Newbie, Day6, CRAZY bloat (like an alien is about to explode out of me)

BeantownDiva715

Hi All-

I am brand new and sorry if this is too early to be boarding the TMI ship, but...

I am SO RIDICULOUSLY BLOATED!!!! (Yes, I have searched this topic and read many of the fantastic and helpful responses.  :)

I seriously look like I am expecting and heading out of my second trimester!!!!  There are NO new foods I am consuming, everything I've been eating is in line with what I would have had before Whole30 in content AND quantity, the only difference is what I am NOT eating/drinking.  I have followed the rules/guidelines to the letter and I canNOT figure out what this is!!!  I am wondering if it's the kombucha?  Even though I was drinking it before I was also consuming alcohol... I don't know where I am going with that, but, I am willing to consider anything because this SUCKS!!!  Drinking water like it's my job, in case that is a thought.  Perpetually feeling like I might float away.  At least I'd be buoyant!

Nuts?  Not really.  I pan roasted some cashews from the NNPaleo site recipe but would estimate I have consumed a total of 1/2 cup total since Saturday.  Not really unusual, that.

Cruciferous veggies?  Yep, sure!  Some broccoli, cabbage (love the slaw), kale, br sprouts, celery and many more but neither are of any of THOSE unusual, either raw or cooked.

Fruit?  Some.  On average one "serving" a day, maybe 1.5.  Yesterday I was into cherries, today I had a nectarine.  I think there is some fresh watermelon in my future if I feel like it.

Protein?  Yep, grass fed beef and clean pork, some organic chicken, local eggs, ALL recipes taken from the Whole30 book- including the "condiments" (mayo, ranch dressing, etc).

The only things I cook with are ghee (grass fed), EVOO (I hate that Rachel Ray acronym but I'm tired), coconut oil. healthy cooking fats.  Same as before except I no longer cook with Kerrygold.

Liquid?  Tons.   OK not tons but I would say at LEAST 2 gallons a day, either fresh water or mineral/seltzer.  Again not unusual, as a singer I drink a ton of water normally.  I am not much of a coffee drinker, my caffeine intake is limited to the occasional cup of earl grey, green or white tea in the morning.

Exercise?  Yep, mostly walking the last few days, though my norm is heated vinyasa yoga and I have recently started running again.

OY!!!!  Thoughts or even sympathy appreciated.  I know there is a "Holy *insertname* my pants are TIGHTER" stage but it seems early for that and wow, if this is that I am praying to whomever will listen that it passes soon.  I've had that "bloated" feeling before, either at certain times in my cycle or because of something I ate or drank but that usually passes within a day and I have to say this is WAY worse!!!  As in, people are offering me their seat on the train/bus.

Thank you all so much in advance, I am truly, truly desperate.  Even DH, who has had the EVER so good fortune to witness the PMS bloat (and all its other loveliness) is completely puzzled by the fact that I look like I swallowed a watermelon.

Gratefully,

Bean

Ok, just a couple of questions that might help us figure this out....

What did you eat a lot of before that you are not eating now?
Other than Kombucha  are you including fermented foods?
Do you take a digestive enzyme?
Can you give us a few days worth of food & liquid intake along with portion size, activity levels, & stress levels along with how you are sleeping...

Thanks for chiming in jmcbn!!  Was hoping a moderator would stop by  :)  I woke up today with it somewhat better but not completely gone.  Today I plan to be super vigilant in noting when (if) it starts and what I was doing/eating before that.

What did you eat a lot of before that you are not eating now?  Dairy.  Not ice cream but milk, cheese, occasional sour cream and yogurt.  Always whole, organic and local and/or grassfed whenever possible.  I know this will sound nuts to some, but I REALLY enjoy a glass of cold, whole, organic milk.  I wasn't much of a sweet tooth ever... sure I love the occasional high quality cupcake or cookie or chocolate but not a regular thing with me and I was wicked choosy about what I elected to indulge in.  Now, of course, those are completely out.  Also, a glass of wine or two at night was a pretty common thing.

Other than Kombucha  are you including fermented foods?  Fresh pickles, not sure if that counts.  I also have some sauerkraut in my fridge I've been meaning to dig into!

Do you take a digestive enzyme?  No, though this did occur to me.  Would love thoughts/suggestions.

