CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Torrential rains today in New England but with relatively mild temperatures-gad to both bundle up and run between the raindrops while out on era so. You Aussies would probably trade places in a heartbeat. Thankfully not snow-would have been several feet in a short time.

Stayed up too late so stayed in bed longer then had to rush out the door. Ate a tin of sardines, a handful of unsweetened shredded coconut, a few grape tomatoes and a cup of pureed vegetable soup. Compliant but not best. Surprise, surprise it didn't hold me as long as my usual template meal. Another lesson...

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Checking in! Day 6 for me. Luckily, the headaches are gone and my breakfasts are better rounded now and I'm enjoying a teaspoon of coconut oil in my morning coffee. My sleep pattern has also been phenomenal, which I attribute to knocking sugar out. 

The weekend was a little more difficult than my micromanaged weekdays. Date night was hard, but totally manageable. My boyfriend and I found a great little Greek restaurant and I had a greek salad (no feta) full of veggies and olives + olive oil and lemon, plus lemon and oregano grilled shrimp and octopus. The bread basket didn't even appeal to me, but I was dying for a glass of red wine. The smell of popcorn at the movies was really tempting, but I had a tiny bag of contraband roasted almonds in my purse and a Nalgene bottle full of lemon water, so I was able to curb the temptation with a compliant distraction. Sugar cravings are minimal, but present most evenings.

Today has been an easy day in terms of meals. Leftovers are my best friend.

M1- 2 scrambled eggs, prosciutto, sautéed chard

M2- Leftover cauliflower rice w/ cilantro and lime topped w/ pulled slow cooker chicken with tomatillos, jalapeños, garlic and bone broth and a little homemade pico 

M3- TBD. Going to a friend's house for dinner. He's vegan so I know there will be plenty of lovely vegetables on my plate, but I better get some protein and fat before or after the meal to round everything out.

Hope everyone's kicking some real butt and sticking with it!

• Moderators

Day 10 here and last night was stinking hot. I'm in the Western Australia and there are bushfires everywhere. Hot. I have been a bit of serial stalker on this post. Up until now everything has gone well. I have been bloated but I noticed yesterday (day 9) that that was waning. I have been carefully paying extra attention to my gut health, starting the day with bone broth with lots of gelatin in it, drinking lots of water and supplementing with daily probiotics. I'm yet to ferment my own veggies.

Yesterday was my tough day. When its this hot, my appetite goes down. So for lunch I didnt have enough to get me through to dinner time, and then I had unexpected guests arrive for a swim in the afternoon to cool off. I managed to provide them with some banana cake but I was hungry from my too small lunch. So I substituted the coffee with bone broth and had a plum. I felt a lot of peer pressure but I got through it. And the world didnt stop.

Then for dinner (saturday night) I was invited to a friends house for BBQ as a thankyou. These people have been through some tough times and I managed to find them a job and help them on their feet a little. With much resistance from the host, I bought my own meat. But the salad...... the salad had flecks of feta cheese all the way though it! I picked off as much as I could but invariably it was consumed. Then the host bought out a bottle of wine. It was a special wine they were waiting to share with me.... they had picked the grapes themselves, and it had been served, believe it or not to Prince Charles who was out here a few weeks back.... So needless to say - I need to start over. I couldn't find it in my strength to say no thankyou given how special it was to my hosts. I did have a glass - my husband kept topping it with soda water and ice to dilute the sugar. The one glass lasted over 4 hours. That in itself is quite new for me. I generally like 2-3 glass on a special event like that.

What was interesting to note, is that very soon after I had consumed the wine/soda water mix - a dull headache began. My sleep was normal (albeit short as it was a late night and the sun rises at 4:30am at the moment). And today - I'm tired. I'm searching for a quick hit of something and my food feels boring. One glass of wine and flecks of cheese and I am not the same today as I was yesterday.

So even though I am starting again. I wonder how long the wine will take to be out of my system. I guess I will know soon. Day 1 - hello again. :(

Good for you! I think that evening sounds like it was worth it to break the reset and I'm exceedingly proud that you're starting over! And maybe even more devoted now that you know that the tiny bit of off plan was impactful so you should be very interested in the re-intro period so you can figure out what things are worth it and what reaction they'll bring and what things are definitely not worth it...Way to go!!

