CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Day 8 done! I had a hilarious evening with my daughter - she lives fairly nearby with her partner and our horses (plus a couple boarders). So of course, I got to clean stalls and help bring the beasties in. The youngest (a yearling) decided to go on a tear just because, and ran all around before he finally decided it was boring being outside in the snow when all his food was inside the barn. We pulled off all the burrs he had run through, not slowing his meal down a bit. Any kind of attention is all good in his book.

Then we went in to have supper (tuna and tons of veg stuffed inside a raw red pepper, with olive oil vinegar and herbs, and a pile of olives on the side. And some pomegranate. yum.) and then made two cheesecakes for a party she is throwing tomorrow. I never liked cheesecake, and did not even lick a single finger or crumb. Not even tempted. Luckily she was out of other tempting things like wine!!

My stomach is feeling less constantly full, I hope that the digestion is improving -- will try extra coconut oil and other fats tomorrow. G'night!

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished my first week today. I stayed totally and completely Whole30. It's been an awesome ride with no hiccups! Part of the ease is that I've been cooking everything. Even took my own almond milk to a coffee date today and just added it to an espresso. Next week is my first planned restaurant outing - my mom's birthday party - and I'm bringing my own salad dressing. I don't want to take any chances, and frankly, the salad dressings I'm making are the bomb! I have to thank Ms. Mel of Well Fed fame for that :) I'm ready for week two -bring it!

I had a great sleep last night and when I woke up this morning I felt wonderful! But this afternoon I was so tired! I came home from work and have been resting and napping all evening. I hope I am not so tired tomorrow! 

M1- scrambled eggs with spinach and sweet potato

M2- Chicken meatballs and spaghetti squash

M3- Chicken breast and roasted broccoli and cauliflower 

Friday night cravings for...something. Anything. Except steamed fish. I'm thinking it's that habit of a glass of wine to end the week. Or maybe a snack reward. Something that serves as weekend marker. Too cold, dark, and windy to do a walk down my nice country roads. Best to snuggle into a nice warm bed with my book, knowing that I'll wake up happy after a nice long sleep. Cravings remind me that I still have more to learn about eating to live rather than living to eat. And that I need to plan better to not be caught off guard like this.

You might want to find a special tea that's just for the end of the week, have it in a special cup, put your feet up and relax :) Or a nice hot bubble bath

Day 9 down, have been driving and in work meetings all day so adherence to meal times has been tough.

I had M1 around 7.30am with some liver, two compliant bacon strips, an egg and a some kale but was actually not really hungry and had to force myself to eat and then took some leftovers with me . I then had to drive for 2 hours and was in a meeting from 10am to 1.30pm so was crazy hungry by the time I came out. Thankfully I had prepared with bringing food but ate M2 during the half hour drive to my 2pm meeting (while also driving-bit of an effort!!). For that meal I had some salmon I had poached in the morning with some ghee and garlic, a boiled egg and some left over kale from breakfast-a bit average but almost hitting the macros (fat content down a bit but I had some coconut flakes after it). Out of that meeting by 5.30pm and pretty sure because I had such a gap between M1 and M2 I was again ravenous! Got to my hotel room and gobbled down 2 boiled eggs as a snack before nipping off to the supermarket and getting some pre-made salad (with no dressing), some sparkling mineral water and some lychees and a mango and raspberries. Came back and mixed the salad with the roast chicken I cooked last night [and packed for today] and an olive oil/balsamic dressing. I then had half a mango, about 4 or 5 lychees, and some raspberries with coconut flakes. Far cry from my normal comfort food room service and/or hotel restaurant orders but definitely made me realise how much I have been lapsing of late with bad habits on my work trips. Will definitely be tightening up my act around this from now on. Quite proud of myself for getting through it though, and definitely starting to realise the importance of the regular meal times and appropriate macro ratios. 

I had some good news and bad news today.

