The crazy things people say

Jessica

I thought it might be fun to start a thread with the crazy sh*t people say. I'm sure we've all had experiences where we go WTF? Did they really just say that? Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's just sad.

I'll start.

"It's OK to eat [white] potatoes if you boil them. It removes all the starch!" -My Dear Grandmother

"Here, I made fresh homemade lemonade and there's no sugar in it... only corn syrup!" -BF's Mom

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Fruit will make you fat" - a fat coworker who doesn't eat fruit.

"I could never eat as much as you" - a fat coworker who eats lean cuisine every day

"How do you eat so much chocolate and stay so fit?" - random coworker

and my favorite..."that's the biggest salad I've ever seen" :):):):)

My dental hygienist told me today that a low-carb diet will give me periodontal disease. She said that the carb digesting enzymes secreted during the eating process do not know what to do when we don't eat carbs, so the enzymes turn into sugar and cause mouth bacteria.

Never heard that one before...

I told her that my periodontal issues had greatly improved since giving up grains/sugar. She said that they will get bad again if I don't eat carbs. (I've been mostly Paleo for 3 years now.)

I didn't bother to argue. What's the point? She is convinced she is right.

The other one is: "Why should I deprive myself?"

My answer: "Why do you eat food that does not nourish your body?"

Their answer: "Because it tastes good!"

My reply: "If your car's gas tank had taste buds and demanded lemonade instead of gasoline, would you comply?"

Their answer: "Of course not! Cars cannot run on lemonade!"

My reply: "Exactly. Your body cannot run on frankenfood. One of these days, it's going to crap out."

Their answer: "My mother ate (insert crappy food here) and she lived to be 90."

My reply: "Good for her. You are not her."

Their answer: "Whatever."

"salad is not a food!"

wha-what? I still wonder what they think salad is.

One of my favorites was a vegetarian co-worker who was drinking a Diet coke and eating Fritos and a hostess cupcake told me that the grassfed steak on my salad would give me colon cancer. I looked at her lunch and then at mine and said "that is a risk I am willing to take."

I was at a health food store today, which I frequent often. I purchased my natural calm mag supplement there a few weeks ago, so when I was checking out today, she asked me how the supplement was working out for me. I told her I had to stop taking it orally because of how it was affecting my tummy/bowels and that I couldn't stand the taste. She then suggested a flavoured one, to which I replied, 'but it's sweetened, and I'm not eating sugar or sugar substitutes'... She said, 'oh, no, this one has stevia, so it's okay'..

Ya, I'm pretty sure it's still a sugar substitute!

Ya, I'm pretty sure it's still a sugar substitute!

:( I bought the sweet lemon flavor to help the BF get some sleep and it has stevia. I didn't even look at the label!! I still use it nightly...he doesn't use it so much (I think it freaks him out that magnesium is a firestarter LOL). I was so disappointed with myself and of course I didn't see it until after I opened it. I am post W30 so no biggie, and it was expensive so I kept it!

My Husband: "I love you no matter how crazy you are"

Me: "And I love you no matter how big you get!"

Even though he is not willing to try the Whole 30, he ate my shepherd's pie with cauliflower on top last night and loved it :-)

I don't need to give up grains cause they don't affect me the way they do you. - my sister

a phone conversation I had with my mom this summer, after I gave up wheat because of being sensitive to it-

mom: So you can't have cake on your birthday? what about coconut pie?

me: no mom, crust has wheat

mom: oh yeah. What about cookies?

me: no mom, cookies have wheat.

mom: oh my, you can't eat much

lol

(I did end up having cake, made with coconut flour. I know not whole30, but sure was delish! That was before I had even bought ISWF)

I don't need to give up grains cause they don't affect me the way they do you. - my sister

a phone conversation I had with my mom this summer, after I gave up wheat because of being sensitive to it-

mom: So you can't have cake on your birthday? what about coconut pie?

me: no mom, crust has wheat

mom: oh yeah. What about cookies?

me: no mom, cookies have wheat.

mom: oh my, you can't eat much

lol

(I did end up having cake, made with coconut flour. I know not whole30, but sure was delish! That was before I had even bought ISWF)

lol my boyfriend asked me if I could have brownies like 3 weeks into my W30. I was like "um....no"

Archived