Ghee

paulfan1

It's butter with the milk solids removed. Some versions of ghee have seasonings added to them.

And yes, it's a cooking fat. You can also top cooked vegetables with it.  Basically use it like you would use butter.

Ghee is clarified butter that's been simmered even longer.  In both, the milk solids are separated and strained, so all that is left is the fat not the dairy proteins which can be problematic.  The other advantage is it has a higher smoke point than butter so it's great for frying.  Also lasts longer before rancidity.

Hi - i have ghee on hand and I am trying to figure out if it is compliant before I start my Whole30 on Monday. My ingredient list says: Certified Organic Butter. The container talks about the traditional method of pulling out the milk solids. My guess is I am fine - but was hoping someone could tell me if there is something specific I should watch for on the ingredient label. Thanks!

Hi - i have ghee on hand and I am trying to figure out if it is compliant before I start my Whole30 on Monday. My ingredient list says: Certified Organic Butter. The container talks about the traditional method of pulling out the milk solids. My guess is I am fine - but was hoping someone could tell me if there is something specific I should watch for on the ingredient label. Thanks!

What is the brand?

• 2 weeks later...

Home made Ghee is super easy to make and lots cheaper - There is plenty of information online on the steps for making it - below is the link to the instructions I use. Probably the most important thing in making it yourself is starting with Organic Grass Fed - CULTURED butter. That is traditionally how ghee is made. 

http://chefinyou.com/recipe/homemade-ghee

• 9 months later...

Home made Ghee is super easy to make and lots cheaper - There is plenty of information online on the steps for making it - below is the link to the instructions I use. Probably the most important thing in making it yourself is starting with Organic Grass Fed - CULTURED butter. That is traditionally how ghee is made. 

http://chefinyou.com/recipe/homemade-ghee

One can make ghee, which is clarified butter, from any butter. For those on a budget, just buy the cheapest unsalted butter you can find.

• Moderators

I bought Trader Joe's Ghee and the label says: "ingredients: unsalted butter. contains milk." Is this Whole30 compliant? I thought we weren't allowed to have any dairy. Thanks!

Yes, it's fine. The process of making ghee or clarified butter involves separating out the milk solids, which is the part that contains the problematic stuff like lactose, and straining them off so that you're left with just the fat.

I bought Trader Joe's Ghee and the label says: "ingredients: unsalted butter. contains milk." Is this Whole30 compliant? I thought we weren't allowed to have any dairy. Thanks!

It's hard to say. When you make your own ghee or clarified butter you remove the milk solids and the water. But there could be microscopic traces of milk solids left, I suppose, and Trader Joes could just be covering their ass.

I wouldn't eat it, but then, I make my own, which I can do during one episode of Chopped or a similar Netflix TV treat.

This is a legal requirement, some people have severe allergies to dairy of all kinds, including ghee. This label is for them :)

Ghee is commonly used in a number of ethnic cuisines, including Indian, so sometimes you can get great bargains on ghee in stores which carry their ingredients, as it's a staple. The best ghee is yellowish, not whiteish.

Many chefs also prefer ghee over butter due to the difference in smoke point.

Why buy it when it is so easy to make? 

Ehh, I mean yes, it's a straightforward process, but even though I make it quite often myself I can see why someone wouldn't want to hassle with it. You've got to monitor the stove so you don't let it cook too long ... you've got the skimming step if you choose to do so ... and then having the right pot/funnel/cheesecloth/jar combination to pour and filter stuff so it doesn't spill all over the counter. Then washing all the stuff covered in butter residue so it's all slimy.

Or just buy a jar at the store.

• Moderators

Why buy it when it is so easy to make? I make mine using a pound of unsalted butter. It is really very easy and takes me (I'm old) less than an hour. Start to finish, including clean up.

It's easy enough, but I managed to dump ghee all over my kitchen counter when I was trying to do it -- and I'd actually done a version flavored with stuff like turmeric, so not only was my countertop greasy, it was yellow. Plus, I'm not overly enamored with the taste of ghee, so I don't use it very often, just sometimes for something different. It makes so much more sense for me to buy a jar occasionally than to go to the trouble of making it.

Archived