Starting January 5th! Who wants to start with me? :)

Seattleram

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll start over : ( or I could just go for 35 days!!!

No honestly I can seriously do either, but I'm more curious about how my body responds for a clean 30 days so I am starting over. I'll be joining another forum, so good luck y'all! Read labels, cause it sucks royal ass to start over!!

Hang in there everybody, we are just about past what I think is the hardest part. If you haven't yet seen general flowchart of how you might be feeling at different parts of the 30 days, this general guide was really helpful during my first Whole30:

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Yesterday, for some reason my dear sweet partner managed to forget about FIVE TIMES that I'm doing a Whole30 right now, and offered me, repeatedly, delicacies from his holiday stocking that are absolutely and completely off the map for me right now.  I just about had to throttle him.  Instead, I opened a jar of verrrrrry delicious pickles, and celebrated my small victory.

Keep it up you guys.  The benefits are coming really soon.  I've noticed my sleeping patterns are already starting to improve.

After reading some comments here I made mayo with my immersion blender. Its SO good. Used it to make BLTs! Thanks guys! I also purchased Well Fed 1+2. Anyone have a favorite recipe (from those books or anywhere else)? My favorite recipe I made so far is Cornell chicken!

http://cornell-classic.univcomm.cornell.edu/search/?id=132&tab=facts

I plan to make bora bora fireballs as someone suggested. Yummmm.

After reading some comments here I made mayo with my immersion blender. Its SO good. Used it to make BLTs! Thanks guys! I also purchased Well Fed 1+2. Anyone have a favorite recipe (from those books or anywhere else)? My favorite recipe I made so far is Cornell chicken!

A few nights ago I made the Sunshine Sauce from Well Fed 1, and it was, meh, ok I guess.  I didn't like it on its own, but with Chicken it was ok.  Well! Last night I decided to make the Paleo Pad Thai (but added in zuchinni noodles as well for more "bulk") and it was SO good! The Sunshine sauce made it exactly what I was looking for.

Have fun cooking!

Hi Everyone,

Well I am feeling fantastic :)   Got a lot of my energy back and I have been walking around 5km every day.  Muscles are sore, but this is slowly subsiding.   

I just cant sit still or lounge around at the moment.  Feeling extremely motivated and positive.  

Looking forward to a swim in the ocean this afternoon, followed by a nice long walk.

Glad to see people are finding some of the great resources that are available.  

A few nights ago I made the Sunshine Sauce from Well Fed 1, and it was, meh, ok I guess.  I didn't like it on its own, but with Chicken it was ok.  Well! Last night I decided to make the Paleo Pad Thai (but added in zuchinni noodles as well for more "bulk") and it was SO good! The Sunshine sauce made it exactly what I was looking for.

Have fun cooking!

I made the BBQ sauce Well Fed 2.  On its own it was yeah...ok.  But like you, as soon as I added it to something else, like a lovely bit of steak or tossed through some minced chicken - WOW  The flavors were fantastic :)  My husband loves the stuff!!

I love the Czech meatballs from and the sunrise scramble. Trying a bunch more tomorrow.

Whew Day 7! Almost made it through the first week- great job everybody! Feeling pretty good so far today- although I just woke up so we'll see. I feel like I have been experiencing tiredness, headaches, etc. for longer than most people so hopefully they will all be gone by week 2. 

Yesterday was rough for me. Went to the crossfit in the morning and did the first pretty hard workout I've done in a while. But then I ate pretty much the same meals I always do, not taking into account all the extra calories I had burned. So I was hungry pretty much all day in between meals and because it was the weekend I thought it was ok that I was snacking on walnuts and fruit a lot. In the afternoon I had 2 pretty big handfuls of raisins  :( (first time eating dried fruit since starting) and by the evening/night I had a terrible headache. I can't believe the sugar in those raisins had such an impact on me. So even though I didn't technically eat any non-compliant foods, I was pretty disappointed in my snacking yesterday. Really going to try to be better starting week 2. 