Hi. I'm Winston today is my first day of this new start to change the rest of my life!

I am 228 lbs. 5 '6. BMI 35

On 3 b/p meds hurting all over!

Hoping to slay the sugar dragon. As well as lifetime of bad eatting habits!! Maybe live longer in the process!

Praying I can do this!

Welcome Winston! Congratulations on joining Whole 30! Good luck!

If you can find a butcher who does chicken, they can probably make you some. From the thigh is best, breast can be a bit dry unless they add fat to it.

Will ask my newfound organic butcher (actually a farmer), who had the most amazing rack of ribs I've ever tasted!

Today was tough, plenty of surrounding temptations on family feast, but I managed to withstand them.

M1: sautéed baby kale with minced meat (finally found a purely natural and sugar free version at my newly found BFF - I.e. 'butcher friend forever'), snack tomatoes and cucumber slices

M2: raw veggie plate, homemade mayo and meatloaf cooked up yesterday (with sweet bell pepper, chile and tandoori masala spices). - this while my family was feasting on tomato soup, marinated BBQ and ice cream and cookies afterwards... Hardest to resist was the wine though, felt very satiated after my wholesome meal :-)

M3: fresh salmon baked in ghee with Belgian endives in mayo and lemon dressing (Belgian endives are so cheap here I could eat them daily :-))

I did have a compliant coconut water at home as a small reward to myself - even though I know I must break the cycle to reward myself with food...

So that was day 9 - on to day 10! Lamb chop day tomorrow nomnomnom !

Day 7 here is super hot. Got all my shopping done and managed to find more of the fantastic ghee I found (wish I'd bought it earlier, it has a weird label so I bought every other kind before this one lol) and some organic strawberries :wub: Stocked up on heaps of Kombucha too.

Unless it's the lettuce, other possibilities are the peppers, onion, spices on your steak (is one of them paprika?), lack of salt, too much water today (seems unlikely) or something you ate yesterday.

This is the steak rub - http://awholenewtwist.com/best-steak-rub-ever/ -- there is paprika, which I do use often. I`ve been adding salt to things and been drinking 2.5-3.5 L of water a day for a week or so consistently (getting more in if I`ve gotten up earlier, so avg has really been 2.7-3L). I`ve always wondered if I don`t react well to peppers...I have noticed a bit of an aversion to them probably in the last year. Not severe enough to have stopped eating them, but I do tend to choose other things or avoid peppers and not really like them much any more. Maybe there's been something to that all along...Onion as well, I find it overwhelms certain dishes so I haven't been using onion as much in my cooking in the last 6 months. So those could be culprits too!

I have an uncle who's a bio-chemist and very into physiology/diet etc.  He has always told me that drinking water with a meal dilutes digestive enzymes and slows digestion…so maybe drinking at other times than with your meals will help with the "abdominal distress"…?  Just a thought.  ^_^

Interesting idea! I have heard things about not drinking while you eat - but that explanation is a new one. I'll try that out, too and see if it helps :).

Day 10 going great in terms of energy and positive mood. No headaches. I even went to a CrossFit class this morning and am planning on renewing my membership (it`s been 2 years since I had a membership, when I did I went for 2 years consistently). I really loved it when I was doing it and this morning was a reminder for me that I do really enjoy going, especially the social aspect and the motivation/push by your 'teammates.' 

I had an omelette for a brunch outing today - server was very accommodating of my needs, no dairy in the omelette or used for cooking she said :). But then all afternoon I've had (sorry if TMI) terrible abdominal cramping with diarrhea :( that has not subsided fully. It was 3 eggs, and a whack of veggies - probably some of which I'm learning may be issues for me. It had broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, red and green peppers, onions, mushrooms, green onions, and spinach. Plus a side of fruit (cantaloupe and pineapple) and I brought an avocado ;)! My friends thought that was cute. The server got a chuckle.

