Day 30 feeling down and discouraged

mtjPN

I am just finishing up my third W30 (in about 2 years).  I have learned so much about my body and what is good and bad for it through these months.  I know I can't eat gluten without lots of pain and inflammation for days.  I know that even one almond can make me hurt for a day! 

I'm feeling really frustrated cause this time there's something(s?) that is stll bothering me.  I think the best way to describe it is "gut inflammation"--lots of discomfort and outright pain in my belly and intestines, coupled with general achiness.  Not a lot of bowel disturbance (though from time to time that will join in the symptom fun--seemingly randomly.)

I've been down in the dumps about it cause I usually feel SO GOOD on the whole 30.  There's seriously nothing different in my food choices this time around (no really, I'm kind of a creature of habit and I'm eating the same this time as other times...)  I just think my general pattern seems to be "the more I eliminate, the cleaner I eat the more stuff bothers me"  Which makes sense to some degree, but I'm starting to feel like it might never end and I feel more like my body is punishing me for working really hard to be healthy rather than rewarding me. 

I'm overwhelmed thinking about how to approach the next 30 days.  I definitely won't be reintro'ing anything, but how do I figure out what else to eliminate?!

(I don't eat cow or pig, just fyi)

I am avoiding (in additon to all the W30 stuff): Tree nuts (incl. almonds), garlic, and onion.  These things have been proven to make me feel awful.  I am also--starting this week--eliminating everything that may cross react with almonds (which is basically a bunch of fruit including all the "stone fruits" apples cherries strawberries...) just in case that's what's up...BUT I'm still having symptoms sometimes.  Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.  It really makes me want to cry.

The FODMAPs symptoms and lists don't resonate with me (though, I do see the wheat, onion, garlic group glaring at me--could only ONE group be a problem?) (Avacoados, for instance have always been friends...there are others like that that I "trust")

I feel like my food choices are severely limited (and NO flavor without garlic and onions--yes I'm being bratty now) and STILL I feel crappy--how much more can I really eliminate?!  It makes me want to throw in the towel and eat a chocolate crossaint with a maple latte. (no, not really, but it sure sounds easier--and delicious.)

Really I'm grasping for some systematic way to approach this...or something to hold on to.  Help!

I am just finishing up my third W30 (in about 2 years).  I have learned so much about my body and what is good and bad for it through these months.  I know I can't eat gluten without lots of pain and inflammation for days.  I know that even one almond can make me hurt for a day! 

Really I'm grasping for some systematic way to approach this...or something to hold on to.  Help!

It sounds like you need to work with a qualified clinical nutritionist, or functional medicine doctor.

Don't mess with this, this is your health. Be sure you see someone with a  legitimate qualification who can work through this with you and order appropriate bloodwork etc. 

I'd recommended going fully AIP (Auto Immune Protocol) and eliminating everything that could possibly be an allergen. 

Have you tried eliminating eggs? 

I know it sucks and its a total pain in the ass. You have my empathy. 

Have a look at these AIP sites. I promise you, many of us who have to eat AIP because we have auto immune issues, eat yummy and tasty food all the time.

http://aiplifestyle.com/is-aip-a-good-fit-for-you/ 

http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity/the-autoimmune-protocol

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/

http://www.phoenixhelix.com/paleo-autoimmune-protocol/

I must admit, I would approach it slightly differently to Brewer5. If you suspect you have issues with only one group of FODMAPs, eg fructans, I would eliminate everything on the list with fructans, (under both the avoid and the be careful column), then see if your symptoms disappear, or get worse when you reintroduce them.

I wouldn't just remove the WORST culprits from each group (the avoid list) as that way you will still be ingesting small amounts of all the fodmaps, including the ones you suspect give you trouble!

leah, I've seen your re-intro log, and it seems you definitely have more experience than I do on this one.  