The bad news is my favourite organic berries were all sold out  :lol:  #firstworldproblems

The good news is that my adrenal supplements seem to be working and I'm now allowed to have coffee again (very small yay! :P )

My cortisol is now normal (HUGE YAY!  :wub: ), the only thing off now is my DHEA, which is very low (should be 15, is <1 :blink: )

But I'm going to get retested after my Whole30 is finished and see how it is as the cortisol has corrected much quicker than I expected.

An interesting thing I learned today is that DHEA is *only* produced in the body during a certain time at night, stopping at 1am. Another reason not to stay up too late ;)

Friday night cravings for...something. Anything. Except steamed fish. I'm thinking it's that habit of a glass of wine to end the week. Or maybe a snack reward. Something that serves as weekend marker. Too cold, dark, and windy to do a walk down my nice country roads. Best to snuggle into a nice warm bed with my book, knowing that I'll wake up happy after a nice long sleep. Cravings remind me that I still have more to learn about eating to live rather than living to eat. And that I need to plan better to not be caught off guard like this.

Ooooo, I felt the same. Yesterday was day 8.  I had a terrible unsatisfied feeling all day.  I was not craving anything in specific, just felt crabby from resisting unspecified desire, and probably from being deprived of all my normal treats.  Plus the weather is so bad here I can't get my usual endorphins from a big bike ride.

I refused to try to pinpoint what food would scratch that itch and instead focused on why I want to conquer this control by unhealthy food.  I read a quote from Meadowlily, "It is easier to resist the first desire than it is to satisfy all the rest."  I don't want my brain chemistry to be hijacked by sugar, wine etc.

So I did it!  I made it through.  I found that the thrill of victory trumps the thrill of indulgence.  Whew!  

One week down. My energy has been good, mood is stable, and cravings are only lasting a short while. I'm having trouble incorporating veggies at breakfast, so that is my goal for the next week.

The only problem I'm having is my restless leg is flaring BAD. It is unbearable. I take an iron supplement, magnesium, and Valerian Root every night. Before starting, my RLS was minimal and usually would bother me only when attempting to go to sleep at night. Now, it is constant and only stops when I'm walking. I can't increase my magnesium any more without bowel-based consequences. I remember it doing this my last Whole30, but I can't remember when things calmed down. Just trying to ride it out right now and hoping for the best.

I have also determined that eggs are no good for me. I haven't eaten eggs in months because I developed an egg aversion during my last Whole30. I attempted to eat some for breakfast this week. I developed a small itchy rash on my face and neck, and still had trouble stomaching them. The egg aversion is old, but the rash is new.

You might want to find a special tea that's just for the end of the week, have it in a special cup, put your feet up and relax :) Or a nice hot bubble bath

Today I head to my food co-op and will be checking out the wall of teas there. Also will bring a little jug for the kombucha on tap. It's all about the planning, isn't it. Thanks for good words.

Hello, fellow Clinical Psychologist!!! :)

Well hi there Nova Scotia!!!  (I know your screen name is greenhm, but "Nova Scotia" sounds pretty cool).  Congrats on Day 8!  I'm on Day 7 now.  Had the best night's sleep I've had since I started, and feeling very grateful for that.  Anyway, very nice to meet you.

Been a while since I checked in.  Everything has been going pretty well except for a slight headache the last couple days.  Going to make sure and up my water intake on D9 & D10.  Hopefully that is the culprit  

Had some Zuppa Toscana for dinner this evening along with a sweet potato, onion, broccoli hash.  The soup was a hit with my 7 and 9 year old so that made me feel pretty good. 

My motivation to get out and run is about zero right now.  Its going to snow tomorrow so I am going lace up and give it a whirl.

Cheers!

Zuppa Toscana is one of my favorite soup recipes, but I didn't know I could have it on W30???  I guess if we put our W30 compliant homemade sausage in it and substitute something for the whole cream (what did you use?), we could have it :)  Let me know what you used for cream substitution and maybe I can make it this weekend yay!