I also made the silly call to try black coffee, I picked up a small black coffee on my way home from my errands. YUCK! Oh my god, I do not like coffee. Definitely something I have been drinking for the sweet/boost. I have never been a coffee drinker, went most of my life not drinking it since I didn't like it. But in the lat 3-4 months it's made it's way into my 'pick up a fast breakfast combo that comes with a coffee' routine for my commute. I don't really have a craving for coffee per say, so it's likely the sweet. So after two sips I was done. But then my friend suggested adding cinnamon. Tried that plus some coconut milk (compliant) and it was still disgusting and I had to dump it. This is why I bought a small to experiment with ;). So the coffee probably didn't help, but my symptoms were already happening hours before the coffee and not before that omelette. 

Had some chili for dinner. Finding I don't have the stomach for much right now since I feel so thrown off. Blah :(

Hi. I'm Winston today is my first day of this new start to change the rest of my life!

Hoping to slay the sugar dragon. As well as lifetime of bad eatting habits!! Maybe live longer in the process!

Praying I can do this!

Welcome Winston! You can totally do this :D I have faith in you.

Since you're on BP meds, please touch base with your doctor on your new eating plan, if you don't want to get into the details, just tell them "no processed food". They might want to do some tests at the end to check on your improvements (if so, I recommend doing this before you start Reintroductions).

At this point, I envision a diet that looks very similar to W30 eating, but will likely incorporate mild to moderate cheese consumption (which is much less than I used to eat!) and maybe occasional wine/alcohol consumption.  Just thinking and researching some for now. 

Keep up with the thinking, but until you've done reintroductions, you probably can't make a full plan for life after W30. But it's never too early to start planning introductions :)

Hi there Winston!!  Welcome to the forum.  I am just a member, not a moderator or anything. 

Everyone's experience is valuable here, not just the moderators :) We all have lifestyle hacks, solutions to social situations and different experiences, all are important :)

Torrential rains today in New England but with relatively mild temperatures-gad to both bundle up and run between the raindrops while out on era so. You Aussies would probably trade places in a heartbeat. Thankfully not snow-would have been several feet in a short time.

lol not sure I want to trade for that level of cold ;)

Had some chili for dinner. Finding I don't have the stomach for much right now since I feel so thrown off. Blah :(

You might want to try a nightshade or FODMAP free day and see if you feel any better. Or if it seems a bit much right now, skipping the water during/after meals and see if digestion gets better.

You might want to try a nightshade or FODMAP free day and see if you feel any better. Or if it seems a bit much right now, skipping the water during/after meals and see if digestion gets better.

Just googled FODMAP (http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) - heard of it before, wasn't sure what it included. And you know? Looking at the list, there are definitely some foods that I don't much care for or have some slight aversion to! Like the whole list of beans - the no legumes thing, no problem for me. I've never liked beans...texture thing.

Things on the FODMAP list that I still eat but feel some aversion toward already: onions, asparagus, and celery. Love garlic and cauliflower. Have liked snap peas (although I don't eat snap peas hardly ever). I have cabbage and cauliflower in the fridge right now that were part of my meal plan for this week :s. Oh no! Not avocados too! I haven't felt funny after avocado, and I eat a half with almost every breakfast. Love mushrooms and eat them twice a week ish. Other than that on the list of fruits I have lots of apples in the house where I just bought a bag of em' and I do love apples. I don't eat a lot of fruit so I think I've had one apple since starting my whole30 10 days ago. Grapefruit I love, I've eaten one in the last 10 days. Sausage! I love it, but I would agree that this one throws me off (and pork in general) - and I of course have some dethawed for breakfast in the morning :(. Haven't had anything or gravitate toward having anything under the cereals/grains/nuts list. 

Looking at nightshades - white potato I've had a couple nights this week even though it's something I rarely have (I tend to have sweet or red or yellow). Hate eggplant. Been feeling aversion for tomatoes and bell peppers (not hotter peppers) for a while, but still have eaten them sometimes. I cook with cayenne, paprika, and red pepper flakes often because I like the heat/kick. 

