Karen's Whole30 Life

Kmlynne

"shoveling snow has been strangely cathartic."

I feel the same about shoveling snow. It's truly a lovely thing to do.  I have not yet been out to do it.  I think I probably should -- we have several inches on the ground now.

ThyPeace, waiting on the stew that DH made.  It has non-compliant ingredients (small amounts of flour and wine) and I am not going to complain.  Because, well, beef.  And mushrooms.  And home-made broth.  And onions.  And DH is a really, really good cook.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

went out about 2 hours ago for the last shovel of the night....  4.5 inches so far.  I peeked out the door just know and it barely looks like I touched anything.  Guess I'll have a lot of shoveling to do come morning :)

Stay warm and safe, sister!

It is still snowing.  20-24 inches with higher drifts so far.

3 times out clearing snow - gave up this afternoon because the winds were too high.  I will have to do another big shoveling in the morning I am sure.  I am pleasantly surprised how good my road looks.  

I have seen 3 movies, 10 episodes of blindspot, 2 episode of the originals, and now 2 episode of z-nation.  my butt hurts. :)

Hi Karen,

I'm just catching up here after several days. So glad your heat got fixed before this blizzard!

And I'm really sorry about the loss of your friend. 

I cannot fathom shoveling snow. It's not something that ever happens in Austin, Texas. 

You are amazing. That is all. Simply amazing.

Dug myself out again - at least the snow has stopped and the sunshine helped it start melting today.  VDOT has done an AWESOME job with the road!  My road is clear pavement (I do live on a fairly major road), and the interstate was clear and dry today.  (I spent quite a bit of time looking at the live traffic cams on I-95 in VA today.  Wanted to be sure I could get to the airport tomorrow).

I am very, very proud of my kids today.  They took the initiative to go up the road and dig out my "out"laws.  They didn't finish the driveway because my BIL was supposed to bring up the snow blower (which still hasn't been done at this point), but the dug out the car, all the walkways, a path to the bird feeder and to the woodpile.  They did good. :)

I did fairly well over the weekend.  I did have tomato soup (ok) and a grilled cheese yesterday - a snow day habit.  Tonight, I am having a slice of pizza for dinner.  (At least it's not a whole one like I used to eat).  A bit of cabin fever coming out in me!  I don't know that I will be 100% keto this week since I am going to my aunts, but I will be close.  It's ok, cause I know that I won't be "falling off the wagon" and will get strict with it again when I get back.

Hope all those on the east coast are getting themselves dug out - and the rest of you are enjoying your weather :)

P.S.  I LOVE shoveling snow.  LOVE it.  Wish I could come and help!

Man, I *used* to say that! When I first moved to Wyoming from Washington, I thought it was a kick ... yeeeee, it's like fun, and exercise, and productive all-in-one! ............ ya, that wore off REAL quick when I kept having to shovel out both my car and driveway just to get to work at oh-dark-thirty.  :P  :wacko:

Man, I *used* to say that! When I first moved to Wyoming from Washington, I thought it was a kick ... yeeeee, it's like fun, and exercise, and productive all-in-one! ............ ya, that wore off REAL quick when I kept having to shovel out both my car and driveway just to get to work at oh-dark-thirty.  :P  :wacko:

I am just thankful that I didn't have to work this weekend.  Usually I have all day to dig out - now that I am working days, I would have had to get up in the dark to dig......

Man, I *used* to say that! When I first moved to Wyoming from Washington, I thought it was a kick ... yeeeee, it's like fun, and exercise, and productive all-in-one! ............ ya, that wore off REAL quick when I kept having to shovel out both my car and driveway just to get to work at oh-dark-thirty. :P:wacko:

This is my first winter on the east coast - we moved from Vancouver BC - and it's our first snowfall here. I was super excited about the snow....needless to say, my husband is pricing snowblowers at the moment! Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that it has been a whole week since I have been on here.  It's good to be back.

So, just to prove that I am human....

1)  I have not stayed keto - w30 - or anything else this last week.

