Starting January 5th! Who wants to start with me? :)

Seattleram

I was spared to start yesterday but accidently ate something without thinking about it and it had sugar in it. ...so. ...I'm starting officially today instead! Now I just need to be more careful of mindful eating...I let myself get off target over the holidays

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was spared to start yesterday but accidently ate something without thinking about it and it had sugar in it. ...so. ...I'm starting officially today instead! Now I just need to be more careful of mindful eating...I let myself get off target over the holidays

I seem to recall reading somewhere that if you accidentally eat something off-plan you don't have to start over. 

Yesterday wasn't too difficult for me because I've been eating paleo-ish for a while, but I was surprised at how difficult it was to give up the couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate I usually eat after dinner! I actually ended up with a bit of a headache and I wonder if missing that tiny bit of caffeine had anything to do with it. I suppose it could also be the extreme drop in temperature we experienced here in Michigan yesterday.. 

Hi everyone!  I started my first Whole 30 yesterday as well.  I'm happy to see this thread!  I'm going on this journey alone (a supportive but not-willing-to-do-this husband and kids), so commiseration and support are definitely needed. :P  

I can definitely commiserate  :mellow: I try to avoid making separate dinners for my husband and kids but sometimes I make them a side dish of rice or something that I don't eat myself. Last night I made beef stew and everyone else had some bread and butter with it.

Yay!  Thanks for the commiseration Chandra! 

I've done that before - made a Paleo dinner, but threw some garlic toast in the oven or made some noodles for everyone else.  For this W30, though, I'm being a bit of a beast & cooking only what I can eat.  B)

Hi all! Day 2 wrapping up for me!

Day 1 as I mentioned, was dreadful. I had all my headaches etc then, and my awful morning. I tried to force myself to eat big proteiny meals and it was incredibly hard. I don't usually eat breakfast at all, so had to basically force it down my throat and felt really ill as a result.

Today however has been awesome! I decided not to push it too hard and ease into a new way of eating. So fruit and some veggies for breakfast this morning once I got to work and had woken up a little. Made a lovely simple chicken and potato/sweet potato curry for dinner, and even the Mr said it was one of the best curries we've made! I made a big batch for leftovers for my lunch tomorrow too ^___^ Can't wait! Even whipped up a little bowl of baked apples with cinnamon and nutmeg so I feeling quite pleased with myself.

Ametev, I'm in Australia and I am struggling finding a lot of compliant foods too! Bacon and cold meats are out of the question, everything has sugar. Can't even find any cranberries or apple sauce without added sugar. It's tough without a Whole Foods style store over here!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Day 2!

lickmycarrots - (love your user name ;)) I'm in the US but also live in an area with no Whole Foods style store. It's been tough to find a lot of the ingredients I want, but I've been able to order several online. I cannot bring myself to pay the price for the Whole30 compliant bacon though!!

Sounds like you felt bad the first day from a lack of carbs. Having a bit of fruit and potatoes will definitely help with that. Just make sure ease off them a bit gradually if you are primarily trying to lose weight!

Day 2 for me as well. Day 1 went well, although it ended with a killer headache so I just had a sleepy time tea and went to bed early.  Woke up this morning tired, but feeling better.  Trying to make a point of not taking anything when I have a headache unless there is no other option.  Fingers crossed.

I am in Canada and find that the prepared meats are tough to find, but we do have a local "weird food" store :D in town so I can still get some basics like the coconut aminos and balsamic vinegar with no sulfates.  I wish I could find some compliant bacon and sausage!

My husband is doing this with me, although he works nights (me days) so he's not necessarily going to be as compliant as me as he won't read labels and such, just eat what I tell him.  My kids are really good by now about eating what is put in front of them, I usually do add some rice or pasta to their plates to fill them up.

Onto another good day with, hopefully, little withdrawl!

• Administrators

Hi Kboom!  If you can't find compliant sausage, many of us just make our own as patties rather than the links.  Clothes Make The Girl has an awesome "Italian Sausage Seasoning" recipe and there are others over the interwebs.  Just mix it into ground pork and form into patties.  Toss those in the freezer raw between layers of parchment paper and you have sausage instantly when you want it.  They cook perfectly in a frying pan from frozen!

Hi Everyone - I am doing my 2nd Whole 30, starting on Jan 5th.  I completed #1 on Nov 25th.  I've remained about 95% compliant (really remained more true paleo) since.  This time I am planning to incorporate more exercise, more variety in my cooking and ease more in to a sustained way of life.  It was a terrific experience! 

Ah, day 2. I Love feeling like I drank all day yesterday when I didn't and won't have even a sip of beer for 28 more days. I have a headache, my eyes hurt in sun light, my patience is low and I'm exhausted. Oh yea, did I mention that I'm a nanny for two young children. I'm normally very organized. Well this morning not so much. It took me, what felt like, forever to get both kids up and ready to go play today. Then, once I finally got them in the car, the adorable sounds that I normally join in on, just about drove me crazy! Lucky for me, I have done this before and know that if I give it a few days, all will be well once again.

