Karen's Whole30 Life

Kmlynne

Day 34

Ketonix: 60 red

FBS:76

BS:  110 (what?)

M1:  mushroom and cheese omelet with butter and sour cream, sausage and bacon

BS: 96

M2:  huge salad (lettuce, greens, cucumber, cheese, olives, dressing) and venison patty

ketonix:  49 yellow

work today.  not much else to report - except that I am dying to get to the grocery store and make some food!  omelets are good but they are getting a bit tiresome.....

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did! But not all the fun flavors :). And to be honest, I had almost forgotten about that - it was right in the middle of so much other stuff going on. But now I am going to make them for the next three "events" I have coming up..... And am going to make my favorites.

And to be honest, I boiled the eggs, but DD made them, so I kinda forgot - Thanksgiving was a LONG time ago after all :)

hahah ok we'll give you a pass and I'll forego any comments about "senior moments" icon_ducking.gif

FBS:76

BS:  110 (what?)

I first read this as your fasting glucose, so I went back and looked at your food from last night.  But your fasting glucose was good!  That is strange...... 

I only ever do fasting, so now you've got me curious if mine does weird stuff like this.

I first read this as your fasting glucose, so I went back and looked at your food from last night.  But your fasting glucose was good!  That is strange...... 

I only ever do fasting, so now you've got me curious if mine does weird stuff like this.

When you linked to your older thread, this post -- http://forum.whole30.com/topic/23800-brewer5-keto-whole-30/#entry250735-- made me think that it would be good to check post-prandial blood sugar.

When you linked to your older thread, this post -- http://forum.whole30.com/topic/23800-brewer5-keto-whole-30/#entry250735-- made me think that it would be good to check post-prandial blood sugar.

Yes, I definitely remember that post -- and that is why I said I am not AS concerned with my FBG as I used to be.  I have read Peter's posts over at Hyperlipid and I understand what is going on a lot better than I used to.

I haven't messed around with post-prandial much, because honestly it's just a pain in the ass.  I have to set a timer for 1-hour and 2-hours after I eat... and it's just not something I have done on a regular basis.  I have done it a few times and saw nothing scary, so I haven't been too worried about it.

The only thing that I could think of that might cause that spike is exercise. I check my FBS as soon as I wake up (about 6-630am) - as in, the glucometer is the first thing I reach for, followed by the ketonix.   Work starts at 7am and I am usually very busy the first couple of hours, not eating my first meal until 9am.  That day, I was VERY busy :)  I wonder if the exercise is causing my body to still release the glucose stores that I have, even though I should technically be a "fat burner".  I was reminded by my cousin (who has twin boys with type 1 diabetes) that blood sugars do run higher during and directly after exercise.  Sometimes, I do that AC blood sugar in the morning, and sometimes I don't......

I might have to check and see what my postprandial sugars are.  I want to find a day that I can check my sugars every 30 minutes after I eat, just to see what they are doing......  might be a while before I can find that kind of day.  Of course, in all fairness, I should also do a day when I am very active, like, maybe when I am hiking....  something to think about.

Day 35

ketonix: 54 yellow

FBS:  86

M1:  mushroom and cheese omelet with butter and sour cream, bacon and sausage

BS:  77

M2:  salad (romaine and spring greens, cucumber, green peppers, olives, cheese) with dressing, venison patty

Ketonix:  54 yellow

Another work day.  I am a little disappointed but not surprised with my keto numbers.  I have been eating exactly the same thing for days now.  I have not kept up with the fats quite as well.  I haven't had a chance to go to the grocery store, and have been relying on the cafeteria.  Since I am not following w30 guidelines to a T, I stopped thinking about the added sugar in the sausage and bacon.  I think I was pretty safe with the salad, as I took my own dressing.  Also, when I cook my eggs at home, I use eggs with added egg yolks.  So many places where I could be "better".  I am so glad to be off work tomorrow to be able to go to the grocery store.  I think I will go as soon as I wake up.  I am thinking about making some west african chicken stew, and perhaps trying a frittata with some veggies in it.  Also roasted chicken and some brats.....  I am making myself drool :)

One interesting thing happened today.  I usually eat my second meal around 3-4.  Today, at work, I suddenly realized that it was 530 and I hadn't eaten - and I still wasn't hungry!  I knew that I should eat something, so I went for my salad and burger.  After work was church.  I am now home and getting ready for bed at almost 10pm, and I am still feeling full from the salad (like I ate less than an hour ago).  I don't think I could eat a meal now, even if I wanted to - and have no desire, whatsoever, to snack on something.  Never in my life have I felt this way.  This time of the evening was always my most difficult time.  This is when I always ate.  even doing w30, I would think about a snack - and sometimes I indulged (bananas and sunbutter with coconut flakes and raisins, anyone?).  Even writing about it, I have absolutely no desire to even go into the kitchen to see what is there.  I like this feeling :)

Day 36

Ketonix: 57 red

FBS: 88

M1:  2 egg muffins, guac

BS:  66 (WOW!)