All I know is -- in the past, I have eaten for several days in a row, cutting out everything in the Avoid and Be Careful sections, completely -- and I felt SO much better.  Just today, I realized I needed to give this a try again, because I just can't take the bloating.  But I thought I'd start with the Avoid and see how far I got with that.  I wasn't thinking about the different "groups" of FODMAPs, at all.  Great point.

You all are great, thanks for the thoughtful responses!

I think you're all right, that I'd be really well served by seeing a professional on this.  It's hard to imagine FINDING that professional...I can't imagine finding someone versed in this stuff locally, and I don't think I can afford Dallas right now.

I think I'm going to avoid ALL FODMAPs for a week and then slowly intro them in categories.  At least then I have some additional definitive additional info if I'm still lost and feel like I have no other option besides a professional.  It's a little overwhelming and I'm a little pessimistic cause my symptoms don't quite match with what I read...but what's a week of strict eating?  To think that I could find an ANSWER is highly alluring right now--kind of ready to try ANYTHING...

Someone asked about eggs--I haven't done a real egg elim, but I was away recently and had a few accidental egg free days (good chicken leftovers) and was still bumping up against problem food(s) then.  Doesn't mean I might not benefit from trying a longer elim.  Maybe after FODMAPs.

Thanks again folks!

I'm not well versed with the FODMAPs, but I would suggest that you make sure you eliminate them all for long enough that you have at least a week symptom free (so it might take a week to eliminate the bloating, then go for another week after that). Then start with the groups that you're fairly certain you don't have a problem with, as this will speed up the process (as hopefully you won't have any symptoms to wait out). Then just make sure you have 2-3 days symptom free between the intros.

So all up, it might actually take you a month or more to eliminate and reintro everything - so make sure you don't have any holidays or the like planned during that time.

I have eaten completely from the "Safe" list today, and I don't feel bloated or distended at all.  It really is a night and day difference.  

One day last week -- ONE day of this Whole 30, I had ONE apple -- and my digestion was completely off for well over 24 hours.  That may sound extreme -- but I assure you, I am not being dramatic.  I just went back and looked at my food log for that day, and I also consumed asparagus, broccoli, onion, and a few apricot kernels in that same meal (and of course garlic powder) -- and sweet potatoes that night (all FODMAPs).   :rolleyes:

So happy for you. I hear you on the apple thing, they have given me stomach aches since I was a child, and nobody believed me, so I started doubting it myself. I mean, "An apple a day..." and all that?!?! But you never regret listening to your body. Just make sure, as other posters have said, you allow yourself enough symptom-free time before and between reintroductions so you can tell what causes you issues (do as I say, not as I do LOL)

Best of luck

You all are great, thanks for the thoughtful responses!

I think you're all right, that I'd be really well served by seeing a professional on this.  It's hard to imagine FINDING that professional...I can't imagine finding someone versed in this stuff locally, and I don't think I can afford Dallas right now.

I think I'm going to avoid ALL FODMAPs for a week and then slowly intro them in categories.  At least then I have some additional definitive additional info if I'm still lost and feel like I have no other option besides a professional.  It's a little overwhelming and I'm a little pessimistic cause my symptoms don't quite match with what I read...but what's a week of strict eating?  To think that I could find an ANSWER is highly alluring right now--kind of ready to try ANYTHING...

Someone asked about eggs--I haven't done a real egg elim, but I was away recently and had a few accidental egg free days (good chicken leftovers) and was still bumping up against problem food(s) then.  Doesn't mean I might not benefit from trying a longer elim.  Maybe after FODMAPs.

Thanks again folks!

Find a qualified professional who you can afford.

I had an allergy test done about a year ago, and found out I had a genuine food allergy to tomatoes, garlic, carrots, celery and pork - seemingly innocuous things, and all Whole30 approved. Tomatoes, garlic and pork were a 3 out of 4 (with 4 being the worst). Translation: good foods doing nasty stuff in my body. I would have NEVER guessed these foods through elimination and re-introduction as none of them are really related. Might be a good place to start. Obviously an allergy is going to cause all sorts of nasty problems.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived