Reintroduction: a faster fast-track?

Hi, folks.

I'm on Day 25 here and it's been wonderful overall!

Unfortunately, I will begin traveling only 5 days after Day 30  -- I messed this up a bit by starting far later than I'd intended to. I realize it ain't ideal.

In this scenario, any reintroduction tips? I will try to stay as close to the reintroduction schedule as possible, but honestly foresee not being able to have all that much control over my food. Should I consider speeding it up a notch by beginning to implement reintro with one day in between, rather than two? And/or, when I get home, would it be helpful at all to do, say, a briefer period of clean eating, say, a Whole10, and then try to reintroduce things right?

Thanks!

Simone

• Moderators

You risk getting poor/worthless information by speeding up the reintroduction process. Rather than speeding it up, you might be best off starting with whatever food you are most concerned about on day 31. Then take two days to recover and test the food you are second most concerned about. Then just accept that you can only test two foods/food groups in association with this 30 days period. It is not everything we want for you, but at least you can get reliable information from your efforts this way. 

Tom's advice is spot on. I would add that you can try and stay as close to Whole30 as possible while travelling if you desire and then do a Whole10 or so when you return and test the rest. This isn't ideal of course but it should still give you some usable info. 

• Moderators

Another thing to remember, even if you had time to do all the reintros as planned, you probably do not want to treat your trip as an opportunity to eat anything and everything. So choose wisely what to indulge in. Seek out food that is close to Whole30 template meals -- order steak, salad or a burger without a bun rather than pizza or a cheesy sandwich.

• 1 year later...

I'm in a similar situation. We started the whole 30 thinking we needed 10 days for the reintroduction. The last day of our reintroduction we are boarding a cruise ship. We are at day 18 now and I'm trying to plan for our reintroduction but I realized that we can't get through all of the food groups in the 10 days. Can someone explain how you are supposed to get through them all in 10 days?  I already know dairy will be hard on my body so I've thought of skipping it and moving on to others to test since I don't know how my body will react. 

• Moderators

Here's a 10-day plan -- they don't count the two days back to Whole30 at the very end, which I'd recommend doing if at all possible, just to know for sure that any reactions are to the reintroduced food, not the other stuff you have.

If you know you don't react well to something, or if you just flat out don't like something and don't plan to eat it in the future, you don't have to reintroduce those things.

So glad you posted this, I'm going on a trip where I'll be someplace I won't have access to cooking for myself and there will be a lot of eating out just three days after my w30 ends. I'm very nervous about reintroduction and was planning on just trying to keep with the plan on the trip, but I know it's going to be nearly impossible to avoid all no-no foods while eating out most meals for 5 days. I'm trying to be very thoughtful about it, and I like the suggestion of doing the suspected worse trigger first. My concern is that because I'll be partially unintentionally exposed to other products, will I really know what is gluten, let's say, and what's not. I don't want to "waste" my w30, since my mail goal was figuring out my sensitivities, but clearly I didn't plan timing very well. 

• 4 weeks later...

I read somewhere to drink it with every meal.  Don't think I can do that.

Also - getting ready to plan for reintroduction.  Do I understand correctly that you go back to the whole 30 after every introduction?  Or do you keep the things you reintroduce as you go along?

• Moderators

I would not think that the creators of this program would think you're drinking with every meal of a day... that's not healthy or a normal way to consume alcohol.

As far as reintroduction, yes, you stay compliant after each item and remove once tested... there is plenty of information on this website about reintroduction, so before we explain it all in a post, please read up on it and we can answer any further questions.  I can't link from this device but if you google 'whole 30 reintroduction' you get many results from both the creators of the program as well as forum hits and blog posts.

• Moderators

If that's how you normally consume alcohol, then that would be an appropriate introduction.  If you normally drink different kinds of alcohol (wine, beer, grain) you would need to test each of them separately to see what the impact is.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a more specific question. Let's say I was going to introduce Vodka before I introduce grains. Since vodka can be made from grains or corn, should I "count" my reaction to vodka as reintroduction to corn also or does alcohol have its own distinct impact regardless of its origin? Will a reintroduction to corn after having had Vodka in the past few weeks work properly?

Archived