Broth not jiggly - still worth drinking?

Becky1979

I made chicken broth for the first time yesterday and I was SO excited to see how it turned out.  Sadly after a night in the fridge, it's still fully liquid and not jiggly  :(   I think it's because I didn't use a free range chicken so I will definitely rectify that next time around.

Anyway, my question is, if the broth is not jiggly, and therefore doesn't contain much gelatin, is is still worth drinking?  Will I still be getting any health benefits from it?

Chicken broth is generally less gelatinous because of the difference in the bones compared to say, beef, who have a lot more marrow and gelatine available which is what makes the jiggle! To get chicken broth to gel requires a LOT of bones - at least 2 carcasses but more if available. Your broth will still be worth drinking, there will be lots of nutrients still available. It will be good for bases for other dishes too :) it could even just be that you used a bit too much water. Play around with the ratios next time and maybe you'll have better luck! 

So I finally made some broth from a chicken carcass last night and I just checked it in the fridge this morning - it's basically a solid mass like jell-o. I'm taking this as a good sign? But now, what do I do with it? I guess I should actually call it soup because I put in a carrot, an onion and herbs (savory, rosemary and save). Is it a fat? A protein? Both? Just trying to understand how it fits in a template meal. I was thinking of having it for lunch today with a massive green salad on the side. Do I need to add more protein still?

Thanks!

• Moderators

It's something to have as a beverage with a meal, or to use as an ingredient in cooking. It's not enough protein to count as your protein for a meal. It's probably not enough fat to count as a fat source either.

You could add chopped chicken to it to have it as a soup, or make an egg drop soup with it.

It's a base. A precious, flavorful base. I love to add it to my leftover rotisserie chicken with sautéed bell peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, canned chopped tomatoes and herbs to make a hearty chicken soup/stew. It's also great to flavor mashed cauliflower.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm on day two. i made beef bone broth for the first time, starting it on sunday night. i followed the recipe in the book to the letter (i thought!), cooked it in the slow cooker for 24 hours, and after being in the fridge overnight mine is still liquid too. it tastes good but a bit watery. i used "marrow bones" -- there was no meat on them at all, but marrow inside. are those the right bones? or should there be meat on them too (soup bones)? i don't consider it a waste, it's good to drink. but i'd like to make the kind that gets jiggly. i guess more bones less water next time?

• Administrators

i'm on day two. i made beef bone broth for the first time, starting it on sunday night. i followed the recipe in the book to the letter (i thought!), cooked it in the slow cooker for 24 hours, and after being in the fridge overnight mine is still liquid too. it tastes good but a bit watery. i used "marrow bones" -- there was no meat on them at all, but marrow inside. are those the right bones? or should there be meat on them too (soup bones)? i don't consider it a waste, it's good to drink. but i'd like to make the kind that gets jiggly. i guess more bones less water next time?

Sometimes that can be because you used too much water and not enough bones, yep!  Also, the bones that will give you the most "jiggle" are joint bones as that is where most of the collagen is.

More jiggle with the wiggle.  Dem Dry Bones..hip bone connected to the thigh bone,  thigh bone connected to the knee bone.   Any broth you make is worth using and drinking.   Congratulations for making it.  Dem dry bones gonna rise again and your broth will help you. 

Archived