I know I can do this!! Just a matter of mind over stomach haha. 

Hope everyone has a great Day 7 and a relaxing Sunday- we deserve it!

Ooooh, the Well Fed books!  I have lots of favorite recipes from there, and each of these is also a household favorite:

Chinese Five Spice Pork Ribs (I pretty  much always make the Asian Slaw to go with).  Mine don't look like the picture in the book, even if I reduce the sauce in the crockpot, but they are soooo delish!

Sunrise Scramble 

Chocolate Chili 

Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup

Reuben Rollups (my daughter is addicted to these)

Fiesta Pork Chops

Pad Thai (this throws together in a jiffy later in the week if you pre-cook chicken and spag squash during your cookup)

Italian Sausage and Eggplant Strata (I make this one during my cookup to have later in the week on a busy night)

I hope this is helpful, happy eating!

Hello fellow paleos! I started jan 5 and was so ready to get going I haven't looked back at all! I did a whole 30 in August and loved it but my carb binging and wine induldging ways have taken over yet again! Starting day 7 today and feeling pretty good.... Just having sleep issues! I am a pretty light sleeper and remember having issues with sleep last W30. I have Natural Calm from last time and will start having a cup of that in the evening. Anyone else have trouble sleeping?

Higs-pickles!? Is it hard to find compliant ones? I will be looking today!

Hi Penelope!

Yes, pickles are fine as long as you carefully check the ingredients. I am really lucky to have a local source for small batch pickles and fermented vegetables made with all natural ingredients (and no sugar).  I read on this thread that Bubbies brand is a good store-bought variety.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/23607-dill-pickles/?hl=pickles

Pickles are great for you.  Yum!

Hello everyone!! and welcome to day 7!! so far so good. I expected to have cravings and I am fighting them. I still feel as if I am in a fog and a tad bit cranky. That I didn't expect. I am finding this group very helpful, because as I read your posts I realize I am NOT the only one.I am going to be positive and today is going to be a great day!!  I have a party to attend. However, I am prepared, I helped in the menu selection....sneaky ....as soon as I get there I will take a running dash to the bar, get a club soda with lemon, and socialize!!! Have a healthy and 100% day!!  Debbie  

Hello fellow paleos! I started jan 5 and was so ready to get going I haven't looked back at all! I did a whole 30 in August and loved it but my carb binging and wine induldging ways have taken over yet again! Starting day 7 today and feeling pretty good.... Just having sleep issues! I am a pretty light sleeper and remember having issues with sleep last W30. I have Natural Calm from last time and will start having a cup of that in the evening. Anyone else have trouble sleeping?

Hi Penelope

I did a whole 30 mid September and at the end of the 30 days I felt amazing and had lost 15 pounds.  I continued to eat Whole30 with just a few occasional indulges and had lost another 3 pounds on the following 30 days which brought me to November 15.  From Nov 15 to Jan 6th (the day I started because I cheated on the 5th) I managed to gain 10 pounds because I also over indulged and drank way to much also was not feeling as good.  I now know that I can never do that again.  I must stay on board with this way of eating even after the Whole 30 days are up and plan on doing the whole 30 until I get to my ideal weight which may take 60 or 90 days.  The weight always ends up around my stomach and at age 58 the extra 35 pounds is not healthy at any age.  I am defiantly going to do this for 60 to 90 days this time, which I'm hoping will change my bad habits.

Sleeping Yes is hard for me but it comes and goes some night are great and some not.  The thing I dislike and had problems with on the first whole 30 is the dreaming.  No just dreaming about food but having such vivid dreams that are so real that i wake up several times and go right back into the same dream.  Last night I could not go to sleep and was up till 1:00 am and got up at 7:30 this morning.  I feel good and with each day feeling better and better.  My thinking is much sharper and I am noticing this time around I am not as grumpy but the cravings in the evening are still intense.

How are you feeling this time around compared to your last Whole 30?