Hope everyone is having a good day two. We can and will do this!

Ah, day 2. I Love feeling like I drank all day yesterday when I didn't and won't have even a sip of beer for 28 more days. I have a headache, my eyes hurt in sun light, my patience is low and I'm exhausted. Oh yea, did I mention that I'm a nanny for two young children. I'm normally very organized. Well this morning not so much. It took me, what felt like, forever to get both kids up and ready to go play today. Then, once I finally got them in the car, the adorable sounds that I normally join in on, just about drove me crazy! Lucky for me, I have done this before and know that if I give it a few days, all will be well once again.

Hope everyone is having a good day two. We can and will do this!

I too have the hangover feeling, yet didn't get the fun that generally comes prior to this feeling.. I had no slips yesterday, which is good for me. I am a popaholic and drink a ton of milk! Made some eggs with spinach and peppers this morning which was great to eat and I don't feel hungry yet!  Cannot wait to see how I feel in a few days... 

Hi - I thought I'd pop in and suggest making sausage. It's been a breakfast life saver for me as I don't love eggs.  I buy ground meet with no additives and use a mix of turkey, chicken and pork.  Generally in the ratios of  1.5lbs of chicken and/or turkey + .5 lbs of pork (it is dry otherwise...)  I try and make this on Sunday and a batch lasts all week.  There are great recipes online.  This is what I've evolved to make on my own.

• Chop and sauté 1-2 onions (depends on size) when lazy I pulse in food processor (OK almost always)
  • as the onions are cooking peel and chop in food processor 2 apples
  • add  to onions and cook apples and then add seasoning which for me is generally
  • 1T sage, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
  • you could season with anything really, I've also done mild Italian, tarragon and thyme and added fresh parsley if I have it
  • Scoop a patty sized amount and squash on a baking sheet to 1/2 inches.  Bake at 425 for 15 mins until the centers are cooked.  I store them in the fridge and either micro zap or heat up in a pan.  My family likes these too (darn it...)

@bonbons54,  your name says it all!  I should have added a third word: FATIGUE.  When I step back and look at all the body symptoms as information (not problems) then I can see just how much I needed to do this.  Every day is money in the bank!

Dinner: cracklin' chicken thighs from Nom Nom Paleo and plantains!  YUM

Living on nom nom paleo cracklin chicken ( so good!) and pressure cooker bone broth...also yum...tons of spinach.  I need to pay attention to drinking water, and will be slowly re-connecting with the notion of exercise after two months of being essentially off my feet other than for work.  Last time I tried this it was right before the holidays; I only made it for two weeks.  I'm looking forward to getting to day 30!  I feel pretty good, although a little tired and irritable, which I think is the detox speaking...

We're all doing great!

Hi all,

I'm new to Whole 30 and started on 5th Jan as well :) Guess I've been ignoring my diet, generally eat 'healthy' during the week but always have a big blow out at the weekend, too much booze and too much bread! My eating habits are pretty bad- a lot of snacking and just mindless eating when I'm bored or whatever.

I've also noticed over the past few years my... er 'bowl movements' haven't been what they always were, issues with constipation, bloating and diharrea etc so I'm taking on the whole30 challenge with the aim to loose weight, break these bad eating habits and also hopefully just feel more regular and healthy overall!

Been going well so far, I have noticed that I have been REALLY BLOATED though, like, more then normal. I guess this is all the fibre that my body is suddenly having to digest from all the leafy greens and fruit? Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Day 2 here.  I am learning to live in my kitchen!  Even though I ate mostly paleo prior to this and I like to cook, I'm finding it hard to keep track of everything so I'll have what I need.  I don't know if I can possibly buy enough vegetables!  And I miss having a snack, though I've done fine these 2 days without one.  I may have to add one in on days when I'll be doing a harder workout, or when dinner is going to be really early or really late. And I miss not being able to take a quick bite of something, like tonight was spaghetti and meatballs (zoodles for me...well, the store was out of zucchini so I used yellow squash, so "squoodles", I guess! :D ) and I had to remind myself not to taste the noodles to see if they were done!  Aaaah, if only my family would follow in my footsteps...

Two days down and it's been so much easier this time.  The hubby took an early buyout package in May so I have someone home to help me get going in the mornings - cooking breakfast, helping pack my lunch, getting lemon water ready for me, and warming the car.  Life is good and he's making this so much easier for me! 

I'm a little late to the thread party, but I started my whole 30 on 1/5. I completed 2 weeks in April, last year, and am bent on completing 30 days. The holidays got the best of me and I feel like sludge. I meal prepped my lunch for all week and prepped 3 days of breakfast. My biggest challenge will be being out in social situations where I feel pressured to not be a special snowflake. Thankfully my close friends are supportive. It is MY choice! Good luck everyone!

Archived