CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Hi Everyone! Congratulations on your Whole30 commitment!

I'm Stefanie, I am from the Boston area and I love food and wine...so this was a big deal. My lifelong friend introduced me to this and suggested that with my passion for food and cooking, I'd enjoy the Whole30. I disagreed, and it took about a year for me to commit to giving up wine and other libations for 30 days.

I have finally committed. I began on January 4th, with my fiance, and we LOVE IT! I am cooking up a storm, enjoying the delicious oils and fats I normally don't use, and finding new 'sub rolls' in things like purple cabbage, red peppers and butter lettuce.

I'd love to share recipes and experiences with all of you! I completed day 9 today, and am thoroughly grateful to be out of week one. (I was not pleasant).

Best of luck to all!! :)

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you are doing great, making sustainable changes and staying compliant.  Melissa has posted a great article on "goal shielding."  It said if we make too many goals or resolutions at once our brain focuses on the most important one and we sort of fail at the others.  So the bottom line is if all you do is stay 100% compliant for 30 days, that is great!  It is more likely to succeed than tackle a whole bunch of goals at once.

This is a great insight. Now I know why all my other attempts at self-improvement failed. I'd decide I was going to eat better, eat less, drink more water, exercise, spend less time on my phone, get up earlier, read more, on and on! This time I picked just Whole30 and I've had an intense focus on just that and it's working. 

I was able to stay compliant battling this flu/cold thing I caught. I was worried I wouldn't be able to follow the program, but I did. I did food prep when I felt I had energy and rested when I felt tired and weak (sigh). I am positive I will feel better tomorrow! 

M1- 3 scrambled eggs with peppers, mushrooms, and spinach, black olives

M2- Hamburger and home made mayonnaise and  left over roasted broccoli and cauliflower

M3- Chicken Chower (delicious) 

Healthy eating everyone. 

This is a great insight. Now I know why all my other attempts at self-improvement failed. I'd decide I was going to eat better, eat less, drink more water, exercise, spend less time on my phone, get up earlier, read more, on and on! This time I picked just Whole30 and I've had an intense focus on just that and it's working. 

I am a big fan of a system called tinyhabits - their stuff is very tiny and you're still only allowed a max of 3 per week (each one must be <60 seconds).

I like the simplicity of W30, the system is simple, it's only our supermarkets and restaurants etc that make it difficult.

I was able to stay compliant battling this flu/cold thing I caught. I was worried I wouldn't be able to follow the program, but I did. I did food prep when I felt I had energy and rested when I felt tired and weak (sigh). I am positive I will feel better tomorrow! 

Me too, we are pretty awesome! NSV for us! :D

I like the simplicity of W30, the system is simple, it's only our supermarkets and restaurants etc that make it difficult.

Grocery shopping while doing this has been shocking and depressing. I just can't believe that I can walk into this huge building with aisle upon aisle of shelves higher than my head filled with "food," and other than the produce section, almost none of it is nourishing. We have an entire aisle of chips. Another entire aisle of breakfast cereals. An aisle of carbonated beverages. It gets disgusting after a while! In particular, learning just how many foods contain sugar has been enlightening. This will definitely lead to permanent lifestyle changes for me and my family.

Day 13 for me, just finished M1.. And I am so frustrated. My stomach felt fine during the first week, when it should have been adjusting and now when my energy and sleep and cravings are better my stomach feels awful. This has happened on all of my whole30s and I know I should pinpoint what's giving me trouble, but in the past after whole30 I reintroduce some grains out of deaperaion and I feel better. Im pretty dead set on sticking to this for more than 30 days this time and see if I can pinpoint what causes it... But it's so annoying to be where I should finally feel good, and my stomach can't get on board.

M1 the past two days and today: 4 eggs, onion, sweet potato, spinach

M2 the past two days: large salad with lots of veggies (lettuce, spinach, peppers, cucumber... Etc), grilled chicken, some fruit, nuts and plenty of oil.

M3 Monday: stuffed pepper with ground beef, kale, onion, zucchini, tomatoes and side of avocado

M3 last night: two chicken sausages, zucchini and squash, avocado

It's the same basic stuff I've been eating for all 12 days now! The only thing I have narrowed down so far is it only is a problem in the morning, and it MIGHT just be mornings after I have salad for lunch. Still got to experiment some..

Day 13 for me, just finished M1.. And I am so frustrated. My stomach felt fine during the first week, when it should have been adjusting and now when my energy and sleep and cravings are better my stomach feels awful. This has happened on all of my whole30s and I know I should pinpoint what's giving me trouble, but in the past after whole30 I reintroduce some grains out of deaperaion and I feel better. Im pretty dead set on sticking to this for more than 30 days this time and see if I can pinpoint what causes it... But it's so annoying to be where I should finally feel good, and my stomach can't get on board.