M2:  salad with dressing (lettuce, radish, asparagus, green onion), 2 small chicken thighs, pecans and macadamia nuts (1/2 oz of each) and one spoonful of sunbutter

ketonix:  53 (yellow)

I woke early this morning (really my usual time, but I could have slept in today).  Piddled around for about an hour, then went to the grocery store.  Didn't have much in my cart but the bill was over 100.00 (gasp).  Hope this lasts a couple of weeks.  Unfortunately, I was out of some staples, which always adds on to the cost.  (Four jars of pickles - some for me and some for the kids - and a bottle of mayo for them (they won't eat the homemade stuff) was 16 dollars!)  Came home and started cooking.  I have to admit that I overestimated how much of things I would need, but then again, you can't buy ground pork in less than 1 pound amounts.  Anyway, got quite a lot done before taking DS to work.  Came back home to clean up, then back out for PT on my shoulder, pick up DS and back home again.  Worked on the church books for the afternoon and got those bills paid.  Got my checkbook caught up (a feat in itself) and then found out (not only am I broke) but the septic is backing up - again.  It just never ends.  At least the basement is empty this time.  Normal water amounts aren't a problem, but between the dishwashing and the laundry, it just wasn't handling the amount of water.  Will have to get it looked at in the next couple of days.  Instead of getting upset, I decided to just not worry tonight, and call tomorrow to have the septic guy come out.  Watched a TV program, and now am heading to bed.

For my cookup:

*  Honey glazed chicken thighs:  Practical Paleo cookbook.  Basically the thighs are coated with butter, mustard, sage and salt and roasted.  

*  Brats

*  Crustless egg muffins and a crustless quiche.  This is what got out of hand.  I looked up a few recipes, then decided to just do it my way.  I started with 6 slices of bacon (chopped) then added pork sausage (the 1 lb ground pork with my own spice blend).  In the fat that was left from the meat, I cooked mushroom, orange bell pepper, spring onion, and spinach.  I put this mixture in the bottom of my muffin cups - and realized that I still had 1/2 left when I fill all the cups.  Instead of making 24 egg muffins, I decided to make a crustless quiche out of the "leftover" so that I could freeze it for later. On top of the veg/meat mixture, I added grated munster and cheddar cheese.  Those little muffin cups were FULL!  The egg mix was 1/2 whole eggs, and 1/2 just yolks - I think I went through 2 doz eggs with the muffins and the quiche - cream cheese and heavy whipping cream.  This I poured on top of the veg/meat/cheese mix.  Popped those puppies (sorry Rocket!) in the oven and let them cook.  They puffed up nice and high :)  After cooling, I had one - make that 2, for breakfast. Yummy!

*  West African Chicken Stew - a double batch - froze half.

One thought for today.  I ate breakfast late.  Only because, as I was taking things out of the oven, I suddenly realized I hadn't eaten.  I hadn't even noticed!  I had my second meal at 530pm.  (Loved my bs!)  Ever since eating, I have been feeling nervous and jittery -like that gut feeling you get when there is something wrong.  Couldn't put my finger on what was going on.  I mean, I have a big test to take tomorrow, but that was not it.  I thought about what I had eaten - shouldn't be anything there - the mustard on the chicken didn't have sugar in it, the salad was my usual.  Then it hit me - the sunbutter was a different brand than I had been buying.  I didn't even think to check it.  Evaporated cane sugar.  Yep - it was in there.  Three hours after eating, I was still feeling weird.  Blood sugar 86, so I don't know if it is that or not.  Am hoping it will go away, or I can just sleep through it.....

(sorry Rocket!)  lol, Karen...  This is your way of just making sure I'm reading your stories, isn't it?   :lol:

Sorry to hear about your septic issue AGAIN.  Sigh.

And -- will be interesting to see if you are now that in-tune with your body, and if it is giving you THAT strong of signals about the sugar in the sun butter!

I do know this:  When I stayed ultra low-carb all week on Carb Nite and then I had a night full of sugar......  WOW my anxiety was UP the next morning.   I hated that feeling.  That is part of what led me to just: keto.