Realistically with the food that I have in the fridge that I don't want to go to waste, I don't think I can do FODMAP and no nightshades while also doing Whole30. I tried to get a variety of veggies and have ended up with lots of things from that list sitting in my fridge right now and even things I don't typically/rarely eat in an effort to have variety. Darn :( I don't know what to do. If there is something that is truly throwing my digestion/body off, I don't want to eat it. But I don't know how to eliminate even more than I already have or waste food.

I think I'm going through every stage of grief as I read these websites on nightshades and FODMAPS lol. Sorry to ramble on...

Hi Meadow!

I love this, so very true.  What I want most will always win in the end.  So if I really just want to be self indulgent, my will power will soon wear out and side track me from healthy choices and results.  But if what I really want is to be healthy, I will be able to sustain healthy habits and attain healthy results, because my heart is alway pulling me in that direction.

Another example as you mention, I want to be a cyclist. So my decisions and my actions naturally fall in line.  I might not ride every single day, but my heart is always pulling me in that direction.  If I didn't want to be a cyclist, and tried to use willpower to force myself, it would be an uphill battle that was destined to fail.

The body is powerful.  The heart wants what it wants.   The battlefield is for the mind.

Praying I can do this!

Hi Winston - I have to start again so I guess you and I are both in this together on the same day plan - 10th Jan was day 1 (take 2) for me.

I have to readjust my calendar as I wrote down the whole 30 timeline so I knew in advance how terrible I might be feeling! The next two days of Hangover to go and then by Wednesday we get to Kill all Things which will be fun to observe how that plays out :) I am delighted to see that the Day6-day7 "I just want to nap days" are occurring on the weekend! Good luck!

Keep up with the thinking, but until you've done reintroductions, you probably can't make a full plan for life after W30. But it's never too early to start planning introductions :)

Everyone's experience is valuable here, not just the moderators :) We all have lifestyle hacks, solutions to social situations and different experiences, all are important :)

Thanks praxisproject!!!

If you've not seen the Timeline before Winston, this is it: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

You may not match it exactly, but if you're feeling weird, it's good to read through, especially for things like Kill All The Things day/s

Just googled FODMAP (http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) - heard of it before, wasn't sure what it included. And you know? Looking at the list, there are definitely some foods that I don't much care for or have some slight aversion to! Like the whole list of beans - the no legumes thing, no problem for me. I've never liked beans...texture thing.

Things on the FODMAP list that I still eat but feel some aversion toward already: onions, asparagus, and celery. Love garlic and cauliflower. Have liked snap peas (although I don't eat snap peas hardly ever). I have cabbage and cauliflower in the fridge right now that were part of my meal plan for this week :s. Oh no! Not avocados too! I haven't felt funny after avocado, and I eat a half with almost every breakfast. Love mushrooms and eat them twice a week ish. Other than that on the list of fruits I have lots of apples in the house where I just bought a bag of em' and I do love apples. I don't eat a lot of fruit so I think I've had one apple since starting my whole30 10 days ago. Grapefruit I love, I've eaten one in the last 10 days. Sausage! I love it, but I would agree that this one throws me off (and pork in general) - and I of course have some dethawed for breakfast in the morning :(. Haven't had anything or gravitate toward having anything under the cereals/grains/nuts list. 

Looking at nightshades - white potato I've had a couple nights this week even though it's something I rarely have (I tend to have sweet or red or yellow). Hate eggplant. Been feeling aversion for tomatoes and bell peppers (not hotter peppers) for a while, but still have eaten them sometimes. I cook with cayenne, paprika, and red pepper flakes often because I like the heat/kick. 

Realistically with the food that I have in the fridge that I don't want to go to waste, I don't think I can do FODMAP and no nightshades while also doing Whole30. I tried to get a variety of veggies and have ended up with lots of things from that list sitting in my fridge right now and even things I don't typically/rarely eat in an effort to have variety. Darn :( I don't know what to do. If there is something that is truly throwing my digestion/body off, I don't want to eat it. But I don't know how to eliminate even more than I already have or waste food.