M2 the past two days: large salad with lots of veggies (lettuce, spinach, peppers, cucumber... Etc), grilled chicken, some fruit, nuts and plenty of oil.

M3 Monday: stuffed pepper with ground beef, kale, onion, zucchini, tomatoes and side of avocado

M3 last night: two chicken sausages, zucchini and squash, avocado

It's the same basic stuff I've been eating for all 12 days now! The only thing I have narrowed down so far is it only is a problem in the morning, and it MIGHT just be mornings after I have salad for lunch. Still got to experiment some..

Same here…stomach unhappy since about day 10….feels like just too much fat for me.  I'm used to a very low-fat diet and I think my gall-bladder is having a little trouble ramping up to such a lot of fat…cooking w/oil, eating food with ghee, avocado, coconut milk 3 times a day is just a lot…hoping to get past this soon.

Hey all

Well day 13 is moving along well.  Food is good and on plan.

M1 - Three poached eggs, Sweet Potato/ground pork/veggie mash and small banana

M2 - Three sausage, cabbage/kale salad and small apple

M3 - TBD ... Thinking a nice steak and some salad with maybe some roasted potato

Last night I spent an hour doing mobility training (Foam rolling, rolling with lacrosse balls, band assisted stretches).  Then there was a class on mobility and I did it all again.  Two hours of mashing and flossing muscles and today I feel very ouchy!!! I go from very limited mobility work to a marathon session.  Oh well, what does not kill you, makes you stronger!

Overall... feeling pretty good and my ankle is getting better!

Cheers

DJ

Ok, I woke up at 2:30 am couldn't get back to sleep.  I have felt terrible all day.  I'm at work so no nap.  I have a 5:00 apt so I should be home by 6:00. 

I am anticipating that my defenses will be down and my desire for a treat will be up because of the stress of no sleep.  So I want to plan now, on this forum, to just eat my dinner, no snacks, treats etc. Then curl up with a book for a bit and go to bed.

Thank God I precooked some veg and precooked some steak in the sous vide.  I just have to sear the meat and heat the veg.  I'm think I'll have rutabagas, a sweet potato w ghee and a steak for dinner.  Maybe an orange too.

I'll let you know how it goes! 

[snip]

Have you tried swapping out your sweet potato for white potato? Sweet potato is a FODMAP.

Same here…stomach unhappy since about day 10….feels like just too much fat for me.  I'm used to a very low-fat diet and I think my gall-bladder is having a little trouble ramping up to such a lot of fat…cooking w/oil, eating food with ghee, avocado, coconut milk 3 times a day is just a lot…hoping to get past this soon.

Add in some acids like fresh lemon juice along with your fats, this helps with digestion. You can also try changing your fats around, olive oil instead of ghee, etc.

Ok, I woke up at 2:30 am couldn't get back to sleep.  I have felt terrible all day.  I'm at work so no nap.  I have a 5:00 apt so I should be home by 6:00. 

I am anticipating that my defenses will be down and my desire for a treat will be up because of the stress of no sleep.  So I want to plan now, on this forum, to just eat my dinner, no snacks, treats etc. Then curl up with a book for a bit and go to bed.

Thank God I precooked some veg and precooked some steak in the sous vide.  I just have to sear the meat and heat the veg.  I'm think I'll have rutabagas, a sweet potato w ghee and a steak for dinner.  Maybe an orange too.

I'll let you know how it goes! 

Oh good plan April, sleep deprivation is very hard on the body. Try and have a lot of starchy veg with your dinner and have it a bit closer to bedtime.

You might not be getting enough starch to last you through the night.

praxiproject:

Don't panic about either FODMAPs or nightshades. It doesn't mean you can never eat any of them, just that one veggie could be a problem.

I am a bit sensitive to nightshades, but only at high "load". I used to make a lot of meals with crazy amounts of nightshade (eggplant + tomatoes + paprika + peppers + chilli, etc etc) and sometimes I'd eat three meals like that. I have never had any reaction to white potato. Some people have a violent reaction to paprika and nothing else.

FODMAPs are weird because they're about digestion. Even with things like latex allergy, some people have trouble with bananas and plantains but not avocado, others can have plantain, but not banana. Some people have strong reactions to grapes but none to apples or melons. Some people are fine with coconut cream but not coconut milk. Some people's tolerance changes as their guts heal.

FODMAPs take a lot more experimenting and "load" is sometimes all it is.

Garlic, onion, cabbage, cauliflower, apple, pears and coconut milk are ones that sometimes people really like but can make them ill.