Day 37

Ketonix:  51 yellow

FBS: 90

M1:  2 egg muffins, coconut cream

BS:  71

M2:  spinach, west african chicken stew, coconut cream

Ketonix:  (will update this later)

Didn't sleep well last night at all.  Think I finally fell asleep after midnight, then woke up every hour or so.  Not what I wanted to do the night before my test.  I did pass it anyway :)  Then, I spent the rest of the day dealing with the septic back up.  I had the tank drained - nothing wrong there.  Apparently there is a blockage in the main drain.  I have since spent the rest of the day trying to get someone out to take care of that. As I sit here at 730 pm, I finally had MrPlumber call me back and they are on their way :)  I am praying that they can get it unclogged tonight so that I can go hiking tomorrow.  I was having a bit of a pity party earlier this evening thinking about not being able to go because I had to sit home and wait for a plumber.....  

Day 37 addendum

Ketonix (evening):  65 (woohoo) red

MyPlumber came through!  They showed up at 830, and left at 10pm.  Cleaned out a major clog.  Also had some misinformation put straight.  The vent pipe in the basement isn't really a vent and I can cap it off.  So, no more back ups into the basement!  Also, when the pipe was "unclogged" last time, it was done with a regular plumbers snake.  This time, the pulled in this big machine with a big corkscrew type thing on it that chewed up the clog and spit it out.  (OK, not technical terms, but it works)  In the end, it left me wondering if last time, the pipe was left partially clogged and it just got that last bit of toilet paper in there and clotted off that narrow opening......  And, they are coming out with a camera in a couple weeks to make sure that they got it all.  Hopefully, I won't have to deal with this again.

The best part of it (because it wasn't the bill) - I GET TO GO HIKING IN THE MORNING!

Which means, I am getting  up in about 6 hours....  time for bed :)

Day 37

Ketonix: 53 yellow

FBS: 91

BS:  117 (1.5 hours after hiking)

M1:  2 egg muffins, guac

BS:  (forgot)

M2:  brat, green beans, ghee

BS:  76

M3:  chicken thighs, sour cream

Ketonix:  67 red

Had a great day hiking even though I struggled.  I finally figured out why I have been waking up with a very mild headache each morning.  I think I am dehydrated.  I haven't been drinking water as much as I used to (I think I drank less than 1/2 L yesterday).  Just not thirsty.  Anyway, I was tired when I got up.  As soon as I started hiking, I just didn't feel energized like I usually do.  Then, every time I exerted myself a bit and my heart rate went up, I because dizzy and nauseous.  After about 2 hours of this, I began to realize that I hadn't even peed since I had left the house 4 hours before.  So, I grabbed my water and started drinking.  I only averaged 1 mile an hour - I needed lots of breaks as I was climbing the hill.  Anyway, after making almost 5 miles, I gave up (1/2 mile from the top) and came back down.  Down hill was much easier.  I didn't need any breaks and felt better on the way down.  I still got that feeling when I had short uphill sections and had to go slowly.

Overall, I still accomplished a 9 mile + hike.  My legs weren't tired either.  As long as I kept my heart rate down, I was fine.  I finished off 2 L of water on the hike, and a third on the drive home.  I now have my fourth in front of me.

The best thing is this:  last night as I was getting ready for my hike, I thought I would stop at my favorite ice cream place on the way home.  I decided that it was ok to have just one scoop.  On my way home today, I was still thinking about it, but wasn't hungry.  Then I started asking myself if I really needed it - and decided that I didn't.  But, although I didn't need it, I still sort of wanted it.  Then I realized that it was just a habit, and I really didn't even want it.  So, I didn't :)

Then I started asking myself if I really needed it - and decided that I didn't.  But, although I didn't need it, I still sort of wanted it.  Then I realized that it was just a habit, and I really didn't even want it.  So, I didn't :)

Congratulations.  Well done.  :)

Day 40

Ketonix: 62 red

FBS:  87

M1:  2 egg muffins, guacamole

BS:  86

M2:  (Party at work):  pancetta/mozarella rolls, colby cheese, salami slices, 2 bites of buffalo chicken dip, 3 deviled eggs, olives :)   

(what I skipped at the party:  cupcakes, cookies, pinwheels, crackers, cinnamon rolls, eclairs, cream puffs.....)  - scary part is that I was really craving a salad.  However, once I got home, I was feeling a bit too full to eat anymore.....

Ketonix:  54 yellow

My goal for the rest of the week:  red zone in morning and evening on my ketones.  I do notice that when I eat later, my numbers are lower.  I am also testing my ketones around 7-8pm as I am heading to bed.  Makes me wonder if I would do it a couple hours later if it would be any different....