Good morning everyone! I am starting day 9. And I am very worried about not being at work today and tomorrow and following my Whole 30. I realize I have terrible eating habits and an unhealthy relationship with food. This awareness started last night on my home from work. I started thinking about comfort food, relaxing and watching tv. I think I was missing the foods I eat to comfort myself. I came home with a plan of what I would eat for supper, which was good. I thought I would have a small mini meal of almonds. I had one small handful, but did not feel satisfied, so I had one more handful, which turned into several large handfuls before I ate my supper. I am very worried about my old habits sneaking in while I am home for the weekend. Yikes!!! :(

I am wondering if anyone else is realizing their eating habits and relationship with food and what they are doing about it. If anyone has any tips or suggestions about this situation I would greatly appreciate hearing from you! 

I agree regarding having a "special drink" in place of wine... I read somewhere on this forum that a lady has pelligrino with a squeeze of lime as her special treat in the evenings.  So, every evening when my hubby is having his wine, I pour my pelligrino in a wine glass and say "cheers!"... it has helped me a lot.

Good morning, day 9!

Had a great sleep, and thankfully my digestive system has responded to the back-to-work legislation initiated by the green fibre party and the heavily armed FAT team. It feels a good bit better, and I hope to start having more normal full/hungry signals some time soon.

I am not having any cravings at all, just some vague nostalgia, but the scale is whispering to me as I go by. I do not want to lose weight, but it thinks all this fat I'm eating must have put on some poundage. I am ignoring it. I would get rid of it, but my taller half is somewhat obsessed with weighing himself multiple times per day. I'm not sure why - he is in amazing shape (for an old guy!) and should not have a worry in the world about his weight. In any case, I just tell the thing to shut up. I am still not used to all this fat, though. Olives are the easiest so far. Nuts also, but I try to keep those for only 3-4 times per week. 

So happy Saturday -- 

Day 9 and I'm so glad this is a WHOLE 30….I'm going to need every last day of it to get this fine-tuned.  I'm amazed at how easy it is to "assume" I can eat as much as I want if it's of the right stuff !   My "inner child" says "NO wine??..well then, you clearly deserve to have 5 thousand calories a day of anything 'compliant' "…Sheesh!

I resent having to actually pay attention to the Meal Template..(I'm a know-it-all and don't need no stinkin' template ! ) ;)

So, all the food is great but now I have to start decreasing portions since over-eating is one of my favorite "substance abuse" tactics . This will be the hard part...

I agree regarding having a "special drink" in place of wine... I read somewhere on this forum that a lady has pelligrino with a squeeze of lime as her special treat in the evenings.  So, every evening when my hubby is having his wine, I pour my pelligrino in a wine glass and say "cheers!"... it has helped me a lot.

This is exactly what I had last night in place of a glass of champagne, wasn't so bad and certainly a lot cheaper! 

Did some running around shopping today -picked up a nice, strong, black coffee. That's how I usually drink it I. Got home with some left that had cooled and now didn't taste so good. Put some coconut milk in it. It was ok. Whipped in my Magic Bullet then re-heated. I think I've just died and gone to Starbucks heaven! I learned with last year's W30 reintro that dairy doesn't agree at all with me. Sad to lose my occasional Starbuck's latte and my summertime iced coffee. I think I just got a new lease on life!

Hi everyone! I'm checking back in to say I'm still here. The past few days have been really rough, but I'm clinging on to my Whole30 like a life raft. It's day 9 already, how did that happen?

Day 8 eats:

M1: 4 eggs, black coffee

M2: chicken protein salad, broccoli

M3: steak, roasted cauliflower

Yeah, yesterday was a rough day. I was struggling to get motivated to eat. I'm glad I ate as much as I did, but I need to do better. Life Stuff is really kicking me in the head right now, but I'm working on it. I didn't go to crossfit all this week so I could sleep in a little. Last night I got a glorious 10 hours in! I would have slept more except the one year old decided it was time to get up, bless her little heart.

Last night was particularly difficult. I was so tempted to say "screw it" and bake brownies and open a bottle of wine. I was home alone with just the toddler and after she was in bed I got really lonely. Instead of going off the rails and raiding the pantry, I called a friend then watched "Trainweck" while drinking La Croix. I feel so much better this morning than I would have if I had given in to the emotional cravings.