This is why a food log can be really helpful. If one day seems much better than others (or worse), review the log, see if something has changed.

Thanks for the info! I think there are things on the list that I'm fine with and others that I'm not. I am finding naturally I've backed off some of the foods already and eat them rarely. Good point about the load :). I may experiment with that later. Right now, too many things have been changed for me to really get an accurate read on that.

Day 13 done! Haven't checked in in a couple of days. But yesterday and today were AWESOME! I felt great! Consistent energy, alert, good mood, able to focus, and I got a lot done today. I have started back at CrossFit as well, which I think has given me a bit of a self-esteem/confidence boost (thereby leading to a good mood :) ). I worked up to a 3-rep back squat of 125lbs! I did CrossFit for 2 years then took some time off. I've thought about it on and off, but realized over the last week that I was really missing it - the exercise, social aspect, the community, motivation, pushing myself, having a trainer, and the pride / confidence I felt doing it. So even though my back squat wasn't the same as I'd been able to do before, I wasn't hard on myself. I thought about it, then focused on congratulating myself for starting back up in the first place! I know that I'll build back up in no time :). I felt energized after. Honestly, today I didn't stop (in a good way). I got up at a good time, I made a good breakfast, went to CrossFit, played outside with my dog, and got a bunch of house chores off my to-do list, and even watched some Netflix in there to relax after dinner ;). With all of this, I'm crossing my fingers, I'll be tired out and have an awesome night's sleep (which has improved, but not 100% yet). Yay :)

Hello Whole 30 January peeps!  I am also on Day 13 and feeling great.  This is my second Whole 30, my last being last March.  I loved it!  I did try to do a second round twice since then with no success, but I have been mentally psyched for this one and it is going great.  I am doing it this time with my husband and son.  My son is getting really sick off eggs in the am, and won't eat much fruit, but besides that, we're rocking' it!

Way to go everyone!

Day 13 coming to a close - it is feeling more and more "normal". I have had to keep portions of protein and fat to the lowest recommended amounts, but since I did that my digestion is feeling great. Tons of veggies is always my happy way to eat. Those of you with stomach issues - for me it was avocado and general going beyond thumb size for fats. Olives work well when I don't want a big dose of oil or ghee. Nuts also agree with me well on the few times I use them as my fat. 

Gym tomorrow morning! I'll have just the pre-workout part of the meal before I go, and finish the rest of breakfast afterwards. Looking forward to it - but I know I'll be sore.

g'night!

Hello All, had an ok day today, starting to get over this flu. I made some mayonnaise (it turned out) and some clarified butter today. So feeling happy with that. 

M1- 4 scrambled eggs with peppers and mushrooms, 1/2 avocado

M2- hamburger with mayonnaise, salad with basic vinaigrette

M3- Chili, roasted broccoli and cauliflower, salad with basic vinaigrette, 1/2 avocado

Good night!

Well I made myself eat breakfast this morning. Hopefully this is just a coincidence, but I have been starving all day!

Breakfast Coffee with ghee and coconut oil, unstuffed cabbage with ground beef and tomatoes.

Snack apple with almond butter

Lunch salmon, carrots, Cole slaw, broccoli with mushrooms and yellow squash

Supper boiled eggs, decaf with ghee and coconut oil and an Rx bar (I know, not the best and no veggies, but I was running late for church so it was grab and go.

Hi all, I'm checking in after going a bit AWOL on this thread. Still in it! I had a horrible time of it Sunday and almost threw in the towel. Then I remembered a big reason as to why I was doing a Whole30 this time around - I needed to get a lot of my emotional eating under control during this particularly stressful time in my life and find better ways to cope instead of food. I finally white-knuckled through some heinous cravings (and lots of ribeye steak, my guilty pleasure) and am happy to report that I am still in it!

Okay, and my first food dream last night, I'm almost excited about this? I dreamt it was my son's birthday so I took him to Safeway (local chain grocery store) and we ate all the cheesecake and sheet cake. In my dream, I ate so much I was sick of sugar. Which was great because when I woke up, I felt like I had gorged on cake and sugar was the last thing I ever wanted to see again! Lol, it was a weird way to conquer my sugar dragon for today! Not even my favorite treat sounds appetizing right now. 

Oh, and I was eating baby carrots this morning and I swear some of them tasted sweet. Like, honey sweet. It was amazing crazy.

Finally, tough love request: If anyone asks me, "missmunchie, are you eating enough veggies?" the answer is probably no, and I need to go eat more veggies. Feel free to ask me that frequently.

Praxisproject, thanks for the encouragement!  It really helped me to be accountable on this forum.