2)  I gained weight this last week

3)  I did not get my steps in this last week

4)  My spirit is much calmer

After the snow, when the airports opened, I traveled to St Louis to spend some time with my aunt.  With all that has been happening in my life lately, I just needed time to chill.  I spent three days thinking of nothing.  I had insisted to my aunt not to cancel any of her normal meetings, functions, etc.  We went to a card making class, to her gym for a workout, lunch with her friends, and a small group bible study.  Of course, I also visited with family.  It took two days of being snowed in at home, a day of travel and two days of visiting before I felt ready to face the world again.  And I have faced it with a vengeance :)

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but I am a planner.  I like to know what is happening and when - even on vacation.  It can be a detailed schedule or as simple as "beach day followed by dinner out".  When I got to IL, my aunt and I were talking about the "schedule" (or plan) for the next day or so.  Each day we would talk about the next day.  I suddenly realized that almost all of our plans revolved around food.  Where we were eating dinner, whose house we were going to for dessert, etc.  We did have a meal in one day and I made WF West African Chicken Stew.  Anyway, I mentioned this one evening as I was at my cousins (eating dessert).  We laughed about it at the time, but the next morning my aunt told me how much it had struck her - that everything we did was around and about food.  We both agreed that we needed to change that.  What I began to realize was that even though I had gone with good intentions, I had NO willpower.  Maybe it was the people, maybe it was the place, maybe it was because, for a few days, I just couldn't fight anymore.  So, there it is.

Now here is the weirder thing.  As soon as I got back home - no cravings.  No desires.  I am back to my usual meals.  I don't miss it.

I would love to tell you that I have finally had a week where there was no bad news, where nothing went wrong....  but I can't.  What I can tell you is that it isn't derailing me.  I am so glad that I took the time to "run away" for a bit - and I don't regret any part of it.  But now it is time to refocus :)

Missed posting last night - mostly because of work.

Tues, the furnace guys come bright and early and finished up the job that the storm cut short.  While they were here, I was able to get some things cooked up.  They left just in time for me to get DS to work and head to the gym.  Then I headed home for a nap since I had to work night shift.  Work shift was crazy.  I wasn't actually on the daily schedule, although my managers both knew I was working (I had the email they sent me last week to work tues night).  Since I wasn't needed, I was sent to our sister hospital where I started the night in one unit, and finished in another unit.  I went home exhausted and went right to bed.  Slept about 4 hours and woke up (just can't sleep during the day anymore I guess).  I got up and headed to the gym.  I ended up leaving my workout early just because I was so tired.  I left there and went to the church to get some work done there.  I couldn't go home to bed because I need to sleep tonight so that I can work tomorrow.  

Anyway, my cook up has stocked:  venison meatloaf muffins, brats, pulled pork, chicken breasts, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms and spinach, boiled eggs, and bean sprout salad.  All this (except for the venison) for 66$ from the grocery store.  Hopefully will last through the weekend.

I have been eating well since returning home, after my week of indulgences.  I have been fighting a vicious headache for the last couple of days.  I was trying to blow it off to lack of sleep or not enough water.....  I broke today and bought a snack bag of potato chips at the gas station.  I don't know if it was the salt, or the carbs, but the headache has really, really backed off.  I remember getting this same headache when I started keto in November.  I know that it will go away if I wait it out, but I not upset that the chips helped :)

It has been raining all day today.  I am off work on friday, so am hoping to get a hike in if the weather is good.  Probably won't go far afield, since I won't have time.  I have a meeting with one of the ladies of the church who is considering taking over the church books.  Please pray that this happens.  As much as I have enjoyed my service to the church - it is time to hand it over and decrease a little more stress in my life - especially as I am working more hours at the hospital :)

As far as my goal for 2016 miles in 2016, I finished Jan 17.25 miles behind where I "should" be to remain on track.  However, I had 8 more miles during Jan 2016 than I did in Jan 2015 - so I am ahead of the game!  I am hoping that by the time april/may/june roll around, I will be able to get out to the mountains a bit more :)

I finished Jan 17.25 miles behind where I "should" be to remain on track.

I hadn't looked at it like this.  I'm about 25 miles short for January.  

I look forward to being able to make this up when the weather is warmer, for sure!  I can't wait to go camping and do some trails with Rocket...

So, I know that I haven't been here for a few days...  things have just been coasting along.  I am still eating from my grocery run from the beginning of the week.  I did hit the grocery store for a few more veggies - and to get the kids some things that they "had" to have.  (i.e. bread  :P ).  Grand total for the week:  100.00, for three of us.

I keep up with Brewer5's log about "a Fresh Start", and in answer to someone's question about eating w30 and remaining SAD, as well as counting carbs on keto, I wrote this (and thought as I was writing that I wanted to get it on my own log for posterity  :rolleyes: ):

If you are staying on the higher end with your carbs (and you don't have to count) - yes, you are basically staying in the SAD realm.