Can you give us a few days worth of food & liquid intake along with portion size, activity levels, & stress levels along with how you are sleeping... Sure!!  Let's do Sat-Mon since it was somewhere along here that the alien entered my body.

Saturday, we slept late so it really was more of a brunch for M1:

Water first, prob about .5 quart, then leftover frittata with spinach, onions and ground beef, cup of earl grey tea w coconut milk, 2.5 slices compliant bacon

M2: left over grass fed ground beef I had made end of the week with diced tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions and fresh herbs (all organic) with a dollop of the garlic aioli.  About 3/4 cup.  I heated up more but stopped when I felt full.  Celery sticks on the side.

M3: Pulled pork carnitas with cabbage/carrots/cuke/snow pea slaw- both W30 recipes, about 1/2 cup each, wrapped in boston bib lettuce topped w a dab of aioli (I have to say I made a pretty great one!!) and fresh avocado.  I'm pretty sure I had some cherries (they've been so great here this year) as well, though not necessarily as "dessert".

OK Sunday, also more of a brunch, we went out.  Tea at home.  I had checked the menu ahead of time and decided on a fresh kale and fennel salad with pistachios (though I didn't eat most of them) dressed with fresh lemon, EVOO and salt, topped with 2 poached eggs.  Mineral water (about 6 cups total) with lime to drink.  Now, in the interest of full disclosure, the first salad they brought me, despite my many questions and politely informing them I was avoiding all sugar, honey, agave, sweeteners of any kind, had honey in the dressing.  After a bite and half I knew it was in there.  (When I asked my annoyed server if he was certain the dressing really was just lemon, OO, salt, pepper as he had informed me his response was "Oh yeah there's honey in there too usually but I told them not to use it."  Well, clearly they did.  I sent it back and got a naked salad with the s/p, lemon, EVOO separated and on the side.)  

The salad (about 2 cups plus 2 eggs) held me for quite some time, and I wasn't physically hungry so I drank mineral water and herbal tea for a few hours.  Dinner was grass fed burgers (maybe 4 oz each) topped with slaw and ranch and wrapped in a collard leaf.  Roasted broccoli and brussel sprouts with a little prosciutto on the side (1/4 cup) as well as carrot and celery sticks. At this point I am at least 2 gallons of liquid in.  Sipped seltzer/filtered water later in the evening.  Fresh watermelon (about 1/2 cup) was involved too as we bought a lovely huge one and had cut it up.  Later that evening my tummy was rumbling, I waited it out to see if it was a craving and then had about 6 rasberries with a spoonful of coconut cream because that's what sounded good to me.  I also roasted a chicken to have for protein salad, salad toppers etc and bone broth of course!  Bloat was pretty bad that day. I daresay that was the first really awful day.

Monday was a little wonky... I was feeling the HUGE bloat at this point and all that appealed to me was fresh roasted kale and fresh cherries!  I DID have some eggs in the morning with the cherries and tea- I had acupuncture in the afternoon and I always try to eat light before that.  After, as I was on the go, I did have an epic bar, which my body may not have loved.  At that point I was so distended that nothing really appealed to me.  Dinner was leftover pork with slaw and ranch over kelp noodles (compliant).  About a cup of the mixture total.  Water throughout.

So.  Aren't you glad you asked?

Now.  Upon reading this, an experienced moderator/Whole30 veteran may think "She's not eating enough."  In a lot of cases that might be true but here's the thing... I have a gastric Lap Band.  I had the surgery almost 8 years ago.  For those not familiar, its primary function is to restrict the amount of food one can consume at one time.  It is great for someone who makes generally healthy choices but struggles with portion control.  And while I know the Whole30 is all about NOT counting/measuring, at that point in my life that method was not working for me.  As a result, I eat when I am truly physically hungry and not out of habit or obligation or boredom.  So, the meals above I ate when I was ready to eat and I stopped when I physically felt full.

Exercise, I have been walking every day.  This is pretty light for me, I am looking to amp that up this week.

Stress level, not currently high, trying to stay chill as we TTC.

Sleep, there *were* a few nights leading into Day1 and in the first few days where I was struggling.  I woke up a lot during the night, was typically up 4:30-6:30 am like clockwork for about 3 days.  Saturday night I broke down and took an ambien.  Last few night I have slept soundly.