I did it!  I had previously written a plan for dealing with temptation.  I started on the drive home to visualize myself making good choices and having self control. (instead of thinking about what treat I would like).

I thought about how great I would feel the next morning, proud of myself instead of let-down.  I started thinking about the inner child who wants a treat and needs love and discipline instead.  Then I said it all out loud, i.e., what I really want and need, that I don't want to go back to unhealthy ways, that I want today to  be day 14 instead of day 1.

This was break through for me towards real change.  I am glad to stay 100% compliant, but I am also very glad not to revert to emotional eating.  And let me tell you it was a hard day.  Not just sleep deprived, but frustrating encounters on many other fronts.  

So what I ate for dinner was a piece of steak w sautéed mushrooms, rutabagas, and mashed cauliflower w. bone marrow.

WooHoo!  Time to celebrate with a healthy reward, like a manicure or a massage.  :-)

PS, I backed off coffee yesterday from 3 cups back to 2.  And I slept through the night, 9 hours, not waking once.

Good Morning Everyone!

Did not sleep very well last night, hard to get to sleep and hard to stay asleep so a little tired and cranky.  :(  :(

Did well yesterday, had a supervisor's meeting yesterday with lunch served. As everyone was dining on delicious bruschetta, manicotti, grilled chicken (did not know how it was cooked so stayed away) and yummy deserts..... I had salad and fruit, and a couple of boiled eggs. And although everything looked wonderful, I was not even tempted so that is a NSV !

Day 14......... Keep up the good work everyone!

Calling all January 1st Whole30'ers! Where are you?! Whether you're a newbie or veteran let's gather here for support and encouragement to start off 2016 with a bang! Who else is starting Jan 1? Comment here and introduce yourself! Let's do this!

I'm Keely and I live in KS. I've done about 7-8 Whole30's in the past couple of years and it's never failed me. But I feel like I need this one more than ever. I let the holidays totally kick my ass. I plan to extend this Whole30 in to 60 or even a 90 maybe! January 1st is welcome here! :) Bring it, 2016!

Calling all January 1st Whole30'ers! Where are you?! Whether you're a newbie or veteran let's gather here for support and encouragement to start off 2016 with a bang! Who else is starting Jan 1? Comment here and introduce yourself! Let's do this!

I'm Keely and I live in KS. I've done about 7-8 Whole30's in the past couple of years and it's never failed me. But I feel like I need this one more than ever. I let the holidays totally kick my ass. I plan to extend this Whole30 in to 60 or even a 90 maybe! January 1st is welcome here! :) Bring it, 2016!

Hello Wendy here from Northern California's Wine Country - Windsor, CA -  Yes, I say this a bit for sympathy, as wine is a food group and staple if you live in this region!  I am starting my first Whole30 on Friday, Jan. 1st.   I have recruited my daughter and boyfriend to join me so we can support each other.  My book arrived today and I have already read through half of it.  We went grocery shopping for the right foods already.  I am looking to make some of the bone broths this week to have as a hot beverage throughout the day so stave off cravings and snacking habits throughout the day.   I also have my fitbit charged and ready.   Hopping to get at least 3 miles per day. I look forward to all your support and to supporting you!

Hi, i started my 1st Whole 30 Jan. 1st.... do I need to start over after not knowingly eating chicken breasts containing carrageenan? Or sulphites in the Reallemon product? I read the label after and realized of these additives so I've stopped using these items but do I need to start back at Day 1 for this error? Thanks!

Good Morning Everyone!

Did not sleep very well last night, hard to get to sleep and hard to stay asleep so a little tired and cranky.  :(  :(

Did well yesterday, had a supervisor's meeting yesterday with lunch served. As everyone was dining on delicious bruschetta, manicotti, grilled chicken (did not know how it was cooked so stayed away) and yummy deserts..... I had salad and fruit, and a couple of boiled eggs. And although everything looked wonderful, I was not even tempted so that is a NSV !

Day 14......... Keep up the good work everyone!

Way to go Donna R! I will have a tempting and challenging situation in a couple of days! What you wrote is the inspiration I need! Thank you! :P

Day 14 NSV: I'm a college student, doing courses online from home. So my school is totally self-paced and it's up to me when I'll finish my degree. (a good thing and a bad thing) Which means that some days when I don't feel like doing school.... I just don't do school. Often, before my Whole30 I would eat waaay too much junk (which took time away from school, especially if it happened every other day) and then feel nasty afterwards and just mope around all day, getting no school done. Then I'd feel unproductive and unhappy, and the cycle would repeat. Not good. BUT since getting rolling on my Whole30, I've been getting school done!! Food is fuel, not something to think about constantly and indulge in endlessly. Life is more than food, y'all. 

Archived