The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

Higs - about bacon. Not sure if it's a local brand or not, but I have Gwaltney or Gualtney bacon which is sugar free and 40% reduced sodium. It's very good and I'm glad I found it. Other sugar free bacon is usually almost inedible because of the salt content.

Dave

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gilbert-tucker-margeson-the-mayflower-at

The storms are fearsome! They roll and toss our poor ship which creaks and moans as though it will break apart. My arms and legs are bruised from being thrown about and having things fall on me. 

In one storm, a young man was thrown into the sea, but by God’s good will he caught hold of a line that was dragging in the water and was saved. Just a fortnight ago came the worst storm yet. Aunt Constance, I thought we would all surely drown and become food for the fishes. The ship’s upper works were leaking and of a sudden there was a great snap! Master Carver told us that one of the ship’s main beams had cracked. Many of the crew wanted to turn back, but after much consultation, t’was decided that we would continue . The carpenters and sailors mended the beam and caulked the leaks. Thus we ... we press on. I do not think that I can stand such a fright again. I pray that we reach the New World soon.

Your loving niece,
Lizzy

Mayflower

MeadowLily

Chief, we're listing to one side....I threw Captain Morgan overboard.   I hope you don't mind.     She is no Cruise Ship, after all.   She is a seagoing vessel with men and women of courage, hope and a dream for their future.

MayflowerAtSeaCropped.JPG

Time for us to swab/mop the decks.

No pumpkin spice lattes, larabars, baristas on the ship.   The big rats chewed through every loaf of bread, ate every ounce of cheese and devoured every sack of sugar.  The rats are running around like maniacs with all of that sugar.   We'll get rid of  those dirty rats.    "You dirty rat!"

The only provisions left are proteins, vegetables, good fats,  enough fresh fruits to prevent scurvy, rickets and their teeth from falling out.   Nuts are rationed because there must be enough to go around. Dried fruits and nuts are not a meal.   I'm in charge of the nuts....so don't ask for more than your share.

We can't turn around now for more food.   We've left  it all behind.  No turning back....no turning back...

They sailed on without murmuring or crying.   Captain dcducks told them to dry their eyes and have faith in themselves.   Every single one of them were going to make it to the New World in 30 days. 

Hi friends! This is my first Whole 30 - doing it with my gym as part of a challenge. Technically we start Wednesday, but this seems like the group for me! I've been doing the 21 day sugar detox for the last week, which I'll continue and then transition over to Whole 30. Either way, I'm working on not eating all the white carbs (#ilovewhitecarbs). I gave up soda a few months ago and I'm working on eating less crap and more real food. Looking forward to working through this with you all! My husband washed the floor yesterday so that chore is done!

Sarah

Jeslight-er....here is my favorite.           Cherry Barbecue Sauce 2teaspoons ghee, or fat of choice 1/2cup minced shallots Kosher salt 1 garlic clove, minced 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated (about 1 tablespoon) 1tablespoon tomato paste 1/4cup coconut aminos 1/4cup balsamic vinegar 1/4cup apple juice 10ounces pitted fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries, roughly chopped 1 (1½-pound) flank steak

GrannieD - got your check...all good! Stay away from those Poboys and Café Du Monde beignets also.

Miki.....sweet Miki. So glad you are back. I have been fighting a cold for the past two weeks and just can't seem to shake it. I am run down and without energy so this is the perfect time for the group to get me. The Captain and I have gone our separate ways. I have matured over the past 6 months and have decided that he no longer has a place in my life....or cabinet. Besides, Blackberry Whiskey is a pretty good sippin' drink!

For those that don't know our history...we started on June 9th ...or 6/9.....which became the 69'ers....which became the Dirty 30! Now get your heads out of the gutter and get prepared. You will have one last chance on SUNDAY to weigh yourself. This will be your LAST chance for the next 30 days to hate yourself, be pissed, listen to the scale scream, whine, moan, self-loath, cry, blubber, throw tantrums, and make an ass out of yourself. Once this has been conducted, write it down somewhere and then change your mindset on what you need to do for the next 30 days.

THIS IS NOT A DIET! MAKE SURE YOU FEED THE MACHINE! Just stop putting garbage in it.

