Severe Lactose Intolerance post Whole-30

krh2013

Hey... my husband and I finished up our first whole30 about three weeks ago. (we love it. like, marry-me-whole30 love it.) Since it was our first one, we have been gradually introducing foods and testing our limits to see what kind of allergies might show up. Apparently, my husband has a perfect gut, because he is 100% fine with anything. He is much happier and has lost 20 pounds since starting it. It is incredible.

I, on the other hand, have apparently become severely allergic to lactose. I believe I can have cheeses (I'm assuming because they are aged, and contain less lactose) but any milk, yogurt, sour cream, or cream has sent me into intense cramps and eventually vomiting. Before Whole30 I had no problem with dairy, unless I drank a ton of milk or ice cream, so I'm surprised by the new sensitivity. After the second round of puking, I have become so tired of being laid up for such a dumb and little amount of dairy.

Has anyone else had such a strong reaction to something that used to be completely fine?! On the rare occasions that I would like something creamy, are them probiotics or supplements I could take to help heal the problem? Any advice, or even "yes, me too!" stories would be helpful. Thanks!

The sensitivity isn't new. Here's how it works: you continued to eat dairy day after day, week after week. You were sensitive to it, but your body developed a thick mucosal lining in your stomach and intestines to protect you from it. Your system was irritated and inflamed, but symptoms were less dramatic and more constant so you didn't notice them. When you stopped eating dairy, your body shed that mucous and inflammation, and you got used to feeling subtly better, so effects from dairy were much stronger when reintroduced. This is exactly why we do this 30-day elimination. You now know that you have a strong sensitivity to dairy, so you can avoid it and feel good. Awesome!

Also for your husband...did he have any other improvements other than weight loss? I don't severely react to anything right away, but every time I let things creep into my diet in higher doses I start feeling foggier, sleepier, and grumpier. I also noticed some foods were harder to stop eating than others. Like if I make a pot of white rice I digest it just fine but I can keep eating it until it is gone hungry or not. 

This happened to me, too! I was so sick the first time I tried a splash of creme in my coffee! I reduced the amount and added a drop here or there (I was on vacation) and it wasn't too bad. But I did another Whole30 and haven't had dairy in nearly 4-5 months so I doubt I could handle it now

After 2 and a 1/2 Whole30's I discovered it was dairy for me too. Puffy face, sluggish, acne and my stomach would ache. Half and half or whipping cream in coffee. Not excessive amounts. Just a bit and the stomach ache would hit. Yikes! I feel so much better with dairy out of my life. Who knew? 

• 1 month later...

It's been a couple months since you posted this topic, but I just finished my Whole30 and I introduced milk back in - about one and a half to two hours later, I started cramping and had to RUN to the bathroom. Tried it at a second meal; same thing.  I am still nauseated four hours later.  I will try it at a third meal, then kiss it goodbye.  It goes back to: Does it make me healthier or less healthy?  I loved milk before, but now that I'm more in tune with how my body SHOULD feel, I thing I'll have to end the relationship with regular milk because it's doing me no good. 

I did, however, go out and buy some lactose free milk to try, so I am hoping it is the lactose and not the casein or whey.  I will also try reintroducing other milk products...but as it is now, I will need a couple days to get over the milk reintro.  

• 4 weeks later...

AmyJanette,

I would try introducing Almond milk, coconut milk, or cashew milk to your diet in replace of regular milk. The unsweetened kind is delicious and you can even make your own. Some people (like myself) have issues with nuts so I use it sparingly. If you are going to replace milk in a recipe, I'd opt out of almond milk, as it can add a weird flavor. Try the others. It might take some getting used to, but the lack of stomach issues is so worth it. Also, lactose free milk isn't that great and can still cause some upsets. I haven't drank milk in over 3 years and I don't miss it at all.

• 2 weeks later...

It may be too late to respond to this thread but I recently just completed my first Whole 30. About a week later I reintroduced a Quest protein bar in which made me extremely nauseous !!! I was curious whether or not it was the whey protein in it. Then just today I had one of my old favorites of greek yogurt in which the same thing happened! I'm starting to think its the whey. I think I'm going to a whole 30 for life!! 

It may be too late to respond to this thread but I recently just completed my first Whole 30. About a week later I reintroduced a Quest protein bar in which made me extremely nauseous !!! I was curious whether or not it was the whey protein in it. Then just today I had one of my old favorites of greek yogurt in which the same thing happened! I'm starting to think its the whey. I think I'm going to a whole 30 for life!! 

12sampler.jpg

S'MORES
box_smores_left_664x362px_3.png
20g Protein
S'MORES
Ingredients: Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), Soluble Corn Fiber, Almonds, Erythritol, Water, Unsweetened Chocolate, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter. Contains less than 2% of the following: Cinnamon, Sea Salt, Baking Soda, Palm Oil, Steviol Glycosides (Stevia), Sunflower Lecithin, Sucralose, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 (60g)
Calories 180
Calories from Fat 70
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Amount/Serving
%Daily Value*
Total Fat 8g
12%
Saturated Fat 2.5g
13%
Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 5mg
2%
Sodium 180mg
8%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Magnesium 4%
Phosphorus 15%
Amount/Serving
%Daily Value*
Potassium 85mg
2%
Total Carbohydrate 23g
8%
Dietary Fiber 13g
52%
Sugars 1g

Erythritol 6g

Protein 20g

Calcium 15%
Iron 6%
Contains: Almonds and Milk-Derived Ingredients.

box_cookies_cream_left_664x362px_2.png
21g Protein
REAL COOKIE CRUMBLES AND DELICIOUS CREAM
Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides* (Prebiotic Fiber), Water, Almonds, Cocoa Butter, Erythritol. Contains less than 2% of the following: Cocoa Powder, Natural Flavors, Coconut Oil, Sea Salt, Sunflower Lecithin, Dextrin, Baking Soda, Steviol Glycosides (Stevia), Sucralose.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 (60g)
Calories 180
Calories from Fat 60
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Amount/Serving
%Daily Value*
Total Fat 7g
11%
Saturated Fat 3g
15%
Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 5mg
2%
Sodium 310mg
13%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Magnesium 6%
Phosphorus 10%
Amount/Serving
%Daily Value*
Potassium 95mg
3%
Total Carbohydrate 22g
7%
Dietary Fiber 17g
68%
Sugars 1g

Erythritol 2g

Protein 21g

Calcium 15%
Iron 2%
Contains: Almonds, Coconut and Milk Derived Ingredients
21g protein & only 3g net carbs 
The only true low carb bar on the market.
*Isomalto-Oligosaccharides are Prebiotic Fibers derived from plant sources

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

That's some valuable data you're gathering.  But don't get roped into Whole30'ing for life, that's not really what this is for.  Are you going to forever avoid vanilla extract and ketchup and dijon? Are you never going to eat rice again ever? Or a popsicle when it's hot out?

Use your "whey/dairy doesn't agree with me" and create yourself a WholeTrace program that has YOUR rules and fits with your context. By doing that you will have scored the most value from your program!

Archived