Dirty Thirty "Roundup and Ride"!

dcducks1

Sounds like a perfect day loulabelle....

I had a busy one here as is generally the case on a Sunday before the schools finish for summer - prepping uniforms, PE kits, changing bed linen, doing the last of my food prep for the week, and some other bits & pieces around the house. Also spent some time sorting phones as I *finally* got the upgrade I've been due since last August, and since I donated my old phone to the first born (his first ever phone) I've had to help him add/delete apps, emails, etc... He's been making me dizzy this evening going through all the ring tones...  :wacko: 

Started the day with my favourite training session of the week - A spin session. Technically today for me is a rest day but since the Sunday instructor is the best of them all I always try to fit his class in - it's a really well structured class with just the right mix of resistance, speed, & intensity. What he crams into 45mins the others couldn't do in twice that time. You get off that bike at the end of his class and you KNOW you have worked hard. My glutes were already tight from my session yesterday so I'll be doing a bit of foam rolling before bed...

Food wise I've eaten well today & each meal was a rainbow of colours:

PreWO - boiled egg

PostWO - one of those awesome grilled chicken kebabs from the gym
Meal 1 - Jerk Chicken with oven roasted veg & half an avocado

Meal 2 - Steamed salmon with a huge portion of mixed greens, with purple cabbage & sun dried tomatoes, and a helping of olives

Meal 3 - Roast chicken with a salad of rocket & beets, with chopped plum tomatoes (all drizzled in EVOO), and a large side of homemade carrot & purple cabbage slaw

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jmcbn - another gorgeous accounting of your meals and day in the Emerald Isle.

emerald-isle.jpg

You'll have to tell us about the gardens there, someday.  They're so lush and yes, you did invent the potato.  Is there alot of humidity right now in May?   Do you have a fireplace?  It's snowing up higher, I'm watching the mountaintops turn white....again.  

We're having roasted pork chops, Irish potatoes, greens with beet tops, spinach, kale and butter lettuce.

Roasted asparagus and green beans.  

I had a lil ranch lady call me and ask me if I was still off the grains.  She's a famous world renown cookie baker.  I said, yes. She wanted to know where I was getting my B vitamins from...and she reminded me that there's protein in grains and legumes.   I didn't want to burst her bubble but I told her that multi crap (NOOO, I did not say that)...I said grains and legumes do not create protein - they create a double whammy of carbohydrates and if I have a B shortage I can always take a supplement - but so far, I don't have any shortages.  Then she said, surely you eat rice.  Nooo,  I don't eat rice and no white mashed potatoes with cream and butter.   Oooooo, how can you live like that?  I asked her if she was still making her famous chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodles and carrot cake cookies?   Oh, yes, that's what I feed the hands for their breaks.   We loved her cookies but I told her I hadn't had a cookie, piece of cake, a donut, bakery roll, homemade wheat roll in a year.   I have no intention of adding those back in.  When you work hard on a ranch, you can eat cookies every day if that's your dealio.   Ain't my thang if you know what I mean, WD30 gang.

Thanks meadow - maybe it's because I live surrounded by fifty shades of green that I like to see so much colour on my plate - plus it brightens up those grey days we are often prone to!  :D

Good morning all! Idid my chores....and then some. Deck was scrubbed, so was the outdoor patio set. Swept the garage, hauled stuff to the dump, cleaned the master bedroom, scrubbed both tubs, mowed the yard, picked up sticks, worked on the hotrod, did the grocery shopping, went to church, cleaned the living room, did the dishes.

Now I can go to work and rest!

Clean walls, cabinets, countertops, and around door knobs today....................DO IT!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Good morning all :wub:

I slept 10 hours last night without waking once.  Yay Whole 30!  I was waking up every night before.  I got up this morning and threw away the rest of the nuts and raisins in my house.  Ouch.  But better to get rid of $10-15 worth of temptation than to wreck my w30, right?

Yesterday I rode my bike a couple hours in the am.  My team was sponsoring a 'crit' a type of bike race, to benefit a local drug rehab center.   I wasn't racing, but I went to volunteer a couple hours in the afternoon.  I was hungry when I got home so I had a lamb chop instead of an apple or some nuts, as I probably would have before being educated by this nut rehab group! :)

So my temptation yesterday was a big family supper.  My son in law is from the south and we were cooking traditional southern specialities.  It was fun to make, but nothing was W30.  I made shrimp cakes (like crab cakes) and made mine W30 by taking out my portion before adding the corn bread crumbs.  I passed on the sweet potato pie, cheddar biscuits, mint juleps, etc.  Usually we have a fun supper Sunday nights and have some wine, so I felt good about not caving to traditions.  Also I did not feel deprived or tempted.  Must have been all the  protein I already ate.

Tonight is a black tie fundraiser for a local University.  My plan is to order a club soda with olives in it when I get to the cocktail hour and have the server take away my dessert if it is already on the table.  Plus not be too hungry when I go.

Elsie, my road bike is a Specialized S-works.  I love my bike so much. She is like a friend.  We have worked out a lot of stress together over the miles and come home feeling joyful instead!  I feel so good every time I do something I didn't know I could do.  Also, I started racing cyclocross last year and got a Mountain bike for Christmas, also Specialized, a Rumor.  My town is unusual because we have 'Urban Wilderness' called Turkey Mountain that has about a hundred miles of mt. bike trails in town, along a river.  Fun!  But mainly I ride on the road.  It is the season for distance, and I will be doing a couple hundred mile rides this summer.

