Coconut flour in quiche

Caitlin W

I need to know .... What on earth is a quiche here? In the UK a quiche is a pastry case filled with a savoury custard of cream, eggs, cheese and generally ham and or veg. Definitely not w30 food, coconut flour or not!!

I need to know .... What on earth is a quiche here? In the UK a quiche is a pastry case filled with a savoury custard of cream, eggs, cheese and generally ham and or veg. Definitely not w30 food, coconut flour or not!!

That is technically what a quiche is.

However I am assuming that the OP most likely make the quiche crust-less, used coconut milk instead of cream, dropped the cheese, and use whatever meat and veg, and called it a "quiche"  after all, it kind of looks like a quiche.

Hannlib. I've been eating so much compliant quiche I did even think to specify the differences. The quiche you described is traditional non compilant quiche. What Carlaccini is referring to is what I've been doing which is traditionally called crust less quiche. Basically you bake eggs, veggies, and complaint meat. I mixed in coconut milk and flour to the egg/veg mixture to thicken it cuz my last batch though it tasted good got soggy and looked gross. I wasn't trying to use these ingredients to make a "crust" just to combat sog.

Hannlib. I've been eating so much compliant quiche I did even think to specify the differences. The quiche you described is traditional non compilant quiche. What Carlaccini is referring to is what I've been doing which is traditionally called crust less quiche. Basically you bake eggs, veggies, and complaint meat. I mixed in coconut milk and flour to the egg/veg mixture to thicken it cuz my last batch though it tasted good got soggy and looked gross. I wasn't trying to use these ingredients to make a "crust" just to combat sog.

You might want to try dropping the coconut milk (and coconut flour).

Here is a frittata recipe that is closer to a crustless quiche which I've made multiple times, and it's never soggy for me (I use water instead of coconut milk). http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13365-needing-breakfast-inspiration/?p=143179 (Note: Trader Joe's no longer makes the kielbasa identified in the ingredients. I've since used Wellshire Farms' brand, which I get at my local Whole Foods.)

Ditto was GFChris said. When I have a quiche or breakfast casserole that comes out soggy, I reduce the amount of liquid the next time I make it. When I make mini-quiches/egg muffins, usually I don't even add liquid unless I'm running short on eggs and need to increase the volume to make sure I still get 12 egg muffins. I'm also the person who can't stand "creamy" scrambled eggs though, so your mileage may vary in terms of what you think of egg muffins made without coconut milk.

• Administrators

Be careful of your choice of veggies too, especially if you are planning the bake to be reheated all week.  Mushrooms are a particularly terrible egg-bake/quiche choice because by the end of the week the thing is soggy and watery.

Our egg-bake this week was sauteed chorizo sausage and onions, a head of cilantro, half of that huge bag of "power greens" from Costco (chopped) and about 2 dozen eggs.

I have made egg bakes/frittatas/crustless quiches with taco meat and extra veggies that would be your standard taco toppings--tomatoes, peppers, green or white onions, olives--I typically sub out chopped cooked spinach or power mixed greens (from costco) for the lettuce portion. Love this one. A great way to use up leftovers too! 

• Administrators

I have made egg bakes/frittatas/crustless quiches with taco meat and extra veggies that would be your standard taco toppings--tomatoes, peppers, green or white onions, olives--I typically sub out chopped cooked spinach or power mixed greens (from costco) for the lettuce portion. Love this one. A great way to use up leftovers too! 

That sounds SO good!  I might have to make a revision to the bake I was going to do for next week!  

OH it is sooo good!! It is one of our favorites! If you wanted to you could sub out the spinach and power greens for chopped Kale or Collard Greens too. Our local market sells chopped cooked collard greens that I get every once and a while and change things up with that. If I use frozen greens, I use a 1 lb bag, defrosted and squeezed dry so it the egg mix doesn't get too runny. 

That DOES sound good! I love me some salsa in the morning.

I made an egg bake with a layer of shredded sweet potatoes on the bottom (plus veggies and turkey sausage) this week. It was delicious, but yes, too much coconut milk made it a bit too soggy by day 3. 

Hey guys,

I added coconut flour to my quiche to make if less soggy and it ended up being spony-er than I anticiated. Is this okay or is it too much like bread and not allowed?

-Caitlin

I have found that you need much less coconut flour than normal flour/cornstarch - it is great for thickening sauces!

Archived