Day 7 and I'm starting to notice better sleep and more energy even though I've been eating primarily paleo since last May. I also feel "smaller." Wish I could weigh myself! I swear not weighing myself has been the hardest part for me because I've had such consistent weight loss since starting paleo it's almost become a compulsion for me. 

Today is my food planning/shopping/prepping day. I think I might try this chocolate chili everyone here has been raving about.

@JackieK - I'm so jealous of your walk and ocean swim today! Our temps are finally rising to 30 degrees F today in Michigan. 

I tried 2 days ago, and failed miserably, it was all completely liquid, a disaster down the drain :(

I had made Mayo several times with great success but for some reason I had 3 batches in a row not turn out not sure what I did wrong but the last two batches came out fine again.  It was very frustrating to have to throw them out and not know what went wrong.  Don't give up it is worth getting it right I will never go back to store bought mayo.   

Day 7 and I'm starting to notice better sleep and more energy even though I've been eating primarily paleo since last May. I also feel "smaller." Wish I could weigh myself! I swear not weighing myself has been the hardest part for me because I've had such consistent weight loss since starting paleo it's almost become a compulsion for me. 

Today is my food planning/shopping/prepping day. I think I might try this chocolate chili everyone here has been raving about.

@JackieK - I'm so jealous of your walk and ocean swim today! Our temps are finally rising to 30 degrees F today in Michigan. 

Yes the Chocolate Chili was so very good glad I did a double batch and froze some for later.  I feel smaller as well.  I am not as bloated and I'm not holding extra water which makes a big difference.  Not looking forward to having bad breath again which is what happens when your body is running off of body fat.  I am a bit compulsive and have years of calendars and diaries with my measurements and weight so staying away from the scale and tape measure is hard for me as well.  

I started on Jan. 4th. So far so good. I did my first Whole30 in June/July and did a second what turned out to be a Whole16 in October (I stopped when I got strep throat.) I had lost 31.4 lbs since I started. I did gain back 6.4 lbs during the holidays, I was still able to wear my new smaller size pants, but could tell they were feeling tighter. After 7 days, my pants are feeling less snug, so I can tell it is working. I made Chocolate Chili for the first time this round and it was so good! In fact, I am having it for leftovers for lunch today :).

Chocolate chili is one of my staples.  I doctor it though.  Instead of beef I use bison or elk or venison when I can get it.  And ANY version is delicious with a couple carrots and a sweet potato thrown in.  It adds a bit of sweet to the heat.  I made a big batch last night, too.

Keep it up gang!

Made blueberry breakfast sausage (I don't know how to link to the recipe) and was surprised how much I liked it! I also just drank my first cup of coffee in a week. Normally I like coffee with a lot of milk in it, but this time I tried it black - and it didn't kill me! I drink black tea and usually have that in the morning so I wasn't especially missing a mid-morning or mid-afternoon cup of coffee - but Sunday morning breakfast and coffee are a habit. I admit, I'm wary of coconut milk, maybe even a little scared of it -- I have a can of it, but have been putting off opening it. I just don't use that flavoring very much and am not a huge fan of flavored coffee to begin with. Now that I know I can drink a cup of black coffee, it's a freeing sensation and maybe I'll get a little braver about that can of coconut milk and experiment.

I appreciate all the great recipe suggestions! I made panfried (in olive oil) haddock the other night and coated it in chopped up almonds & some shredded coconut -- it browned nicely and looked 'professional' - it even tasted good, althought next time I think I'll dial back on the coconut -- a little can go a long way.

Congratulations to everyone for making it to day 7! Keep it up!

I admit, I'm wary of coconut milk, maybe even a little scared of it -- I have a can of it, but have been putting off opening it. I just don't use that flavoring very much and am not a huge fan of flavored coffee to begin with. Now that I know I can drink a cup of black coffee, it's a freeing sensation and maybe I'll get a little braver about that can of coconut milk and experiment.

I use full fat coconut milk in my coffee and I find that it doesn't taste "flavored" at all.  Just make sure to blend what's in your can once you open it, because it might have separated.  I started whisking it into my coffee and it mixes nicely!  

Archived