Whole30 for picky eaters?

gtinari

I'm really considering my first Whole30 next month when I move into my own apartment, as it'll be easier to do when I'm in control of the grocery shopping. (I'm a college student.)

My biggest fear about the Whole30 is the fact that I'm currently somewhat of a picky eater. Not too many tastes satisfy me. Chicken, in fact, is really the only meat I eat. Occasionally turkey or maybe a hamburger, but that's it. Only seafood if fried, like calamari or clam strips. I eat fruits and vegetables, but maybe 5 or 6 varieties of fruit and only a few vegetables.

My question is, will the Whole30 be able to actually train my taste buds to enjoy new foods? I'm willing to just start buying shrimp or pork and eating it as part of my Whole30 if it means that I'll actually start to like these foods. I'm just afraid that my current picky eating habits will endure through the Whole30 and I'll find myself repeatedly eating from the same limited menu and/or getting bored with my meals.

Thanks!

I'm just afraid that my current picky eating habits will endure through the Whole30 and I'll find myself repeatedly eating from the same limited menu and/or getting bored with my meals.

Definitely possible! I just finished a Whole30 by eating only 10 types of food: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/26685-w30-project-x/

I didn't do it because I'm a picky eater (it was my 4th or 5th W30) but to give an example to others about how you can complete the 30 days without doing a lot of fancy things.

• Moderators

My biggest fear about the Whole30 is the fact that I'm currently somewhat of a picky eater. Not too many tastes satisfy me. Chicken, in fact, is really the only meat I eat. Occasionally turkey or maybe a hamburger, but that's it. Only seafood if fried, like calamari or clam strips. I eat fruits and vegetables, but maybe 5 or 6 varieties of fruit and only a few vegetables.

You're an adult. You don't have to be a picky eater. Whole30 won't automatically teach you to like new things, but if you come into it with an open mind, and a willingness to try things more than once and really give things a chance, you can learn to like them.

You probably want to think about why you like the things you like, and why you don't like the things you don't like, so maybe you can use that information to help you figure out new things that are more likely to have the characteristics you like. 

You might want to plan each week with a mix of foods you know you like, and some new ones. For vegetables, one way to try new things is just to go to the store and look around the produce section. See what looks interesting and buy at least one new thing each week that you haven't tried before. You don't have to buy enough to do a whole big recipe -- most vegetables can be prepared pretty simply. Most things are good roasted -- here's some general instructions for roasting vegetables.  If you prefer to have a plan rather than just picking something at random, look for recipes that look intriguing to you and start with that. Try The Clothes Make The Girl for a lot of options, most of them Whole30.

I'd probably work on branching out on the vegetables first, and then work on the meat later -- if you eat according to the meal template, you'll be eating at least 1 cup of vegetables at every meal, and preferably 2-3, so it's good to have a lot of options. 

There's more than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes, and likewise there's more than one way to cook a chicken - completely do-able and I'd imagine that once you dip your toes in the whole30 waters that you'll find there are more than 5 or 6 veg that you like too.

You're an adult. You don't have to be a picky eater.  

This. So many people tell themselves they are "picky" and sure enough it comes true. Don't sell yourself short! Start writing a narrative for yourself about how you used to be picky but now you are a curious and adventurous eater. Try everything--all the veggies, fats and meats--then try them all again prepared different ways. I'm pretty sure you will find out that you like more foods than you realize.

• Administrators

Also be aware that your tastes can change from childhood to early adulthood to later adulthood.  Something that disgusted you as a child and became part of your definition of yourself probably isn't true anymore.

A couple of personal examples of mine: olives and shellfish.  I was CONVINCED I hated them.  Absolutely would not pass these lips.  And then I gave my head a shake as an adult and tried them with an open mind. They are now two of my favourite things to eat!  Tastebuds mature, make sure your definiton of yourself and your attitude surrounding food matures right along with them.

Also check out this thread; member Shane was having an issue with veggies and meats too and has done a complete about face and seems to be enjoying his new found adventurous side!  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27393-day-11-and-ready-to-quit/ 

Thanks everyone. I'm happy to see this probably won't be an issue. And I am going to come into it with a very open mind about trying new foods. @ShannonM816, I love your suggestion about buying one or two new food items per week and incorporating them with other foods I already like. I'll definitely try that.

• 3 years later...

Agree. People have about 10,000 taste buds and as they ages, they will have about 50,000 working taste buds. That's the reason why kids are more sensitive to bitter as well as sweet than adults. So many kids don't like vegetables and seafood and some meat because they taste yuck for them. I've got one or two I didn't like but suddenly think it's OK when I grew older.

On 5/14/2015 at 11:35 PM, ladyshanny said:

Also be aware that your tastes can change from childhood to early adulthood to later adulthood.  Something that disgusted you as a child and became part of your definition of yourself probably isn't true anymore.

A couple of personal examples of mine: olives and shellfish.  I was CONVINCED I am one of these picky eaters who hated them.  Absolutely would not pass these lips.  And then I gave my head a shake as an adult and tried them with an open mind. They are now two of my favourite things to eat!  Tastebuds mature, make sure your definiton of yourself and your attitude surrounding food matures right along with them.

Also check out this thread; member Shane was having an issue with veggies and meats too and has done a complete about face and seems to be enjoying his new found adventurous side!  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27393-day-11-and-ready-to-quit/ 

I think, as adults, we assign a lot of value to being picky eaters. It gives us a sense of control. It helps limit our choices. And in some ways - it keeps us from experiencing change. I have been picky at times of great stress and less picky when I am relaxed. I think also, expressing fear that something won't work before it even has a chance to start - is a type of control...you are sort of setting yourself  up to fail. I am afraid i won't be able to afford to do whole 30. That whole foods cost too much. That I won't have the time to cook. All this mental noise keeping me stuck in the disease of eating bad stuff, letting sugar and carbs rule my life. Sugar and carbs are tough to kick. Its an addiction for sure. 

Archived