty. To clarify, having potatoes on a Whole30 isn't about whether you have a good/bad relationship with them. Per the rules, they're out: it's pretty black and white.

Instead of continuing to eat potatoes, I would encourage instead for you to explore other carb-dense vegetables that are Whole30 compliant. Winter squash, jicama, beets, carrots, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips are among your choices.

p.s. Congrats on the stem cell donor news: hoping for the best possible outcome for your boyfriend.

Archived