Let me see if I can explain how to know if you are still SAD without having to count carbs.  Do you still have cravings for sweets?  Do you still walk through the grocery store eyeballing the candy/chip aisle.  Do you see the box of chocolates/cookies/etc in the break room at work and have to tell yourself you don't want them?  Then, you are still feeding you body carbs and causing it to want to use carbs as fuel.  I did several w30s.  Many of them much longer than 30 days.  I still struggled with that sugar dragon, although it did get better over time.  I followed advise received on the forum - "have a sweet potato", "eat starchy veg".  I felt good.  I had cleaned up my diet.  I wasn't eat in the processed foods anymore.  Aches and pains had gone away, I lost weight.  

However, over time, I realized that the sugar dragon was still there.  When I exerted myself (i.e. - all day hike), I HAD to take fuel with me - in the form of nuts and dried fruit - to have the energy to finish my day.  

When I began seeing posts about keto - my first thoughts were that I wasn't ready to "count" carbs.  I read the book Keto-clarity.  Finally, I decided that the benefits outweighed the negatives of counting and I started keto in the fall of last year (nov).  The biggest lesson that I learned - after one week of counting - is that you DONT HAVE TO COUNT!!!!!

Eat your whole 30 template:  some protein, veggies (stay with the low carb veggies - Brewer5 has posted the veggies list several times in this thread, but you can google it too), and fat.  Then, add more fat!  Cook with fat, eat the fat, don't be afraid of the fat!!!!!

I started counting to "make sure" I was staying under a number - there are lots of different people saying what the magic number is - and it is different for each of them.   Then I gave up counting because I just couldn't keep up with it.  I started tracking my ketones with a meter....  then gave up on that too.  I know how I FEEL when I am eating what my body wants - fat as fuel.  I can hike all day without a snack - and feel just as strong at the end as I did at the beginning.  I am mentally clear (when I don't have to work a night shift).  I sleep better.  I feel healthier.  I cope with stress better (i.e., i don't fall back into the bad eating habits as easily).  The best part?  I have NO DESIRE for the cookies, candies, cakes, pastas, etc that are all around me.  I rarely get Hungry, and don't get Hangry.  

Don't sweat the small stuff.  If you want to try keto - start small.  Stop eating fruit (have one occasionally if you really, really want it), stop eating the starchy veg.  See how you feel.  Don't be surprised if you have a touch of the carb flu, but it shouldn't be as bad as when you started w30  :)  See how your body reacts.  See what feels G.O.O.D. for you.  Maybe, keto isn't for you - but maybe it is!

I was talking to someone at work this week and had another epiphany:  It's not that I CAN'T eat the things that are in the break room - it's that I DON'T WANT TO.  And I have also come to a point where I will have and enjoy foods that don't necessarily fit into my "diet" when I decide that I really want to - knowing that I don't have to "fall off the wagon" and start all over.  During this conversation/revelation, we were talking about all the "hidden" places that our food industry (and I use the term food loosely) puts sugar.  We are addicted to it.  I know - this is not new news.  But it is to some people.  I still tell my story of buying salt for my salt grinder.  I looked at the ingredient list and it read "salt, dextrose".  Why in the world put sugar in the salt?  Because we think it tastes better that way.  I watch the people in the cafeteria in the morning, getting fruit from the bar, then sprinkling sugar or sweeter on it.  The waffle bar was an instant hit - but do you know what was even bigger - the chocolate and strawberry waffles (and believe me, you knew when there were strawberry waffles because that sweet chemical scent filled the cafeteria).  There is sugar everywhere!!!!!  

Overall, it is not difficult to eat healthy.  Eat meats/eggs/cheeses with plenty of veggies.  Have a little fruit.  Enjoy the healthy, unprocessed fats.  However, when you go out to eat, it is not so easy.  Food is processed to make it easier to cook and serve at restaurants.  Sugar is added to almost everything to make sure that you will want to come back for more.  Tell me the last time you went to a restaurant and the dessert menu wasn't already on the table before you could even think about an entree.  Ask about the ingredients in the appetizers - bet it contains sugar.  Look at the portion sizes - when was the last time a restaurant  served a 4-6 ounce portion of protein?  When was the last time a vegetable serving was greater than 1/2 cup?

I don't know how to fix it.  When I think about it, the problem seems so big.  I try with my kids, but I didn't get to them early enough, they are already addicted and have no desire to stop.  I watch new parents who say they know what is healthy and have great plans to make their own baby food, etc, and a few months later, they are feeding kraft mac and cheese and mcdonalds.  In the hustle and bustle of this world, we find it so much faster and easier to have convenience "food".  