Your mind is a great tool that works day in and day out to keep you above the dirt. Remember, we are NOT trying to lose weight because we CANT lose weight. If I tell you to lose your car keys....you can't! You can throw them in the woods but your mind still has an idea of where to find them. If someone asks you "have you lost weight? " your mind immediately starts looking for the pounds you lost. Its also good enough to add on a couple extra just for insurance purposes.

We will be "moving closer to our ideal weight"! You decide the weight that you want to weigh and tell yourself that everyday! "I weigh ???"! Tell yourself that three times a day and MOVE towards that weight. YOU ARE LOSING NOTHING!

Ok, run along rabbits.....I have to go defend Freedom and Democracy across the globe!

Dave  

THIS IS GREAT - THANKS, DAVE-

I SURE DID FIND MINE - WOW- THE SCALES TOLD AN UGLY STORY YESTERDAY.

BUT TODAY IS THE BEGINNING OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL -

LET'S ALL GET READY FOR A GREAT RIDE!!

SADIE

oh how i would have loved to scrub the floors today, but sadly ..... that'd be my oldest daughter's chore and she had it done this morning before I even made it downstairs for the day.... darn! ;):) We run a pretty tight ship at Casa De Light! 

I love Mondays! Y'all might think I'm crazy and I do appreciate weekends and the fun, but by Monday I'm ready for routine! It's raining here which can taper our enthusiasm but I'm knee deep in Latin and Algebra and Government class prep for my homeschool students I tutor on Tuesdays! 

I hard boiled a bunch of eggs, cooked up some compliant pork chops for the next few days lunch, and have a yummy soup i saw on instagram this morning slow cooking for dinner w/ friends tonight :) 

And my scale? She's tucked away! That might be my biggest hurdle! 

Since I'm technically on Day 12 I'd like to report, while I'm not sleeping super well lately, I AM waking up earlier and more alert! One of the things I was looking forward to happening again- turning me into a morning person w/o the typical grogginess and "just 5 more minutes...." whining, I get up and I'm ready to go! 

I've done the homemade mayo, but its time for another batch. In the past I used my Ninja blender, and while it certainly worked, it was kind of awkward and cumbersome to do that slow slow drip w/ the oil... i'm thinking it might be time to order one of those immersion blenders :) what does everyone else use?? my first attempts w/ homemade mayo were with the stand mixer but they were a bust! I know other people use them with success though! 

Happy Monday rockstars!!!!

Sorry ya'll - not sure what i did - this computer stuff and I aren't the best of friends -(guess I didn't have to tell ya'll that)

Guess I don't have the copy quote thing down yet - well I will just keep trying until I get it right! :blink:

Morning all,

Hope everyone is having an awesome money! It's -42 here today with the windchill..awfully cold but the sun is shining which is awesome :) I'm on Day 12 and SUPER proud of myself. Last time i tired W30 I quit on day 10. Things are getting easier finally, I'm rocking the meal prep and not craving any sugarl. Missing my wine but that's it!

What is this awesome BBQ sauce I've been reading about? I'd love to try it, can someone hook me up with the receipe?

Good luck to all your day 1'ers out there :)

Sam

Woohoo! Day 1 of my '30 Foods' eating plan! lol

The first time I did this way back last June, a co-worker asked me what I was doing and when I said Whole 30, she jumped ahead thinking that there are only 30 foods I can eat.

So, now I have fully embraced it! Even though it's not just 30 foods, whenever I'm offered something at work now, and I decline; when pressed, I just tell them it's not one of my 30 foods.

Immersion Blender is the ONLY way to make mayo!

Nanny...you could wash your eggs and then boil them in the broth, then take them out and eat them. 

Meadow 222 - I am doing the whole 30...with the understanding that when I decide to start adding back in, in will be slow and thoughtful. Keep leading the way!

Dave, floors it is. Did some dustmopping this am...will drab out the vacuum tonight and make a show of it!

Sissie, Sarah, Sam & Sadie, we do have a few S's.

He WD, does Kelly know you call me baby?

Feeling good. Going to up my water intake to flush out the sugar.

Whiskey Dave's Wild Women.

m

I'll say up-front that I will likely only check-in during my lunch hours...I unfortunately miss a lot that way! 