I think I'm going through every stage of grief as I read these websites on nightshades and FODMAPS lol. Sorry to ramble on...

Don't panic about either FODMAPs or nightshades. It doesn't mean you can never eat any of them, just that one veggie could be a problem.

I am a bit sensitive to nightshades, but only at high "load". I used to make a lot of meals with crazy amounts of nightshade (eggplant + tomatoes + paprika + peppers + chilli, etc etc) and sometimes I'd eat three meals like that. I have never had any reaction to white potato. Some people have a violent reaction to paprika and nothing else.

FODMAPs are weird because they're about digestion. Even with things like latex allergy, some people have trouble with bananas and plantains but not avocado, others can have plantain, but not banana. Some people have strong reactions to grapes but none to apples or melons. Some people are fine with coconut cream but not coconut milk. Some people's tolerance changes as their guts heal.

FODMAPs take a lot more experimenting and "load" is sometimes all it is.

Garlic, onion, cabbage, cauliflower, apple, pears and coconut milk are ones that sometimes people really like but can make them ill.

This is why a food log can be really helpful. If one day seems much better than others (or worse), review the log, see if something has changed.

Day 10 is a wrap! Had a pretty good day today. I kept busy with my grandson's hockey game and cleaning and organizing my office. I am feeling very good, no more headaches and crankiness! 

M1- scrambled eggs with spinach, turkey sausage ( I made the sausages) sautéed peppers and onions in olive oil.

M2- Salmon cakes, roasted brussels sprouts 

M3- steak, salad, cauliflower and broccoli

Got through day 10, even though it included some last-minute changes of plan and my first restaurant meal since I started this. I had a beautiful salad with plain grilled salmon and olive oil/balsamic vinegar on the side. It was my niece's 30th birthday and she wanted to go out, so we did! Now I get to eat all the food I bought for tonight (my sister is also doing W30, so it was all the good stuff!).

The other part of the birthday girl's day was the best -- we went to this beautiful outdoor spa in the area and enjoyed the saunas (the Russian banya is the hottest and my fave!), the cold pool (with waterfall) and being able to walk around in the cold in just our bathing suits. I will sleep so well tonight!

getting to that...

Day 10 success, but I'm feeling so hungry now... I ate the same, or more... the last two days and I am finding myself much more hungry than the last 8 days!

M1: 4 eggs with onion, spinach and 1.5 slices bacon

M2: giant salad with lots of veggies, 1/2 large chicken breast, 1/2 avocado and walnuts

M4: like 4 cups chicken soup with 1/2 avocado (at least 1/2 a large chicken breast in the soup with carrots, onions and celery)

Same amount of food I've been eating.. And I'm full when I'm done eating, then like 15 mins later I'm starving again whereas last week I stayed full until a little before the next meal. Is it normal to go through a "must eat all things" phase!?!

OMG - first workout in three years or more. And I powered through! I totally blew my expectations O.U.T of the water! OK my weights were significantly less than everyone elses, but sheesh. How about that. Chicken curry for M1 served me well.  :D  (Restart Day 2, Day 11 otherwise)

• Moderators

Day 10 success, but I'm feeling so hungry now... I ate the same, or more... the last two days and I am finding myself much more hungry than the last 8 days!

M2: giant salad with lots of veggies, 1/2 large chicken breast, 1/2 avocado and walnuts

M4: like 4 cups chicken soup with 1/2 avocado (at least 1/2 a large chicken breast in the soup with carrots, onions and celery)

Same amount of food I've been eating.. And I'm full when I'm done eating, then like 15 mins later I'm starving again whereas last week I stayed full until a little before the next meal. Is it normal to go through a "must eat all things" phase!?!

Are you coming up on your period (assuming you're a woman of that age). If so, then it's possibly that... some women (myself included) report eating near twice as much in that time... I can easily eat two breakfasts and lunch, dinner and a minimeal...