There is a post on Facebook that I see once in a while of a cabin in the woods.  It is captioned: would you live here for 1 month with no electricity, no internet, etc for $100,000.  Most people says yes.  a few say no.  I'll bet if you asked the same question, but instead of internet, it was replaced with "processed/fast food", or said:  stay here with only food that you could hunt/raise - Ill bet most people would be saying "no way".  I have to admit that the older I get, and the more stresses I am finding in my life - I would love to run away and find myself in a cabin in the woods "off the grid", living "off the land".

OK.... rant over.....  guess I just needed to get that off my chest  :P

It's not that I CAN'T eat the things that are in the break room - it's that I DON'T WANT TO. 

I think this is some really important progress.

These past few months have been different for me than any other time ~ because I am finally, consistently, choosing what makes me feel good.  Not what feels good in the moment, and does not last.  But what makes me feel good overall.

I remember, during all of my Whole 30's... thinking of things that I SO would have gone ahead and eaten ~ but I "couldn't" because I was "on a Whole 30".  

Getting out of that all-or-nothing mindset is a really big deal, and I feel like we've both finally made it there.  Congrats.  :)

thanks for your explanation.  I am sorting through this stuff slowly wrapping my mind around it all.  I have trouble with spending so much time thinking about how to eat!!! realized I was hi-jacking your journal and removed a bunch of stuff.  I think I better start my own journal... :P

You and Brewer and the others on your threads are providing so much info and it is truly appreciated.  I'm getting there slowly. Hoping I can find the Keto Clarity book today.  I know I can order it online - but really want a hard copy.

I meant to reach out to you a few weeks ago about your son.  My oldest son, a couple years ago, made me wonder would he EVER get it together??? Before he drove me crazy???  Yes - he did.  And your son will as well.  I learned through tears, prayers, anxious nights without sleep, etc.that there are things he must learn himself.  And that often, failure...YES, total failure...staring you in the face with NO ONE but yourself to get you up and moving again - is sometimes the best thing that can happen in your life.  It is excruciatingly hard to bear as a mom...but 'rising from failure' makes a person the person he/she is meant to be. 

I learned through tears, prayers, anxious nights without sleep, etc.that there are things he must learn himself.  And that often, failure...YES, total failure...staring you in the face with NO ONE but yourself to get you up and moving again - is sometimes the best thing that can happen in your life.  It is excruciatingly hard to bear as a mom...but 'rising from failure' makes a person the person he/she is meant to be. 

This is so true.  Thank you for sharing.  I have 3 boys, and my middle is one who is going to have some of those hard lessons in life.  We can talk and talk and talk to him, all day long, explaining things ~ but the fact is that he will have to have some of these experiences for himself.  It's just the way he is.  He reminds me of someone I know..................

:ph34r:

And you're right.  I don't regret any of my past experiences, I don't feel bad about them or let it bring me down.  I learn from them ~ I move on, and I become stronger.  A little bit stronger every day, in fact.

Edited to say:  I can't speak for Karen, but I don't think she minds the discussion ~ and definitely feel free to chit chat away over on my thread.  I love having good conversations going.   :)

• Moderators

Hey Karen;

Dextrose is added to iodized table salt to stabilize the potassium iodide... if the dextrose wasn't there, the iodide oxidizes and becomes useless... not that it matters to people who eat a diet of whole foods, because you do get enough iodine... but for people who eat... well... crap... iodized table salt is important. I use pink himalayan seasalt and diamond crystal salt and don't have any problems with iodine deficiency :)

There's not enough dextrose in table salt for you to be able to taste it or for it to make any impact on your health, which is why Whole30 specifically allows dextrose in table salt as an exception to the 'no sugar' rule.

So, it has been a crazy kind of couple of weeks.  I have to admit that I have gone back to some of my old ways of eating - not horribly, but enough that I am not feeling as good as I was.  Between extra hours at work, on top of a second job, stress at home and this crazy weather, I have gone back to convenience instead of healthy.  And I write this as I sit waiting to see if my flat tire (that I got and had to change in the middle of the snow storm yesterday) and eating Chick Fil A.  *sigh*

However, I do know how I feel when I eat well, and this won't last :)  

On the plus side, no one gave me chocolate for Valentines Day - so I didn't have to worry about saying "no" to that!

Archived