I was glad to read though that if you are non-compliant, you are out of the group.  I have never completed a Whole 30 (though I've started several), but have been part of plenty of groups that would allow me to complain about why I couldn't remain compliant. 

So I shopped on Saturday, and spent yesterday making meatballs and meatloaf for quick go-to dinners on the nights I won't be able to cook, and also a week's worth of salad-in-the-jar for lunches.  

I'm looking forward to clear, non-itchy skin, better sleep, more energy, fewer headaches, and better fitting clothes! 

Meadow - I love the ship theme! But not to worry, the picture you are painting is not bleak. We have plenty of food, delicious food, healthy food! I am glad the rats ate the bread and sugar and the Captain Morgan is gone! We will not go hungry....we will feed the machine.

Samantha - Google "Paleo Steak Skewers with Cherry BBQ sauce"....good stuff!

All, I actually make my homemade mayo in a blender/processor. Yup......still works!

Jeslight...er - find something to clean that takes 30 minutes.......be creative!

Sarah - welcome to our group....be strong and amazing things will happen for you.

I weighed in this morning......the damage is done! The scale will find its place in a dark place deep in the closet. The number on the scale means nothing! NOTHING! I want everyone to realize that YOU have the ability to do great things in the next 30 days. You are healthy enough to lose weight (some more than others). You are healthy enough to be active and to become more active as we go on. But most importantly, you have the STRENGTH ....the MENTAL STRENGTH to do what is right for your body. For those of you who have never cleansed your body like this.......you are going to notice some weakness, maybe some dizzy spells for a couple days......but then the TIGER BLOOD comes in and you feel invincible! You go to bed ...........AND SLEEP SOUNDLY.......wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed. You stroll past the donuts, sweets, and any other trickery that has always captured you in the past. It takes 21 days to break any addiction......and we all have one! Breads, chocolate...whatever it might be..........they will be hanging around....tempting you! But just for a short while.....and then you will start to see improvements in EVERYTHING! Clothes fit better, allergies go away, skin is radiant, joint pain subsides. We even had a fellow member get a new job from doing the Whole 30! Not just because she lost a few pounds and her clothes fit better......but because she BELIEVED IN HERSELF......for the first time! How can you convince people that YOU are what they need......if you don't believe it yourself!

I know...I ramble on......but I'm only speaking the truth! "The only easy day was yesterday" and I want you to have that mindset! Think of all the people who DONT support you! The ones that know that this is "just another diet" that you will fail at. THIS TIME........THEY ARE WRONG! Because this isn't a diet......its a new way of living! You are finally going to treat your body like something you want to live in. Like something you want to last for a while. AND I AM JUST THE GUY TO KICK YOU IN THE ASS WHEN YOU NEED SOME MOTIVATION!

Dave

Tonya - I am going to have my eye on you especially! You are going to be the one! THE ONE! You will be our "Guide On"! A Guide On is the one who carry's the regiments flag. We will "go as you go"! You are going to be the one who loses the most inches, the most weight, changes the most clothing sizes, has the softest skin, gets the better job, marries the great guy (you might have already done this but I'm on a roll), becomes famous! YOU CAN BE THE ONE WHO MAKES OUR GROUP PROUD!

Are you with me Tonya? Do you want these things?

Dave

First day drawing to a close and how's this for a start?? On my way to work and I got in a car accident! Nobody was hurt so thats all that matters. But I made it through the day without inhaling the chocolate in my fridge out of stress. And the only caffeine I had was green tea this morning which is amazing for me. Here are my meals for the day...nothing exciting because I was supposed to do my big shop after work but that is hard to do when your car is out of commission!

M1: hard boiled eggs, tomato, celery, drizzled with olive oil ( celery first thing is something I will never ever have again..ever) - not a lot in my fridge and had to leave early

Midmorning-decaf coffee with coconut cream

M2: mixed greens, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, chicken breast, olive oil and lemon juice dressing

M3: shredded zucchini, sweet potato, spring onion, kale, coconut oil, beef mince, lots of mixed herbs

Hope everyone had a good day!

Angie,

I really enjoy butternut squash - my favorite is roasted with other root vege(beets, sweet potato, parsnips)

sometimes garlic,

Add salt and some coconut oil roast at 425 for about an hour - omg is it good

Archived