I was a bookish kid, so I am loving the new athletic stage of life.  W30 is such a great part of it.  And this group is raising the bar on W30.    Today my college age son and daughter are supposed to start W30.  I'm am providing the meal planning, trusting them to follow through.  

m1 leftover chicken curry with mushrooms peppers onions and scrambled egg

m2 same!

snack Lambchop

m3  shrimp cake, sweet potato, butternut squash, and a Kombucha

starting day 6.  definitely want tomorrow to be day 7, not day 1 again, so not not not going to be distracted from my goal tonight!

Good morn to everyone :)

Thanks Dave I can handle the new orders -promise

Must admit yesterday I watched my hubs do some outdoor work you described and I missed out on that feeling of accomplishment not as mobile

now puttering around was the plan but instead

I chose to put my energy into other sporadic

feats such as batch cooking so I rested in between.. On the mend!

Also the wealth of information I read on past members' posts were both enlightening and helpful

Also found decent recipes which will work for us

I'm blessed to have found a place here Thanks!

Amen!

"Also the wealth of information I read on past members' posts were both enlightening and helpful
Also found decent recipes which will work for us

I'm blessed to have found a place here Thanks!"

April - well done on chucking those nuts - I *hate* to see anyone throw away food, but it was for the best - honest!! If you're still feeling the need to snack I'd say you need to up the size of your meal one - it's hard to catch up with a poor start to the day & the need to snack is indicative that there's still room for more.... 

Loving the sound of your bike trails - we have quite a few areas with mountain bike trails around here and it's just starting to get dry enough to go exploring...

Dave, I made a start on your new chore yesterday - I like to be one step ahead of the game! I'll finish up this evening though...

MeGa - hope you're on the mend. Immobility is a drag, but you're eating the right foods at least to help you heal...

Good morning, all! Happy Monday!

Woke at a ridiculous hour this morning, I have to work on "cave-ing" my bedroom today, it is much too light, too early this time of year. But I'm up with the birds, watching the hummingbirds eat breakfast and two tugs pulling loaded barges full of logs this fine morning. The sun is on the mountaintops and all is right with the world.

Had a tough weekend mindset-wise. I'm day 22 today, and spent time over the weekend (sadly? unwisely? uncontrollably?) worrying about what the scale and/or tape measure will show next week. Which is silly, because I have made so many changes and discoveries in just three short weeks: First of all, I feel better than I have in years. Years. I truly can't believe how good I feel, and it's a testament to the "frog in the boiling pot" experiment I'd subjected myself to for the past decade or more. I knew I felt tired and just *yucky* all of the time, but I had no idea that I could feel this much better. If I stop to think about it, it's really quite surprising. Second, I have stopped the Snack Monster. Truly, I was a world-class snacker/grazer. Not until W30 did I learn how much damage I was causing myself by grazing all day, never giving my system time to work through what I'd eaten. And then I was giving it sugar and high-processed grains to work on. And a huge snack attack every night at bedtime. I used to despair at how my snack cravings controlled me at night. Now? I haven't had a bedtime snack since I started, no longer even want one. It is the wonder of full template meals that leave me satisfied. I didn't really realize this second victory until yesterday - and I have to really be thankful for it, because I think that changing that habit alone has done more to heal my body than just about anything else.

All that to say: Sometimes I need to remind myself why I started upon this WD30 way of life, and it wasn't as a weight-loss program. It's easy to lose sight of the forest for the trees...

Dave - I just cleaned all the walls/lightswitches/baseboards not too long ago. So, instead, I'm going to clean ALL the light fixtures for this one. Including those dustraps in the bathroom and the entry hallway. If you don't hear from my by this evening, the Dust Bunnies may have launched a massive attack!

JMC - you are an endless source of great information and encouragement, just reading about how you approach W30 is illuminating and educational for me. Thank you so much for all that you share and comment on, in this thread and others.

MeGA - hang in there, which I know you will because your enthusiasm is fabulous

April - love your cycling stories, keep 'em coming. I don't cycle any longer because of knee issues, but am expecting surgery in the next few years and am looking forward to getting back in the saddle. Your local trails sound wonderful.

Meadow - thinking about you and your Paw and the whole family (on two & four legs), sending good thoughts your way!

Cottage - Hi!!

Who'd I forget... Sorry, & have a lovely Monday!!

Espie wrote:

"Truly, I was a world-class snacker/grazer. Not until W30 did I learn how much damage I was causing myself by grazing all day, never giving my system time to work through what I'd eaten. And then I was giving it sugar and high-processed grains to work on. And a huge snack attack every night at bedtime. I used to despair at how my snack cravings controlled me at night. Now? I haven't had a bedtime snack since I started, no longer even want one. It is the wonder of full template meals that leave me satisfied. I didn't really realize this second victory until yesterday - and I have to really be thankful for it, because I think that changing that habit alone has done more to heal my body than just about anything else."

That was about to be my true confession:  snack cravings can control me at night.  I am a really healthy eater all day, and rarely eat between meals, but before bed the desire to snack hits hard.

Last time I did the Whole60 I followed the letter but not the spirit.  One of my goals is food freedom.  One of my worst habits is (insert cringe of shame here) crawling in bed with my ipad to watch "The Good Wife" while eating a snack. On the W30 I just changed my snack to nuts and maybe dried fruit.  That is not the freedom I am looking for.  That can cause me to wake up with a sore tummy and not want breakfast.   I think my poor start to the day really started the night before.

No nuts in the house should help, but even so, I don't want to crawl in bed with a movie and any food, no matter how healthy. 

Thanks so much Espie for sharing!

No nuts in the house should help, but even so, I don't want to crawl in bed with a movie and any food, no matter how healthy. 

Thanks so much Espie for sharing!

Mine was reading. Mindless eating while reading something engaging. I built a very strong habit by practicing *every* night for a long time. I'm so thankful to have a way to break it. I'm sure there's more work for me to do here, but I am so glad to be letting go of this.

<3 Thank YOU for your story, April!

Archived