I am really, REALLY grateful for anyone who has taken the time to read this lengthy account.  As I said it's better today but not completely.  In fact as I am typing this I am feeling some bloat coming on.  DAMMIT could it be the eggs?????  I have never had an issue with them before, ever, they've always been a mainstay in my diet!!!!

Again thank you all, thoughts/comments/suggestions very eagerly accepted.

Cheers,

Bean

New-ish, and good call!  Because of the Lap Band carbonation is a pretty big no-no but I enjoy the texture (if that makes any sense) of the seltzer/mineral water so it is almost always 3:1 fresh to fizzy.  BUT I am willing to try anything so just fresh w a little lemon or lime for me today!

Thank you ladyshanny!

Bean

Clare thanks!  I am so picking up some peppermint tea tomorrow, that sounds divine right now!!  The veggies are kinda the norm for me but maybe I wasn't eating as many as I thought bc I was mixing them in with the occasional rice or quinoa or potato and those filled me up?

Kinda the same deal today!  Maybe not QUITE so bad bloat as it was yesterday but def still present.  All fresh water today, with a *few* splashes of flat seltzer added in on a couple occasions.  Do we think even the flat added (I'm talking a 1/4 cup in a quart of fresh water) would still make a difference?

Ugh.  I am really hoping it's just part of the detox process and that it will even out soon, this is not something I want to live with forever!

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts, I know everyone is busy and I really appreciate you taking the time!!

G'nite,

Bean

I had to ditch LaCroix sparking water on my Whole30 because it contributed to gassiness. Maybe you could avoid the sparkling stuff and swap out some of the raw and cruciferous veggies for others that are cooked for a few days and see if that helps.

• Moderators

PS: Combined with the fact that I can't seem to get enough sauerkraut. Oy.

Is sauerkraut new for you? Or are you eating it in much larger quantities than normal?

I've toyed with fermenting things myself, and in one of the Facebook groups I joined about it, one thing that people mention is that when they first start eating fermented foods, they have all kind of fun digestive issues, including bloating. The usual advice was for them to back off on the amount for a while (go to maybe a quarter to a half cup a day), and build up gradually. Not everyone gets this -- I didn't, but then I tend to have fermented stuff as a condiment, so I'm not necessarily eating a huge amount at once. And if you're also having other fermented stuff, like kombucha or water kefir, you'd need to consider the total amount of fermented stuff, not just the kraut.

one thing that people mention is that when they first start eating fermented foods, they have all kind of fun digestive issues, including bloating.

yes. Actually, even just eating whole30 can cause bloating at first too if you are someone with candida issues and the candida is dying off. Ultimately this is a good thing, but it does take some time to transition.

or it could be the coconut milk. How is everything now OP?

While you are trying to solve this crazy puzzle:

1. Ginger + hot water = steep. Watch your belly deflate a little. 

2. Do some gentle exercise. Twists are great for this kind of discomfort. Youtube your heart out (bonus: laugh a lot at the video titles featuring the word detox with 99% probability) and do some "organ massaging". Here, I did that for you. 

3. I will be the heretic and say that overhydration deludes food and slows down the digestion. Don't drink too much, just enough. Don't drink your water cold. Room temperature to slightly warm water is better (or so nutritionist friend I have keeps telling me).  

4. Cook your veggies for now. I know it's better to have something juicy and crunchy in the summer, but hey, your tummy needs some help.

3. I will be the heretic and say that overhydration deludes food and slows down the digestion. Don't drink too much, just enough. Don't drink your water cold. Room temperature to slightly warm water is better (or so nutritionist friend I have keeps telling me).  

I think you are totally correct about this. Drinking volumes of water at meals dilutes stomach acid and makes it harder to digest food--the water recommendations are better taken outside of meal time. Cold water in general makes your body and digestion work much harder to bring stuff back up to temp, so extra cold water could play a role for sure.

thanks Nadia  :)

Hi All!!!

I REALLY appreciate the "overhydration" suggestion, thank you! I am usually taking in a ton of water all day but I never stopped to think about the concept of it diluting the acid in my tummy I need to help break things down.

I am also laying off the kraut for a few days (*SOB*) to see what that does.

A pharmacist mentioned the ginger to me today, Nadia, trying that tomorrow.

Truth be told there is actually another recent addition to the mix that is contributing to the bloat. More on that in a few days.

Thanks for checking in all!

Bean

Archived