Bulletproof Pros & Cons

Hey all,

I'm thinking about trying to work bulletproof coffee (coffee with ghee and coconut oil) into my routine. I've been reading up on it and thought I'd voice my concerns and goals here to see if any veterans have any feedback.

Pros: I'm having a really hard time working enough fat into my daily intake. I used to be hungry all day every day, and since starting the whole30, that has been rectified. This added fat in the AM might help substitute out fat I'm missing in the earlier part of the day.

Cons: I am trying to lose weight. I know whole30 isn't a weight loss program, and health is my first priority...but I am trying to lose weight, fat specifically, as I've been training and adding muscle mass. I do know, however, that you need healthy fats in order to lose weight.

Please share any experience you've had with it, etc!

The bane of my existence is too much coffee.  It's increased my pulse rate.   When I jacked my coffee up with coconut oil, high octane premium fuel...pulse rate over 100.   I have really cut down from 12 cups in the morning to 2 large cups.  Now I'm striving for one large cup...not a full thermos.

You still need to eat the recommended amounts of fat at the rest of your meals. Just cause you put fat in your coffee in the AM doesn't mean you don't need fat with your lunch or dinner.. Follow the plan how it was written.. Trust it.. Don't try to modify it and invent your own plan.. Just follow the plan as written

Just remember that fat doesn't make you fat!  Like CaGirl said, you still need your recommended fat at other meals.  You could count the bulletproof coffee as your breakfast fat as long as you have at least one serving of fat in there and are drinking it with breakfast.  If not, you might want to even add a little more fat to breakfast.  It depends on how much weight you are trying to lose, but I have found that limiting fruits and carby vegetables (while sticking to the template) helps with my own fat loss.  

The main idea of bulletproof coffee is that if it is the only thing you have for breakfast, it can extend the fat-burning state you are already waking up in.  It is like intermittent fasting, but not really fasting.

If you want to put your breakfast fat in your coffee, I don't know who would care (as long as it is an approved fat -- no butter).  But this needs to be WITH a meal, not AS a meal.  

If you are having, say, a cup of coffee with 1-2 Tbsp of fat, a grilled chicken breast, and a pile of steamed broccoli, then this makes sense and will not make you gain fat.  If you are eating 4 eggs cooked in a tablespoon of fat with a sweet potato covered in ghee AND you are putting fat in your coffee, that might be overkill.  ;)

You're no longer hungry all day, every day since starting the Whole30? You can go 4-5 hours between meals without hunger? Then it sounds to me like you're getting plenty of fat at each meal. However, if you're hungry between meals, then it may be worth having some extra fat with breakfast. Do you drink coffee with breakfast anyhow? If you don't already drink coffee - I'd recommend not starting the habit. Otherwise, cheers!

I do already drink coffee, but luckily I'm to the point where I'm usually okay with just one cup versus the many that it used to take. I'm in a weird stage where I'm never hungry at all. It could even be a small stomach bug or something, as I also feel nauseous. But I'm assuming my body is just a little in shock because I started the whole30 a week ago and three days ago I started back on crossfit after not really working out for months.

Like now, I've stalled eating breakfast because the thought makes me feel slightly sick, but I know I need to eat because yesterday I barely ate anything due to this feeling.

Jaclynalyse,

I am experiencing the same issues with nausea, and it's only my Day 2! I have been a big fan of bulletproof coffee for awhile and I am happy that it's allowed on w30. I struggle with an appetite in the morning most days and so I feel as though the 2 cups of coffee with fat I take in at least gets something in my stomach. Maybe that's not the right attitude though...

I definitely wouldn't worry about taking in too much fat-fat doesn't make you fat, like LizzieCO8 said :)

Good luck!

If you want to put your breakfast fat in your coffee, I don't know who would care (as long as it is an approved fat -- no butter).  But this needs to be WITH a meal, not AS a meal.  

This.

If you want to add fat to your coffee, that's fine, but we do not recommend using bulletproof coffee as a breakfast replacement during the whole30. If you find this coffee is killing your appetite for breakfast, you are going in the wrong direction.