Time to tough love it a little bit and do better today!

Good morning everyone! I am starting day 9. And I am very worried about not being at work today and tomorrow and following my Whole 30. I realize I have terrible eating habits and an unhealthy relationship with food. This awareness started last night on my home from work. I started thinking about comfort food, relaxing and watching tv. I think I was missing the foods I eat to comfort myself. I came home with a plan of what I would eat for supper, which was good. I thought I would have a small mini meal of almonds. I had one small handful, but did not feel satisfied, so I had one more handful, which turned into several large handfuls before I ate my supper. I am very worried about my old habits sneaking in while I am home for the weekend. Yikes!!! :(

I am wondering if anyone else is realizing their eating habits and relationship with food and what they are doing about it. If anyone has any tips or suggestions about this situation I would greatly appreciate hearing from you!

Same for me. I'm going to start some cooking. It's weird but working with food seems to make me think less about actually eating it at that moment. Sometimes after a big cook up, I'm not hungry even though it might be time to eat. Nuts are deadly for me - talk about food with no brakes. I'm not so sure almonds count as a mini-meal - maybe more like a snack. Maybe a beverage before supper would work better-something you could look forward to.

Day 9. I's tired. No good reason either. Whole 30 you say? Okay. One thing stands out today. I feel No. Skeletal. Pain. None. I can't remember a day like this in recent memory. I'll take the tired.

Armed with a huge winter squash and root vegetable salad, I'm going off to 7 yr old granddaughters bday party. So I've got my plan. Taking a cut of meat to bbq. Life is good.

But I'm tired. So tired.

I like all the ideas you all are sharing in this forum. I learn something every time I open it. I have Its All About Food coming in the mail. So many firsts in this last week. And I find I like dried mushrooms with eggs for breakfast. That was a surprise. Let's keep on keeping on.

Start with thinking about non-food ways to comfort you and experiment with those instead.  Put on some music you like and dance around, paint your nails, read a book, do a puzzle or craft, call a good friend, use an adult coloring book, whatever.

On the mini-meals, the recommendation is to only have those when you are truly hungry. The litmus test for that is to ask yourself if you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli. If the answer is yes, have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat, or at least two of those components.  You experienced why it's not the best idea to have just nuts, as they can turn into food without brakes for some. Think about booting nuts off the island for a while, if you find that becoming a habit on your Whole30. 

The only problem I'm having is my restless leg is flaring BAD. It is unbearable. I take an iron supplement, magnesium, and Valerian Root every night. Before starting, my RLS was minimal and usually would bother me only when attempting to go to sleep at night. Now, it is constant and only stops when I'm walking. I can't increase my magnesium any more without bowel-based consequences. I remember it doing this my last Whole30, but I can't remember when things calmed down. Just trying to ride it out right now and hoping for the best.

Are you getting enough salt? If you like Frank's Red Hot or other salty sauce, you might want to have some with your dinner.

I thought I would have a small mini meal of almonds. I had one small handful, but did not feel satisfied, so I had one more handful, which turned into several large handfuls before I ate my supper. I am very worried about my old habits sneaking in while I am home for the weekend. Yikes!!! :(

Hey, it might have been a lot of nuts, but you're still compliant. Don't beat yourself, learn from the lesson :)

I find plain nuts and plain fruit often set me up for weird eating. For a mini meal I try to have all protein, fat and vegetable and avoid nuts and fruit (I keep those for meals). Did you have anything ready-to-eat in the house? If not, that's one of the things that's made a big difference for me, when I'm tired and hungry and there's something ready to go, I can eat well without a lot of effort. If I have to cook, I might be looking at something to tide me over a bit. If you weren't eating late, you also might want to make the meal beforehand bigger, so you're not so hungry in the lead up to the next one.