I also don't know how big '1/2 large chicken breast' is as related to your palm, but it's probably not enough food. The template (linked below) says 1-2 palms (width, length, thickness) of protein so you could stand to eat to the higher end of the template. Your vegetables look a little sparce too... greens, when cooked or chewed down are nothing... your breakfast has limited veg (unless you ate 1.5 onions) and your dinner has scant vegetables too. Try more fat also. Whole avocado or do 1/2 avo and olives or mayo and avo etc...

Give upping your intake a try and see if that helps. You shouldn't be hungry again in 15 min.

• Moderators

Day 10 is a wrap! Had a pretty good day today. I kept busy with my grandson's hockey game and cleaning and organizing my office. I am feeling very good, no more headaches and crankiness! 

M1- scrambled eggs with spinach, turkey sausage ( I made the sausages) sautéed peppers and onions in olive oil.

M2- Salmon cakes, roasted brussels sprouts 

M3- steak, salad, cauliflower and broccoli

Was just passing through and noticed there's no fats with your meal... don't be afraid of the fat... add some mayo to those salmon cakes or a nice avocado to the dinner. (cooking fat is often not counted because it's generally not very much and a lot of it stays in the pan).

Hi there

​This is my first post and as I live in New Zealand I am approaching the end of day 11.  I am mostly vegetarian but have included fish in my whole 30 to give me more options.  I dont mind that I dont have alot of variety as I find it easier to just stick to basic meals for planning purposes.  It is summer down under so getting out and going for walks has been easy and a great way to distract myself.  I am off to my first gym session tonight since starting so that will be interesting.

I have enjoyed reading every ones posts and experiences.  I realise that it is a personal journey and not everyones will be exactly the same.  Not too hard so far but still a long way to go.

My goal for this week is to cut out snacks and make sure that all my meals are following the recommendations.

I would be hungry eating only that much chicken breast, I'd need more protein and fat, probably more starchy veg too.

Hungry in 15 minutes may be lack of fat. If you were eating a different protein before the recent chicken breast, you may have unknowingly dropped your fat intake. I find I always want mayo with chicken breast :)

OMG - first workout in three years or more. And I powered through! I totally blew my expectations O.U.T of the water! OK my weights were significantly less than everyone elses, but sheesh. How about that. Chicken curry for M1 served me well.  :D  (Restart Day 2, Day 11 otherwise)

Way to go! :D huge NSV! It doesn't matter what other people's weights are, first workout in THREE YEARS! :wub:

You can do a little dance. I also have developed a love of curry for breakfast and I am no longer embarrassed to say so ;)

​This is my first post and as I live in New Zealand I am approaching the end of day 11.  I am mostly vegetarian but have included fish in my whole 30 to give me more options.  I dont mind that I dont have alot of variety as I find it easier to just stick to basic meals for planning purposes.

Welcome Lynda :) Quite a few of us from across the pond.

If you're going to eat seafood, there aren't many better places to do it than New Zealand :D

Was just passing through and noticed there's no fats with your meal... don't be afraid of the fat... add some mayo to those salmon cakes or a nice avocado to the dinner. (cooking fat is often not counted because it's generally not very much and a lot of it stays in the pan).

Thanks! I thought that the EVOO I was cooking with would count as my fat. 

Nope, don't count the cooking stuff :)

Mayo is great as you can put it on (almost) anything, same with avocado.

Olives are handy if it's a meal you don't really want to alter.

I misunderstood how to get the fat component in my meal. Thanks for the suggestions, definitely will add it to my meals. Thanks. 

I realized that I have an inner child who can be undisciplined with food, focused on the pleasure of eating.  Before W30 it was in eating sugar etc.  During my first W30 it was in emotional  or undisciplined pleasure eating with healthy food.  So I think it is possible to be 100% compliant with what I eat and still maintain an unhealthy use of food.  

This time through I am focusing on Love and Limits for that inner child who was not disciplined with food.  I am as strictly compliant with how and when and why I eat as I have been with what I eat.  

I kill the sugar dragon by never giving in.  Same with emotional eating or "thrill eating" as Meadow calls it.  Change bad behavior by never giving in.  Consistency is important in discipline and change. So it is as important to follow the meal template, as it is to eat 100% compliant food.

Archived