Those of you who are struggling with having no appetite for eating breakfast -- I hope you are not drinking coffee in the morning on an empty stomach. That is a great way to KILL your appetite & mess with your blood sugar. I have a personal rule that I can only drink coffee WITH my breakfast. It brews while my breakfast is cooking. Whether I am doing a Whole 30 or not.

The only time I drink coffee alone is when I am not doing a Whole 30 and I get an occasional cup from Starbucks *with heavy cream* -- which is quite a bit of fat, so that is not really drinking it alone. Even then, I am not starting my day that way -- that is an occasional afternoon treat, while out and about. Usually by then I've got two meals down, also.

To clarify, I drink my coffee with my breakfast. I usually eat a few hard boiled eggs and fruit. I've been trying to add in some veggies to breakfast as well but I cannot yet stomach avocado with breakfast as a healthy fat as many people do. I grew up not eating breakfast most of the time, so getting something is a real struggle for me.

If you eat a full serving of eggs at breakfast that is actually probably enough fat. I sometimes add some compliant bacon for a little more but don't stress it. A full serving of eggs being as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand without dropping them. I have 4 every morning. Adding the bulletproof coffee isn't a bad thing but I would focus on trying to get the proper protein and vegetables over more fat than what is in your eggs already. I only tried bulletproof coffee once and I found I couldn't finish my normal first meal and drink it so I went back to just black coffee.

Yeah, it seems clear I need to rethink my breakfast choices. I usually have just the bulletproof coffee and a couple of hours afterwards will eat some eggs and fruit. I think changing this will help me refocus on food and my "usual" routine to improve my eating habits and overall health in the process. Thanks everyone!

To clarify, I drink my coffee with my breakfast. I usually eat a few hard boiled eggs and fruit. I've been trying to add in some veggies to breakfast as well but I cannot yet stomach avocado with breakfast as a healthy fat as many people do. I grew up not eating breakfast most of the time, so getting something is a real struggle for me.

What day are you on?

It probably took me 7-10 days of eating breakfast every day and eating dinner at least 2 hours before bedtime before I was actually hungry for breakfast.

Keep up the good work - you will discover what works best for you within the meal plan parameters. 

Jaclynalyse - how much starchy veg are you eating each day? Sounds to me like you need to stimulate an appetite and I've always noticed that I lose my appetite and get nauseous if I go too many days without any starchy carbs. Just a thought. In general, sounds like you need to eat more - and more vegetables! ;)

@avondarcye - you can make it with grassfed ghee.

• Moderators

Hey all,

I'm thinking about trying to work bulletproof coffee (coffee with ghee and coconut oil) into my routine. I've been reading up on it and thought I'd voice my concerns and goals here to see if any veterans have any feedback.

Pros: I'm having a really hard time working enough fat into my daily intake. I used to be hungry all day every day, and since starting the whole30, that has been rectified. This added fat in the AM might help substitute out fat I'm missing in the earlier part of the day.

Cons: I am trying to lose weight. I know whole30 isn't a weight loss program, and health is my first priority...but I am trying to lose weight, fat specifically, as I've been training and adding muscle mass. I do know, however, that you need healthy fats in order to lose weight.

Please share any experience you've had with it, etc!

Don't fear the fat! My husband ate less than the prescribed fat amounts when we started our Whole30, and on Day 4 he got the carb flu so bad he couldn't get out of bed. Your body is switching its fuel source to fat which is a very good thing. But if you shortchange it on fat, it will let you know it is displeased!

What do you mean you are having trouble getting enough fat? Is it that you don't like your options? There are so many:

avocado - cubed in a salad or eat a half with salt & pepper

coconut oil - to use in cooking

ghee - on a baked sweet potato

olive oil - drizzled on your salad with vinegar

coconut butter - a few spoonfuls out of the jar, or on a baked sweet potato

macadamia nuts, almonds, hazelnuts - have a handful with a meal

coconut milk - poured in with sauteed meat, veggies and spices to make a curry bowl

olives - many different types with different flavors, toss on salads or eat a handful with a meal

that's all I can think of right now but I bet I missed a few.

Bon appetit!

Archived