I am not having any cravings at all, just some vague nostalgia, but the scale is whispering to me as I go by. I do not want to lose weight, but it thinks all this fat I'm eating must have put on some poundage. I am ignoring it. I would get rid of it, but my taller half is somewhat obsessed with weighing himself multiple times per day. I'm not sure why - he is in amazing shape (for an old guy!) and should not have a worry in the world about his weight. In any case, I just tell the thing to shut up.

Good for you! :D Big NSV (haha! it really is a Non Scale Victory  :lol: )

I'm going to need every last day of it to get this fine-tuned.  I'm amazed at how easy it is to "assume" I can eat as much as I want if it's of the right stuff !   My "inner child" says "NO wine??..well then, you clearly deserve to have 5 thousand calories a day of anything 'compliant' "…Sheesh!

I resent having to actually pay attention to the Meal Template..(I'm a know-it-all and don't need no stinkin' template ! ) ;)

I know it sounds crazy but you don't need portions when you stick to the template. It's really hard to overeat on the template, especially over time.

Trust the process, stick to the template :)

Hi everyone! I'm checking back in to say I'm still here. The past few days have been really rough, but I'm clinging on to my Whole30 like a life raft. It's day 9 already, how did that happen?

Day 8 eats:

M1: 4 eggs, black coffee

M2: chicken protein salad, broccoli

M3: steak, roasted cauliflower

Yeah, yesterday was a rough day. I was struggling to get motivated to eat. I'm glad I ate as much as I did, but I need to do better. Life Stuff is really kicking me in the head right now, but I'm working on it. I didn't go to crossfit all this week so I could sleep in a little. Last night I got a glorious 10 hours in! I would have slept more except the one year old decided it was time to get up, bless her little heart.

Are you feeling hungry? Might just be the way you wrote it but looks a bit low on the veggies. Sleep is often so much better for you than a workout :D

Day 9. I's tired. No good reason either. Whole 30 you say? Okay. One thing stands out today. I feel No. Skeletal. Pain. None. I can't remember a day like this in recent memory. I'll take the tired.

Armed with a huge winter squash and root vegetable salad, I'm going off to 7 yr old granddaughters bday party. So I've got my plan. Taking a cut of meat to bbq. Life is good.

But I'm tired. So tired.

Yay for no pain! :D :D :D that's a huge NSV! Go you!

Are you getting enough sleep?

Taking any magnesium?

Eating enough?

One week down. My energy has been good, mood is stable, and cravings are only lasting a short while. I'm having trouble incorporating veggies at breakfast, so that is my goal for the next week.

Hi HeatherdOT, I also have had the symptom of "restless legs"…(only at night trying to fall asleep and no actual dx of RLS happily)..but it started to be a big issue when I did my first Whole(25) and has cropped up again now on my Whole30…I feel pretty confident that, for me, it's a "withdrawal" symptom from wine/alcohol.  I never have any issues with restless legs at night when I have a glass of wine before bed.  My hope is that as my "system" gets more balanced this will resolve. If you don't mind me asking, I'm wondering if you ever drank wine before Whole30 and did it make any difference with your RLS? Good Luck and I'll be very interested to see what helps since I'm in the same boat  :mellow: !

Day 9.....

I have been way to busy these past two days to check in on the forum. I had a couple of minutes so I thought I would check.

Everything is going good, not much to report.

The weekends are also hard for me because when working I have my schedule but on the weekends I am all over the place but I have managed so far so good to stick to the plan!

Big dinner tonight but we are keeping it simple, great spaghetti sauce, noodles for everyone else, spaghetti squash for me.

Garlic bread for everyone else none for me.

Caesar salad for everyone, made an amazing complement dressing, so easy so good!

Wine is hard but I will do the same as above and the wine glass makes it taste better.

This is not hard, this is not hard, this is not hard! :lol:  :lol: :lol:  :lol:  

Well hi there Nova Scotia!!!  (I know your screen name is greenhm, but "Nova Scotia" sounds pretty cool).  Congrats on Day 8!  I'm on Day 7 now.  Had the best night's sleep I've had since I started, and feeling very grateful for that.  Anyway, very nice to meet you.

lol, thanks! Good to see some of us here :)

Archived