Drinking a little bit better, but only got 2 L in today.  Am working on my third right now.  Also, very sore from my hike 3 days ago.  I started to feel some soreness yesterday, but worse today.  Not quite the same "muscles sore from working out" kind of feeling - a bit different.  Am hoping that the weather is ok this saturday so I can get out hiking again.  We will see.

B)   You're too good at this.

You know, I don't really feel that most of the time.  I almost feel like I am just waiting for that "to heck with it" attitude to kick back in and say to myself "you deserve that cookie" and then I will have all those cravings come back.......  At the same time, I am enjoying the fact that although I think about having some of those things that I really used to enjoy, I don't have to have them.  I was just as happy eating the cheese and meats (have to admit that it was in the back of my mind - what in the world is my blood sugar going to look like in the morning after salami and buffalo chicken dip - I mean, I know that the buffalo sauce has to have sugar in it...).  I was also able to stop eating when I was no longer hungry.....  usually at buffets/parties, I am the one hovering at the food table eating like the world is ending, or I will never see another piece of food again.  That control really felt good :)

I have come to realize that it is not just me, either that has to take pride in this accomplishment - you do too! (Yes Brewer5, that means you!)   And Kirkor, Meadowlily, Lady M, Carlaccini, littleg, Glenn R, Tom the moderator, Wholemama, Dnnasttn, Chiggercane, LisaPT, Tinman57...  and so many more who read my logs (as boring as they are) and have supported me and given me advice, and stood by me, and encouraged me, and just been there for me on this journey.

Day 41

Ketonix:  44 yellow

FBS:  87

M1:  egg muffin (1), coconut cream, deviled egg (1.5 eggs)

BS:  88

M2:  turkey slice, 4 shrimp, celery, cucumber and broccoli with french onion dip, green beans with butter

BS:  (forgot)

M3:  ham, green beans and butter and 4 shrimp

BS:  83

M4:  venison patty, cheddar cheese, bacon, sour cream, guac, dill pickles

I have been hungry all day today.  It was also the free holiday meal at work today.  I didn't have the mashed potatoes, stuffing, egg nog, punch, or the cakes.  Didn't feel like I missed anything either.  I was wondering all day why I felt so hungry.  Maybe not enough fat in my meals (most likely), but I also went with it and fed myself.  I did the best I could - but it was like an act of congress just to get a pat of butter instead of margarine.  Sigh.  When I got home from work, I was still hungry, so I made myself a good fat filled meal :)  I feel better now.

Best news of the day:  I got my letter of congratulations for the promotion at work - the one I work on so hard for this fall :)

Congratulations!  I was so surprised to see my name listed - I love visiting here and reading about your exploits - keeps me motivated.  Looking forward to reading in 2016.  And I'm considering doing another attempt...still not sure though.  Modified approach seems to be better for me. 

Day 45

Sorry I have been MIA!  Been a busy week.  I haven't done any measurements for the last few days, but have been eating essentially the same as I have been over the last few weeks.  Last night was our work Christmas party.  I ate well, but did indulge in a drink (minty kiss martini).  I really enjoyed it - and it didn't lead me to the dessert :)  I didn't even miss them!

I didn't do any measurements today either.  I had plans to go hiking after taking DS to work.  I woke early and went to get a Spot Gen 3 (finally getting one since I hike so much alone and they have a really good rebate going on right now).  I then stopped by the vet with my beagle since I thought she had an ear infection.  She had been very clingy over the last few days, and last night she wouldn't go to her bed, trying to climb though the dirty clothes, under the bed, etc.  DS said that when I am not home she has been barking at his door until he lets her in his room - just doesn't want to be alone.  This is very unlike her.  In the end, I was at the vets office for 5 hours (so much for the hike).  The vet wanted me to see a veterinary neurologist - thinking something wrong with her brain - tumor, stroke - or a tick born virus causing neuro problems.  I refused - I just can't afford it.  I ended up coming home with oral meds for a "slight" ear infection, antibiotics for the possible tick infection, and ear drops.

So, things are busy but haven't gotten me off track.  I still haven't been craving sweets or having any desire to go "off plan".  Am feeling pretty good physically.  DD is going to meet DS and I for lunch and then we are going to have our Christmas together before she goes back to her dads.  I think I am finally going to get that Ribeye (or maybe prime rib) that I was wanting at Thanksgiving!)

M1:  egg muffins, sour cream, bacon

M2:  spinach with clams/mussels/scallops cooked in butter and garlic, sprinkled with bacon

Archived